Maternal & Child Community
Any moms planning to FORMULA feed only?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Any moms planning to FORMULA feed only?

Hi - I am 32w today, and I've gone back and forth for months now on whether or not to bf or formula feed.  I think I have finally made my decision on formula feeding only.  I really am not inviting criticism from anyone who thinks I should bf (I've heard it all already), but I'm looking for support from anyone who has chosen the same path as me (or not) and has some encouragement for me.  I've gotten so much criticism from so many people lately regarding this decision, though I know it's nobody's business but mine and DH's (I haven't gotten any flack from my family, thankfully), and I'm so hormonal that I have such a hard time feeling good about any decision I make these days.  Any thoughts and encouragement would be much appreciated.    
I have a month old and I debated it also, but I chose to bottle feed.  She is my first and it's alot easier because anyone can feed her and on those nights that they wake up every three hours it gets hard.  Also I am going back to work at 8 weeks would have been 6 but I had to have a c-section.  My advice is to make sure you wear a very tight bra from Day 1 after birth, and some dr.s recommend a ace wrap but I found that uncomfortable, so I just wore two sports bras day and night for about the first 2 and half weeks.  I heard alot of **** while I was pregnant but after I had her and was bottle feeding I didn't hear anymore.  Formula is a hard thing to do though because they get really gassy, but you just have to find the right one for the baby.  I am using similac Alutimum.  But started out on the similac advanced.  Bottles I don't recommend the airevents by playtex because they have like a zillion parts (6 parts per bottle) and also the nipples are either extremely slow flow or very fast flow.  there is no in between.  I am currently using Advent naturallys the only place I Have found them is CVS, the nipples come in either 1 hole, 2 holes, or 4 holes.  The 1 holes come on the 4 ounce bottles and the 2's on the boxed 9 ouncers and the 4 holes come in a package of just nipples.  They are supposed to be formed like the breast but I just like the milk flow at medium, because my dd gets mad if she has to work for it and then quits eating.  The fast flows cause her to choke on the milk.  Also they don't bubble to bad, and keep the milk pretty air free.  Good luck no matter what you chose and like i said they say stuff now, but after your baby is born they won't say a whole lot.  
hi there well i too am planing to formula feed my DH this time is OK with it but that's only because all other three times i breastfeed i got mastitis and ended up with a fever for over two weeks and in so much pain as i have a blocked milk duct  so this time im not putting myself through it at all i wish i had just formula feed the other two form day one would of stopped a lot of pain i say go for it and never mind what anyone else has to say about it you do what you think is right for you and your family dont worry about anyone else's opinion im not this time, they have had there turn with there kids this is mine  
I am probably going to formula feed only.  I have also received some negative feedback, but for me it's really more of a scheduling issue.  I am a teacher and school starts back August 8.  My baby is due July 29th! I will be taking some time off, but I will also have to run back and forth to school.  I work with profoundly disabled students and I just can't stand the thought of leaving them totally dependent on a sub for 6 weeks!  Formula will help me with my schedule.  I think formula vs breastfeeding is a very sensitive, but personal issue.
I have been going through the same battle.  I did try to BF my first DD and I hated every minute of it.  My husband was real supportive and helped as much as he could but she had acid reflux and had to eat every 2 hours and screamed in between times and no one could feed her but me.  By the time I got done feeding her I had about 1 hour to rest before it was time to go again.  She would eat so hard she busted both of my nipples.  I still want to try again because of the benifits for the baby and the weight loss for me.  So I am taking the middle road.  I am renting a electric pump and I am going to try pumping and supplementing with formula and see how that works.  If I can't handle it I will stop and just do formula.  You do what you feel good about doing and don't let any one make you feel guilty.  My Dr. even told me that formula was great and she formula feeds her new baby that was born in Feb.  Good luck.
why do people cricise for not bfing. I am bf, but sometimes I wish I wasn't.

I know loads of people who have ormula feed only and to tell you the truth their lifes seem so much easier than mine.

If you decide to formula feed only great, unless as your child eats and grows healthily then does it matter how you feed your child.

Also my sil had post natal depression and my mother had to feed her son, he has grown up to be as healthy as his sister.

Go fot it and good luck with the baby.
I'm formula feeding and did so with all my children...DS is my third....this issue drives me crazy...do what YOU feel is right for YOU and YOUR BABY...don't let others influence you into something you are not up for...I tried to bf my first and due to prematurity and other factors was not successful...i was a lot less stressed bottle feeding. For me bf was hard...Ive had friends who bf and it was a zip for them...others one baby did well while another did not. I do feel that if you are going to bf you need to be sold on it or you won't do it for long. There are many factors involved in this decision....mine was made for me the last 2 times due to meds i am taking. I agree with another poster that when you do bottle feed peo. don't say anything about it...it is more of an issue when you are trying to decide before the baby is born...good luck
im only going 2 bottle feed,took me a long time 2 decide. didnt bf my 8 yr old and he is fine. he also has a fantastic relationship with his father as his father done alot of the feeds when he was a baby. i think it helped them 2 bond.
Thanks for insight. Why the tight bra (or 2 sports bras)?  I know this sounds ignorant, but I have an idea it has something to do with getting engorged and leaking, but I'm not into that part of my child education classes yet, so I was waiting to ask then.  
Thank you all SO MUCH for your kind words of encouragement.  I really felt like the only person out there planning to formula feed.  Thank you thank you thank you.  
You are so welcome! Be confident in your decision. The tight bra thing is the breast milk coming in will be very uncomfortable! Ice packs and cabbage leaves helped me a lot. I will last a few days to a week are your milk comes in...don't stimulate or pump!
I can only picture what I do with the cabbage leaves!  What do I do with them?  Again, ignorant question...
i used the cabbage leaves it dose help not sure how but it dose i now i like it as i got engorged my breast became very hot and the cabbage leaves cooled them down which i never thought i would like but hey that's what got me through my DH thought it was funny so did my kid but it worked
sorry they are for engorgement....the breasts will get large and full and hot from the milk...place the cold leaves in your bra and they help with the engorgement...don't really know how but they do..some say it is an old wives tale...so be it ...it worked for me...
Yeah the two bras is to keep pressure on them so they don't get as full, it's crazy I was a size DD before pregnancy but after I must have been around a F.  My breast felt like play dough just before it hardens.  I asked the nurse about the cabbage leaves and she said your supposed to wet them and freeze them and they naturally cup your breasts.  But I think the ice packs did just as good, although I never was in a lot of pain (maybe because I prevented it), it was just  a reminder they were there.  Also they told me not to face into a hot shower to turn your back to the water it keeps them from leaking and then refilling.  Like the other person said don't simulate them or pump them or they will fill even more.  You'll need breast pads for the leaking they will leak a ton even though your not feeding.
Breast pads, cabbage leaves...this all sounds like so much fun!  Thanks for the GREAT information!  I am pretty ignorant about this stuff.  I've been so focused on baby this whole pg.  Now that I'm getting close, I'm starting to also think about the stuff I need.  Thank you all again!
my sister used cold packs, the gel kind and stuffed them in her bra.

i'm more than likely bottle feeding too. i had breast surgery(not elective) and the doc doesn't think i can nurse.

don't feel bad, when you made this decision i know you weighed your situation and are doing what will work the best for you, making your baby much happier.
Thank you for that nice comment at the end! :)