Maternal & Child Community
Any one else use a Doula or planning to?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had a Doula attend the birth of my daughter, and she was just great...I plan to use her services w/ the birth of my next child due in Dec. I was suprised when I tell women about having one, that They have no idea what a Doula is and what they are for. I was wondering if any of you out there have had a Doula with your births or if you are planning to have one..
Great to hear about this. B/c this is my first pregnancy and my baseline is anxious, I thought best for me to have someone there all for me during the labor and delivery. My husband is great but I know we'll both be overwhelmed and my idea was the doula can help him to know how to help me or at least b/w the two of them hopefully one or both can be of assistance to me. I plan to get an epidural even though I thought most women hire doulas for natural births, but I figure I'll be at home during labor for a long time ahead with the doula, as the hospital sends women away until they're closer to delivery -- at least contractions 5 minutes or less apart. My main goal with the doula is to help me stay calm with pain and the unknown, though I usually have a good tolerance for pain but don't know for labor! Let me know if you agree with this - reasons to hire a doula. Also she does postpartem services -- helping at home but not sure to hire her for that. I plan to breastfeed so hard for her to help with night feedings and my mother offered to come (she lives 2 hours away) but again I thought good to have a more professional person help us in the beginning when just learning breastfeeding and getting used to having a newborn.
I had a natural birth, complete w/ no pain med at all. My doula was just great and I wanted one for the same reason as you mentioned, to help my hubby. She was great for him, and I really looked up to her for advice. She helped both of us, and was planning to help us labor at home as well. However, My labor was only 3 1/4 hours long exactly (can you believe that?, 1st baby delivered drug free in under 4 hours) and The trip to the hospital was 30 min. so she just met us there. After, she said she felt bad getting paid, since my labor and delivery was unbelievably short. The best part about our doula was the beautiful, touching account of our birthing story she wrote for us as part of her services, She wrote a 2 1/2 page typed story about the birth of our daughter, how she saw it through her eyes. It was so moving, and I cry everytime I read it, because her details bring it back to life the day our daughter came into this world. I know not all doula's do this but maybe you could ask if that would be something your doula would be willing to do. I would recommend a qualified doula w/ experience to any one, whether you are having a natural birth or other..I really enjoyed having one.
I had a doula with my last, and she was wonderful.  I ended up having complications and she became an important liason with the emergancy crew that showed up in my l & d room.  She also cared for my very worried family who was in the waiting room.

This time I think my dh wants to be the only coach.  I'm not sure why, I loved having an experienced woman in there.  But the good news is my cousin is an l & d nurse and we may be able to request her.  The nurses in our maternity hospital are trained like midwives.  They have a real desire to keep things as natural as possible.