Maternal & Child Community
Any tips for sore throat during pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Just wondered if anyone had any tips for dealing with sore throat (other than the pregnancy-approved over-the counter meds).  So far I've been depleting my toddlers' popsicle supply, have tried gargling salt water, and have upped the humidity in my bedroom...
i like honey and lemon with hot tea.
Thanx for asking this question! I have been battling a sore throat for the past 3 days now. I am in my 2ww so I don't know if I am preggo or not, but I didn't want to take any risks in taking any medicines. I'll definitely have to try the honey and lemon in hot tea.

One thing my gpa told me to do and it has worked for me in the past - take mentholatum (sp?) and put it on your throat (where it is sore) - then put a warm rag over that and let it sit for awhile. Sometimes I swear I can actually feel it pulling the soreness out!! :)

I've done the lemon and honey in tea. Its soothing. Also you can try gargling salt water, it really does help. Try to keep drinking water, its always good to keep hydrated.  Sometimes allergies can cause a sore throat, but if it gets really bad and doesn't go away, you may want to get a throat culture. Not sure if you've ever had strep Throat before but if you do get it you need antibiotics or it can get really bad (I had strep a few times growing up and wow, I can definitely tell the difference between strep throat and a normal sore throat).
Other than the regular OTC meds and losanges, I would contact your doc if your sore throat lasts more than 3 days as that's typically a sign of infection that may very well need to be treated with antibiotics.
Hot tea , honey and limon yt hek a lot, fell bether
I DONT KNOW IF IM PREGNANT YET I STARTED OUT WITH A COLD THEN FEELING LIGHTHEADED HAVING THIS WERID *** DREAMSZ BOUT BEING PREGNANT AND MY BABY DADDY AND I'VE BEEN HAVING CRAVINGSZ MAJOR HEADACHESZ ACHING THROUGH MY FINGERSZ BUT THE ONLY THING I DIDNT DO YET IS THROW OUT I BEEN FEELING TIRED ALOT HAVING MOOD SWINGS LIKE CRAZY IN THE MORNING IM FEELING OKAY BUT LIKE AROUND 6 OR 7 I START FEELING BITCHY. I DONT KNOW IF IM PREGNANT OR NOT. AND I HAVE A LIL SORE THROAT THAT'S BEEN THERE FOR A MINUTE + A STUFFY NOSE A LIL BIT MY BOOBS BEEN HURTING A LIL BIT ON THA SIDE BUT THAT NOT MUCH. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT LET ME KNOW IF IM PREGNANT OR NOT. OR WHAT PLEASE AND THINK YOU.
did you think to take a test
Try warm Dr Pepper with lemon in it if the patient does not like warm tea with lemon. The heat is soothing and the honey coats and protects it. Use chloraseptic for occasional relief....like right before you need to eat :-)

I have heard of mustard packs on the chest but do not know anything about it personally. Good Luck!
i do just lemon juice with honey because i don't want any caffeine while i'm prego, I just warm it up because it is pretty nasty but it works!
i'm 23 weeks preg and found out i'm anemic. I have this horrible pain in my throat that feels like a swollen tonsil, it's not the first ive had it either. although when i had it before i used chloseptic spray it numbed my throat and the pain was gone within a few days. although now i don't know what to do!!!

ive tried gargling salt water and it felt a little better but the pain just comes back....

I hate honey! it makes me feel sick..

although i love lemon, if i try a few slices of lemon in hot water do u think that will do any good?

Something I like (especially right before bed) is a cup of hot chocolate with peppermint in it. I will melt a miniature peppermint patty, or even a piece of peppermint in the hot chocolate and it makes my throat feel better...at least temporarily.
If you do the peppermint patty, keep stirring it for a while because it sometimes takes a while to melt. Otherwise you'll see a blob at the bottom of your cup.
I can't do honey and lemon...GAG! LOL

Oh, and hot chocolate (at least the Swiss Miss brand) is 99.9 % caffeine free...great for when you're preggo!

Other than that, drink lots of water and keep using Chloroseptic spray. Those are the only things that really get me by.
Funny that there is more then "2" comments"...... hehe

I hate most kinds of honey, and could not even smell any of them until I tried Alfalfa honey. It is absolutely wonderful and puts all the others to shame hands down!! See if you can find some of that and just try it, I was surprised how good it was!

Also, pregnancy tea helped a lot!
I am 12 weeks pregnant and I have been with sore throat since 5 days now and it seems like it getting worse every day. I went to see a doctor yesterday and he doesn't think it is  a strep throat, which I believe is a baterial infection...
He prescribed a narcotic pain reliever Hycodan, which is a cough syrup and causes drawziness but this morning I feel my sore throat is getting worse even though couphing went away.
I have no fever and that's why he believed it might be a viral infection.

Any ideas?
I am 10 W pregnant! started with sore throat 2 weeks back, was even admitted in the hosp as oral meds werent staying in with vommitting due to infection had cased serious dehyderation. now the infection is gone but its been 5 days and i havent slept as having baaaaaaaad dry cough and pain in the ball of the throat.cant swallow even warm water. and thus bad headache.my doc nw refuses to give any oral meds( allopathy) as she is scared for the baby....i ve tried honey, salt water gargle,ginger,cinnamon,turmeric, home remedies with min and basil and lemon tea. even tried some homeo meds.....i m sick of the ailment.anyone can please help bail me out of my misery!