Maternal & Child Community
Anyone PCOS?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Anyone PCOS?

I've heard a lot of people on here speak about PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome)

How did you know you had it?  I know one big clue is that you have irregular menstrual cycles, unexplained weight gain, ovulatory pain, acne, excess hair...

I just wondered how you knew you had it?  Did a doctor suspect it?

I've never had irregular cycles.  I've always been regular.  However, I am overweight and have a family history of diabetes (which I know insulin resistance is a part of PCOS).

Do you think I should ask my doctor about it?  Or, am I pretty sure that I don't have PCOS because I've always been VERY regular with my cycles?

What do you think?
i was diagnosed with this about 10 years ago. main symptom was irreegular periods. went to an RE, where we did clomid/ultrasounds and they determined that no full follicles were forming. small ones that never matured. i dont know how good a diagnosis that was. in any event, i lost 100 lbs and that seems to have done the trick.
Hmmmm.... Interesting.

So, in your opinion, do I have this???  I've gotten pregnant without even trying twice in two months....  I miscarried the first, and I think the second one was a chemical pregnancy.

Also, I've always had regular cycles.

Would these two factors exclude me from having PCOS?  In your opinion.....
the fact that you're conceiving and have regular cycles seems to suggest that you don't. my partner has had 2 pregnancies and she weighed 230 at the start of each.. so weight alone is certainly not a prohibitive factor if all else is fine. in my case, i used to weigh around 270 and i think because of that, my hormones were off, ovulation didnt happen regularly, hence the inability to conceive. as soon as i got the weight off, periods came back on their own. in your case.. do you see an RE? this is something i think they could look for via u/s and test for, PCOS women usually have high testosterone. but again, irregular periods is one of the first things they ask about. since you're conceiving, seems they ought to be looking in other places for answers.
Twice Adopt---

You've been such a support for me in your posts!

I too am very overweight right now, and am working at losing.  I think I'm going to ask my doctor about it, just in case.  However, since I did conceive, it looks like it probably isn't PCOS.

Also, I have some friends who are pregnant now----one is pregnant now and hopefully her partner will be in a few years.  Did you guys do IUI or IVF?  I'm glad you were both able to have babies!  :)

In your opinion, do you think I should lose weight before trying again?  Or should we just try again right now and hope for the best.  I know your partner was overweight when she carried a baby.  Just wondering what your opinion is.  :)
A friend of mine had this. She also had Type II Diabeties. She started on Glucophage, lost weight and was pregnant in 6 months.
how much infertility workup have you had? have they tested your progesterone levels, etc, after the 2 m/cs?
I too have had 2 healthey pregnancies on my own and they resulted in 2 DD's. I have been TTC for 12 months now and had a blighted ovum last year. I did not have irregular periods but they were long 35 days regularly. So do you have long cycles as this is another sign of PCOS. my gyno diagnosed me with a Trans vaginal u/s it was the first thing he did and he said "Do you see all those black dots they are cysts and you my dear have PCOS." He also told me that any cycle that is well over 28 days is not normal. I was anovulatory and I had lost 15 kg thinking that weight was an issue. It did't help and I am now on my 2nd clomid cycle and I o'd both months, 29day cycle the first month so now it is just up to timing the BDing this month.
progesterone is probably the first thing they will check, it's a simple blood test (my regular OB tests for this, didn't need a special fertility doctor.) good luck with the appt! As to whether losing weight will help avoid m/c - i've never heard anything to suggest that it would. the weight won't be a problem as much as related complications - such as diabetes, etc.
I have PCOS. At first i was diagnosed with hypothriodism. your thyriod control alot. Metabolism, mood, energy levels, ect...
then a while later was when i was diagnosed with PCOS. My periods are very irreg. I have them at the most 3 times per year and the last only 3-4 days. I had a ultra sound of my ovaries and had only 1 cyst, so I thought for sure I didn't have PCOS but the rest of the symptoms i have, overweight, acne(thank God for olay daily facials), excess hair on face(what would I do without wax?) so the doctor diagnosed me with it. He put me on a med called metphormin.

the reason I went to the doctor in the first place was because i started gaining weight without changing my diet. I have eventually put on 70 pds. and because my mood was never predictable. One minute I would be happy the next mad at the world. I am always tired.

One of the main symptoms of PCOS is not being able to concieve (conceive). Before I got preg with my daughter i only had 1 period. then i got preg agian and had my son. the doctors can't even explian it and tell me I am extremley lucky. After my son I went 4 years without bc and didn't get preg. I think PCOS is a wierd diagnoses. Nobody is the same. everybodys story is different. If you think you have it, it doesn't hurt to ask your doctor. My endocrynoligist said there is no test for it. The way you are diagnosed is if your symptoms add up.

Maybe ask your doctor to check your thyriod????
I have PCOS and was diagnosed by my GYN/OB when I couldnt concieve (conceive) after 1yr.  I have weight issues (obesity all my life) and altho I had a period each month, it was always extremely long stints of bleeding.  He did a v-ultrasound and saw my ovaries were full of little cysts.  Given that I was trying frequent excercise to no shift in weight and ate reasonably healthy and 1 year of tracking ovulation I shuld of been pregnant.  Hubby was checked and sperm count was great so it had to be me! From the first month of consistent checking by my gyn we discovered that I never infacted ovulated (opk's can read wrong!!!!!!) and the trial and errors started from there.  I had 3mths of clomid which only stopped my cycle and never made me ovulate and then I went onto self injections of puregon (fsh shots everyday until o then one shot of pregnyl which is the hcg shot to promote egg release).  I had success on the 3rd cycle being pregnancy but after a rollercoaster of emotions I mc may just gone at 9weeks.  I waited one cycle after dnc and started back on fertility injections and the 2nd cycle got pregnant again and happy to post am 7wks pregnant tomorrow.  I find it a little difficult to shout about just yet as we are still yet to see a hb or bub as in week 5 we only saw a gest sac but fingers crossed I will be shouting our good news this wednesday after we see the gyn/ob again.  Dont give up and get a doc to check you as they are the only ones with the certificate to tell you if you have it or not.  A great site I have found is http://www.pcosupport.org/forums/index.php its another forum but reading what others are going throw puts your mind at ease that your not alone.

Good luck

Trudy
No they haven't done ANYTHING yet.  I have a doctor's appointment on Monday.  It's with a regular OB....I've never had any fertility work-ups.

SO I'm going to ask about:

Progesterone
Baby Aspirin (or other blood clotting issues)
Insulin Resistence

I hope they will test me for all of these things.
i had pcos for about 3 years. i had irregular periods, heavy bleeding, infertility, and very bad horrible cramps. i finally found a doctor who diagnosted it and it turned out i had endometriosis on top of that. i had a laposcoscopy done in i think may and i am happy to say i am almost 9 wks pregnant. ask your doctor about it won't hurt!
good luck to you
I was 17 when I had my first child. I took one shot of Depo and didnt see my cycle for 12 years, which to me didnt seem unusual considering I never had normal cycles. Once I found out I had PCOS the doctor told me I could never conceive normally. I lost a total of 40lbs and ended up pregnant (naturally). I found out when I was already 12 weeks. Missing cycles was normal for me and the last thing I thought about was being pregnant. My signs of PCOS was missing cycles, excessive hair and the diabetes. You need to ask your doctor because I wouldnt have know if the doctor didnt took some test. When they did the ultrasound I had a cycst the size of a golf ball. If you suspect you might have it ask your doctor. If you do then the doctor should take steps or lead you to better information and treatment.

Nena