Maternal & Child Community
Anyone ever had a tooth pulled whie being pregnant, also to apologize.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi ladies,

I was wondering has anyone ever had their tooth pulled while they were pregnant? Because I got mine pulled Monday afternoon and my gums are really bothering me. I called the Dentist and they haven't returned my phone call yet. So I was wondering if anyone had any advice on this matter? Because I'm happy they pulled the tooth, but it still hurting just not as bad as it was before it was removed.

Also, I wanted to extend my apology about my post yesterday. I think it's the hormones kicking in. Because I have had post that have been answered I quess. I was just going through and I saw were other people had posted an dno one answered and I just got bother about it.So once again if I offended anyone yesterday I'm very sorry.
I have not had a tooth pulled but I do have medical problems that have had me on pain medicine almost the entire pregnancy so if you need something for pain talk to your doctor, they will tell you if it is an option or not. I think in some situations the pain and the stress it puts on you is worse for the baby than the medicine. Good Luck!! Ginger
I think I would start by taking some tylenol for the pain.  That is Ok to take.  I don't think I was pg when I had a tooth pulled but I have had some filled before.  If the tylenol does not work I would call the dentist back and demand you get an answer tell them this is the second time you've asked.  

About yesterday's post don't worry about it.  If you look back on the rest of them EVERYONE was very testy yesterday.  I just had to sit back and laugh.  Thank God we were not all in the same room together yesterday.  We probably would've killed each other.  I think everyone yesterday was offended by something someone said.  O well hopefully everyone has calmed down now and like we have all said sometimes people post things that no has answers to.  I'm glad you decided to stick around.  Take Care.
Hey Nanny - I don't really have any advice to you about your dental problem - a friend experienced the same thing but the pain went away in a couple of days.  Just wanted to say that I am glad that you decided to continue with this board.  My prayers are with you and everyone else on the board.
Vickielyn
I have worked many years in the Dental field. What kind of pain are you having? Is it just usual extraction pain? Was it an absessed tooth? Were you given an injection for numbing or did you do the extraction cold turkey? OUCH!

Some suggestions:

Make sure you keep gauze over the extraction site and bite down gently. This helps to form the clot and also keep it in place.

No drinking through a straw as this causes dry socket which is the most painful thing I think I have ever seen.

Applying a cold compress to your cheek (on your face) near the extraction area may relieve some pain and the feeling of pressure.

Try to eat mostly liquids as solid foods can irrate the gum or get wedged in the socket creating more pain.

Try an anti-inflammatory of some sort (not sure what you are allowed in pregnancy) but they do wonders. We usually reccommended 800 mg motrin before the procedure and every 6-8 hours thereafter. I believe this can be safely taken after the first trimester, however, check with your OB. Pain meds can be prescribed by the DDS for this, however, most wont do this without a permission slip from your OB. Same with numbing you up before the procedure, most like to have that medical CYA in your chart.    

The socket heals by bottom filling in first then the top. It takes a few days and can be painful in the process. Were sutures used? If so then some of these instructions change.

Look for signs of an infection. Abnormal pain, fever, nausuea, and abnormal swelling.

Okay, I feel like I'm a post op instruction sheet now. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Side note: I saw a post the other day stating dental x-rays were the most unsafe x-rays to have during pregnancy. Just wanted to clarify that this was not totally true. Most pregnant women choose not to have ANY x-rays (I would as well) therefore classifying all of them unsafe in that respect. It all honesty, you get more exposure sitting in front of your microwave, TV or sun then you do with a simple dental x-ray. Most offices have information regarding the amount of KV (exposure) given for each film taken. You can certainly ask for that info. Dental X-rays are usually not taken in the first trimester, but can be safely done in the second and third with the patient's permission. Each office does differ in that respect though. Just wanted everyone to know this in case they have a dental emergency and needed an x-ray while pregnant. You can have it done.

Heather
I have a question as well,

I'm going to have my wisdom teeth removed last week of March and wanted to know the effects of having this procedure (anthesia and novacane) if I was pregnant??  If I conceive next month, it would be mid-month, so I'd be 3-4weeks pregnant (I have AF begining of month and ovulate mid-month).

Could this cause a misscariage?  Anyone know??
This alone would not cause a m/c, however, it is not a procedure that one should have while pregnant. Are you having all four removed? Are you beind sedated or just numbed? There are various types of anesthetics that can be used not only novocaine which is beneficial. Is there any way you can move the appointment to later on in the month or maybe have it done now so you can ensure you are not pregnant? If your dentist knows there is a possibly you may be pregnant he/she will most likely postpone your procedure. The reason behind this is that nobody can ensure an easy extraction especially if lateral impaction, possible abssess, or caries could the case. The teeth can break off at the root or gumline causing the need for a more involved surgical extraction. Also the need for pain meds afterwards is very strong, this would also be an issue if you were pregnant. Hope that helped some.

Heather
I had an appt. in June to have a wisdom tooth pulled, and when I informed my dentist that I was pregnant, she refused to perform the extraction.  I begged, she was adamant!  

To Nanny:  Take Tylenol for discomfort, eat soft foods, keep the hole packed with gauze, and do not sip drinks through a straw.  The vaccuum created will dislodge the clot (aka dry socket, no fun at all).  Did your dentist know that you were pregnant?  If not, tell him/her now.  If yes, follow the post-extraction advise he/she gave you.  You may have left the office with Vicodin or similar for pain along with Ibuprofen if the dentist didn't know you were pregnant.  Vicodin is ok (but confer with your OB before taking), but Ibuprofen is not.

To stephw:  Tell your dentist if you are pregnant at the time of the extraction.  Tell your dentist that you are actively TTC if you can't confirm a pregnancy at the time of the extraction.

Regards,
Shelly
Thanks for the info. and Yes, I will be sedated, and they are only doing the bottom two, not all four. I really can't move it to another week, the only reason I'm choosing to do it last week of March is cuz of spring break leave I get (I'll need some days off from school).  And I really want to get it done now.  I've been holding it off for several months now cuz of TTC.  Doc said in Oct. that I had an infection in one tooth w/ a pocket of puss and it needs to be extracted ASAP.  Anyways, next avail time (after march)is the summer and I've been having pain w/ them plus if I do conceive before summer, then I'll have to wait almost another year before doing it.

I know I shouldn't risk it and I don't want to but I'm sick of living in the "what if" stage ALL the time and each month I don't conceive, just kills me.  Its beginning to consume my life and now making me depressed.  I think I'm just going to live my life as I wish and let fate handle me.  I've been so CAUTIOUS with everyting last 5months in case I conceive and well I still haven't conceived......it frustrating.  In fact, I'm going out and buying me a tanning package and also start on caffeine/diet pills to shape up for spring/summer.  I'm going to do what makes me happy for the time being. I just pray GOd watches over me and takes care of me.
Just to add something to Heather's post (which was great by the way) Motrin or any other type of anti-inflammatory is NOT allowed in pregnancy, especially the last 2 trimesters. They always change the rules it seems. When I was pg with my 2 year old, it was okay to take up until the last trimester, now I am told not at all. But the other advice is great!

Stephw-
As much as you would hate to do it, I would use protection for the month prior to getting your wisdom teeth pulled. Why risk it? It is too difficult to tell if it could cause harm (we don't know what kind of anesthesia they will be using) but I figure just hold off until the following month. Besides, you will be on some pretty heavy pain meds for a week or so following the surgery and I think that worry would make you a wreck for the rest of your pg if you happened to be pg when they did the surgery.

Good Luck!

Andrea
I'm six months preggers and need some dental work too. Best hopes and wishes for your baby making : ).

You mentioned tanning. I'm tanning just a bit (15-20 min/week) during the winter months in rainy cold oregon. Think the major concerns are getting too warm (bad for baby) and skin cancer (bad for mom), but take a look at the vitamin d council website at the mental deficiencies caused in the fetus with a vitamin d deficiency during development. holey cow. they talk about autism, retardation, schitzophrenia and birth defects. They recommend a lot more vitamin D than the FDA, and you get a lot more vitamin D than they recommend with about 15 minutes sun bathing. Definately worth a read.  

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/27692.php
If maternal vitamin D deficiency causes fetal brain damage, more brain-damaged children will be born in the summer. ... Brains of summer-born children are making neuronal connections at the fastest rate during the winter and early spring when their mother's vitamin D levels are lowest. At latitude 42 degrees, Boston, Massachusetts has a marked seasonal variation in vitamin D levels. Dr. Nathlie Badian of Harvard found that boys born in July and August were seven times more likely to have learning disabilities than those born in the cooler months.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/
http://www.fightingfatigue.org/?p=1220)
I have to have my wisdom teeth pulled in a few weeks. I'm so terrified, I cry just thinking about it. My husband just had his pulled yesterday and he's like, "it's no big deal. You'll be fine." But I just don't feel like he gets it. Nothing ever shakes him anyway. He's hardly in any pain.

Also, I have something else that makes me worry about this whole thing. Whenever I take regular strength Tylenol, I fall asleep. Is that going to be an issue?
We are undergoing the same problem.  I had excruciating pain for almost 8weeks.  First, my lower right molar got infected so I had to undergo root canal during my 5th week of pregnancy. I thought the problem was over but right after the root canal, my decayed wisdom tooth in the left began to hurt really bad and so after 3 weeks of agony, I finally returned to my dentist.  She said that the decay is so bad she has to remove it on my 2nd trimester.  I am still waiting for my OB's approval about this.  
Just holding on to my faith in God.
Your OB will more then likely tell you to go ahead.  It's all risk vs. benefit.  Yes, the anesthetic used does cross the placenta, however, leaving a bad tooth can cause far more serious problems then the first option.  I had to have some dental work during pregnancy, and all was well.  Lot's of people do.  You certainly cannot go through the rest of your pregnancy in pain, and dental health is so important to overall health, which is important to your pregnancy.  Don't worry, it won't harm the baby.  I sure hope you feel better soon.
Hi , could we have updates from you? Was everything turned out right?