Maternal & Child Community
Anyone have MTHFR Mutation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Anyone have MTHFR Mutation

Hello all, In jan of this year i was told i have this blood disorder which would explain my losses in the past and i read and read on line and theres so very little on line, my doctor just told me i had to take folic and vitiam B for the rest of my life and i could never stop taking it. I'm now 9weeks and take progestrone and starting in week 18 i have to get a shot of it every week till i give birth.. Does anyone else have this?? What info can you share with me please.~ thanks
i have never heard of this, but I suffer form HORRIBLE migraines during pg, and have had a stroke during pg that did not leave any visible damage, but I have lost hearing in my right ear as a result. It also took me three years to get pg the first time, I am pg now, my fifth pg, I have two kids. I am currently almost 18 weeks, so my dr. says I am out of danger pretty much. Both of my mcs were very early. Do yuo think I could have what your dr. said you have? The stroke has never been explained, but I am on a higher baby aspirin dose.....
I would ask to be tested it for it.
I too have the homo MTHFR disorder and am on a baby aspirin and Foltx (folic, b6 and b12).  They cannot say this is the reason I m/c @ 16 weeks as my homocystein levels are normal.  I am now 9 weeks and just had a bunch of blood work, including glucose tolorence and fasting homocystein.  I go back to the Dr. on 8/24 and am hoping that they will be ok.  I went to a specialist in June, he basically stated as far as the clotting disorders, MTHFR is common and mild compared with FVL or some of the others.  I have two other children, no problems pre m/c and am hoping I am going to come through this one ok too.  Ihave not had my progesterone level checked with this current pg but they did that with the last one and it was low @ 9.1.  Good luck.
I have the MTHFR mutation also - the homozygost version - which means I got the mutated gene from both my mother and father.  I thought that was going to explain my mc's also, but then we tested my homocysteine levels which are fine - so apparently my mutuation isn't really doing anything.  I also am on folic acid/b6 & b12 combo - not sure how long I'll have to take it because my homocysteine levels are normal.  Basically, from what genetic counselor told us, we have no increased risk of nueral tube defects and the clotting disorder is not a factor with me either because my levels are all normal.  Basically, it ruled out clotting as a reason for my mc's and ruled nothing in.  I still beleive I have a progesterone issue based on when I o - just waiting to go back to the Dr to confirm that and get on progesterone after my next BFP.  I would check with your doctor to find out what your homocysteine levels are - if they are normal, the MTHFR may mean nothing like mine did.
i lost my baby at 20 weeks due to the blotclots i was getting, and i lost again at 11 weeks my level are ok as long as i'm on the folic and vitiam B but they said once i get off they rise and that was not what they want ??? I take the progestrone becuase again my Dr. said it helps prevent recurrent loss. I go back on the 29th and i'm bringing a list of questions with me this time.
forgot to ask - why are you on the progesterone?  because of the MTHFR or something else?  I haven't been told of a correlation between the 2 so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.
is it just over the counter baby aspirin?  What brand do you use?