Maternal & Child Community
Anyone have amnio?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Anyone have amnio?

Hi - I'm scheduled to have an amnio next week (at 16 wks), and I just read the revised m/c stats of 1/1600 (revised from the 1970's stats of 1/200-1/400), so I'm just barely less anxious.  I've read everyone's thoughts on whether or not to have amnio, but I haven't gotten any feedback from anyone who's actually had one with both mom and child living through it to tell about it.  I've also not heard from anyone who m/c due to amnio.  If there is anyone out there who had amnio and wishes to share their experience, please do!  I'm really anxious to hear about your experience.  I've not totally made my decision, though it's scheduled, and I flip flop from the Quad Screen which must be done by the end of this week to amnio which is already scheduled next week.  I hear HORROR stories about the agony over a false positive from the Quad, which knowing my personality, would torture me for the rest of the pregnancy if I received one (and there's a high liklihood that I could, according to the drs).  Please share your experience emotionally/physically if you've had an amnio.  Thank you so much!!!
I had my amnio at 17 weeks. (Im 26 weeks now) I will be honest. It hurt... alot. I was not too anxious about it but it is exceptionally informative and we did have an extensive ultrasound (45 minutes and 85 pictures later)which showed a perfect baby boy structurally so it was no surprise when it came back normal. That is definately a huge relief.

When they look at the baby and rule out abnormalities at the visual level it greatly reduces the chances there is anything wrong. I also had it done at a genetics lab at one of the universities here in San Diego and it is what they do everyday so they know how to get the right positions etc. I really felt at ease knowing they are truly experts. You will have to take is easy for a few days afterwards and dont be surprised by the mild achiness at the insertion spot. They will tell you everything you need to know abd they will have counselling before you do it. Why are you doing it? Just curious. I am 39 so that is why they thought I should do it.

Dont worry, it only hurts for a minute and as someone told me, the odds are still in your favor.

Im wishing you luck, stay positive.
Melanie
Hi. I havent had one.  But my mother did with my 13 yo brother.  She was 36 when she had him.  I dont know to many details about it, but my brother is fine, a bit hyper (lol) but fine.  I'm not sure if I'm of much help but, This was 13 years ago and I'm sure technology is on your side if your worried about m/c.  Sorry I couldnt be of more help. Good luck :-)
Both of your comments help a lot!  Thank you!  I am 35 years old, so it was offered to me.  We do not have a history of abnormalities, nor have we had any m/c (this being my first pregnancy), but we really want to know what we can to mentally prepare for whatever could come our way.  I also know myself enough to know that if I received a false positive from the Quad (which is very likely, given the high odds of a false positive), I'd end up having one anyway.  I am a worrier by nature (and on meds when not pregnant for it), so I can't imagine having the Quad, getting a false positive, then agonizing for the rest of the pregnancy wondering if this little peanut will be ok.  What part of it hurt?  The needle insertion and pulling of the fluid, the cramping, or both?  How long does the cramping last?  Again, thank you so much.
I had one.  I'm 42 and was told twice I was miscarrying.  Then, at 9 weeks, 5 days, there's a baby, with a heartbeat, measuring perfectly, and everything was ok.  I was an emotional wreck.  The few people who knew said, "It's a miracle!" but I kept wondering WHY they didn't see anything besides a gestational sac not once, but twice and at 8 weeks.  I cried all the time with worry.  I just had to have one--I needed to know.

I had mine done by a perinatal specialist (a high-risk doc who does amnios (and other procedures) all the time).  My ob/gyn referred me to this doctor and he told me to ask the doctor doing my amnio what HIS personal statistics are and I did that.  My perinatal specialist told me he has done over 7,000 with an EXTREMELY low loss rate.  I was told that loss is usually a result of infection (bacteria being introduced via the procedure) and I was reassured by how sterile everything was and how well he cleaned the area, etc.

It wasn't painful, but it was uncomfortable--I felt pressure and a crampy feeling, but it was literally over in less than two minutes.

They called me sooner than expected to tell me that all is ok and we're having a girl.

I have been completely enjoying this pregnancy since.  I waited to tell my family until I got the amnio results--I knew my mom would be worried sick, so it was so nice to tell her we're expecting, followed immediately by "I've had an amnio and everything is good".

I will be 33 weeks on Friday and I'm having a scheduled c-section at 39 weeks (February 23).

I know it's a tough decision.  I hope you get the information you need to feel comfortable with whichever way you decide to go.
I'm not much help, because I am not having it done. I have the option, but am choosing not to. (I'm 35) I am going to a high risk doctor this Thursday, though, for 12wk tests. I have a question. What kind of ultrasound do they do? I know I'll probably be there a while.

Good luck to you!
Hi:

I had an amnio with my dd.  It did not hurt me a bit.  I didn't even feel the needle going in.  Toward the end it started getting a little uncomfortable, but not painful at all.

With my first preg, I had a CVS, which caused an mc at 14 weeks. Unfortunately, there always is that less than 1% that will mc, so it is a risk you take.  

For me it was worth it.  I have had 6 early mcs since my dd and will have an amnio again if I can ever have another viable pregnancy.

Good luck to you!
I posted the same question a few weeks ago.  I am 16 wks and 38.  I had a nuchal translucency test and my results came in very good.  I was torn with my decision to have an amnio.  I have decided against it.  Although it is a small percentage for m/c, someone has to be the unlucky one.  I didn't want to be that person.  My RE told me I was trying to balance two rare occurences and with the way my NT test came back, I didn't want to risk it.  It is a very tough and personal decision to make.  My dh and I were and are at odds about this.  I wish you the best and am sure everything will be fine whatever you decide.
Wow - all of you are amazing women, and I can't express to you how helpful your experiences are to my decision-making process.  Thank you so much for sharing such intimate parts of your lives with me.  To the 35-yr old at 12 wks:  I actually had a 10wk appt & 14 wk appt, at which both times they checked blood pressure, weight, urine and heartbeat!  Yes, they heard a heartbeat at 10wks!  They couldn't measure it, because they had a hard time finding it (which is totally normal and usually is better detected between 12 and 14 wks).  Anyway, at 14 wks, they did the same thing as at the 10 wk appt, and they measured the strong and loud heartbeat!  Just wait until you hear it - you'll be amazed.  Don't be alarmed that it's so much faster than yours - it's supposed to be.

I didn't consider CVS, due to the higher risk over amnio, but my neighbor down the street did it due to multiple m/c and wanted to know early in the process if it was ok.  Sometimes I wish only u/s & b/t were our only tests, making our testing decisions much easier, but then we are so fortunate for modern medicine to allow us to prepare for any uncertainties.

My OB is the head of internal perinatal medicine at one of the best birthing hospitals on the east coast, and I'm very confident in her ability.  I'm just scared of the really low m/c rate.  Everyone is telling me that it is so miniscule, though.  

I promise to keep everyone updated!  Best of luck to all you moms-to-be and current moms!  Thank you all for your kind and helpful words.  Oh - and one last thing:  Did anyone know that in Asian culture, this is the year of the Golden Pig?  I did not know this, but my dry cleaner told me that all the women in Asian countries really want to have a baby this year, because it means happiness, health and wealth for any baby born in 2007. AND, it it happens only once in 600 years. How about that?  It's cute, if anything, and something to brag about. :)
Just wanted to share what my perinatal specialist told me about CVS--he said that the miscarriage rate is a bit higher with CVS than an amnio and they (he and his associate) believe that it's because it's typically done transcervically and there is no way to sterilize the cervix.  So they go transabdominally, like they do with an amnio, and have had good results that way.  But when they go transabdominally for a CVS, the placenta has to be accessible and mine was not (it was behind my uterus).  That's why I went on to have the amnio.
i think a trhead in december showed two women who said they miscarried due to amnio - can you check teh archives?

I would NEVER have one

best of luck
i'm so glad to see this question. i am 8 1/2 wks, so my dr has given me info to schedule my screenings, and said based on that, i may need an amnio. i don't think i'd want an amnio. i am only 27 years old, and this is my first pregnancy. i am not high-risk. i think that i would not want to know in advance if my baby has downs. and i certainly wouldn't terminate a pregancy at that point. is there a reason why i would want to know of any genetic disorders in advance? other thn downs, what could it tell me? the hospital i am going to deliver at is very advanced, and would certainly be able to handle any complications that could arise during or after delivery.
FYI, my CVS was done through the cervix.  My RE said it's still better to wait for an amnio since things are more stable.
To Tiredbuthappy: there are other genetic disorders that amnio finds: spina bifida, trisomy 18, trisomy 3 (the latter two are very rare, as spina bifida is rare, but even more rare than Downs).  Anyway, yes it's extremely hard to decide.  I really only have a couple of days left to decide on the quad screen, and I'm leaning toward the quad and letting those results decide if I should do anything else from there.  We shall see.  Thank you also to Thetallchic for writing.  I'm going back and forth every minute and am afraid of making the wrong decision, which my husband says there is no wrong decision.  He just doesn't want to see me tormented with anxiety.  I still don't know and really appreciate all the kindness this forum brings.