Maternal & Child Community
Anyone have successful pregnancy after 3-4 miscarriages?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I know this is a hard subject for anyone, but I'm just at a loss right now.  I'm waiting to m/c - I went in for a u/s last week at 6w4d and only seen an empty sac.  This is the 4th miscarriage in a row for me in the last year.  I have a healthy 4yr old and 2 yrd old at home and then we went on this string of back luck with the m/c.  After m/c #3, I was referred to an RE, who prescribed clomid/progesterone (she believed my m/c were related to low progesterone) and now this m/c took me by surprise as I was not expecting it.  My RE had my Dh and I do blood work for a complete chromosomal analysis, but my RE states that only 2% of couples have chromosomal compatibility issues.  

Just looking for any success stories out there?  I have to believe the odds are in my favor one of these times??
This is going to be long....but let me start by saying how sorry I am that you are going thru this.  I had 4 mc before my daughter (she is now 9 months).  I started with an RE after my 2nd because I was already 33 and didn't want to wait for another before trying to figure out what was causing them.  First one I lost at 5 weeks, second at 7 weeks.

I had the whole battery of tests done - blood, HSG, you name it.  DH had all the chromosome testing done too.  All came back pretty much ok - I did find a few things out.  I was diagnosed with PCOS (even though I had regular periods and was ovulating on my own) and was told my insulin levels were high, 34 and the normal high end is 17.  I was also told I had a homozygous MTHFR mutation which is in the blood clotting realm.  I then had my homocysteine levels checked, which is the level that the MTHFR can effect, and mine was normal.  I was told to lose some weight and try again.  

So, of course, thinking I was smarter than the doctor, I tried to lose weight and DH and I started trying again after a few months.  I had my 3rd mc not even knowing I was pg - weird AF and thought I was pg but couldn't get a positive to save my life and then 3 weeks later spotted for no reason, took test, it was positive.  But it was too late then.

So back to the RE we went.  I started on metformin for my insulin, baby aspirin & extra folic acid for the MTHFR and tried 1 round of clomid only to end up with huge cysts on both ovaries - so we couldn't do clomid the next month.  A nurse at my RE's office recommended accupunture - DH and I fought over the idea, he finally caved and I went for a few treatments just to find out I had gotten pregnant again on my off month of clomid.  So I was pg before I started the accupunture, but continued it for a few months.  Doctor took me off the metformin when I got my positive and accupuncturist had me on some herbs.   Every doctor appt was a rollercoaster though....sac was present but yolk seemed misshapen, hcg increasing, but not doubling, etc.  Then sac is growing, but still not looking good, hcg still rising - don't give up hope, but let me know when you want a D&C, etc.....not good.  After 8 weeks I finally started to mc on my own (as I had with the other 3) but doctor did D&C anyway to make it easier on me.   We put things on hold for a bit then to regroup and figure out what to do next.  

We found a fertility fair going on a few weeks later close to our home and went and met a new RE and luckily my insurance accepted them even though they are an hour from my house.  So, we went and got established - basically used the same protocol - weight loss, metformin, baby aspirin and extra folic acid.  I lost about 20 pounds over the next 6 months, got my insulin down to 22 and we started trying again.  I also added progesterone suppositories 3 dpo.....got pg first try.  I stayed on all meds thru first trimester and my DD was born on June 6th!  We are now starting to go back to the same RE to get back on all my meds so we can try for #2!

So keep at it, but listen to your doctor's advice....try everything you can try but be realistic.  Give yourself time to grieve and heal and deal....it can happen!  Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so sorry for your losses.  I would say that the fact that you have 2 children puts the odds in your favor.  I have had three healthy children, but with 2 m/c in between.  

Good luck to you, and finding a new RE sounds like great advice.
I had two m/c's before freaking out in my dr's office saying that I'm healthy and there's no reason for this.  I was 32 and didn't want to wait for a 3rd m/c so she referred me on. I went in for testing and they found the MTHFR mutation just like the other woman who posted. For me it was a matter of adding baby aspirin and that did the trick. The dr also put me on progesterone through the first trimester (200mg/oral a day). I have a healthy son who was born after an otherwise normal pregnancy on June 24 last year.  I was told I should take folic acid with the next pregnancy and should take baby aspirin every day for the rest of my life.  Now - at 32 I had been a fairly regular blood donor so you can imagine how surprised I was to learn there was a blood clotting issue.  For whatever reason - the baby aspirin did the trick for me.  Has your dr mentioned anything about taking aspirin?
Thanks for the advise.  My first m/c was a chemical, 2nd & 3rd m/c were both at 5w6d and this was diagnosed at 6w4d and RE believes it was a blighted ovum.  She feels the first 3 were progestrone related (long cycles and short luteal phase).  I just started seeing my RE after my 3rd loss so I think this 4th loss took both of us by surprise.  I know they did run a series of blood tests after my 3rd loss, but she says everything came back normal.  We have a meeting with her 1st week of April to discuss everything and our next steps.  I'm definately going to do my research and ask her about the things you posted here to verify she has check for those.  

Again - thanks for the comments - I really appreciate them!   Good luck to all of you!