Maternal & Child Community
Anyone pregnant with pre exisiting heart conditions?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Did anyone get pregnant and already have any heart conditions they knew about?

My husband and I made a move with his company to a new state in order for me to become a stay at home mom and have a couple more kids. We have a 4 year old son right now. Well, I was going to start trying this year but my doctor told me she found that I have mild tricuspid and mitrovalve regurgitation and mild LVH.

Just wondering if anyone has these and still decided to get pregnant?

thanks,

clarissa
I have had heart conditions since i was born, and have had surgery for them, but i still have the mitral valve regurgitation.  I have been pregnant 2 times, and have very healthy children.  When I was pregnant with my first, my ob/gyn had me go to the cardiologist and have a check up.  My pregnancies were beautiful and the only thing that i needed to do for the heart condition was have an iv antibiotic during labor to prevent infection to my heart (because of the mitral valve) It is like the antibiotics you have to take before going to the dentist if you have the heart condition.  I would say as long as you feel comfortable with TTC with the heart condition, then go for it.  But first I would make an appointment with a Cardiologist just for a check up.  and if you do conceive, definitely let your ob/gyn know your pre existing condition because some drs don't want to deal with that, and they will put you as a high risk and send you to a special dr for that.  I hope I helped!
Thank you for your comment.

I was just recently diagnosed with this last week so the doctor said stop trying to concieve (conceive) for now until they can figure out whats going on. I am praying that its controllable or curable so that I can have more babies. Atleast one. I would hate for my son to grow up an only child without a sibling. But then I do fear for my health and think, maybe i should just be content with one and stay healthy for him.

We'll see. Glad to hear you had to healthy babies!