Maternal & Child Community
Anyone see ONLY midwives during pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am 5w3days pregnant with my first, and have my first visit with a midwife clinic scheduled for 2 weeks from now. I want to deliver a natural (vaginal, no drugs) birth if I can, and feel good about using a midwife to do so, but if I decide to use this clinic I will not see a doctor at any point during my pregnancy unless there is a problem. The midwife will deliver the baby in a hospital that has a great reputation. Have any of you seen only midwives when you were pregnant, or would you suggest that I see a doctor at some point as well?

Any advice would be appreciated!
My understanding about midwives is that they help during delivery.  I think you should definitely see a dr. throughout the pregnancy.  I wouldn't chance it but that's me.
Also, I wnt to ask out of curiousity because I'm just being nosy but why no drugs for labor?  Have you had a child before?
I am just trying to understand your decision to satisfy my own nosiness.  I justhad a baby 5 months ago and plan on having another and am thinking about going epidural free but want others' opinions and reasons.
In many countries you are seen entirely by mid-mives and only referred to a ob if they see problems.  They are highly skilled.  And thier fees are much smaller.

Here in Canada, some provinces have mid-wives with hospital privileges, they do not in my province.  I have a friend who gave birth at home with a mid-wife.

I will be in the hospital with my gp and a doula.

To the OP, will you be giving birth in a hospital or at home?  Natural child birth is great if you can manage it.  Drugs do not mean you are a bad mother.  I would be open to taking them if needed.
I saw midwives for both pregnancies, they are highly skilled, trained medical professionals and you will see and ob if there are any problems or risks with your pregnancy, usually alongside the care you recieve from the midwife. Should I decide to have anymore children in the future I would go for midwifery care again.
i saw the OB for all appts up till about 28 wks, then i saw a midwife for the last appt at 33 wks.. now they want me seeing the OB from here on. not sure why, the OB didnt do anything particular for most of the visits. however at one visit they did end up needing to do an internal exam, at least here the midwives wouldnt do that.
my story is a bit different as I saw a doc twice during preg beg and end mid wife the rest of the time she delivered at home in my room, that was in La up in pa the midwives only deliver in hos,but my experience was wonderful at home.
I noticed your earlier post about your mc and I wanted to say how sorry I am.

There does seem to be a higher rate of mc among us "old" mummies.  My doc said our eggs are older and often have abnormalities.

Take heart, after 2 mc, I am 9w3d and I am 40.  

God bless you and your family.  I hope your heart heals soon.
Thanks everyone. I am fortunate in that the midwifery clinic I am going to has an affiliation with a wonderful hospital, so I will be able to deliver in a hospital and have dr's there as a backup. I am a small person so am nervous that delivering will be tough for me! Alas, only one way to know for sure...
Interesting about the midwife.. thanks....
I have a birthing plan where i only deal with midwives throughout my pregnancy and labour. I only need to see a doctor if something isnt right. Im 30 weeks and havent needed to so far. At first i was skeptical about not seeing a doc, but ive had a trouble free pregnancy and my midwives seem to be rather experienced, so i now feel at ease.  Good luck.
Girlybuff, forgot to ask, what are your thoughts for considering going epidural-free for your next delivery?
Hi, I have only ever seen the doctor at my first appointment and then the midiwifes through out  all 3 of my pregnacys, like anxious said they are highly skilled and in most case's, i think are better to deal with than the doctors!
Unless there are problems, which the midwife should pick up, inbetween your scans, which detect any thing wrong.
Also i never took any drugs or had an epidural with any of my pregnancys mainly as i didnt like the thought of having a needle going through my spine. My babies were all over 8lbs 2oz,they were all difficult labours, but the midwifes handle the situation perfectly! I would trust them 100%.
I did have the doctors come into the room at the end of all my labours as the cords were wraped around the necks and one baby had to be resusitaed, i was greatfull for the doctors being there, but again the midwifes were there all the way through and they will pick up on something being wrong.
My sister-in-law had her second baby last year and had an epidural -- when my DH and I showed up at the hospital 2 hours after the baby was born, my sis-in-law was in an odd, drugged-up daze.

Did they give her something else other than the epidural??? In my experience as a doula, the epidural doesn't cause a odd drugged up daze...

Before I became a doula, I had my first child, nearly drug free but without epidural. I also saw a MW from my first appointment through my last at almost 42 weeks. I had a very difficult delivery with my posterier baby and she got stuck coming out (mild shoulder dystocia...a bit more than just sticky shoulders) and my MW was able to get me to focus on her to the point where I didn't know anything was wrong....my little girl was stuck at the shoulders for 40 seconds and then came out just fine and was handed to me all pink and healthy....

She was amazing. When one of the MD's came to discharge me, since MW aren't allowed in most hospitals to do that, I asked if they would've done any different and they said "No, she's the talk of the practice...I would've ended up with a emergency section bc that's what most md's do in that case...MW's are trained different.

I will be seeing the same MW for this baby throughout my entire pregnancy barring any issues....

I have found, and many friends of mine have found that MW are more apt to ans your questions and take the time to do so without being dismissed, esp if this is a first pregnancy...

Good luck!~
I am torn... I had an epi, 3 to be exact and it was wonderful once it worked.  My baby came out very alert and I was with it also.  There was no grogginess at all and I felt nothing but pressure during the delivery which was 15 min.
I was in hard labor (induced with pitocin sp?) for about 12 hours so I was in horrible pain... I also had a radical episiotomy too and felt nothing so I am pretty much all in favor of the epidurals!
If I could do it without drugs I think I would like to but I know from this birth that I really didn't wnt to feel that pain anymore.
It's always a personal choice but something I'm pondering.
gc75 -- Thank you, that was so helpful! Your description of midwives taking the time to answer questions, and not doing emergency surgeries when some dr's might, reconfirm my gut feelings about wanting to use midwives in the first place.

And yes, you are right, I believe my sis-in-law did also receive potossin. Perhaps that is what made her groggy/dazed. I have heard that drugs and epidurals often accompany each another.

girlybuff -- I can understand why you would want drugs with that much pain. I hope you are able to do what feels right for you (epidural or not) for your next birth.
Thanks to both of you for your feedback.

Girlybuff, to answer your question:
I have always wanted to try to deliver a baby naturally and, yes, this will be my first delivery. My mother did it with both my sister and I and had no problems, aside from the normal pain of childbearing, which she said she has completely blocked out of her memory! hahah  

Two of my good friends just delivered their first children naturally (vaginally, without drugs) and had wonderful experiences. I would certainly use drugs if it was medically necessary, which is why I want to deliver in a hospital, but I want to try doing it naturally first.

My sister-in-law had her second baby last year and had an epidural -- when my DH and I showed up at the hospital 2 hours after the baby was born, my sis-in-law was in an odd, drugged-up daze. Her baby was also more sleepy for the first few days than the babies of my friends who gave birth naturally, and the dr said this is because the drugs have an affect on the baby. The friends of mine who gave birth naturally were much more with it after giving birth (albeit exhausted, as expected!).
Jamie, It's great to hear your story. Both of my friends who have had natural births and used midwives had developed their own birthing plans and said it was a wonderful way to express their feelings about how they'd like to give birth before being in "the moment" when they were not able to express themselves as well. I love that idea and I plan to do the same. Best wishes to you in your final weeks!
Hey it sounds like your sis-in law may have had stadol (if thats how u spell it,lol) but I had this before they give it to you if its too early to give an epidural to lessen your pain, but in reality to me it only makes you so drowsy that you cant react to the pain but the pain is still there. I myself have had 1 labor where I felt nothing at all, No contraction pain just the tightening that is causes but I still had to have an epidural because my body would not relax which was prolonging labor. after reciving the epidural w/n 5 minutes i was completely dialated and with this one I tried not to have epidural as well. with my last labor i never knew i was in labor but luckily i went in to be induced, potossin is the med to induce labor it doesnt cause any effect on the baby, but stadol (stay-dol) is a narcotic and I am thinking she had something like of that sort. but I hope you get to experience your drug free labor I would love to try it again.
O I have a friend that did it at home as well and she said she loved it it was her 3rd labor and she said she loved delievering at home.

again good luck
Hey thats cool but u might want to have access 2 drugs because it is NO joke i mean NO joke i felt like ther baby was lodged in my hip im suportive but its ur first baby ur only 5 weeks pg babys can get preety big and hard 2 push out think bout it. more power 2 u if u can go through w/ it