Maternal & Child Community
Aortic Valve Insufficiency and Pg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Aortic Valve Insufficiency and Pg

I'm looking for someone who can tell me about the possible risks of pregnancy in a woman with an aortic valve insufficiency.  I was just diagnosed as having a mild to moderate aortic valve insufficiency, and was told it should not (yet) impede any normal activities.  However, my husband and I were thinking about trying to conceive in the next year or two, and I'm concerned about how the valve problem could affect a pregnancy.  Beyond the a.v.i. I am, as far as I know, healthy, and am only 25.

I would appreciate any information anyone could give me regarding my question.

Thanks,
K
Avatar n tn
I found this for you, but I have a feeling you already are pretty well educated about this condition.  It mentions AI and pregnancy.

All told, your cardiologist and your OB are probably your best resources for determining the timing and risk of pregnancy.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=11068
Avatar n tn
Thanks for the link!  I'll check it out.

K