Maternal & Child Community
Artificial nails... are they safe?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Artificial nails... are they safe?

Hi ladies, Im 23wks 5dys preggo and I was wondering what your thoughts are  on getting a full set of nails from nail salon.
I have been coloring my hair since 13wk and thats the only thing I have done that would be questionable. I know there are alot of mixed feelings out there on this but my doctor said there wasnt any proven studies on it to be harmful. I really want to get my nails done and keep up with it every 2 wks. Actually I saw at drugstore the glue on kind and would even consider that. Thanks :)
You're fine. But you need to research the salon. Some of the asian owned salons use some pretty harmful stuff (they aren't supposed to anymore). If you walk in and the nail techs are wearing masks, go somewhere else. Good luck!
I color my hair too, but I wouldn't get fake nails put on. They have to use the drill and all that and you could get an infection if their utensils are not clean enough. If you want your nails to look nice then just polish your own natural nails. I would not risk it but that is just me.
I get my nails done (and hair colored).  My doctor says both are safe. But be careful of salon that are not sanitary.
I am a Nurse and we are not allowed to wear any type of nails. All nails harbor bacteria but, applied nails harbor more. There are places that bacteria can go and with everyday hand washing and alcohol based antiseptics can not get the bacteria out. I would be very careful!!  Use you best judgement and remember a lot of those nail salons have NO reversed ventilation..you and your precious little one are breathing in all of those chemicals!!  Mia
Ive gottem my nails done since I was 18 and now Im 22.  And Im 39 weeks pregnant.  Ive never had an infection or anything...just make sure the salon you go to is clean and they clean their tools between uses.
I also think you should be careful were you go& make sure its clean.I've been using them on & off & also throughout my 2 preg.Sometimes you need to feel pamperd.
Just be sure that if your nail come loose and air can get between your nail and the artificial one that you get it repaired as soon as possible.  Like I said before Ive never had a problem with bacteria and infections.  In my microbiology class we had to swab our fingers before we washed them and then after we washed them.  Mine were cleaner before using the antibacterial soap and compared to other students they were cleaner.  Also if you want to be pampered I would recommend a pedicure.  I get one about once a month...but if I could afford it I would probably go once a week.  My feet feel so good afterwards..and the hurt all the time from being pregnant and standing. So sitting in a massaging chair for an hour while someone rubs and paints your toes it feels good...plus they are pretty afterwards.
I am sure in Micro class you didn't dig into the areas where the bateria lives..There are areas that are not sealed(Underneath the nail and around the cuticle and under the tip). And yes, bacteria can grow into them..I am not telling you not to do this I am just making you aware. That in the hospital setting they are NOT allowed. I work with Newborns and Mothers during thier post-partum period. They are a big, big, no no in any area in the hospital..If you want to be pampered, get a massage get a pedicure or manicure...If you want fake nails get'em!!! Good luck hope I was helpful!  Mia
I myself personally go to a nail school but i know for a fact that they CLEAN everything. Asian places dont. be safe
Hehe if you only knew what they made up do in Micro.  I wasnt going against anything you said...just stating what I know and have done...its a personal opinion to get them or not.
Thanks you guys. I appreciate the comments. I have had them on and off for 20 years. I feel so naked without them and will probably get them again. I hear ya on a clean salon. DEFINITELY!