Aspirin to Prevent Miscarriage
My doctor told me to take 81 mg of aspirin on the basis of  one previous miscarriage and two close family members having bloodclots. I have read that aspirin is not safe for the fetus, would vitamin e be better. I am not pregnant at this time but trying.
Do what your doctor recommends.  Aspirin is often recommended for this purpose.  If it were not safe for a fetus, why would your doctor tell you to do it?
I went through IVF and took (1) 81mg Aspirin for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy to prevent miscarriage.  
I know pregnant women can take tylenol if they have headache or any pain for any reason. So probably Aspirin is safe too especially if it is low does. but you can consult another doctor too.
i had 2 previous missed miscarriages and was put on 75mg 1 a day aspirin at 4 weeks pregnant and am to stay on tehm until i am 36 weeks as a precaution,i had never been past 8 weeks,i am now 34 weeks pregnant with a little girl,the doctors know what they are talking about and wouldnt advise you to take anything that could harm the baby,i was told the dose of aspirin i was taking would not even do anything for a headache.goodluck
how does aspirin help to prevent a m/c?? I m/c at 9 weeks in April.. why dont they tell EVERYBODY that if it helps??
It doesn't help everybody.  There is a specific blood clotting disorder that can contribute to miscarriage.  A miscarriage for any other reason won't be helped by baby aspirin.

ok I suppose i read wrong.. i was lik WHAT I COULD HAVE TAKEN ASPIRIN & NOT M/C'ED??? sorry my mistake!
You can discuss it with your doctor if you plan on conceiving.  Sometimes if you have a history of miscarriage, they may try you on it next time.  Or if you have a family history of blood clotting disorders.  

Peek is right- it's for a blood clotting problem.  I had 2 mc's twice in a row, so my doctor put me on it just incase that was the issue.  (I then carried to term.)  I am on 81mg again with my current pregnancy until I reach 36 weeks.  
The reason that they don't put EVERYBODY on it is because it won't prevent every mc, and because it carries some risks.  It is designed to thin your blood, which means it takes longer to clot.  If I would get injured or go in to pre-term labor (before the 36 weeks), there's more of a risk of me bleeding to death.  That said, always check with your doctor before starting baby aspirin when pregnant, but yes, it does sometimes help.
what is a history of miscarriage? Do you think it would be a good thing for me to take it i i became pregnant again? (since i m/c once)
I dont have a history of blood clotting but i thought above it said also if you had a history.. not necessarily blood clotting
You should ask your doctor if its appropriate.  We aren't doctors.  Are you trying to get pregnant?  In your post below, it seemed like you were trying not to conceive.

In my situation, I have to take low dose aspirin, PLUS another blood thinner called Lovenox (I give myself injections everyday).  I need both of these for blood clotting, as I've had 2 m/c's and aspirin was not enough for me.  I am now 12 weeks and everything is going great!
I had no idea I even had a blood clotting disorder.  You probably don't even know if you have it or not.  They test you for that, then go from there.
I am just asking for future reference.. and i KNOW you are not docors- I didnt say you were. I just wanted advice  thats all.
Thanks for your help.. the subject just caught my eye... also linzio posted that she had previous m/c and was told to take the aspirin & she didnt bring up blood clotting at all. I didnt know that was the main reason. Its good to know though! Thanks!
You are welcome!  It was all new to me as well.  But I was also really glad to find out!  Good luck!
I was never tested for any blood clotting disorders,i was just told that it may be one of the reasons why i miscarried and that it would not do any harm to try it,and here i am 34 weeks pregnant.I was told antiphospholipid antibodies could be the reason.
This may explain certain things for you,good luck
Miscarriage Causes - Antiphospholipid Antibodies

Miscarriage causes are still not well understood. While Internet research reveals a number of treatments and speculated causes, the sad fact is that few courses of treatment have been conclusively proven to prevent miscarriages. Controversy surrounds even the most common treatments, such as prescribing progesterone supplements in early pregnancy. Antiphospholipid antibodies, however, are one of the few things that most accept as a proven miscarriage cause.

What are antiphospholipid antibodies?

Antiphosphopid syndrome, or APS, is an autoimmune problem in which specific antibodies attack substances in the blood, making a person more prone to blood clots. The medical details of the syndrome are far too complicated to go into in depth here, not to mention being out of range for my own level of expertise, but interested readers can learn more about the physiological aspects by reading this article on eMedicine.com.

As far as miscarriage, these antibodies have been positively linked with miscarriage by a number of studies. MedicineNet has an abstract available of one such study from 1997 that showed a drastic improvement in the live birth rate when women with antiphospholipid syndrome received treatment.

How do I know if I have antiphospholipid syndrome?

APS does not have any definite symptoms that will let you know if you are at risk. Recurrent pregnancy losses are often one of the first signs of a problem. (The thinking is that very small blood clots circulating in the body will get stuck in the placenta and block the baby from receiving vital nutrients.) Because no real indications exist that would suggest APS, doctors routinely run tests for the antibodies as a part of a routine miscarriage workup. If you see anticardiolipin antibodies or lupus anticoagulant antibodies on your lab form, your doctor is checking for antiphospholipid syndrome.

Be aware, however, that many times antiphospholipid antibodies can be transient in the body. They may be present at one blood test and then absent at the next. For this reason, some doctors will not diagnose antiphospholipid syndrome unless two blood tests turn up positive with an interval of a few weeks or months. Others will treat a woman for APS with just a single positive blood test.

How do doctors treat antiphospholipid syndrome?

The accepted treatment for APS, as described in the above MedicineNet link, is to take low-dose aspirin and heparin injections throughout the pregnancy. This treatment has been shown to lift the live birth rate of women with APS up into the same range as women without it. Some doctors prescribe low-dose aspirin only, particularly in cases that they're not sure whether a woman really has APS or not. Heparin treatment is unpleasant and expensive, and carries some risks, so many avoid prescribing it unless evidence suggests a clear benefit.

Conclusion

APS is an easily treatable and easily detectable cause of miscarriage. Estimates suggest that 15% of women with recurrent losses have APS, and that the treatment may drastically improve pregnancy outcomes. Women with two or more losses should probably consider asking for the blood test to check for APS.
I took one baby aspirin up to 12 weeks.  My baby is almost 21 weeks now and everything is fine.  It is a very low dase and safe in the first trimester.  But I am pretty sure you should not take aspirin after that (especially bigger doses).
Thanks for all the info, I'm just gonna worry about every little thing.
I took baby aspirin all through my pregnancy due to having 5 previous miscarriages.  I had  blood clotting problems and now I finally have a 3 week old healthy baby boy.  Hope everything works for you.  Take care
i was always told that there was no way to prevent a mc. if it was gunna happen it would happen.
I agree with linzio. I have Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome, and had 7 mc before a new Dr. told me that I had a positive test a year before. He told me to take asprin. I took it up to 37 weeks, and then stopped. I now have 2 daughters aged 4 years and 7 1/2 mos. I also used progesterone through 12 weeks, because of a luteal phase defect.
All of your information was very helpful..  & even though taking aspirin won't help everybody,  it still will raise questions about APS & that in turn could help a lot of women! I have just had the one m/c and im still very young.. but the question of whether i can ever have children comes up in my mind. I was 18 when i m/c and started eating healthy, excersizing, did everything right and still lost it. Now i  know a girl i went to school with who was a very large drug addict & had numerous STD's and she is now 5 1/2 months preg. Just makes me feel totally clueless that someone who has done everything WRONG can have a baby & even though i did everything RIGHT-- i miscarried. Doesnt seem right?
Hi Thunder14 I totally agree with your comment about doing everything right and still have to go through a miscarriage and trust me I asked my self that question when I miscarried twice in a roll. Before I miscarried my second time I demanded to get all the test done to make sure everything was fine and my doctor made an exception and did what I asked him too and he gave me the results on the day I found out that my baby didnt have a heart beat so. He said I had Factor V and Lupus Anticoagulant which means that I get blood clots and that it was genetics. I asked my family and no one has had that before they say but oh well. I just started taking baby aspirin low dose 1 to 2 months before getting pregnant again which  I will try in about 1 month. And as soon as Im pregnant I will have to take Lovonox through injections twice a day and we will see if all this will prevent me from having another miscarriage. Honestly there in no explanation on why we have to go through all this crap but we have to do whatever is in our hands to prevent it. Just continue being heathy, exercising and make your doctor test you for blood clots. Many freakin doctors dont test women for it and Im guessing its due to Money issues. We could try to prevent many miscarriage related to blood clots if they would just test women and not wait until they miscarried 3+ times which is STUPID!! and un necessary... Good luck