Maternal & Child Community
At what age did you stop feeding your baby jar baby food

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

At what age did you complete stop feeding your baby the jarred type of baby food.  Whether you made it yourself or bought it.  Did you have to cut you baby off from it, or did they just not want it anymore?  
28%
 (2) 
Before 1 year of age (baby self weaned)
42%
 (3) 
From 12 to 15 months (baby self weaned)
0%
 (0) 
From 15 to 18 months (baby self weaned)
14%
 (1) 
After 18 months (baby self weaned)
0%
 (0) 
Before 1 year of age (I had to stop all jar food)
14%
 (1) 
From 12 to 15 months (I had to stop all jar food)
0%
 (0) 
From 15 to 18 months (I had to stop all jar food)
0%
 (0) 
After 18 months (I had to stop all jar food)
7 Members voted
I wasn't in any big hurry to stop baby food.  I figured as long as she would tolerate it, she was getting good nutrients from it (and it was convenient).  We started a healthy balance of table food along with baby food at about a year and by 18 months she wasn't interested in baby food anymore...otherwise I'd probably still give her a little!  :)
At a year old Allie was NOT gaining the weight she needed to, she wasn't that interested in baby food anymore.
I was told by doctors and many people to stop baby food and start giving her real food, whatever we ate and i did.

It took a few months but shes finally gained about 4 more lbs. She's petite, but not as underweight as she was.
Blake just about REFUSED baby food. I think I started trying it too late, around 5 1/2 mo's and by then he wanted big people food. I would put beans and fruits in the food mill because he liked texture. Just after that I just cut everyday foods into small pieces. He could self feed pretty early. The pediatrician called him a "man baby" :(
I think it's important to try to introduce food solids (cut small) early too because of soo many friends of mine kids whom have texture issues.

Jacob loved baby food right off the bat.  I started introducing table foods pretty early, and he would try them, but now he has regressed and refuses to eat table food for me.  I offer it with 'every single' meal and he refuses.  During the week he is in daycare for lunch and they swear (and I have no reason not to believe them) that he eats off of the regular lunch menu everyday.  They say he especially loves meat.  But he REFUSES to eat anything I give him other than jar baby food or snack food like crackers and cheerios and bread, and stuff like that.  

The only reason I worry about it, is because I keep thinking what if this doesn't change.  What if he is like this way past when he would be on a completely table food diet??  

Kelly, what did they finally have to do for these texture issues?  With jacob, I'm pretty sure it is a texture thing.  
I would say shortly after 12 or 13 months Noah stopped liking most baby foods and would scream for mine and DB's meals. We would still feed him his veggies in the jar for a while since he didn't like regular veggies.
have you tried cold cut meat? one of the first meats dd ate very readily was deli turkey.

the only babyfood we did was the fruits and veggies, so once she was able to eat fresh fruits and veggies we were able to stop. I clearly remember that at 12 months she still had some serious textural issues, so we were definitely still giivng her babyfood at that point. i remember she started to like peas at that point, but would actually suc k the insides out and spit out the shells. i thought she'd never eat regular food, but sure enough within a couple of months she was eating everything. Just give it time, keep offering it, and don't stress too much.

Other foods she loved in the beginning- peas, pasta, rice, cheese, etc... Since he likes breads and stuff, have you tried melting a slice of american on top of a piece of bread?

i also had a lot of trouble getting her to eat fruits in the beginning. Again, i think it was a textural thing. So we ended up giving her freeze dried strawberries. She still eats it like candy (available at Trader Joes for a reasonable price). To this day she still has some textural issues, but she's getting better as we keep offering stuff. For example, she can't handle the fruit bits in yogurt. She'll eat the yogurt and spit out the chunks. She can't handle grown-up oatmeal because of the larger grains so I still make her baby oatmeal for breakfast. To sweeten it without adding chunks, I use the powder from the bottom her freeze dried strawberry bag.
My dd would barely eat baby food.  I would try all the time, and she would take maybe a few spoonfuls and that was it.  Before she was a year old, I tried giving her finely diced table food, and she loved it!  She still isn't a big fan of veggies, but loves meats, fruits, cheese and cereal.  She just recently started likely pasta.  Ironically, she would gag on the stage 3 foods and spit out the gerber graduates.  Turns out it wasn't that she couldn't handle the chunks, she only likes whatever Mommy cooks!

I wouldn't worry too much about it though.  Some babies take longer liking different textures and flavors than others.  Just keep offering a variety of different foods and textures (including the baby food he already likes) and eventually he will start liking it.  I still make sure to serve my dd the foods she doesn't like, and she can decide if she wants it or not.  By doing this, I've noticed she does try things more readily even if she does end up spitting it out.  But at least she is trying different things.
My older child had serious texture issues he didn't really start on table foods until nearly 18 months, honestly he would still eat jarred baby food now if I let him (he is nearly 5), he loved the stuff. My 2 year old didn't really care for it all all but had it when we went out for convenience, he would still eat if nothing else was on offer but then he will quite literally eat anything! I actually still have a few jars in my cupboard and our earthquake emergency kit for the very reason that in the event of something like an earth quake at least the kids would have sterile nutritionally balanced food to keep them going for a few days.
Hi Hannah,
My neighbors son goes to a nutritionist, my sister in laws nephew is about 4 and still only eats yogurt, mashed potatoes and soft foods and my girlfriends 4 1/2 year old is gradually  trying new things. I think it just takes time. Jacob seems just fine though. He eats mushy & hard! You've got it licked. He will become interested in your foods. Like I said, my 9 mo old is a "man baby". We started with canned green beans in the food mill. At the time he was too small to self feed but didn't like pureed. So the food mill gave his veggies & fruits texture.
Kids love to amaze us. I don't doubt for a second he eats everything everyone else eats in class and that's great! That really helped my girlfriends son as well. Having kids the same age eating the same foods. AND having other people introduce them. My girlfriend always spoke for her daughter. "no she won't eat that" "no she doesn't like that" I knew good and well she probably NEVER tried it. I got the child to eat crab legs.  Jacob is still a baby :) He sounds like he's doing just fine.
How's the new bean? When's the next US?
Kellie
My son was never fond of jarred baby foods.  He started on a surprising group of foods pretty early, didn't like anything bland, but loved sliced black olives, cut-up tomatoes, pickles, avocado, cucumbers, sliced up celery chunks, ham chunks, deli turkey, and steak chunks.  The pedi told us not to worry about his chewing ability (or lack thereof with so few teeth) as long as he didn't gag, because his gums were hard enough to grind things up, so we just gave him little chunks.  To this day, he spits out bland cereals (though he loves oatmeal) and potatoes in any form.
could anyone tell me a way to stop my 11month old swallowing large chunks of food he has gone from being able to handle almost anything within reason  like leave him with a slice of bread and he would be fine but now he tries to jam the whole piece in his mouth and swallow it