Maternal & Child Community
At what age was your daughter when you potty trained?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

At what age was your daughter when you seriously decided to start potty training? What helpful hints and advice can you provide me. How did it go and how long did it take them to really catch on?

Thank you!!
Good Question, I am looking forward to seeing the responses.  My dd is 15 months old and she tells me when she goes but when I took out the potty all she did was play with it.  So I think she is getting close but still to early.
When my daughter was 20 months she would tell us she had to potty.  We got her a potty chair and she wouldn't use it.   At 22 months she declared one morning she was wearing panties.   I told her she couldn't until she started using the potty.   She insisted she would.  We were going to be home all day so I let her.   Amazingly she never wore a diaper after that.     We didn't train her she trained herself.  
Quinn is 21 months and will not tell us when she needs to use the potty nor does she tell us when she has gone. I really want to try working with her now but I am not sure she is ready.

She is also slow to say words. She says some words but other than that she just babbles non stop. Should I be worried or will one day she be talking non stop?
Has she had many ear infections?   Some kids are just slower to begin talking.   Usually if they have an older sibling that talks for them.  
I would wait a few months and see if she indicates that she has pottied or shows interest.
Never had an ear infection. She is so stinking smart but stubborn. I think she keeps words in just to pist me off. LOL

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!!
LOL.....
If she hasn't had ear infections or seemed delayed in anything else I wouldn't worry right now.   Just keep encouraging her to use words.  
My daughter was a very early talker and now at 12 there are times when I wish we had never taught her to speak.   LOL
I believe they talk more when they are around other kids.  My dd talks a lot now but a few months ago she had her own language.

Last night my dd picked up her barney book and handed it to me and said Barney.  Now she has said it before but for her to actually look at the book and say the name I was so excited.  

She also likes Tigger & Pooh's episode Buster's Bath and yesterday she said for the first time.  Bath Toy.  two words together on her own.  Yesterday she had a playdate - I really think she was talking more yesterday because of that playdate.

No dont worry kids are all different and 21 months is early for potty training too I think the norm is 2years.
Whhewww, you ladies are making me feel a whole lot better, Thank you...
we introduced the potty to our dd when she was 14 months old, never forced her and when she was 16 months old we switched her into "big girl panties" and only had pull-ups for night time. She was fully trained day and night by 20 months old. She will now be 3 in December and has only had 1 accident since being potty trained.
Hey Quinns Momma...
Laura knows where to go "PEE"..because I always say we are going out...so she puts her "BOOTS" on...(everything that has Dora on them is "Boots", and her shoes, cups, movies etc.... have boots on them)  Anyways, we have a toilet beside the door...and I always have to "PEE" before we leave, so she bangs on the bathroom door and says PEE...she has bowel movements and while Grunting, she says "PEE"...so I think she is getting close...I won't be starting potty training until she is two.  (my boys both trained themselves...but they were almost 3)  I am tooooo lazy to run to the potty every 5 minutes cuz they think it's FUN!  Laura will be 2 on Dec. 6th, and that is pretty cold season to start potty training especially with winter coats, and snow pants...uggghhhh...I wish I lived somewhere warm allllll year long!!!
i had no intention of potty training early, but did buy a potty seat recently. DD (15 months yesterday) pooped in it Wed and Thurs. Of course it was good timing on my part- she always makes the same poopie face. but at least she's getting used to the idea of going on the potty. when i go to the bathroom she comes in with me and carefully observes what i am doing. she says "potty" and plops down on her potty. i only put her on without a diaper if i see the poop face. she doesn't have the attention span or bladder control to sit until she pees. after i go, we wave byebye to the pee/poop and flush it. she toddles out of the bathroom blowing kisses to it.

honestly, i never thought i would start training early. i don't even consider what i do really potty training- it was just 2 less poopie diapers to change :) . i got the potty just to let her get used to it and keep her busy while i go to the bathroom. i have potty trained over 50 kids, and it is actually very uncommon for kids to train before 2. Some girls didn't begin until after 3. so you are definitely not behind. also, they usually need to develop some expressive language before being able to train. by the way, it doesn't sound to me like she has any kind of language delay. at this age, as long as she has some words, babbles, and responds to commands she should be ok.
Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate it so much....

SurpriseBaby, Quinn will be 2 on Dec 26th. I never knew our girls were that close in age.
Darn December babies...LOL  As if it is not busy enough with Christmas.    Although, I was certain I wanted my baby to be born in Dec. and not in Jan....where I live, that would mean waiting a whole other year before they go to school...
Now, she is sure to be one of the youngest in the class....but she already wants to go when the boys get on the bus!
My girl was potty trained at 2 (day and night), its different with every child, but I believe its pretty normal until 36 months
My 1st daughter started to potty train at 18 months but wasn't really out of diapers completely until 2 and a half.  My 2nd daughter started using the toilet about 3 months before her 2nd birthday... she is now 5 1/2 and she still wets at night so she has to wear a diaper at night. We don't make a big deal of it beacause she is a very heavy-sleeper and she will grow out of it.... we hope!
I worked off and on with my dd.  She never used the potty but would want big girl pants on.  We would try it, she would wet them and then back to the diaper.  Her choice.  I had just kinda given up for a little while.  Just after she turned 2 she decided she was ready.  She asked for the big girl pants and went through the whole speech.  That was it, she trained herself pretty much.  She has not been in a diaper since.  I guess we were really lucky.
My best friend's son just turned 9 in June, and he is JUST now not wetting the bed.  He is a VERY SOUND sleeper too.  His Dr. put him on meds (not sure which ones...but they didn't work..so doesn't really matter)
Hope your dd grows out of it soon, but I agree to not make a big deal out of the Pull Up or Diaper at night time...
less than a year
BUT i think as soon as you see she knows what she is about to do - for example - does she go to a corner, crouch, or go under a table to do her business - if so she is ready because she is aware of her body
All children develop differently
go to diaper free baby to learn more about early intervention
She does want privacy when she goes #2. She will leave the room and then come back and of course I can smell it and immed change her. When she pees I have no clue. So I guess she is getting there if she does want privacy with BM.

She also insists on watching me when I go to the toliet and I explain everything I am doing and why I am doing it.  LOL :) So much for any privacy.
This was exactly the question that I wanted to ask lol.  I didn't though because I thought that it would make me sound kinda bad as a parent for not working with my dd as much.  My dd will be 2 Nov. 12.  I work 4-5 days a week and I bought a potty last year.  At first she wasn't interested but she always wanted to come into the bathroom with me and try to look into the toliet to see what I was doing.  Well after a while she wanted to sit on the potty.  She pees alot so getting her to pee on the potty when she sits on it isn't a problem at all.  but she has never once pooped in the potty.  I'm trying to let her flow herslef into doing it.  Also DH has a little problem on helping her potty train.  Hell do it but he feels really uncomfortable because I told him that she has to see him do it too.  He says "Babe how am I supposed to help her and let her see me do it, I'm a guy I don't want her seeing my wang!" lmao!  I told him to just go into the bathroom first, do his bussiness then let her in have her sit first and hurry up and secretly ploop on the tolilet quickly. lol But I did read on of these posts on here.  she tells me that she pees after she does it by grabbing her front side.  And for the pooping lol she does go off to her own little area and crouches down then comes to me and grabbs her butt and says mommy poop.  I know she is really close to being able to go her self but I feel bad because I should be letting her into the bathroom everytime I go.  But it does make me feel tons better reading that most kids (girls) don't fully potty train till 3yrs.  I love this site!
around 2, my step-daughter is doing great, but it takes time to full potty train, just dont do it too late either. there is always big changes going on, like at one coming out of a crib then 2 potty training, then once school comes around.