Maternal & Child Community
Autism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Autism

My girlfriend is worried that her 8 mo old son is showing signs of Autism. Is it possible at this early age to be diagnosed? What are early signs of Autism to look out for? Also, has anyone heard of the relation between certain vacines and the link to Autism? If so, what are the vacines? Well, actually, what is the ingredient in the vacine that is linked? Can you get the vacines without this ingredient?

Thanks for your time and answers ladies.
I don't think you can really diagnose it until their toddler  years. My g/f had the same problem. Some children have sensory disorders. Does your friend's baby meet all them milestones? What kind of characteristics worry her?
Also in answer to your other question. On one knows for sure what casues autism. Vaccines are one of the many things under debate regarding this.
Thimersal is the ingredient in vaccines said to have caused autism in some children. Thimersal is a preservative that is made up of mercury.
One of the vaccines of many under srcutiny was the MMR shot, but this is not the only one that people have said their children have had a bad reaction to.

Sorry for my mispellings.
Typing to fast.
She can take him to a developmental ped. or psych. and get an eval.
Then got from there. The earlier she tires the better.

Here are milestones for a 7 month old from CDC website
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/ActEarly/milestones_7months.html

The biggest things to look for that a child should be doing by 1 yr old are not only having some words but more importantly non verbal communication. Things like pointing, clapping. holding hands up when they want to be picked up, eye contact.

Some suggestions
Sign langauge can start to be taught at this age, they can learn it- needs to be done hand over hand.
American sign langauge has a website
Omegas (DHA) if given soon (although 8 months may be to young) will bring on langauge big time.
Nordic Naturals DHA (they have a kids one) helps lots
Good luck
Thank you both for your responses. Her son is very anti-social. He likes to be by himself most all the time. He will only play with a few select toys. She takes him to a play group at least once a week and he does not interact with the other children well at all. All are around his age. He prefers to play alone.

Also, he cries a lot. She has changed formulas, foods, eating times, nap times, everything you could think of. Nothing has helped. It gets to the point where not even her or her DH can console him.

She has talked to her ped about it and he doesn't seem worried....but she says it is mother's instinct that something isn't right.

I will tell her to find a devel ped to talk to about things. I have also printed out the info on 7mo development and will lgive it to her.   Thank you ladies
Tomel has some great suggestions.  I would say that it's a little too early to suggest autism at the age of 8 months but I also trust mother's instict above all.  I would look out for things like eye contact, does he communicate somehow wiht his parents.  Maybe he's just an antisocial kid.  Doesn't necessarily mean he's autistic.  There is a ton of information available online on signs of autism.  Your friend can check out autismspeaks.org  It's a great website if you wanted to find out more info.  I hope your friend finds the answer she's looking for.  Good luck.
http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/learnsigns.php
The link is from autismspeaks.org
8 mos is too early to dx austism. And there has not ever been a reputable link between thermerisol and autism. The speculation came up years ago and was repeatedly and reliably refuted by several studies.

My middle son was/is a "difficult" temperament. If one wanted to, I bet i could through a list of s/s of autism and he would fit neatly into the dx. Only a qualified developmental or behavioral specialist can make that dx and no one with any sort of reputation will even think of attempting to dx someone that young.

PDD's a re complex disorders at best. With all the buzz about autism lately, it is easy for people to manifest sysmptoms and project them on their children. Autism exists, to be sure, but it takes an impartial person to make the dx and it should not ever be made simply on the word of the caregiver. It needs to be done by an independent observer. True autism will present the same traits no matter what the environment.
I agree with andij78, it is way too soon to diagnose. A lot of people are worried and you always do with your own kids. But, not all kids develop at the same time. Boys, typically, develop physically first, then communicate. Heck my dh is 44 and still doesn't know how, LOL! But, seriously, it is good to have them play by themselves. That is sometimes not developed until later. For the most part, by the time they get up in kindergarten age, they will pretty much be on the same level.

Good luck to her and I'm sure she's glad to have a caring friend like you. And how about this weather here this past couple weeks, whew! Everyone tells me that it was never this warm in the summers, until I moved here(Canfield). Take care, tmv
The other thing to remember is that it isn't until kids are a long way into being toddlers that they actually play with one another or interact with one another in a meaningful way.  Taking a really small child (under a year old) to a play group is more for the mommies than for the baby.
AndiJ78 Autism is a spectrum disorder, so PDD or PDDnos would fall on that spectrum. You right not everything is full blown autism (meaning the type that most people think of which is low functioning) there are many more cases of the hight functioning which is Aspergers, PDDnos or just even kids with severe speech Apraxia and or Sensory Dysfunction, ADHD etc..
Although the thimersal may be under debate the environmental factors are very much being agreed upon by many who study the disease. Meaning many agree that these kids have gut, eating, allergy issues. Which is not just coincedence but have lead many to develop an understanding that the gut influences the brain. Where the env. factors are triggered is still being studied. Many plausible things are maternal factors before baby is born, the air we breathe, the food we eat, lack of essential nutrients. Although there is speculation of the genes. Gene mutation is caused from environmental factors.

Newlywed. Although this young boy may not get a clear diagnosis right now it DOES NOT mean that he cannot get early intervention. Even if the child is put "at risk'" he can get any services that he may need, which the sooner the better will help him tremendously.
And the above post was correct in saying he is MUCH to young for social play, he is still very much at his parrallel play stage in his development. If parents want to make th assumption of when  a child should have social play they really need to be more informed and look up child milestones.
Early intervention is key, but honestly at this point he sounds like a typical infant. By all means, refer her to her state's early intetrvention services for an eval. Though I would suspect that it has less to do with any sort of PDD and more to do with something else.
Thank you ladies all so very much. Along with the info I prined out from TOMEL, I also printed out the discussion. Hopefully it will calm her nerves a little. He is however still going to see a developmental ped.

Knew I could count on you ladies :o)
I used to work for the Autism Society of America.  It has been a while but there is not one particular cause.  A lot of drug mothers gave birth to autistic babies, a head injury, exposure to lead are just some of the common issues.  A local chiropractor here in CT was having their very old house renovated and his "normal" son became autistic due to the exposure to the lead in the old paint, so it is not that all children are born with autism.  Also, kids play by themselves a lot.  Eventually they play side by side with other kids then they get to the point at age 4 or 5 where they play with other kids.  If your friend is wanting more info, contact the Autism Society of America.
Some kids are just quiter, and 8 months is really early to judge social interaction. The better milestone for children under 12 months is language -- or, language development. So, by 9 months is the baby babbling?, etc.  The pincer grasp is another one, but I can't remember when it's expected.

I she's concerned, and her baby is missing milestones, she can opt to delay some vaccinations. The MMR and DTP are the ones that seem to cause the most concern -- and it can be very difficult to find a ped. who is willing to go with any vacc. schedule other than what the AAP recommends.  It's important to note that, while it has certainly not been proven that vaccinations are a cause of autism, it has also not been proven that they don't play an important role in the onset of autism in genetically-predisposed individuals.

Our 17-month old son is delayed in language and gross-motor -- but shows no other signs of autism (i.e., he is on-target for social, received language, etc, interest in shared objects, etc.). But he has a lot of food allergies, eczema, etc., so I'm still holding him off on his MMR until his immune system seems more strong. He might not ever get it, if we can't get it in 3 shots instead of one.

It can become gripping to think your child has autism -- I've gone back and forth for nine months now. While early intervention is key, your friend can easily fall into the trap of seeing everything her child does as "off."  Encourage her to enjoy her child and patiently wait for the milestones, and talk with her doc about postponing vaccinations.
Sorry for the typos. ;-D
I have a 17 year old son on the autism spectrum.  I have studying this ad nauseum.  True Autism is diagnosed by the age of 3.  The rest of the spectrum...they may not be diagnosed until...whenever someone thinks to put 2 and 2 together.  Now for a diagnosis before 1 year, the child is probably not making eye contact and does not like to be touched, plus either very angry at times then completely docile at others, with no rhyme or reason.  Very scary, difficult stuff.  Doctors are becoming more and more aware of autism, so it is being diagnosed sooner.  WHICH IS GREAT!  The best hope a child can get at this moment is early intervention and parents  who know what to expect.  I was borderline abusive, until I found out what was going on, and that he could not control it.
Your other question is about vaccines.  there is NO definitive proof, but the it is not the vaccines which caused the problems, it is the mercury-based preservative...that most doctors and hosppitals do not use anymore.  vaccines help more than they hurt.  Please understand only one study has had and link to autism, and that is because more diagnosises are being made and more children are being vaccinated.  Of course numbers are going to look bad, but more studies must be done.
Good luck to your friend.  She will need much support and breaks often.  also, about.com has great articles on autism.  Much more is known about autism, it may not be 'curable' but it doesn't have to be.  It just needs to be understood.
Are we all teachers??  Everybody is very well informed about Autism...I'm also a special ed. teacher in an Autusm classroom.
Just curious does your son have any food aversions or allergies? Any other medical conditions?

Alot of states depending where you live will put a child "at risk" so they can get early intervention. The diagnosis doesnt need to be there to get services needed to start ASAP.

ashort-No I dont think alot of people are well informed on Autism and what to truly look for in child development alot of it is because the pediatricians arent even totally educated on it or not keeping parents totally informed. Parents usually dont become fully aware until the child is around 18 months which is late in my book and is hind sight. And what parents/people do look for are the obvious"low functioning" autistic symptoms as opposed to the subltle ones. Heck alot of people think that if a child is affectionate towards anyone then "They cant be autistic" which is totally not true.
Sorry..I meant the people who responded back are well informed on Autism.  I'm a special ed teacher so I was very surprised by all the good advice b/c a lot of people are misinformed.  I agree about the pediatricians.  I used to work in early intervention and a lot of families don't even know about it.  I live in New York and they are good about giving services to children with delays here....but again a lot of people don't know to contact the department of ed to have their child evaluated.
Gotcha
Yes its sad how alot of pediatricians are failing parents.  
You can DEFINITELY diagnose autism early on.....It is just knowing the hallmarks to look for.  The reason why most people say that it cannot be diagnosed until 2 or 3 years of age is because it- diagnosis- coincides with language development and vaccination schedule.  Like my son, his autism was not triggered by the vaccinations, he showed signed as early as three months old!  So the best thing to do is take the infant to a developmental pediatrician and follow up with a developmental psychiatrist to attain a diagnosis (soemtimes if you contact the school district, they can do this as well) so that the infant can be placed in an early intervention program immediately.  I know in some states, they say that you do not need to wait for a diagnosis but I have found that the red tape involved is crazy if you do not have a diagnosis, so getting a diagnosis is the best first step.....In truth, it cannot hurt to get your child looked at (worst comes to worse--you just spent time to make sure your child is okay, right)  
You are absolutely correct about the affection aspect of autistics.  My son is VERY affectionate but socially inapporpriate and off the bat people think that he is fine.
I even had his K-teacher say, your son is not autistic, this is autsistic, and she stared at a piece of paper.  This was a special ed teacher to boot!!!!  So it truly is a lack of education.  Spectrum disorder is what it means--there are various levels, and what makes one child autistic is not what makes another one autistic.
How do you know yours sons autism is not from vaccinations? They get their first shot the first day they are in the hospital....then their next set at 2 months.
What was he doing at 3months that makes you suspect?
Ashtyn's specialists say that they are starting to screen children at 6 months for Autism...but that is at specialty hospitals, not ordinary doctors offices! Autism is something they thought could be effecting Ashtyn, but I chose to see a Neurologist first before having an Autism eval.
My neighbour's daughter is autistic.  She is 23 years old now but when she was 4 months old and would not look directly at anyone, I suspected that she was autistic.I remember putting my face in front of hers to see if she would look at me and she looked through me.  Her eyes did not seem to focus on faces.  I didn't want to say anything to the parents.  My daughter was the same age and was responsive and gurgled and looked right at us and she  smiled back at our smiles.  This child was in her own world....very spooky.  Sure enough when she was 15 months old she was diagnosed with autism. Read as much as you can on the subject and if your child is remote, engage her as much as possible and break into her world.  According to the experts on Oprah last week, 10 % of autism can be cured. Good luck!  BlueEgg