Maternal & Child Community
BABY IS ALWAYS HUNGRY HELP!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

BABY IS ALWAYS HUNGRY HELP!!!!

I have a 5 week old and he is always hungry...  I will feed him 4 oz then a half hour later he will want to eat again and eat another 5 onces  then an hour later be hungry again, this will go on all day!!!! He will cry and do his hungry motions until we feed him!!   What is up He is formula fed and otherwise healthy baby,  is this normal!!!!
Mia - a good average for that age is somewhere around 5 feedings of 6 oz per day.   So about 30 ounces,  during a growth spurt maybe a little more,  ballpark figure.

Have you kept an actual log of how much your baby drinks?  That would be very helpful to get a really clear picture of exactly how much he's drinking.

Every baby is different and I dont know about formula, but my 4th baby ate constantly like that all the time, and I wondered if he was getting enough, bc I couldnt keep track of ounces.  (Nursing) Some babies may need to eat more often, their stomachs are so small.  But a good way to know is if he is getting at least 6 wet diapers a day.  My babies pooped almost every time they ate, and I knew they were getting enough.  I know of alot of babies that ate every hour or more.  Sometimes I thought my son just needed comfort and tried offering him a binky, bc they have this need to suck, but he wanted to eat, not the binky.  Talk to your pediatrician and ask how many wet or poopy diapers your baby should have in a day or week, and if the paci thing doesnt work, feed him.
Some babies are just eaters. if you are certain he is hungry, feed him. Some babies will go beyond the "average" of 30-32 ounces a day, some will eat less. But do not fall into the trap that others have, do not introduce solids now, do not add cereal to the bottle. these can have serious consequences that may not be seen right away, but could impact your child for the rest of their life.
My DD was a comfort eater.  She had/has acid reflux and eating constantly helped sooth her throat.  Once we got her properly medicated, she didn't need to eat all the time.  How does your little one act in between/during feedings?  Arching?  Crying?  I'm sure it's just a growing baby but I wanted to make sure it's nothing more.  :)

Amy
Spit up is NOT a definite sign of acid reflux.  Some babies suffer from "silent reflux" where the acid doesn't actually make it all the way up.  I am, stupidly, drawing a complete blank on all of the symptoms.  The best thing I can suggest is to visit www.infantreflux.org/forum.  I researched acid reflux for 4 months on the internet trying to figure out what was wrong with my little one.  Finally I came across that wonderful forum and found so much information and support.  I would suggest browsing around other posts and even posting a question yourself about your baby's history and behaviors and see what those great mommies think.  

Fussiness is a huge indicator of acid reflux, poor sleep, refusal to eat, or overly wanting to eat, arching of back, crying, etc...If your baby seems uncomfortable at all...I would look into this as a possibility.  My daughter never fit ALL of the symptoms of acid reflux so I questioned it forever.  The only thing I knew was that she was in pain.  :(

Hope this helps a little...my mind is just blank right now!  :)
Amy
He is fussy sometimes during eatings, he does spit up and when he does this he vomits but I would not say he spits up or vomits above average.  What are symptoms of acid reflux?   How often is to often for spit up.  Somedays he does puke up what seems like every meal but he is peeing and pooping just fine.   I will keep a journal of the food he is eating.
my daughter use to eat all the time i nurse her and it seemed like she was on the breat all the time i didn't get a break she would also spit up a lot b/c she was over filling herself and she has really bad reflex she has medicine now she takes for it and is doing grea.t Now she will go 3 hours between feedings her dr wanted me to pump every feeding and add rice cereal but i just don't have the time to pump all the time and she seems to be doing just fine with out the cereal. she lost a bit of weight when she had the reflex as well she was diagnosed at 7 weeks. she was 10lbs 13 oz at 6 weeks and then a week later she had droped to 8 lbs which wasn't good she was hospitalized for almost a week and was diagnosed with reflex we were there so long b/c they wouldn't discharge her till she could atleast maintain her weight. she is now almost 10 weeks old and weighs 10lbs 14oz and isn't nearly as fussy.
I question I would ask is how much does he spit up? Sometimes, if my lil boy spits up quite a bit during or after a feeding, he'll want to eat alot sooner than usual. Just a thought... ;-)
My sister in law new baby wakes up like every hour to eat. He is 5 and1/2 months and eats cereal 4 times a day plus breast milk. She is tired . I was thinking about suggesting to pump and have the bottle ready for at night because he just might be thirsty and this way she could offer 8oz all at once and mabey that might calm him down. I also finds he likes to snack not eat.My Daughter was born 2 days after him and she sleeps all night except for when I wake here before I go to bed(12:00) and she sleeps untill 7:00 but my son was like her little baby not hungry just wanted to be held but he would keep me up all night and now he is 4 and still gets up about 3 times a night (pee,drink,need love ect)and I know how hard no sleep is. I dont want her little boy to deprive her of sleep because it makes "life" hard, being always tired. Any suggestions?
anyone there?
My son will be 5 weeks also and eats a lot to.  I was feeding him like you were then I cut back like dr said.  I feed him an average of 3-4 ounces every two to three hours sometimes he will eat an ounce and then a hour later eat another ounce  it is hard because I am not sure if he is hungry or just want to suck something.
My dr. gave me meds for acid reflux and he is doing much better.  Dr. said spit up is a sign of over feeding.  Like another post said, the milk makes them feel better.  I at least wait 2 hours before i feed him and when he is sucking on his fists and sucking on fingers I usually feed him.  Every baby is different
You know my dr. told me 3-4oz at 5w is all they should get every three hours.  I may feed my son more then that when he is showing his signs.  He is 5w.  It is funny how they tell you what to feed.  
MY BABY IS 6WKS AND 1 DAY... HE IS ON A EATING FRENZY.... I AM BREAST FEEDING AND FORMULA FEEDING.. THEY SAY TO KEEP TRYING TO BREAST FEED SO THE MILK COMES IN FASTER BUT I AM SO OVERWHELMED. WE HAVE FED TODAY FROM 9 AM TO 1230.... I AM ONLY GETTING MAYBE 3-5 GOOD BREAST FEEDING IN AND THEN HE HAS 12-20 OZ OF FORMULA A DAY.... HE IS VERY AGGRESSIVE WITH HIS HANDS AND ROOTING RIGHT NOW..........
IS ANYONE BREAST FEEDING AND DOING FORMULA WITH YOUR YOUNG BABY???  HOW IS IT GOING? HAVE YOU BEEN STRESSED AT ALL? MY DR TOLD ME TO LET THE STRESS GO AND ENJOY MY BABY.. SHE SAID IF FORMULA IS NEEDED ITS OK AND NOT TO OBSESS
Adding formula will affect your supply, be aware of that. It is stressful to nurse in the beginning, but getting your milk established makes for smooth sailing down the road.
I'm breast feeding and formula feeding, i did try just breast feeding for 4 weeks but now my baby is 5 weeks old she seems to want to feed constantly so i introduced formula in the day and breast feed from 7pm til half 7 am and she seems alot happier. However i have to pump some breast milk off in the day to stop my breast milk from drying up. I'm alot happier now as i have more time to spend with my other 2 children who are 4 years and 6 years old as someone can feed my little one whilst i give my other 2 children some attention as they we're feeling a little pushed out with my daughter feeding constantly. This way everyone's happy!!! Good luck x
I am also breastfeeding and supplimenting. My little man is 7 weeks. We had a scare when he was 2 weeks old and spent 2days in the hospital because he was choking on dried up breastmilk in his sinus passage. He stopped breathing at one point before the ambulance came. Luckly my husband grabbed the bulb and started sucking the mucus out of his mouth. Our son came back almost instantly. While at the hospital the Dr.'s suggested that I suppliment. At first I was angry and refused but the longer I thought about it It started to sink in. So for the past 4 weeks our son eats anywhere from 2-4oz of formula sensitive, and breastfeeds every 1.5-2hrs, he seems to sleep good at night, only waking up 2x's but during the day he is more alert and seems very happy. This works for me, but I let him decide his schedule and I am happy to submit. good luck.