Maternal & Child Community
Babies and breathing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Babies and breathing

My mom told me today that babies primarily breathe through their noses for the first year.  Is this true?  The reason I ask is, last night Ava was really conjested.  She was trying sooo hard to breathe out of her nose, and she was getting really frustrated, she sounded like a little pig snorting.  I suctioned her nose a couple of time, but not much came out, just the usual normal more solid boggies, not anything really runny.  I called her Pedi today and they said to use saline drops in her nose.  My mom suggested using the mist that they have out now.

I just thought it was interesting that she said they breathe from their noses primarily for the first year... I had no idea.
I also wanted to try letting Ava sleep on her belly some before she begins to roll over.  How safe is it to do that so young?  She is about a week shy of being 3 months old.
I would never put a baby on their stomach to sleep.  It is not safe.  Its one thing if they can roll over onto their stomach by themselves, but ALWAYS put baby on her back to sleep.  2-4 months is the peak age for SIDS.  You should be doing tummy time during the day while she is awake.  That will help her get her head and neck stronger, and eventually she will start rolling over.

As for her nose, try putting the drops of saline in and then try suctioning it out.  This will help loosen it up first.  You can also try using a humidifier in her room at night.  That may help her to breathe better.
You only want babies to sleep on their back or side propped with pillows until they can roll over themselves... Yes they do breath with their noses which is why we have to suction them to keep them open... Saline drops/ and mist really work but you only want to use them for a few days at a time... The humidifier is a great idea...
I actually heard that you could use the saline drops as much as you want and yes they work wonders.  I never had to suction after it, it was just gone.  As far as sleeping on the belly.  It is dangerous because the carbon dioxide gets trapped between the matress and nose and instead of breathing oxygen baby is just getting co2 and you will have no idea there is a problem until she just doesnt wake up.  They will actually keep breathing for quite some time after they become brain dead and it will appear they are fine when they are really in a vegatative state.  Most babies sleep better on their bellys because their arms dont fly up and scare them awake.  You probably dont want to get her used to that nice sleep since she wont be able to have it all of the time for a few months yet.  Really it is up to you.  Most of us on here slept on our bellys.
My ped. said that they breathe through their noses for the first 6 months. My daughter has just turned 7 months and has just started breathing through her mouth. Mind you, she was a month early though.
OK Thanks.  I was worried about her being on her back, but not as much as her laying on her tummy.  The mucous builds up mostly at night and she chokes on it as she sleeps.  I have had her in bed with me propped up on pillows to keep her nose draining.  My Pedi's office has been slammed lately with sick kidos.  My nephew went today and has a sinus infection AND both ears are runny and infected.  Poor little man.  

I'll go pick up the humidifier and see how that works.  I also have some vicks baby oil rub that I'll put on her tonight before I lay her down.  I wish there were more that I could do.  I was advised yesterday NOT to bring her in to the office unless she has a temp of 101 or more.  So, I don't know if this a baby cold or allergies.  It worries me with all the sickness going around lately.  
My boys sounded ucky the first few months to.  Could be allergies, plus they are so sensitive that young.  I would avoid the belly till she is a little bigger, then she can move her head more freely.  I have always been told to use the drops and suction it out, works wonders, even if you are only getting hard ones before, the saline will loosen and help get the others.  A humidifier is great as long as your baby doesn't have any breathing problems, mine have very reactive airways and out ped said in their cases not to do it as the moisture would do more harm.  I bet you are fine though.  Hope your little one feels better.