Maternal & Child Community
Babies holding their heads up on their own

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I posted a question last week about my 10 week old not smiling a lot and I have found that over the last few days he has been smiling more, but its mostly in the morning.  Now I am concerned about him holding his head up on his own.  I took him to the dr's yesterday to discuss this and the dr said just to sit with him on my chest like you would tummy time on the floor and this will force him to hold his head up and to also when he is in a sitting up position to put my fingers on his chin to remind him to keep his head up (that is hard to do) and to also when putting him on the floor on his tummy to sit in front of him and talk to him and play with him and to limit his time in his bouncy chairs and swings and I was just wondering I actually never asked if at 11 weeks he should be holding his head up by himself.  He seems to me to be slightly delayed in everything that he does and that is concerning for me.  He was born at 36 weeks 5 days but I know other people who have had their babies that early and never mentioned any developmental delays.  If anyone has any advice or can tell me when their baby was holding their head up on their own I would greatly appreciate it!!

My son was big so he was holding his head up early.  I think he held his head up on his own at like 5 weeks.  I wouldn't be too concerned, if I were you I would just do a lot of tummy time so he strengthens his neck muscles.  Good luck.
Hi my daughter has got really good at holding her head up she is now 8 weeks old. I think the tummy and chest time is what started it; it seems to help her out a lot. I'm sure he's just taking his own sweet time, try not to worry. Best of luck!
when you say holding his head up do you mean to look around then they put it down or they can keep it up for hours?? at 10 weeks they still come crashing down.  my dd is 15 weeks (born at 34w6d) and she can hold it up fairly well but you have to watch your nose!  all babies are different, i dont think at 10 weeks you should be worried unless he cant lift it at all. maybe he doesnt want to life his head up lol.  
It's not until they are 3 months or older that their neck muscles are strong enough. Like your doc said, give your child opportunity to exercise those muscles. Tummy Time is the best time. Let the baby lay on his tummy on a play mat for 5-10 minutes at a time (they don't like to be on their tummy for too long). This will help build those muscles because he'll want to look up to see his toys.

Also, your child will be delayed. He was born very early, so he may be a month behind on those milestones at first. So if you think of it in terms of him being 5 weeks instead of 10 weeks, you'll see he is NOT delayed at all. He's only delayed when compared with babies who are born full term and are 10 weeks old now. He's not delayed when compared with 5-week-olds because that is what he should be had he been born on time. That make sense?
Every baby does their own milestones at different times.  Everything you read about when a child should be reaching a mildstone is a average time.  Some babies will do things earlier while others later.  I remember when my friend had a baby the same time as my first child and my second child.  Both my children were real early walkers at 8 & 9 months.  Her children did not walk until 14-15 months.  By the time they were all 2 years old you would not know which child was walking first.  My 6 month old that I have now held his head up at birth.  He is so strong and has never seemed like a newborn especially because he never slept.  But if our little ones went to kindergarten together you would not even think about something like what age did your baby hold his head up or smile.  So, don't sweat it unless he is way off on mildstones.   Try not to worry and try not to compare him with everyone else, he is an individual and will develop at his own rate.  Relax and enjoy your little bundle of joy.