Maternal & Child Community
Baby Aspirin after MC to help with conception - Anyone doing that?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had a miscarriage 2 weeks ago, still waiting for my period to come back. I was very disappointed because when pregnant with my son, he's now 27 months, I got diagnosed with Hodgkin's desease so I had to have chemo during my last trimester, give birth, on for 9 more chemo and one month of radiation. I am now closing in on 2 years remission - that's the good news - but I am really wanting to have an other kid. So when I got pregnant I was super excited - seems like conception is not the problem - but I found out during a routine US that there was not more heartbeat. That was at 10 weeks but they featus had stopped growing at 8.3 weeks. So on to the DNC, now someone told me that taking Baby Aspirin, one a day when you have a postive test can help with the blood flow and could help with not miscarring (although no guarantee of course) anyone has done that? thanks
My heart goes out to you.  I did take a baby aspirin every other day for about 2 weeks before I got pregnant. I have no idea if it helped or not but I did get pregnant.  I stopped taking it after I found out I was pregnant.  I had a miscarriage prior to this pregnancy but I am now almost 17 weeks pregnant.  I took the aspirin with this pregnancy.  Good luck to you and you are in my prayers. :)
so do you take it pre conception or when you find out you are prego??
I took it preconception.
Hi, I am taking a baby aspirin or low dose adult aspirin 81mg to help blood flow to the baby and to prevent clotting. I have had 6 unexplained miscarriages The day before yesterday I was diagnosed with MTHFR which has to do why I need the aspirin a day. I am 4w7d pregnant and very thankful that I started taking the baby aspirin and prenatal vitamin also important before conceiving.

I am sorry to hear about your lose. Before this pregnancy with this one, I miscarried on 10/26/06--ovulated on 11/08---and now pregnant without even getting my period which is a miracle in itself being It usually takes me more than a year to conceive.
Lets pray for each other and I hope that this helps.

Christie
When did your miscarriages occur?  Were they early??  I had a miscarriage prior to this pregnancy and got pregnant before AF ever came.  I took baby aspirin for 2 weeks prior to finding out I was pregnant this time.  It probably had nothing to do with it in my case but you never know.  I am now almost 17 weeks pregnant.  Good luck to you! :)
Also you take it preconception and during pregnancy. I see a Fetal Maternal high risk doctor and she say's that it's safe.

Christie
What is MTHFR?
Hi, I started taking the aspirin right after my miscarriage at 5-weeks on 10/26/06, got pregnant again and I am still taking it everyday. I honestly believe that it helped with conception too.
My hcg numbers have gone from: 93.5 to 1,844 6 days later. Congrats to you and baby.
Chrstie

I just found out that I have it so I need to find out more about it but my doctor says that it's genetic and prevents blood flow to the baby and causes a miscarriage so baby aspirin helps the flow. It has to do with blood clotting. I really need to research it myself.

Christie
Hi Everyone!

I am also taking baby aspirin after two miscarriages.  Christie, I really would like to have those blood tests done on me to see if I have the clotting disorder or not!!!!  I am taking baby aspirin, Vitamin B, and extra folic acid, as well as prenatal.

I think I might be pregnant again....I'm in the tww.  I won't know until a week from Saturday.....  I have one more week to go!  It's driving me crazy....

I've never had any problem with conception, it's just been keeping the baby.  So, I'm taking baby aspirin this time.  I hope that does the trick!!!  My losses were at about 6 weeks.  When were yours, Christie?
All of my miscarriages have been 5,6,or7 weeks. It doesn't cost much to do the lab test so why not rule MTHFR out. I'm almost 5w and my hcg is more than doubling so pray for me please.

Christie
Christie, I will pray for you!  Are you taking extra folic acid?  I heard that is necessary for people with MTHFR!!!!

I sure hope I get a BFP in a week!  I'm taking baby aspirin and extra vitamins!!!!
Christie---

I would love to have an email partner.  I don't know if I have MTHFR, but I would love to email and chat with you.

Email me at ***@****
Thank you ladies. I love hearing stories about successful prenancy after miscarriage!! My doctor suggested that I wait 2 cyles before trying again so the lining has time to thicken following the DNC but man, it seems like it will take forever to get there!!!
Thank you to everyone also.  Good luck to all of you ladies!! :)
Hey,
I also have MTHFR from both of my parents.  I have had two m/c in the past year, and was referred to Maternal Fetal Medicine for a consultation.  I had a D&C with my last and showed abnormal chromosomes, but the first m/c naturally at 5/12 weeks, so we were not sure, my Ob thought the blood clotting could have caused that.  However, the specialist ruled that out and said it can not cause pg loss that early.  But, I am still on the baby aspirin until I get pg through 30 weeks I think, b/c it definetly can cause later loss.  There is a blood test to determine this factor, as well as another test they can do to see if you are at risk for a stroke during pg.  Ask your doctor about this if they have prescribed baby asprin.  The way I look at it is it can't hurt.  Good luck and praying you have a BFP real soon!
Hi Allie , yes you're right, a person without MTHFR only needs 400 or 800mg folic acid but I need 4000 for myself and my baby.
Christie
I TAKE 81 LOW DOSE-JUST IN CASE -CANT HURT. I M/C 10/23 TTC NOW-WE WILL SEE!
Hello, I also have had 3 miscarriages two of them this year.
I also have mthfr compound heterozygous I just found out a couple weeks ago. My obgyn put me on prenante elite with meta folin I told her I would like to try again maybe late aug early sept she said when that happen she will put me on baby aspirin. I am wondering if I should go buy some baby aspirin and start taking it now to help my blood flow.
I am 31 and this will be my fist child..
Hi sunshine, have you bought the meds?  I am trying to get pregnant and i dont know where to buy bby aspirin and how it looks like. pls can you tell me.  i am 35 yrs old and i am desperate.
I'm 35 and I have had 3 miscarriages now, 2 at 5 weeks and one at 10 weeks.  I have 3 other children my youngest is 5.  I an desperate for another baby - my last, I have no problem in concieving, its the keeping it which is the problem.  I have just been looking at this site and noticed all of the comments about baby asprin, do you think this would help?  My GP will not do anything about it, he says it will happen just keep trying.   I have been taking my temp. every day and I noticed that my temp didnt' really move much after O. does this mean my prostegeon levels are low?
can anyone tell me more about MTHFR?  I had 2 miscarriages last year, and the dr said I have this.  I don't really understand it.
I had three consecutive miscarriages and then with my 4th pregnancy, my doc advised me to take 81 mgs of aspirin daily all the way up to delivery!!  I had a beautiful 8 pound 12 ounce boy!!! I named him Keenan!!
I have a miscarriage at 8 week.Growth of fetus was verl less of 5 weeks approx.Heartbeat was not there.Blood report says presence of antibodies.The levels were just crossing the limits.Now I am on aspirin 75mg and folic acid.I want to conceive again.Is aspirin is safe to take before conception.Please help.
iv had 3 miscarrages and am now 36 weeks pregnant, iv been taking baby asprin 75mg and pregnancy vits, asprin helps the blood flow to the baby and can prevent a m/c depending of cause of it.

It stops clotting in the placenta and incerasces the blood flow to the womb, because of the increaced blood flow it can also help conception, it took me a month to fall pregnant with this baby after my last m/c, i would advise talking to your dr about taking it 1st, they can run a blood test to see if it would be help you!

I have to stop my asprin on sunday and then am being induced the following sunday on the 1st of feb as it would be unsafe for me to stop taking it as it increases the risk of my baby being stillborn, but also i need to stop so i dont hemorage at delivery! so i need to stop a week befor i get induced! your dr will need to no if you are taking it so they can decide how to best care for you and baby! and decide how it would be safe for you to deliver! good luck x i belived it worked for me
Ladies, thank you so much for all your encouraging stories.  This really lifts my hopes. I have had 2 misscarriages, and trying to conceive again should be starting clomid 100mg this Saturday, the doctor is going to start me on baby asprin once i get pregnant but once reading your stories I think I am going to start taking as a prevention in combination with Robitussin to help cervical mucus.  Wish me luck and God Bless everyone  of you.
I had a miscarriage last week (week 10) - first time pregnant.  I've been trying for 5 years to have a baby.  I've been seeing a fertility specialist for 2 yrs.  My doc discovered I have 2 copies of MTHFR C677T 2 yrs ago in addition to severe endo.  I've had 2 laperoscopies.  For 2 yrs, I've been on Folgard 2.2 (twice daily) along with my Prenatal, fish oil, and a low dose asprin (pre-pregnancy).  Once pregnant, I started Lovenox shots in addition to my daily pill regiment.  Doc said my baby measured 8.5 weeks on week 10.  I get test results back in 3 weeks to determine the cause of my miscarriage.  All i want right now is to get pregnant again.  I'm scared i'm going to be facing more months of infertility and possibly more m/c.  
HI JulieTN,
I also have a similar situation as yourself. I havent been diagnosed with the blood clot disorder, however have been trying to get pregnant for the past 5yrs as well. I fell pregnant in Febuary of this year for the first time, and ended up resulting in a missed miscarriage. I also was supposed to be around 10 1/2 or 11 weeks, and was only measuring 8 1/2 weeks. We had seen the baby's heartbeat 2 weeks earlier then went in and the baby had stopped growing and there was no heartbeat. It was awful. I know what you are going through, wanted to say i am sorry for your loss. However when i mentioned to my ob about doing testing cause our pathology came back normal, she made it out like i would have to have many miscarriages first which i think is ridiculous, one is enough for someone who wants a baby so badly. My question for you is, what kind of test did they do to find out about your blood disorder. i am thinkin of finding a new doctor who will help without me having to go through that again. Good luck to you and lots of baby dust!!!
Sorry I'm just now getting back to you.  My doc ran a panel of genetic tests.  I don't know what the correct name of the group of tests is though - sorry.  I'm sure if you ask your doc, he/she will be able to figure out what you are asking.  Just ask to be tested for MTHFR and the group of tests that comes with it.  

On a side note, I had my first IUI (this past Saturday) since my miscarriage.  The two-week wait is a killer!!  

Good luck with everything!!  Keep me posted if you get preggers again.  I'll keep you in my prayers!!  ~julie
hello christiem i have 2 miscarriges in 09 and 10 i was recently digazonized with MTHFR im not sure what it is but my Ob prescibed me baby asprin and folic acid but im still not sure if i should take it pls help me to understand if i should take the asprin so pls help me
I have recently had two miscarriages. One was at 7 1/2 months it was the worst thing that I had every been through. They told me that my placenta had an infection. Two week earlier I had gone to the ER with severe back pain they told me my white blood cell count was twice what it should have been(means infection) they sent me home without any antibiotics or anything. My second one i was only 6 weeks along but I want a baby and my fiance and I are going to start trying again I'm scared tho. I am currently taking folic acid vitamin c and regular vitamins. I have a very bad immune system so i hope these help? Any other suggestions
i have had 4 unexplained miscarriages over the years.all had stopped growing and heartbeat had stopped around 8 weeks.had tests done but couldn't find anything wrong with me. i am now 4 weeks pregnant again and the specialist at the hospital has this time told me to take a baby aspirin daily. i am trying this now and i really hope it works. has anyone got any success story's from taking baby aspirin?
Hi Ladies,

I had one missed miscarriage and another D&C, both approximately at 10 weeks. This was in 2009 and 2010. After that there were several tests done and all came out normal for both my partner and me. But the doctor advised me to take baby aspirin when trying to conceive. Now, they tried monitoring the cycle for 6 cycles and I have not conceived. Strange. Again I went for an IuI last cycle and I did not conceive. Its all very strange and depressing for me that though I could conceive earlier, it resulted in miscarriage. Despite having normal test results for both of us, now I am not able to conceive with with cycle monitoring and IuI (1 attempt). Now my partner does not want to do an IuI because he says anyway none of these assisted methods dont work, so lets try on our own. I am 30 and he is 34. I am really worried what to do with the next cycles.

Any pointers?

Cheers
Amada
I have MTHFR and I take methylfolate instead of folic acid because our bodies cant break down the folic acid. Methylfolate is the ready to absorb form. I order them online! I wasnt sure if i was supposed to take aspirin or not, i still am not sure! I had 3 miscarriages but I did end up have a child! he is 3 now.