Maternal & Child Community
Baby Napping in Swing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Baby Napping in Swing

My DS is 8 weeks old and has best taken his naps either while I'm holding him or next to me in bed. He lasts about 10 minutes max if I put him in his bassinet. Won't do the "cry it out" method! I recently discovered that he will take his naps very well in the swing.
What has been others expereince with weening them off of the swing and into a bassinet/crib? What is the best technique and age? I just don't want him to be sleeping in his swing when he 6+ months.
Thanks for any feedback!
We did that with my dd because she was colicky and at least she was sleeping.  Eventually we felt she should be in her crib getting used to the fact that it is there that she should sleep wether it was a nap or bedtime.  I had to do the crying it out thing which was awful.  It took about a week but she loves to go to bed now in her own room in her crib.  Let me know if you have any questions on the crying it out method.
my daughter fell asleep anywhere as long as the vacuum was running
have you tried starting her in the swing and then when she falls asleep, putting her in her bassinet?
We only used the swing for naps/night time as a regular thing when the baby was sick because it was the only way the poor little thing could make it through the night with minimal coughing/choking. I think the way I would start off is to only allow one nap per day in the swing ... this way, you ensure that the baby gets a good nap in, but you are still familiarizing the baby with the bassinet/crib.

Is he willing to sleep in the bassinet/crib at night and just doesn't like naps in it? I understand not wanting to do the "cry it out" method ... that is so difficult on the parent. No one wants to see their baby so upset.

I believe it is important for the baby to get his sleep, so I understand the importance of the swing, but I also get how much better it is when you can get the baby acclimated to his bed. I wish you the best. I know this is difficult.
My baby loves to sleep in the swing. Wanted nothing to do with the crib or bassinett. I bought the swaddle blanket from babies r us, with the velcro, ha! that did the trick.  Took a little time but now my Lily will sleep in her bed with the swaddle blanket wrapped up tight around her. Also, she will now sleep on her incline sleep I bought for the bassinett. Good luck! (Also, I play the Celine Dion CD everytime I put her in her crib, she is 11 1/2 weeks :) Good Luck!
When my DD was little the only place I could get her to take a nap was the swing! She started liing it around 3-4 months old and I was not sure what I was going to do when she out grew the swing.
Her Doc. said to just try to ween her off it like you would anything else when she was about 6 months old.
I got very lucky with my DD and she weened herself off of everything!!!
At about 6 months I just stopped putting her in the swing and would give her a bottle before her nap instead of after and rock her in her room. Sh was very happy with that.
Over some time she decided she didn't want the bottle or to be rocked and I could just lie her down for a nap.
She is now 2.5 and is so easy to get to go to sleep, half the time she tucks herslef in for naps and at night!
It was worth lugging around a swing everywhere I went so she could nap when she was little, maybe that is her way of thanking me now :)

Now getting ready for baby #2 we will see what he likes :)
Thank you everyone for the advice and experiences of your own. Even though he is having a hard time sleeping at night as well I'm trying to limit the swing to naps at this point. I have tried putting him in his bassinet (for naps) to start with and starting with the swing then moving him to his bassinet and neither will work as well as just the swing. Of all the experiences that I have heard about it sounds like your baby will just be ready one day to move to the crib. We have him play in his crib a few times during the day so he becomes familiar with it.
Now his night sleeping is getting bad! For awhile there he would do well in his bassinet (putting him in when he was just about to fall asleep), but now the second I put him in it he starts to cry. The guaranteed spot for him to fall asleep and to sleep well is my chest. This is great and all, but it's hard on me to have him sleep there for hours at a time. I can eventually put him down between my husband and I, but I really didn't want to get hung up on the co-sleeping. I guess he'll grow out of this as well. I just have a hard time with being patient with all this!!!
My husband wants me to try the "cry it out" method but I just can't do it to the little guy! I just feel like he is so young to be doing that to him. nataliesmommy, you said it worked for you. How did you handle the crying? How old was your dd?
I tried the swaddling for his current nap...and it WORKED!! He has been sound asleep in his bassinet for 40 minutes. He cried for about 5 minutes, I checked on him, reswaddled him tighter and he went right to sleep. I hope this works more than just this one time!!!