Baby Shower questions / open forum if needed
Just a few questions about baby showers...

How far along where you when you had your baby shower?
Is it uncommon to have baby showers if it's your third?

I had a baby shower for my DS and my DD.  This one is another DD, but she'll be due in the summer.. my other two were both due in the fall.  I would like to have another baby shower for this one, 1) because she is due in the summer 2) because it will be 5 years since my last one and all the stuff I have it outdated 3) because I have new friends I would like to have attend.  So, how common is it?  I don't want people to think it's weird to have a 3rd shower.

Also, how far along where you when you started buying stuff for your baby?  

Thanks.

I haven't bought anything for this baby yet because of my complications and financial situation.  I don't know if anything will be done for a shower if I make it long enough for this baby, because it is my 3rd... even though my daughters are 14 years and 9 years.

With my first I bought things every paycheck till she was born to make sure I had everything, and my mom gave me a baby shower at 8 months.

With my second I bought things from the 6th month on.  My husband's family and Nanny tried to give me a baby shower, but it never really took off.
I had two showers and three kids.

My first daughter was 6 when I was pregnant again with my second daughter.  I wasnt sure I was even going to have more children, so I gave my clothes to pregnant friends, etc.  My second shower I had in December and she was due the end of February (I live on the east coast, so we wanted to have it extra early to avoid weather related problems).  

I got pregnant instantly after the birth of my 2nd daughter with this current pregnancy.  Its a boy, but I am not having another shower... THAT would be overkill IMO (my 2nd child's shower was a December of 05).  

funny you ask this question tho.. I just read a Dear Abby column a few weeks ago asking this same question.  Her response was that a baby shower is to celebrate teh birth of a baby, and each baby is a celebration, so have as many showers as you want.  
As far as buying things, I was once told that it was "bad luck" to buy anything for your baby until after your first trimester so I always waited until after my ultrasound (20 weeks) before I bought anything.  It killed me to wait, but Im a knock on wood, dont tempt fate kinda gal.  :-)
I just had my 3rd daughter and my mother threw me a HUGE baby shower . I think you should have one for every child!! My shower was in October and I had my baby in January. There are soo many new products out there that it is nice to keep up with all the new things and what better way to do that than a shower! Good luck!
I don't believe in it being bad luck.  I mean, sure, I waited until after the first trimester but I did buy my crib a day before my 4 month appointment (and yeah, I was saying to myself, PLEASE let there be a heartbeat still...I just dished out a lot of cash for this crib!!!).  Other than the crib, I haven't bought anything else except for a onesie at Disney World during Christmas.  BUT...I'm going to buy this sweet glider/recliner this weekend!  Very excited.  It takes 12 weeks to get it with custom fabric so if you want to order a crib, or a chair like mine, keep delays in mind.  Some things take Forever to come in.
I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF I'M GETTING A BABY SHOWER!   THIS IS MY FIRST BUT I LIVE IN FLORIDA AND I'M FROM MASSACHUSETTS SO ALL MY FRIENDS ARE THERE.  I WOULD HAVE NO IDEA TO INVITE THERE.  I AM BRINGING THE BABY UP THERE AT 6 WEEKS, MY FRIENDS THINK I SHOULD HAVE ONE AFTER THE BABY IS BORN.  I THINK THATS KIND OF WEIRD.   AS FOR THE ORIGINAL QUESTION, I AGREE, I THINK IF YOUR CHILDREN ARE THAT SPREAD OUT YOU SHOULD HAVE ANOTHER ONE.  CONGRATS~
This is my first due April 18th.  We live 5 hours away from my family and friends. So my in-laws are throwing me a shower on Feb 17th.  And one of my good friends is going to through a shower up north in June after that baby is born.  It will be a shower, but it's more to let my family and friends that live up there meet the baby.  That way we don't have to go to 25 houses in a weekend.  They can all come to us.  As for gifts then, I don't care if I get any or not, but if they want to buy something they can always buy toys, books, diapers, wipes, formula, and cloths.  Just put in your invitation that no gifts are necessary but if you want to purchase anything this is what we are using or what size our baby is.  It leaves it up to them, and they don't feel guilty if they can't afford something or just don't want to buy.  But they get so see your new bundle of joy.  Amy
For the original question....I'm 11 1/2 weeks and I've bought a few things here and there for the baby already. My stroller/carseat travel system was on sale for $50 because they were discontinuing the pattern. That's too good of a deal to pass up! :) I've also picked up a few sale clothing items that are gender neutral. I'm done buying clothes and stuff though, til I find out the sex!   As for a shower, casually mention it to someone like your mom or an aunt that you will have a lot of shopping ahead of you since it's been awhile since your last one. Maybe they'll pitch a shower for you! :)

For the last poster.......I don't think it's a bad idea to have a shower after the baby is born! It's like a birth-day party for the little one! Plus if you are going to be in town, it will give everyone the opportunity to be there at once to see the baby and you won't have visitors in and out the entire time of your stay! My cousin was born 2 mos. early and we had a shower for her and then everyone piled in vehicles together to go to the hospital to see the baby a couple weeks after she was born. :)
I don't have any children...yet..but my husband comes from a very large family.  They do showers for each pregnancy as well as swapping out just about everything whenever some is pregnant...why not have a shower per child...not only do things get outdated...but just because you have other children...doesnt mean the newest edition needs to be that first (or second) child reincarnated wearing all their clothes, using their things...each kid is different...why not each shower too!
I think you should celebrate the birth of each child.  I have a dd, 15.5 a ds 3 and am due in august.  I sure hope to have a shower.

I have a question for my American friends, do you plan your own showers?  I am in Canada and showers are always thrown by a friend or family member.  Often they are a surprise.
I live in the South and traditon has always been 1 shower, but I have seen that changing lately and people haveing a shower for each child.  Here some one always "gives" you a shower and you just show up, so I guess if someone offers to give you a shower go for it!  My DD will be 5 1/2 when this baby comes, she was born in January and this one is due May 22, so I really can't use any of her clothes, but all of my family is from the old school of thinking so no one is having me a shower, but I would do it if anyone offered.
I just had a baby shower for my second baby...2 months before I go in for my c-section. My DD was born a month early so I wanted to make sure to have it early.
I don't see anything wrong with having a celebration for every child you have! It is not so much about the gifts after the 1st baby and more about sharing your good news and miracle with the ones you love!
Since it is a 3rd shower you could always make it a diaper shower and formula(if you are not breast feeding) and most people will bring some clothes anyway :) That is a easy way to get around feeling bad about asking for baby things....everyone can use diapers.
I have also heard of people having a "used" baby shower..were they ask people to bring things they nolonger need....that way you are not asking them to spend alot of $.

Just a few ideas
Congrats :)