Maternal & Child Community
Baby Shower

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Baby Shower

I was wondering do most people have two baby showers or do you only get them once for your first child....my mother thinks you only get one baby shower and thats it...but I think its because I just had my daughter only 18 months ago and I'm due on Sept. 8 but I know i'm going early like I did with my daughter ... Its just this is my 1st BOY and I had my GIRL baby shower so I think its ok to do another one...whats your guys opinion?
It depends. Everyone is different. I had one after my first daughter was born, then didn't have one for my second daughter. It was four years after my second daughter when I was expecting my third daughter and they threw me one for her but not for my fourth daughter. Now, it has been eight years since my fourth daughter and I am having a boy so my girlfriends are throwing me a shower, which is next weekend. I think when it's a different sex than your first it's nice for family/friends to throw a shower, but lots of people just do it for your first.
I also think if it's a different sex then it's real understandable to have a 2nd shower. But maybe that's just me.
I was kinda wondering the same thing. My daughter will be 2 1/2 by the time this baby comes, and I don't know what I'm having for another month. It sure would be nice to get one if I am having a boy, as I am completely unprepared w/ boy clothes/items. But I was wondering if I have another girl, ppl won't think to give me one, because they probably assume I am all set w/ girl stuff. I have already mentioned something to my best friend, and she wants to be the one to throw me one, but already has her hands full w/ building a house and she has a lot going on right now. I would understand if she didn't end up having one, but I would be a little hurt, since she already said she wants to. I guess I will have to wait and see...
I don't think it matters at all.  I am having my second child and I got a shower and gifts from lots of family.  My children will be almost 12 years apart though. I had my first one when I was 17 and back then I had one too!!
I think each baby deserves a shower regardless if it's your first or fifth!  Plus how are you going to attatch a baby shower invitation to their Baby Memory Book if you didn't have one (good excuse huh)?  I'm sure you still have most of the more expensive/necessary items such as a swing, crib and bottles so I wouldn't expect to have a shower to receive things like.  Most people probably assume you kept those things especially since this baby is fairly close in age to your daughter.  I see nothing wrong with having a shower to celebrate and hopefully receiving some new items for a boy like blue blankets, bottles and clothes.  Best of luck!
I'm having TWO showers and I'm only having ONE baby!  LOL...my parents have a house in PA where I spent my summers and many old friends are throwing me one up there...I live in NJ which is where i work and many new friends are...so they are throwing me one here!  I'm just keeping my mouth closed and saying thank you...I think it's really nice that so many peopel want to be a part of this!
Thank you all so much my mom and her new husbands family threw my first one....Although I appreciated it a lot that they would do that it wasnt what I was hoping for with games,food, drinks and etc...I had over 30 people show up for it and got lots of GIRL things....but now I have SOO much girl things and everything is pink!!! nothing blue nothing for a boy and girl could wear ....I have all pink clothes blankets the works....So I'm stuck with nothing for a BOY I told my mom I want to help her plan this one because I want it to my perfection LOL....I just have a way I would like it to be so I hate for people to throw things for me....Well thanks you all helped me decide I NEED ANOTHER ONE FOR MY BOY lol..........Wish I could invite you all to it but I know with travel and everything else NO one would come ...
I had one with each baby, 1st one I had 2, second one 1 and 3d was a very small one, I think they were sick of me, but now 11 years later, I think this should start back over.
i dont want a shower. honestly i hate showers, bridal, baby, whatever. i dont like to play games, i dont like to sit with people watching me open gifts lol.  dont get me wrong, i love gifts haha.  my sis had 2 showers, i know several people that have had multiple showers, even though i read in dear abby it wasnt kosher. i say do what you want.
go ahead and have a shower , I know lots of people who have a shower for every child, its nice so they don't always have hand me downs.

my favorite shower game is poopy diapers,  you take a few diferent types of chocolate bars, melt them down put each one on a different baby's diaper and mark them. then you pass them around and everyone has to sniff and look at them trying to guess what chocolate bar each one is, the person who guesses the most wins a prize. it the only time you will smell something sweet in a diaper.