Maternal & Child Community
Baby born at 35 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Baby born at 35 weeks

As some of you know I am in the hopital on bed rest and I am 34 weeks with 4 cm and 89%.  My baby girl is also breehed and that pose another danger to the situation if my water breaks elsewhere but the hospital.  Anyhoo, I am where I am andam trying to do my best to keep her in.  I am on Magnesium Sulphate until next Wed.  I will be 35 week then.  The game plan is to take me off the Mag next Wed and let me go in to labor if my body wishes, if not, a c-cestion will be scheduled.  Can someone tell me what I should expect for a baby that's born at 35 or so weeks?  Will she be considered premie?  My doc said we have to hold out that long so the baby will likely not need to be in the NICU but a few more days in the nursery.  Any imput is appreciated.
Thanks!
Dolly
OH man, I have BEEN there! However, I was 29 weeks when I was put on hospitalized bed rest and 31 weeks when my son was delivered via c-section. Mag Sulfate is awful business!!! Anyways, at 35 weeks, a baby should be relatively healthy. The hospital I delivered at had a 99% survival rate after 27 weeks so I was pretty pleased with those odds. 35 weeks is a pretty safe range. I think they are considered preemature up until 36 weeks...I think at 36 weeks it is considered full term! I spent 3 weeks in the hospital and it was awful!!! I hope it goes better for you!!!
Babies born before 37 wks are "preemies"   Have they given you anything to help with the babies lung developement?   If I remember correctly Jenshim's son was born at 35 wks.   Maybe she will see this and can answer some questions  for you.  
Good luck!!
yes i got the steroid shots for the lungs
Wow, I don't have any advice because I'm not really sure of what happens if a baby is born at 35 weeks.  Hopefully the steroid shot will do the trick.  You are in my thoughts, good luck with everything.
I got the steroid shots when I was 29 weeks pregnant. My son was very healthy for being born at 31 weeks. He was in the NICU for 6.5 weeks though! So, the steroids should do the baby a world of good, especially if you make it another week.
Yes, that is considered premature.  However, chances are good the baby won't have any serious complications.

The most common complications at that age are unstable blood sugars (often low), rapid breathing or difficulty breathing, jaundice, feeding difficulties, and temperature regulation issues.

Most of these are not serious, and while they may be a cause for some concern, your baby should come away relatively fine.

Some babies born at that age have no problems at all.  Others may have more.  

Good luck!
My son was born at 36 weeks, & he did not have the steroid injection, he wouldn't allow time for that. We were very fortunate and he only had to have some supplimenal oxygen, with the little hoods, he kinda looked like an astronaght.LOL but he only had to stay for four days in the nicu. With your baby a week earlier I would probly guess a week, depending on how hard he works to do it on his own. Babies are amazing at adapting so he/she could come out whaling! My thoughts are with you good luck with your new LITTLE bundle!
My cousin had her son at 36 weeks and stayed in the NICU for three whole weeks as his lungs weren't fully developed.  He was a small baby though even before he was born the dr's had told her he would be very small.  Everybody's different though, you might have a bigger baby!!   :)    
I agree with the others - Hayden will be considered a "premie" if born before 37 weeks but the odds of serious complications at this point are low.  Every day you can keep her in there the better though.  Please keep us posted.
OMG, I am so sorry to read that you are going through this. I am thinking of you and the little one. Keep us posted....
my son was born at 37 weeks.  he was 8lbs 7 oz and 21 in long and did very well
my daughter was born at 34w6d and was 5lbs 2 oz and 17.5 inch long.  she was in the nursery for part of the day i think her breathing was rapid and then back to my room.  both my kids were c sections and became jaundiced, but you can see they were very healthy.  i hope yours stays in just a bit longer, you just never know!
What about the breech position?  Will they try to turn her before letting you go into labor?
dd was born at exactly 36 weeks. we were very fortunate in that she did not need the nicu. she did have some minor problems maintaining body temperature, so they had to check her often while we were in the hospital, and occasionally she had to go under the warmer. the biggest difficulty we had that I attribute to her prematurity were her feeding issues. she had suck-swallow-breathe coordination problems that made breastfeeding impossible. she latched great but could draw out the milk. because she didn't have the breathing coordinated, she had to release her latch to catch her breath. this affected her bottle feeding as well, and feeding in general was a total nightmare until between 3 and 4 months. i saw lactation consultants, but there was nothing they could do to help- it was all a matter of maturity. i ended up pumping. i belong to an i-village pumping community and MANY of the moms there are moms of preemies, so be prepared for that possibility.

dd was TINY when she was born- 4 lbs 13 oz. despite her feeding issues, she gained weight amazingly- almost a pound a week for the first 2 months. by 3 months she looked like a little sumo wrestler. but it was a 24-7 challenge. it took her over an hour to finish a bottle, and needed to eat every 2 hours. she is now a very healthy 1 year old.

good luck! i hope you can hold out an extra week.
I had twins at 35 weeks
they were perfect - released from hospital in less than 48 hours - BUT I did not have bedrest first and they say that makes a difference

anything could happen (some people have them at 36 weeks and they are in NICU - but turn out fine)

I joined preemies on line last year when I thought I might have them early
good luck
DD was born at 35 weeks. She had problems breathing and was on CPAP machine to help her. She also wasn't able to eat and was fed by a nasogastric tube. When she was 10 days old they discovered she had several heart defects that required sugery. So some of her problems could have been related to that--hard to say. She took a long time to learn to eat and it was a long road of breastfeeding, weighing her, pumping and botttle feeding, but we made it to the other side and at 2 months old she was exclusively breastfed and is still breastfeeding at a year old. She is now an active healthy little girl weighing 23 pounds. 35 weekers usually have a tougher start than a full term baby, but shouldn't have any long term problems. Good luck, I hope the mag holds off your delivery until at least next week. And the steriods help their lungs a lot so that is good you got that in before she was born.
Thinking of you Dolly, all the other have said pretty much everything I could, she will be in safe hands in the NICU.
Good luck to you Hon!

Just wanted to offer my support....Peek said it best.

And again,  I know 3 women who had their babies in the past 2 yrs at 35 weeks....All babies were girls and all babies had no problem...went home on time (48hrs) and were all walking by their first birthday and developing fine.

I'm sure she'll be just great!  Many blessing and Wonderful Wishes to You!
Oh Dolly!!! honey, I didn't know you were having this hard issues! I am so sorry girl, but just keep in mind that everything is going to turn out fine! I promise! baby and momma will pull thru and I am positive, that even tho it's scary, you'll deliver baby without problems.

Is your mom here now? are they gonna come to welcome baby?

Big hug to you sista!
My baby was born at 33 weeks after a few weeks in the hosp on bedrest. They gave me steroids prior to her birth to help with her lungs. She was in nicu for over a month. 35 weeks can be either just fine and go home the next day with mom, or need a little bit of time to help with feeding issues, holding temp etc. Hopefully baby will be ok, the longer you keep it in, the better.
Thanks, I am still holdong out, the Mag is really slowing the contractions.  They will take it off next Wed as I will be full 35 weeks.  I wonder if I will go into labor that day or not.  An aversion is not an option with the foot sticking down and I am so dialted/  It will be a c-section.  I wish I cuold go home after the mag treatment to wait it out but I guess it's too dangerous.
Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.  I truly appreciate it.  I will keep you all update.
No, they will not likely try to do an external version with you dilated and being a footling breech.

You may not go into labor when they turn the Mag off, but they won't let you lay there and contract, either, being so far dilated already and breech.  Probably if you start contracting again, they'll do the section.
Hi Dolly,
Just wanted to let you know you're in my prayers.  Hang in there!  Sounds like they're doing everything right and you're in good hands.
i was 33 weeks when my waters went with my daughter and i gave birth when i was 34 weeks she was in special care for 2 weeks which was hard she was classed as prem but shes a bouncy 2 yr old now
Hi I'm 34 weeks pregnant with my first (a little boy) I went for my scan yesterday and my waters are reduced I think there 26 mm in the deepest pool, I think they call it oligohydramnios, there monitoring me twice weekly and my next scan is in two weeks, they really didn't tell me much at the hospital and after looking online iv scared myself to death :o( is there anyone who has experienced this if so what is it? And what's likely to happen from now? Oh allso my baby is breech legs extended. Becca
If baby is breech and doesn't flip you'll have to have a c-section. While it is possible to deliver breech, very few doctors will ever attempt this. It is indeed Oligohydramnios, because your levels are 2.6cm. Make sure you keep drinking lots and lots of water. Dehydration can cause low fluid levels, so you need to keep very hydrated. Did they say if anything else was wrong on the ultrasound?
i had low fluids to and was on hospital bed rest for a week..my fluid lev went from 4 to 5 and 5 to 9 i have to be seen every week 2 times a week and they are saying things should be fine.. just drink alot and rest whenever you can thats the best way to get them back up i am 35 and 5 days.. you have my prayers im sure you will be fine
My little girl born at 35 weeks had a scan which showed bright lights they were still there 2nd scan 1 week after birth. I am told that she should be fine but I am sick with worry she has another scan in 3 weeks. Has anyone been through this? Help.
my daughter was born 36 weeks. ABSOLUTELY  NOTHING wrong with her. She was as healthy as a 40 week baby. Went home next day even. Now my third child wants to come out and play tooo soon. Im only 34 weeks and4 days... has 6 dosages of some pill and was stuck on mag drip... yay... which sucked but good luck
!