Maternal & Child Community
Baby fever with NO symptoms?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Baby fever with NO symptoms?

My 10 month old baby boy has a fever of 102. It started yesterday afternoon and is still not breaking. I have given him Tylenol once to help him at least get some sleep.It barely helped though. He is drinking and eating still and sucking on otter pops, and his diapers are still plenty wet so he is not becoming dehydrated.

My question is, he has NO symptoms of any illness----no runny nose, no pulling at ears, and he is not acting like he is in pain of any kind at all---not crying. Just very hot and wants to be held constantly.
Why would he have a fever with no other symptoms of any sickness?
He may just be teething.
I thought of that, but he has 8 teeth already, (some not all the way in) and didn't have a fever like this with any of them.So I didn't think it could be that.
your ped may want to see him...  although my peds office has told me before that if the fever doesn't go away after 3 days then they would want to see them.  it could still be the brginning of an ear infection.  my middle dd has done this twice like what you're describing and then it just went away.
Roseola. Starts with high fever and no other symptoms. Then in 3-4 days a rash appears when the fever breaks. DD just had this at 11 months. My ped said to just encourage hydration and to give tyelnol or ibuprofen if she seemed uncomfortable.
It def. could be teething, my 1st was like that - highish fever for a few days, then poof  all the other teething symptoms would catch up.  My youngest though, gets sick and only gets fevers and wants to be held all the time - she is sooo laid back I guess it takes a lot to make her feel yucky.  
Also, I find that alternated tylenol and motrin works MUCH better for a fever.
My daughter is 16 months and now and pretty much all of her teeth have come in, but some of them I never even knew were coming in, becasue she did not fuss or anything, and other times she would get a low grade fever.  
i agree- roseola, fifths, coxsackie... tons of viruses start with a fever and no other symptoms. don't be surprised if you see a rash in a couple of days. temps probably too high to be teething. with so many kids, i'm sure he's exposed to stuff all the time (which is probably great for building his immune system!)
Yes, he is exposed to a lot of germs I am sure, from all my kids and all their friends. lol And you know what? This has been my healthiest baby BY FAR!! This is is first illness and fever ever!  He hasn't had any ear infections or sickness of ANY kind yet!! So yes, I really think he has a great immune system.
Thanks. I will see what the next day brings.
that is horrible i hope he gets better
A baby with a high fever and no symptoms is not good. Teething could be an answer - give tylonel if that is not working and fever comes back that would be a doctor visit - or even an ER visit.  Something is causing the fever they should not keep recurring with tylonel when no symptoms are showing.

Sorry I am super paranoid mom who had this happen to my dd and the fever spiked quick.  UTI was the answer.  
My daughter spiked a fever of 104 last evening with no symptoms/warning. I called her doc and they wanted to see her. They mentioned Roseola, possibly a UTI, or some kind of virus. If she still continues with a fever today they want to see her back and do some tests. She is still sleeping(only went to bed at 3am). The unknown is so scary. How is your son doing??
He is still feversih if i don't give him ibuprofen. When I called his ped they said if it lasted more than 3 days to call again. So today is the 3rd day (actually 3 1/2 days even) so I will be calling soon, as he woke up with a fever of 102 again in the middle of the night at 4:30 a.m.
I hope Avery is okay! Let me know what it turns out to be.
Well I just called his ped and they said there is some virus going around right now and many babies are getting this---fever with no symptoms. They said as long as it doesn't get any higher than the 102 its been, and it DOES dcome down with ibuprofen, then don't worry. But you were right to worry about Avery---she said if a fever is 104 then you SHOULD be seen.
Hey Ladies -

Sorry to hear about Avery and Jameson.....

Are you sure that they don't have ear infections....

Jake never showed any signs of any illness, except 102-103 fever...

Dr kept telling me, it's fine, keep giving him motrin...etc....by day 3 I just brought him in.  And both ears were infected.
Deanne is right - Ear infection I did not even think of that.  That couuld be why Avery is grumpy?  But then again she was seen so I am sure the doctor checked her ears.

Jenny - I tend to overreact a lot but I could say that I would 100% take your baby into the Er or Doctor today.  Three days.  Of course it will go down with motrin but motrin is also bad on his little belly and the longer you give it the more it may hurt him.  The fever is coming from somewhere and whatever it is - it is not being treated.

Avery is on her first day and her doctor said that if it comes back she has to go back in today.

UTI are uncommon in boys but do happen.

Good Luck.
Hi Deanne,
He hasn't been pulling at his ears at all, and he doesn't act like he is in pain.He just acts all quiet and wants to lay on me all day. And he hasn't had an ear infection yet in his life. (of course, there is always the first time, but what I mean is he isn't prone to them or anything)

But yes, you could be right. I kinda hoped they would tell me to bring him in. Was Jake pulling at his ears or acting like he was in pain?
I would insist on bringing him into the dr today.   I think 3.5 days with a fever of 102.0 and with him being quiet and laying around is too long.  
Thank you so much. I think its better to over-react than under-react. My mom wouldn't take us to the Dr. unless we had severed a limb. (LOL--not really) but we had to be VERY sick before she thought it was necessary. So I have always wanted to be more attentive than she was. (She was a GREAT mom---I just think a little too lax in health issues)

He actually HATES the Motrin too. I didn't know it was hard on his belly. I am re-thinking what I will do now. So thank you very much.
No - Jake gave me no indication that he was in pain nor did he pull at his ears.
Just boom, one day 102.2 fever and we never could get it down until the antibiotic.

By the way - I showed your profile to my hubby to show him a large family could be a happy family....LOL
He insists we should be done at 2....
I only gave dd it once and she acted funny right away.  then boom she started throwing up in her sleep and she never throws up.  So I was in a panic and then realized why she got sick.  Tylonel works great for her but even that - with these darn fevers - I feel like I am drugging her.
Lol it didn't convince him?? :) ha ha     I LOVE having a big family, but I know it isn't for everyone. But as stinkin cute as your kids are you should have a dozen!! :)

Thanks for the info. I am going to see if he still has the fever when this last dose of Motrin wears off and if he does, I'm taking him in.
Actually after he saw your family (and he did mention - how beautiful everyone is) - I told him about you and how wonderful you are and gorgeous your family is.....he's like, yeah but I bet the kids fight like cats and dogs....I said 'not by the looks of them - and it seems they really enjoy each other'....

DH would love to have 1-2- even 3 more.  But I'm a lot older than him and the fact that we lost 3 - he thinks we are being selfish and should just stop.  Stop putting my health on the line.  He's so afraid of losing me....he doesn't think it's worth it.

But after seeing your beautiful family....he said "Sure, after seeing them, I'll have one more...LOL, Heck - if there are people out there having 7 kids....3 isn't that bad....LOL"

He just didn't know how you transport all those kids....LOL

Which will be our dilema....transportation.
Good Luck with Jameson....cutie pie he is.

Prayers for him to feel better.
Awww Deanne you are so sweet to say those things!!
You know, I have to say my kids actually get along VERY well. The two sets of girls are BEST friends. The only exception is that my 14 year old son can sometimes be quite annoying to the girls and tease and bug. But even thats not TOO bad. And he can be just ADORABLE with the baby--picture a 14 year old teenage boy talking baby talk and kissing a little baby.....SO cute.
And yes, we do really enjoy each other. We get along well, love camping, wave-running and boating.My oldest daughter (18 years old) is in Hawaii right now with friends, and she keeps texting me and saying how she would rather be home with us!!! I said, "Jess, your in HAWAII!!!" she texted, "Well I would rather be with my family then anywhere in the world." Made my heart melt!!

As for transportation, we have a Suburban that seats 9. Gets horrible gas mileage, but thats the only thing that will fit us!! LOL
Thanks again! You and your DH made my day!!!
Yes Avery was checked out head to toe last night. Ears and throat look great. Not what I wanted to hear. A simple answer like an ear infection would have been better than not knowing. I am going to wait and see how Avery is when she wakes up from her nap and if she is not better, she is going back to the doctor. Thanks for all of your help ladies and I hope Jameson is feeling better soon!
how is he feeling i hope he is better its the worst when babies get sick i hope he is better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love ya
GNicole -
My daughter had the same thing last weekend - we took her to the ER, it was late,
and her fever rectally was 103.8.  They checked both ears (same thing, in this situation it would be great to see an infected ear) but they were both clear.  Then they did an catheter (sp?) to check urine for a urinary tract infection (thank goodness it was clear, but HORRIBLE to watch), a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia (the dr says it hides sometimes because she wasnt coughing, except just a little), and bloodwork.  Everything came out fine, which was great because by the time we had blood tests I was so worried that she might have a blood infection.  The Dr said it was just viral and give it 3 days.
Her fever broke by the next day, but she has still has a lingering cough.
Hopefully that is what it is.  I know it is so hard when you dont know what is causing it.
Thanks for the info. Those are the same tests her doc said they would order if it continues.  I am waitng for her to wake up from her nap to see how she is doing and what her temp. is.
Hi Jenny. I was wondering if Jameson is feeling better? Avery is doing much better. The fever only lasted about 24 hours and she is fine now. I hope Jameson is ok now! :)
Thanks so much for asking!! I posted an update yesterday--here is the link.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/576145

I am so glad Avery is okay! I just hate it when little babies are sick.