Maternal & Child Community
Baby getting caught in crib slats!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Baby getting caught in crib slats!

Hey everyone.  We've had this happen a couple of times now, and I don't know how to stop it... my 10mo. old son gets his leg through the slats/bars on the front of his crib and gets stuck.  Our crib is new, and it has the "Juvenile Products Manufacturing Association label", which ensures that the product was designed with safety in mind (the bars are the right distance between).  However he keeps either slipping through or maybe purposely dangling his legs through?  We took the baby bumpers out several months ago since they posed a risk of him strangling or getting caught in once he could roll.  Last night he must have gotten caught between them after we put him to bed.  When I went to get him up this morning his thigh was firmly wedged between two bars, and it took all my strength to bend the wood enough to get his leg back through (his leg must have swollen overnight).  He now has a good bruise on both sides of his thigh from the crib bars.  (I put rubbing alcohol and then an cold pack on it.)  Anyway, has anyone else ever had this situation? My husband said maybe we should attach plexiglass to the outside, but that would cut down on the air circulation.  I did a search on the internet, but couldn't find any other solutions... help!!!  I know that eventually his legs will grow big enough that they won't fit between, but what to do until then?
I know they make bumpers that are mesh (to allow breathing)... Maybe strap him down so he can't move in the crib --- JUST KIDDING!  
My dd does this too...she makes it into a game now b/c she knows i 'm going to come in and help her...but then i leave and ...well you know what happens again!

She normally gets her knee stuck. I then pull her foot closer to me and then move her leg towards the crib...it then slides out. I also keep Vaseline handy for the 'really good ones'...

They do make a plastic liner for the crib...One Step Ahead sells them if you really need it.

Good luck...
Too funny!! I was actually joking to my son after I pulled his little leg out this morning... said, "what am I going to have to do?? Duct tape you in place??"  So your comment made me smile!

Thanks for the suggestion.  After reading that I typed "mesh bumpers" in to search for, and found that BabiesRus sells some mesh ones.  We may have to just give them a try!  The only thing that concerns me is if he'll use them to try and climb up and over.  It said on the site that these bumpers were for "6 mo. and up", so I assume they'll work, but???  I'm telling you, my son is 1/2 monkey, I think!!

Anyway, thanks again!
Ahhhh.... why didn't I think of that!!  Vaseline would've sure helped me this morning, because the more I tried to force his thigh back through, the more he stiffened it up and made it difficult.

Before getting on here to post my question today, I was on the phone with my hubby in tears about the nasty bruise on his leg and insisting that he pick up one of those night-vision cameras to install in my son's room, so I could check on him every few hours.  He doesn't really cry/scream or anything when he gets stuck, just whines, which he also does just when he wakes himself up and self-soothes himself back to sleep.  So, of course I felt doubly bad this AM, because when he whined a bit last night I just waited for him to go back to sleep... I didn't think to check to see if it was a stuck limb!  Poor boy...

I'll check out the One Step Ahead liner too.  THANKS!!
just wanted to say i have one of those video monitors and it does work great. you can see clearly what's going on in the room, even when it's dark.
Contact the crib manufacturer and tell them what happened.  The other suggestions are great and certainly you need to do something!

But let the manufacturer know that your child was injured.  Pictures would be good.  They do need info like this to help prevent tragedies from happening.  
GREAT idea... I hadn't thought about doing that.  I could definitely take some photos of the bruises.  (My panicked mommy-mode was in full force, or I could've gotten a photo of him stuck in there.  Horrible sight, to be sure!!)  I have all the company's info in a packet that came with the crib, so I'll get on that tomorrow.

I just don't understand why they don't make the crib slats even closer together than they do... a hand or foot easily fits between them for quite awhile.  You'd think they'd make them only an inch or so apart, instead of the 2 3/8" that's allowed and considered "safe".  (But then I guess the cost of the cribs would increase, as they'd need more bars.)  I'm just glad that his leg wasn't even more seriously injured or the blood flow cut off.  

Thanks again for the suggestion!
I have a mesh bumper (Brand named "Breathable Bumper" for my 5 month old and it Velcros in place instead of tying.  Anyways it said on the package that it was made to prevent them from both suffocation and using it to climb out, it's really thin and not much structure it's just a guard for their little legs and arms mostly. I have come in to my dd's room and found her face planted in it, but she is just fine when I move her away from it.
Hey!  That's the name brand of the one I saw online for Babies R Us.  I was wondering how it worked.  The customer reviews online for it were mostly positive, although some people say that you need to add more velcro at the top for older babies.  I'm glad to hear from someone who actually is using one.

We'll be going out tomorrow to look for one, and to get a baby video monitor (my dh looked for one at Wal-Mart on his way home from work, but didn't have any luck.  We're going to try Target and Babies R Us tomorrow.)  I've already sent my dh in to check on Alexander 3 times tonight... everytime I hear a slight sound I'm paranoid now.  I miss the days when he either slept in his cradle in our room or co-slept with us.  He's right across the hall, but it feels like miles away.  

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice!!
My son is 1/2 monkey too!!!  He has already climbed out of his crib, landed on his forehead (we are so lucky he was fine, no bruises).  So we lowered the crib to the lowest setting AND took out the bumper which I am sure is what he used to climb out.  And NOW we have the problem of his leg (big thigh to be exact) getting caught in the crib rungs...no idea what to do.  I put the bumper back but only in the back of the crib which is against the wall and also on the side (these where the places where his leg has gotten caught) so now, guess what? His leg was caught in the front of the crib.  I am going to look into this mesh bumper and just hope he can't use this to climb out of the crib.  

One thing I have been doing at night is putting him in a sleep sack which keeps his little monkey legs in a "sack" so they can't get caught.  But during the day when he naps, I don't bother with the sleep sack.  I may start tho...just another idea for people out there with crazy active kiddies :)
I honestly think that the crib makers never thought about a leg getting caught because it gets wedged in at an angle. Maybe they are testing cribs assuming a leg will go straight in and out - and maybe they have not heard any complaints yet because people used to have crib bumpers and now they don`t. So definitely a case for research and warnings.
My initial thought was as well to add a plexi strip to the outside to prevent that little foot from poking out, but yes, not a good idea. However, there are plenty of materials with hole patterns like pegboard on the market that could still get fastened to the outside of the crib to however high your baby`s foot can reach. Or you attach two wood battens at required height to outside of crib and attach the netting to the outside. Either way, for a leg to move up and in between the bars I don`t think it has to be higher than a crib bumper so there is still lots of room for air circulation no matter what.
It is good that you posted this here!
Well, we bought the "Breathable Bumper" (from Babies-R-Us) a week ago or so, and this is the VERY first week that our son has not gotten a limb stuck.  YEA!!!  We also got a video camera/monitor system, which goes through our wireless router, so I can watch him on my laptop wherever I am.

I was worried that he'd use this bumper to climb out of the crib, but, it's actually pretty weak; and when I've watched on the camera, he tries to use it as a foothold, but it just slides down to the mattress (yet stays tight enough that he can't get caught up in it).  I wish it was a little higher, because with the mattress in the lowest postition it only comes up about 1/2 way up the bars, but it's still high enough to keep his arms/legs safe.  He's fallen asleep with his head pressed up against the mesh, and obviously he can breathe just fine.  

My complaint filed with the manufacturer has gone unanswered, but I can only assume that I'm not the first to have complained.  I'm still betting that they won't change anything until forced to by The Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC)... afterall, if they move the rungs/bars closer together, each crib will need more rungs, which would mean their production cost per crib would increase.  Personally, I'd gladly pay the extra expense for a safer crib!

Thanks again everyone for the advice and concern!
I have read all the comments on the board and I thought that I was the only one with this problem.  I'm a first time father and I love my baby girl to death.  When I see that she cries I'm the first one upstairs to her rescue.  One day I put her in the crib it was daytime just for her to play in her crib till I went and got something to drink and I have always my baby monitor with me.  when I heard her cry like never before and when I heard that I ran like crazy upstairs to see what happen to her.  She doesn't know how to sit all the time but she tries and she grabs on to the crib and lifts herself up and stands.  As I saw and I could think on what happen was that when she put her hand thru the crib she fell forward and her hand was still in between the slats, when she fell forward and she was pinched with her body forward and her little hand still behind her.  when I saw that I grabbed her quick and tried to rock her to clam her down.  Seeing her like that almost put me in tears I'm here to protect her and I wasn't.  When I took a look at her little hand it was bruised up a little and I got so pissed that  happen I told my wife that I never want to see her in the stupid crib again.  Now she sleeps in the pack and play in my room because I'm scared to go thru that again so I'm playing it safe and put her in the play pen.  I may be to protective but hey when I see her crying I just want to take her away to a place where she will never get hurt.  Oh boy first time father didn't think I would act this way but I can't stop......Thanks for listening and hopefully someone will do something for these cribs to be more safer not just for the head not to fit thru but also there poor arms and legs.  for the couple with the baby that had the babies legs overnight in between the crib I think I would of broke that crib in pieces can you imagine over night poor kid he just feel asleep because he couldn't get them out.  When I read that I had tears in my eyes on what he went thru.  well thanks for everybody's time and for those with small ones please watch that, as far as I know nothing bad has happen but why chance it keep them safe always.  Chow people......
My daughter kept getting her legs stuck between her crib bars as well. He thighs would be wedged between teh bars and it would be difficult to get them out without trying to hurt her. She one up one mornign with very swollen and bruised legs. I brought her into the doctors adn they said that she has about 4 or 5 fractures in her legs caused by a twisting wrenching motion. Then the called the Children's Aid on me and took my 8 months old daughter at teh time and my 3 year old son. My son also has leukemia so that makes it so much harder on me when I was goign through his treatment at the same time. I don't knwo how they can say that it was child abuse because Nobody woudl ever hurt my daughter. I've never even left her with anyone besides my b/f and he loves her to death. This has been going on for 5 months already. I'm tryign to do everythign I can to get my kdis back. All I was doing was looking after my daughter by bringing her into the hospital as a concerned parent hoping that they can do somethgin for her legs to make her feel better..then they turn aroudn and say that somebody hurt her? It's not fair.
I just had this same issue several times this week.  The slats are only 1 5/8" apart too!  But at 9m her little fat feet and ankles get stuck.  Before researching on here I was thinking of using a roll of that non-skid shelf liner to affix to the inside of the crib with staples.  Especially since its breathable.  I'll check out the products mentioned, but may go with the liner idea.