Maternal & Child Community
Baby has Hiccups

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Baby has Hiccups

It seems that everyday-night the baby seems to get the hiccups.  I am 33 weeks pregnant and everything is normal, it has been a great pregnancy.  I read that hiccups could be related to the umbilical cord being knotted, or clotted.  Just want  to be sure everythings okay.
When I was pregnant my baby had the hiccups 3-4 times a day for 15 minutes at a time.  I too read it could be a problem with the umbilical cord.  I now have a healthy 3 month old little boy.  He still gets the hiccups a lot.  I am sure everything is fine with your baby.  Good luck.
when i was pg with my son my ob said that hiccups are a sign that they are learning how to take in breaths and suck and swallow.....they drink the amniotic fluid and just like normal people they can get their system out of wack.
i did hear a while ago that if it suddenly makes a significant increase in how often then bring it up with the doc.
but if it is concerning you bring it up anyway.
good luck
~nanci
I've read that same thing, but to be honest fetal hiccups are very common and I've never seen a doctor be concerned by it.  

But--as was said, any sudden or unusual change in what the baby does should be reported to your doctor.
I will keep the family and the baby in my prayers, i hope that he will be doing better soon. Please keep us posted on the progress of the baby.
A FRIEND OF OURS BABY GRANDSON WAS BORN EARLY. SHE WAS ONLY 6 MONTHS ALONG WHEN HE HAD TO BE TAKEN DUE TO THE CORD BEING WRAPPED TIGHTLY AROUND HIS NECK. hE WAS BORN A FEW WEEKS AGO. hE WEIGHED 2 LB3OZ AND WAS 13 INCHES LONG. iT WAS TOUGH IN THE BEGINING BUT HE HE DOING BETTER. HE IS NOW 3 POUNDS AND IS OFF THE RESPIRATOR. tHE ONLY THING HE HAS IS THE FEEDING TUBE AND IS EATING WELL. HIS NAME IS DAWSON, WOULD YOU PLEASE KEEP HIM IN YOUR PRAYERS. THANKYOU,DANIELLE
I've never heard of that the umbilical cord being wrapped a sign from hiccups....My daughter had them from about 7 months on and the umbilical cord wasn't wrapped...After she was born she got the hiccups a lot too it was cute. Try not to worry I don't think the hiccups are a sign of the cord wrapped.
I too have never heard of anything beign related to the cord and hiccups.

Although to quote a book I read, think of the hiccups as babies way of saying "Hi mom! I am okay!"
I have also heard that hiccups are just a sign the baby is developing its lungs. My daughter had hiccups all the time, but this one hasnt had them yet.

PeanutMom