Maternal & Child Community
Baby registry

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Baby registry

Hi girls, my friends are throwing me a shower in 3 weeks and I plan on going to register this weekend.  Can you guys give some ideas on what I need to register for.  This is my first and I have no clue in what I need.  I am having a boy in November.
Thanks!
Dolly
I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU PLAN TO REGISTER BUT FOR EXAMPLE IF YOU REGISTER AT TARGET.  THEY WILL HAVE AN ICON THAT SAYS JUMPSTART YOUR REGISTRY.  OR TOP TEN REGISTRY IDEAS.  IT IS A BIG HELP.  OTHERWISE JUST LOOK AROUND AND HAVE FUN.  GOOD LUCK.
Dolly~
How fun! There is so much you need you won't believe it. Bottles, I used Playtex & hated them, I have read that
Dr. Browns are the best. A swing is a good thing to have,  a Boppy pillow, Diapers, Wipes, Towels, Bath items (babywash, shampoo) If you plan on nursing , a Pump. If they did not mail out the invites yet, ask them to put on the invitations instead of a card, please include a book with a message for the baby in front. My Sister & I both did that & it was so fun, we got soooo many great books!
Walk thru the baby isle and see what you want.  A baby registrey is for things you want and may not want to buy yourseld--Say you would really like the deluxe model car seat--but would settle for something else if you had to buy it.  This way a group of people can go in on a present for you.  My aunt's did this --they spent what the normally would but the money pooled to gether got me a few things I really wanted.  Also, I would suggest registering for larger size diapers--2'and threes--the little ones stay in the small diapers for only a short time.
I did my registry through Target and Babies R US.  Like the others said, put more expensive items on there.  Put A lot of stuff on it too.  I only put 10 or 11 items originally on my list and my friends and family laughed at me--obviously, I don't know much about showers.

Anyway...list...
Baby swing
Basinette or co-sleeper --a crib that attaches to your bed
Stroller /car seat
Baby carrier such as baby bjourn
glider rocker
changing table
gift sets --some come with like 5 pieces--sleeper sack, bibs, caps, etc
baby toiletries gift pack--shampoo--baby wash--comb, brush--nail clippers etc

It is overwhelming and I still have stuff to buy.

I would leave out breast pump and breast accessories---that is something you really have to research into yoursel.
ALSO, AFTER MY SHOWER I HAD ALOT OF DUPLICATE HATS AND BIBS AND OUTFITS AND SUCH.  ALSO GOT SOMETHINGS I KNOW I WOULD NEVER USE OR BY THE ADVISE OF FRIENDS SAID I WOULDN'T USE, SO I TOOK THEM BACK.  THEN TOOK THAT MONEY AND GOT THE THINGS I DIDN'T GET ON MY REGISTRY.  FOR EXAMPLE JUST FOR TAKING ABACK FEW LITTLE OUTFITS AND HATS AND BIBS YESTERDAY TO TARGET I GOT 190 DIAPERS.  IT IS AMAZING HOW MUCH YOU GET AT A SHOWER.
Dolly, you need to look at the store's registry suggestions and then for each item think about if you need it/want it or not. I never used a co-sleeper or basinette because I wanted DD in her crib from day 1 BUT my pack n play was invaluable for naps downstairs and for diaper changes. I never wanted a bouncy chair BUT I couldn't live without the swing- it was a lifesaver in terms of putting DD to sleep in a flash. I nursed for 8 months but never pumped and I loved my Boppy A lot of it is very personal in terms of lifestyle. You may need a jogging stroller or a baby carrier because of an active lifestyle, but for other moms, they may need something totally different. Just my 2 cents! I'm sure the staff at the big stores will be happy to assist and they'll give you some tips based on your lifestyle. Good luck and happy shopping!
I would hold off on the diapers, we went through different brands at different stages and certain ones caused rashes (pampers and luvs especially) It would stink to get a bunch of diapers you couldn't use!!

So many things can vary, I had two different swings with my boys and neither of them sat in the darn things for more than 10 minutes the whole time we had them!! The first time I bought just a cheap hand crank one, but the second one had the fancy pooh one and he still hated it.

There are a lot of things out there that really are a waste of money, but there are also some really great products out there. A lot will depend on how you plan to feed. Bottlefeeding requires a bit of research and trial and error to find the right bottle, so I would hold off on asking for 20 bottles of the same brand as it could turn out that those bottles are not right. I think a lot of the big names have starter sets. You could try asking for a few of those in different brands. If you plan on nursing, Lanisoh cream, a boppy pillow and nursing pads are must have's. If you plan on pumping more than occasionally, invest in a really good pump such as the Medela Double Ease, you need something that will keep up your milk supply and many of the cheaper ones have a difficult time in doing so.

Other things I liked were the diaper genie (some hate it and prefer the other brands, again personal preference), union suits (like onesies but they snap up the front, much easier to change if there is a blowout), put lots of socks/booties on the list as you will forever be losing those!! Also, when you buy the infant car seat, make sure it is a 5 point harness, not just the one with the straps that loop over the head/chest and buckle in the crotch. Make sure it has the hip belts as well. As far as a stroller, if you plan on only taking it mall walking or on paved streets, you can get away with the trendy pooh type strollers, but if you plan on walking on more natural terrain, invest in a jogger type stroller with real wheels. We have two different strollers (a double and a single), both meant for pavement and it is a real pain when I have to take it "off road" in the park!!

Don't waste money on a fancy diaper bag, after doing so twice and seeing them fall apart within weeks/months, we bought a backpack and it has held up wonderfully and still has all the nifty pockets and storage areas for under $20.

Some of the things I got but never used :bibs, I don't know why, but I just never used the darn things. I found it was less laundry to just take their shirt off and if I was out I had a box of Bibsters in the backpack. Baby washclothes, major waste of money for us. We just used either our washclothes or bought the disposable ones with the soap already in them. Huggies makes a really great sensitive skin one that worked well even on a newborn. Receiving blankets: hit and miss. The really small ones were worthless, but the extra large ones worked well to cover the carseat while out and about. Neither of my boys like swaddling or being covered up for that matter. Fun for peek-a-boo I guess : ) Oh, and the umpteen zillion nursery care kits. All I have ever used out of those were the nail clippers. Never used the file, never used the huge medicine dropper, the toothbrush in there is huge, the brush and comb didn't do us much good as out babies don't come out with much hair, overall I generally just grabber the clippers out and tossed the rest in a box. Baby bath tub/bath rings: I never used them. No wait I used a bathring for my oldest but he was a chub and kept getting stuck in it!! For the first few months, I would just hop in with them. Once they were old enough to sit up well, I invested in the blow up bathtubs. Worked wonders!!! My youngest absolutely LOVED his Blue's Clues one and it helped to support him from all sides and fit in the regular bathtub. It even had the built in temp thing that let me know if the water was too warm.

Probably one of the best things to put on your list that is often forgotten: medicine. They have the gift sets with the infant tylenol, gas drops, and so on. They are so out of the way when shopping for baby stuff, but the gift sets are always in the baby section. They have baskets with soaps and lotions, along with the medicine.

Aside from the presoaped washclothes, I really love the foaming body wash/shampoo combonations. Our fav is Baby Magic. It cleans well and it easy to rinse out of fine hair. And if you don't have one already, invest in a detachable shower head. Makes for fast and easy cleanup of both parents and baby : )

Wow, it too forever to write all this, sorry it is so long. We wasted so much money on garbage we never used I would hate to see someone else do the same thing!!

Andi

you never know how fast they are going to grow so if you end up with 10 packs of newborn diapers they might grow faster than you can use them. definatly the mylicon gas drops. if you breastfeed and eat something like spicy food or broccoli you can give the baby gas. how fun to go register i loved it. and if you use bottles i went through a million nipples before my son liked one, it looked like a bit toe!! lol have fun and congrats
Oh, I love baby stuff!! SOrry if this is repetitive, but Babies R' Us has a nice New parent checklist that we went by and it covered most of the bases. I find Target doesn't have nearly the selection and stores vary on what they carry. Some things I couldn't live with out besides the obvious...

1.Gerber Nuk slow flow nipples (these are the ONLY ones my DD would use because they are most like a natural latch if you are BF. They fit nicely with Dr. Brown's bottles which are expensive, but great for colicky babies. Also fit on Gerber bottles. Get a few kinds to see what you DS likes, they can be finicky about it.

2.Baby food processor and Ruth Yaron's Supere Baby Food book, if you interested in making some of your own.

3.One of those teethers with the net that screws on and you can put fresh fruits and cold stuff for them to chew on, they love those! Same aisle as the processor.

4. If you want to BF,Breast pump ( a good one), milk storage bags, Lansinoh (sp?) cream, Boppy or similar

5. Larger sizes in the clothes, you will get tons of newborn stuff!

6. At least 3 of each: changing pad covers (they can **** a mile as soon as the diaper comes off :)), mattress protectors, sheets for bassinett and crib. The Gerber ones are the softest I've found and most reasonable.

Have fun registering, hope it helps! :)
bouncer
its so convenient- the baby can sleep in it and i used it many times in the bathroom - put my baby in there while i showered and the sound of the shower water put her out to sleep.
have fun!
oh and i wouldnt put clothes on there.  it so hard to find those clothes when you go there as someone who wants to purchase off the registry.  Plus people like to pick their own out.  Put high prices purchases on there- things that would be difficult fo ryou to purchase on your own- so that way people can pitch in and get them (ex. car seat, stroller).  Then of course the other stuff for those people who will not be contributing to a larger gift.  Stick to the necessities or you will have a shower and still have to get things you need.
Also, make sure to put some little things on there like toys, that way if someone doesn't have a lot of expendable income, they can still buy a little something without feeling bad about not being able to purchase the bigger items. The thick cloth diapers make great burp rags and are fairly inexpensive. Some cutsie rattle type toys (lamaze and baby einstein make some great ones) I will usually buy a few bigger things and then put together a basket with some of the smaller items (I go overboard when shopping for baby shower stuff, it is one of my major vices,lol)

Andi
Thanks for the info, you guys definitely gave me some pointers!  Do you think I should register online items?  I feel bad to have people buy me gifts and then have to pay for shipping....
Well, the online thing can be really helpful to those living out of the area and sometimes they have shipping deals like discount or free shipping with the order. If they live out of area, they will have to ship anyway, so this can make it a little easier.

Walmart.com let you know if an item is available in store or just online, making it easier to decide then if it is worth it. Sometimes you can check out the cost to ship and see if you really want it. I think it offer mroe options to some people. I do a lot of online shopping, so that would be a great idea for people like me : )

Andi
Another suggestion since you're pretty limited on time before your shower is to register for all the things you think you'll need. Then, when DS is born, take him over to a relative's or friend's house with all the baby gear and test DS out in some of the things like a bouncy seat and swing before opening up your boxes. If DS seems to like it, great.  If not, then you can return the gift for something else. Most of the big stores have very generous return policies.  Baby gear can get really expensive and I think it takes a lot of thought when deciding on certain items or you'll end up wasting hundreds of dollars. I thought I chose the right stroller and could get away with only one but I'm on stroller #4 and baby #2's not even here yet!