Maternal & Child Community
Baby was shaking while eating!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Baby was shaking while eating!!

My mom told me yesterday that when she was feeding my son he fell asleep and then started shaking as if he was having a seizure.  It scared her so she took the bottle out of his mouth and still shook, so she started patting his back and he stopped shaking and started to cry.  Does anyone have any idea of what it could've been?  I haven't called the doctor yet and it hasn't happened again.  
he could have had a seizure.  How old is he?  my dd had a seizure while eating on three seperate dates.  turned out after 4 months of testing that she has reflux and asthma and what they believe happend was that during her feeding her food intake was not going down and her ashtma then kicked in resulting in a seizure brough on by just that.  She turned blue two of those times.  She is fine now.  Medicated with Prevacid and Flovent.

Did he go fall asleep after that?  Always call your doctor with any questions.  We had to call 911 three times.  Not an easy situation to be in.  I was and still am so thankful it was not neurology related.  Good Luck.
I would call the doctor and explain what happened. Keep me posted. I will keep you and Jayden in my prayers. Good luck. :)
mami, i would also put a call in to the dr. and tell them what happened. even if it doesn't happen again, they may be able to explain to you some reasons why this happened and some things to look for in the future. when does your little (big) guy go back for his next checkup?
I was so mad at my mom because she didn't tell me until late last night.  But I left a message for my doctor.  He was up after that playing.  He didn't go back to sleep.  Thanks ladies, I will keep you posted.
He just had his 4 month checkup on 3/28.  He doesn't go back until next month.
The fact that he was playing is very reassuing my dd did not do that right away.  It took about 2 hours to get past the episode everytime.
let us know what the dr. says when they call back. i hope everything works out ok :o)
My mom thought maybe he had a nightmare but she really got scared.  I will let you all know.  Thanks.
They are not going to be able to do anything because they did not see it.  I lived through that it was a nightmare.  So after the 3rd time they considered it not a fluke and started all that testing.  Ask your mom and for you and your husband to just pay extra attention when he eats and try not to let him fall asleep right after eating.  I am sure he is fine but your poor mom is prob scared to death so try not to give her a hard time about not telling you she may have just not wanted to to worry or she may have been questioning herself.  Thank God he is watched by her.

Keep us posted.
Oh gosh, not let him fall asleep after eating.  That's difficult, all he does is fall asleep while eating.  That's how he goes to bed at night.  He eats and falls asleep.  So you think I should wake him a little before I put him down to bed?
Pay careful attention (and tell your mom to do the same) to him for a while.  

If he does this again, be sure to write down what he was doing when it happened, how long it lasted, were his eyes open or closed, did he turn blue or did his lips or mouth turn blue, did he go rigid, did he seem unresponsive to stimuli during the episode, did he seem to hold his breath, and did he seem dazed or sleepy right after this?

It could be a one time fluke kind of thing. hopefully.

You mentioned he just saw the dr....did he gat any vaxes? Some side effects include seizures.
peek - thanks I will make sure to pay close attention.  I spoke to the dr. and he said some babies shake when they are falling asleep.  He said there's not much he can do right now but to watch and let him know if it happens again.

sdo - yes, he just had his 4 month vaccinations.  You think that might have something to do with it?  
Keep a camera with recording capabilities close by, most digital cameras offer this feature. Record it if is happens again, it will be much more reliable than frantic recounting.

Thanks ladies for the advice.  Unfortunately, it happened again twice this weekend.  The first time was Saturday, I was feeding him and he fell asleep and started shaking.  I took the bottle out and sat him up and he started crying but then went back to eating again.  The second time was yesterday, he was sitting on my lap playing with his toy and he started shaking.  I stood him up facing me and he started crying.  I called the doc and am waiting for him to get back to me.  Everytime it happens he cries as if he's scared.  I am getting really nervous about this.  My friend recommended me taking him to see a neurologist.
you are right in NY who I am sure has some great doctors.  Neurology will be on the list of doctors they will want him to see and they will start there.  Even if he is having seizures - he will grow out of them.  Those were the only words that helped me along my 4 month journey for an answer.  Does he ever turn blue?  Check his lips?  Learn CPR and go to see some specialists.  They are all around eating - sounds like you could have an end result like I did which is airway issues/reflux.  Simple answer and simple meds and my dd has been fine ever since.  Because he has had 3 episodes they should not take it lightly and if they do - move forward yourself.  

If you come to Philadelphia and go to CHOP I can tell you - they will take every word that comes out of your mouth seriously and they will do all types of neurology tests on him.  My dd episodes all ended by the time I got to the hospital so they had to go on what I was telling them.

Good Luck, stay calm and learn CPR just as piece of mind for both you and your mom who babysits.  We all learned - BUT when it happened again I ran out of the house screaming - big help I was - my mom stayed a little calmer
I watched him this time, since he did it with me and I looked for everything.  He didn't change colors, his eyes didn't roll back or anything like that.  He snapped out of it as soon as I started patting him and he went back to whatever he was doing before it happened.  He doesn't even stop what he's doing...meaning when I was feeding him, he was still drinking and shaking at the same time.  Same thing when he was playing.  He just kept playing while shaking.  It's very strange.  But after I kind of snap him out of it, he starts to cry like he's scared.  

I will definitely want to learn CPR.  You must have been so scared when it happened to your ds.  Lol...I probably would've freaked out like you did.  I think it's a mother thing...we get so flustered because it's our baby.  

I'll keep you posted and thanks for the help.
I am so sorry. I would make sure to talk with his doctor today. Can you just make him an appointment to be seen today? Keep me posted. I will keep you in my prayers. Good luck! :)
I will see if he can see him today.  I guarantee you he will not be able to do anything because he's not around to see him go through it.  He may just send us to a specialist if anything.  I am just getting impatient now because it's taking him so long to call me back.
I would call them back. You have to keep calling to get anything done. It drives me crazy. Good luck! :)
Is there any chance he is just getting the chills?  my dd gets them all the time and for a while I would watch and see to be certain it was not another seizure.  Maybe his milk is warm and there is a chill in the air?  Just an idea?  Dont get upset they always take forever to call back.  You did perfect by watching him - all those details are very important to the doctors especially neruology.  I was in Neurology for 8 hours the day I took her and 2 hours alone was the three of us answering questions.  My boyfriend, my mom and myself.  We had all witnessed it so they needed to hear from all of us.  

I am sure you are scared to death to feed him now, just pay close attention and be sure he is breathing.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Maybe, I'm hoping it's nothing.  I just can't put my finger on it.  He's nope gasping for air, he's not turning colors and his reaction is just surprised when I snap him out of it.  Like what the heck is going on reaction.  It's really strange.  I'm always nervous feeding him because he falls asleep and chokes on the milk.  Now this is another thing that worries me.  He's not even on solids yet and I'm paranoid.  

I will keep you posted...thanks.

I am not an expert at all - but my feeling is he may have a little reflux going on.  Good luck stay calm.
I've always thought he had a little reflux.  I remember he was about 2 months and he burped and some milk came out of his nose.  I read somewhere that, that is a sign of a little reflux.  

The doc called me back and he wants me to bring him in tomorrow.  Hopefully it's nothing.  If I can recall, he used to shake a lot in belly when I was pregnant.  I'm wondering if it's the same thing going on.
aw, wow I'm so sorry little Jayden is going thru this,I hope he gets better, keep me updated ok!
I am so thankful I found this.  I am going through the exact same thing with my son who is 6 months old. He's done exactly the same thing twice. He starts shaking, like his whole body just as he's falling asleep while I am feeding him... I notice because it's not just the chills... its even like in his face and... enough for me to be concerned.. Like make he's having a seizure.

Did you ever find an answer for what's going on? I'm calling his doctor tomorrow, it's just nice to know this isn't extremely rare.

We actually went to see a pediatric neurologist who said it may be just one of his quirks and that he will eventually grow out of it and he did.  My son is healthy and happy.  I would speak to your doctor though, just in case.
My wife and I are young parents, and our 6 month old boy is doing the EXACT same thing.  It's happened twice now where he's eating, and he gets relaxed as if he's about to sleep, and his head/shoulders start shaking very very slightly.  It doesn't seem to bother him, and once we get his attention, it stops.  He also had issues with Acid Reflux in which the Doc prescribed something for it.  We chose not to put him on meds because it doesn't seem severe enough, and he's so little.  We're going to continue to monitor it, but it doesn't seem to be too serious of a problem.
Hi all, well i have 7month old twin boys one of my boys started this shaking whilst drinking a couple of months ago and he can have up to 4 in one bottle anyway we are heading to the peds on wednesday, but what i found strange was my other son has started this week he has now had three. The other day whilst i was feeding they had one after each other. its scary enough with one let alone both my sons. I'm very worried so is my mum, my husband is taking the calm approach. The Royal Childrens here in Melbourne Australia has said they believe it is what they call benign shuttering never heard of it but reading what you guys are describing its sounds the same.
thats whats happening  my daughter and it comes and goes it happens while she is eating and falls asleep she will start shaking and the doctir said if i hold her and she stops it was ok but she doesnt stop so i told the doctor and she referred me to a neurologist buyt now i am waiting till september for her to see the neurologist u should takre him to a neurologist... good luck!!!!
My daughter is having the exact same thing. I feed her expressed breast milk. When she's drinking her bottle and falls asleep she starts shaking. She's had 9 of these episodes in the last month, 8 of those were in the last week, and 3 of them were today. They've done 2 EEGs, a CT scan, and blood work and everything has been normal. The drs have told me they have no idea what's wrong with her. They thought it was reflux and started her on Zantac a week ago but she's still having them. The nurse in the ER today said they should probably admit her for observation, but the doctor said since her vitals were good, she was sending her home. I'm so worried, but a little relieved to see that she's not the only one.
my seven month baby girl is doing the same thing wondering mami1323 what was the problem and if and how they fixed it..
My 4 month old is doing the exact thing you all are talking about. I'm wondering if anyone has found any answers?  We've been referred to a neurologist, but we are over 300th on the wait list and are looking at a 6 month + wait. I'm hoping its nothing severe, but want to find out for sure that the convulsions / shaking isn't hurting him. We've started him on reflux meds to rule that out (he doesn't seem to have other symptoms of reflux), but he continues to have episodes. Any help you can give is welcomed! Thanks!
My son turned 4 months old on Dec 21.  He has had the same issue 4 times.  Only when feeding (nursing) and just as he is falling asleep.  If I pick him up he stops.  His arm was shaking only for the first 3 times and I thought he must be on a nerve as it stopped when I picked him up.  Today his whole head and arm was shaking - it stopped when I ripped him off my nipple and held him up.  Very scary. Not sure where to go from here but my husband feels its nothing to worry about.  
For all the moms who experienced this, what happened?  Did the kids grow out of it?  Did the find anything wrong?  My son started doing this 2 weeks ago and am very scared.  Thanks