Maternal & Child Community
Baby's avg. heartbeat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Baby's avg. heartbeat

At 10 weeks pregnant the doctor found the baby's heart rate was 160bpm.  I just went back for my next appt and am now about 12 weeks along.  The heart rate is now 157bpm.  Is that normal?  Should it be higher?  The doctor said it was in the norm but I was just worried like I am about everything.
That is pretty much what my baby's heart rate was at 10 weeks and again at 14 weeks.  My doc said the bigger they get the slower the heart should beat.  I am taking her word for it as this is my first pregnancy.  I hope that helped.  Good luck.  It sounds like all is well.  Try not to worry.  :)
I just went for my 25 week check up and the baby's heart rate was 168. The nurse said he must be excited to be there. It can depend on how the baby is laying and if it is awake or sleeping. But when ever they check for his heart beat he always kicks at the doppler. I don't know how he knows what they are doing. It is so funny. When I went for my ultrasound at 20 weeks, he hid for the ultrasound thing. He kept hiding his face and pushing at it.
The average heartbeat varies. As long as it stays above 120, everything is fine. The first reading of my son's heartbeat at 10 weeks was 171 and it steadily slowed throughout the pregnancy. He stayed mostly around the 140 range, even through most of the labor.

Congrats on the babies!!

Andrea
Thanks for your comments.  That makes me feel better.  This is my first pregnancy too so everything is new for me.  Best of luck to you guys as well.
HI..I had an ultrasound at 5w6d and they said my baby's heartbeat was 112.  Is that too low or is that normal for that early in the pregnancy?
A heartbeat of 112 is normal for that stage. I should have been a little more specific. It will start out on the lower end and pick up by 8-10 weeks. Sorry I didn't mean to scare you  : (

Andrea