Maternal & Child Community
Bactrim 800 and pregnant--Cat C with possible birth defects and doc rx ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bactrim 800 and pregnant--Cat C with possible birth defects and doc rx for me.

I am concerned  and wanted to know if anyone has been on Bactrim 800 2 times daily for UTI while pregnant.  I do not trust doctors bc they have to write so many products and cant remember preg categories or doses.  She said this is the one she used bc of strain.

I know macrobid is cat B and safe during preg, but she wanted to keep me on bactrim.  If you look up bactrim they show possible brain damage to babies, and during their studies have shown increases in defects vs placebo.  I know i may sound crazy but after 2 MC's, and now i am only 11 weeks, i am just so paranoid.

Please help.

Tags: bactrim, Pregnancy, maternal, animals
I understand what you are saying I was hospitalized and if they could not tell me the drug and catagory I would not take it, everyday they would sent they actual pharmacist in to talk to me about my meds.  I was in there for a freak heart thing that happened to me and I was 9 weeks pregnant.  I took all the B cat but sometimes they did not have a catagory or they were a C.  Some C's are not tested on pregnant women and that is why they make it a C.  You can ask why it is a C?  And why they would prescribe it for you and if the benefit outweighs the risk.  As long as they are giving it to you and it is all documented they wont take a risk, they are liable.
Is this your ob or primary care?  If not your ob, call them.  My primary care won't even see me when I'm pregnant.  I was prescribed macrobid for a uti at the beginning of my pregnancy.  High risk dr. wouldn't prescribe anything else.

I would definately question that particular med.

Good luck to you.
I take a Class C med called Seroquel which I take for being bi-polor.  The class C meds are just not tested on preggo women, but have shown to effect animals.  Remember that the test they run on the animals, rats etc., they give them like 200times the max dose they would ever give a human.  They give them way more then we would ever take.  If it is a class D, then it is a problem.  Class C is not said to be safe, just it is unknown.  If i didn't take this med, I would relaspe into my bi-polor state which would be very harmful to my fetus - I am 13w4d and my baby is fine.  We do another u/s at 20w to make sure everything is ok.