Maternal & Child Community
Bad sleeping patterns

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bad sleeping patterns

My son will be 2 in September, we have a rountine bedtime everynight around 8. He goes to sleep just fine, however he wakes up at 5:00am every morning screaming or crying. I can't remember the last time he woke up happy and cheerful. We thought it was to do with the weather change (light mornings) so we decided to buy 'blacked out curtains' but still no change. We are both so exhausted and we just dont know what to do. Im ok with leaving him to cry as we did this when he was younger but we have tried and his screams just get louder. He hasn't always been like this and doesn't seem to be ill or teething. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I really dont want to put him to bed any later than 8pm, he is always dressed right and placed under the covers.
Small children are often early risers.  Unfortunately you will just have to live with it.
My 3 1/2 yr old has never been a sleeper.  He did not nap much as a baby and it never changed.  His Dr. said some kids just don't need much sleep, just varies.  He is also a crab that you can not talk to or look at for a good 1/2 hour upon waking.  Could be a change in the season, etc., or maybe he's an early riser.  At 2 he can cry it out a little, just tell him it's still night time if you are not ready to get up.  Really if he falls asleep quickly he could be getting close to 9 hours sleep.  I have a friend that puts her little one down at 7 pm every night and is upset that he doesn't sleep through the night, but if he gets up at 4 or 5 am to eat but goes right back to sleep, that's actually a long time for a baby, especially at 3 or 4 months.  Anyway good luck with the little guy, my littlest gets up at 430 each morning.  Not worth it for me to go back to bed and be up at 530am, so I'm getting tired too, just hope he stops waking up in between then too.  Goes to bed around 10 pm and is up 2 or 3 times before 430am.  I bet I'm a peach at work!  Just think, it'll pass soon, maybe not soon enough, but you'll get there.
I put my 2.5 yr old son tro bed at 8p too. He will usually wake up around 7a or 730a. If this little routine was to be disturbed I would DIE. Sounds like that is what you are going through. This isn't what your son normally does and the fact that he is crying when he wakes is a sign he is not well rested. Are you able to reason with him? Will he understand if you tell him it's too early to get up and it's still night night time? If so, I heard a great suggestion for early risers .... Put a night light on a timer and have it go on when it's an appropriate time to wake up. This way, when your little one wakes up and the night light is off, he knows it's still bed time. And vice versa when it's time to get up. Just a suggestion and good luck ... I know this is a hard time and hopefully it's just a phase and not a transition into new behavior.
You also might want to put him to bed a little earliler (like 730p) b/c he could be over tired and will then sleep less and wake up earlier (ironic I know).
Thanks for the replies everyone, i hope your right and it is just a phase. Since i last visited the site he has slept through until 6:30pm so ive seen a major improvement. Like you say it maybe something to do with the weather change, i also think the night light is a really good idea and will buy one at the weekend. Im feeling much more alive rather than like a zombie!! Thanks again everyone