Maternal & Child Community
Basal Body Temperature

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Basal Body Temperature

I have been trying for about a year to get pregnant and have found that my cycle is very irregular.  I have been charting my temperature and find that even if I take the temperature at the same time every day, my temp is all over the place.  Is this normal?
Do you take it as soon as you wake up in the mornings with a basal thermometer? Are you able to see any shift at all after you ovulate? What are the temp ranges?
Are you using an online charting software? FertilityFriend.com is a good one to use and is free. If you are charting online maybe you could post the link to your chart so we can take a look and be more helpful.
I take my temp with a basal thermometer before I get out of bed at the same time every morning even on my days off from work.  My temp ranges between 96.2 and 97.5.  Each month seems to be different.  Looking at the past four months, at the beginning of my menstrual cycle (sp?)it's very high, around 97.3 to .5 and by the end it's down to 96.3 to .5.  After that it flucuates every day, sometimes drastically.  Generally one day I will be say at 96.3 and the next at 97.0 and then the next back to 96.4.  This makes it very hard to find the flucuation that's supposed to happen when you ovulate.  I can also tell that my temp starts to rise again after I've ovulated (I think)and before my menstrual cycle starts.

Fertility Friend - Just the past month I charted my temp online and to my frustration, it could not even tell me when I might have ovulated (it said ovulation not detected), even though I think I figured it out on my own (too late i'm afraid).  

I decided to go with charting my temps due to the fact that in the past year, my whole cycle has varied between 28 to 43 days.  People keep telling me not to think about it and it will happen when it happens, but it's all so frustrating that I can't figure my own body out.

It sounds like your post O temps are from 97.3-97.5, and your cover line would be below that. I would say to try to see the forest for the trees, but if the fertility friend online couldn't even tell when you O'd then I don't know what to say. Have you contacted your ob-gyn or ER? What about using a OPK? My temps are pretty constant, I can tell when I O, still no luck though. Hopefully it'll happen for both of us pretty soon. :)
tresmathews - I've not discussed any drugs with my doc yet.  He's mentioned that there are some out there, but again, told me not to panic that everything looks normal and to give it a few more months and then we'd look into other options if nothing happens.

lukkylizzy - my temps seem to be a little higher towards the end of my cycle, but again, they flucuate by .4 or more degrees up and down everyday, but I do notice they seem to go higher.  But in looking at the last couple of months, it's different each month.  Two cycles ago, I saw a huge jump around where if I was on a 35 day cycle I would O and then my temp steadily went up until my period.  But the month after, forget it... back all over the chart again.
That is not always true you can have regular periods without o'ing. Have they done any tests on your progesterone? Have they suggested any drugs such as clomid to help?
Amen girlfriend, I'm hearing the same tick, tick tick, and my cycles are regular! chlomid ain't done a darn thing for me other than make my normally clockwork 28-30 day cycles w/ O-ing on cd 18 irregular. I guess it does work for some people though. Do you temps ever dip low in the second half of your cycle or do they stay on the high side of what they run?
With my cycles being between 28 to 43 days, I've tried just about everything.  Well I'm sure that's not true, but I have tried the OPKs but never could get a result.  I was on the pill for about 5 years and very regular at 28 days.  Once I got off of it, they gradually became longer and longer.  Some months were 28 then 35 then 38.  Once I even went 7 1/2 to 8 weeks in between.  I even when to my OB/GYN and he said not to panic and sure enough half a week later my period started.  So the OPKs got a little expensive.  That's when I decided to start charting my temp.  For the first couple months it was working out well and then once again it's crazy for the past couple weeks.

I went for my regular check up with my OB/GYN and again he said not to panic and that if I was having regular periods then I was ovulating and that I should give it til the end of the year before we take any drastic steps.  I'm hoping things will work out naturally, but I hear that clock tick, Tick, TICKING!!
This is my first month charting and my temp was 97.0 to 97.2 ranging..then jumped to 97.6 and has remained that temp...not really moving except one day 97.8 then back down to 97.6..is that high enough to maybe be pregnant? I'm still charting and only on day 8 of higher temperatures. Just checking to see if anyone else temps were in this range.