Maternal & Child Community
Being Induced!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Being Induced!!!

Hello all!
i hope everyone is having a good friday. Well I went to the doctor on Tuesday, he said all looks well. He said if the baby doesnt come by the end of the year he will Induce me the first week of January!! OMG my original due date was 1-21-06, Has any one been induced??? I have a friend who was induce but she was past due. Any advice, comments, concerns??????
I was induced 1 day past my due date with my first son. I have heard som babd stories about being induced, but mine went really well, besides the fact that I threw up water all over my husband about an hour and a hal before I my son was delivered. The nurse said that was nature's way of saying that I was fully dilated.
Don't stress, everything will be okay. I am due 1/31 with my second and there is a chance my doctor is going to induce me early since my first was 9lbs 3oz.
Hi.  I dont think it's really a big deal that women get induced.  I've known so many women that were induced.  One was my mother with my younger bro.  She was overdue.  The most recent was my best friend who was induced because her fluid was low.  Everything turned out fine with both.
Just make sure your body is really ready for this.Is is for a medical reason? My cousin got induced three weeks early, just for the reason she was excited to have the baby.She had alot of problems with the induction. They could not get her cervix to dilate and basically had to rip it open. The baby was small and got terrible jaundice. She didn't even look completely developed--her eyes were kind of sealed shut.I personally think she was just not ready to be born yet. This child now has learning disabilities too---I know I can't prove it was caused by the induction but you never know.

I'm sure that most Dr's would make sure your cervix is "ripe" before even attempting an induction. But if your due date is Jan 21, this seems way to early to induce unless there is a medical reason.Usually inductions aren't done unless you are withing a week of your due date.
Hope I am not scaring you or offending you.Just sharing a story with you so you know of another's experience.
I was induced on my due date for practical reasons (my doc was going out of town for 5 days, my parents came from France and were leaving a week after my EDD) and the placenta was getting a bit calcified.
It was long, I got there the night before, they put the cevidil in (a little strip thing to soften the cervix) but it didn't do anything, at 6am the doc broke my water, then I got the pitocin and I was dilating really slowly, by 5pm I was only 4-5 so the doc said that he'll be back at 10 and if I wasn't ready to push I'll get a c-section but at 10 I was ready and I pushed for 19 minutes and out came baby!
an induction can fail, the less dilated you are the more chances of getting a c-section you get (I was only a finger tip but my water was broken a long time before so I had an anti biotic drip to prevent infection).
I know you can't wait to have your baby, but if there is no medical reason for an induction, I would suggest that you wait until at least your EDD, you will have more chances to have a successfull induction (mostly if you are dilated a few cm)
I just wanted to say that I didnt mean that it's not a big deal that YOUR being induced. I just mean that I dont think there is anything to worry about as its very common. I just wanted to clarify. :-) Good luck
Well when i got my ultrasound at 25 weeks, my doctor said my baby was goign to be on the bigger size, 8 or 9 pounds, and he doestn want the baby to be too big.
That is when he first mentioned being induced until Tuesday visit. I am a little scared, this is my first. I have also been getting more cramps lately, so I mentioned it to my doctor and he said it was my uterus getting ready for labot. I had them last night I was so scared. Any one out there have a bicornial uterus ( I hope I spelled that right) ?? What was your labor and delivery like?
I was induced with my 2nd one.  I would have been with my 1st one too but my waterbroke, image that!  I went in around 9am, got started, and ended up having her a quarter to 5pm.  I will always ask to be induced rather that getting to big and delivering a huge baby. LOL
i have a bicornuate uter but i didn't get to experience labor b/c i had to have a c-section due to the baby being breech. i will be having a planned c-section with this baby as well i am 32 weeks and this monday i will find out when he plans on doing it. i do know that she is on the bigger side my son was born at 37 weeks and was 8 lbs 2 oz they thing if he had stayed in anylonger he would have been a 10 pounder.
I was induced with my ds, three days before due date because my blood pressure was a little high and I was retaining a lot of water.  Not quite preeclampsia but close.  All they used was that gel they put on your cervix to soften it, and it took about 24 hours to put me into active labor, then my son was born in three hours, only 10 minutes pushing.  He was also a pretty big baby 8lb 2oz.  I also have a biconurate uterus but didn't even learn that until this pregnancy, so it had no effect whatsoever on my first pregnancy and so far hasn't had any on this pregnancy either.
I was induced on 11-07-2006 and the cotractions were HORRIFFIC !!! I went in the night before at 6 pm and they gelled me and gave me a low dose of pitocin at 2am. The next morning around 8am they increased the pitocin and still i was only 1 cm dialated. Around 1pm my contractions got pretty bad, and by 2:50pm they were unbearable,and i got an epidural. Not to mention that the epidural was only on my right side!!!
I had my daughter at 3:55pm after 15 minutes of pushing. I was induced at 38.6 weeks and I had a high risk pregnancy. They didnt want me to go into labor because of the bloodthiners that i was on. I needed to be off them for at least 36 hours before i delivered.  I do agree that the heavy contractions do come all at once when you're being induced. I also think, as a few others said, maybe you should wait until you're a little further along. Atleast until you're considered full term. Can you get a ultrasound to measure the babys growth, or find out if the babys lungs are mature enough first??? I had a ultrasound measuring my babys growth 4 days before i had her and they told me that she was 6lbs 3oz, well 4 days later when I had her she was lbs 8oz, so they were pretty acurate!!!(oh, the sono was in  fetal maternal medicine, you may need a refferal if you are not high risk!) But try it if you can to help ease your mind.
Best of luck and keep us posted!
Tiffany
sorry 6lbs 8 oz(the babys birth weight)
I was indused with dd.Not with ds.I think it is more painful.With induction the pain comes all at once.Just get epidural & you'll be fine...GOOD LUCK,nanis
THank you for all your responses!
I feel a little better at ease.. but I must say that I have no urge in experience the horrific contractions :-(
I will keep all of you posted. I go back to the doc 12-19 for an ultrasound to see how big he is and if he is position.
Have a great weekend!
My sister was induced four weeks early with the first due to medical issues but was unable to dialate past 4. They finally took my nephew by c-section. At a month early, he was still 7.5 pounds.
She was induced two weeks early with her second and had a normal, fine vaginal delivery. At two weeks early, he was over 8.5 pounds.
With her third, my sister was induced two weeks early but opted for a c-section because the baby was already 9.5 pounds.
As you can see, my sister also was prone to having larger children. She was very happy to be induced all three times. She was so upset when she had to have the first c-section, and she cried when she knew she had to go with it for the third. Now, a year and a half later, she looks back saying she wishes she would have gone with a c-section for all three! ;0)
Inductions have become so common that the negative stigma is not as attached to them anymore. My personal preference is to be induced a couple of weeks early with this one (I am only 7.5 weeks right now) because I plan to take the Bar Exam the end of July and cannot be in labor while taking the exam! ;0) However, we won't be able to know for sure until I am much further along so we can assess the baby's development, etc.
I wish you the best. 2-3 weeks early is not a big deal at all, especially if the baby is already measuring large. The baby my husband and I care for was an induction baby, and she was born a couple of weeks early as well because her birth mother failed to eat adequately during the pregnancy, and the baby was at a high risk of being still born due to the malnutrition. The first day of induction via pit didn't take, so the dr turned the pit off after about twelve hours. The next day started very slowly also, but things progressed very quickly after the first seven slow hours, and only seven hours later, the baby was born ... a beautiful and healthy 4pd, 15oz.
I wish you the best! Congratulations on your family addition!
It's important to realize that there are risks to being induced.  Unfortunatly, the medical community finds it convenient as it "hurries" things along.  If there is a medical reason which jepordizes the well being of you or your baby than I say go for it.  If it's done out of sheer convenience then it isn't worth the risks.  Plus, it's extremely painful.  Your uterus will not build up to strong contractions, but will have intense contractions from the get go.  Good Luck!