Maternal & Child Community
Being Induced

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Being Induced

It has been a very long while since  have posted on this site.  I am scheduled to be induced on Monday and having some reservations.  I was just wondering how many of you are planning on being induced?  My original due date is 2/23.
I'm not currently planning on being induced, but have been induced twice.  I was very scared...all of the 'what ifs', and why don't we leave well enough alone.  Dr.'s don't just schedule inductions for no reason, and he obviously feels that it will take.  Relax.  It will be fine, and over way before you know it.  The only thing that I didn't like: the contractions come one on top of the other, and the uterus doesn't get any 'down time' like natural contractions...so, you may plan on your pain killer...mine was always an epidural.
Good Luck.
If your orignal date is the 23rd why are you being induced??? If you are overdue or they want to speed up the process for the sake of mommy i understand but why if theres no need?? I'm only asking because I hated being induced. You go from nothing to hard fast full blown labour. In my opinion it hurt way more then waiting it out.
This is my first baby and my doctor suggested me being induced.  I am measuring a week ahead (not that that means much).  I really want my doctor to deliver my baby and not one of the other ones on his staff.  I am also really swelling bad and in pain.  Plus my husband works an hour away from me and I am really scared that it will happen when he is at work.  I know the baby will not come in that hour but just knowing he will be there when everything starts makes me feel better.
slyfoxx is right, it is more painful...excrutiating.  Get an epidural.  
I was induced with my 2nd daughter.  I LOVED it.  My doctor induced me a bit early as well.  I went in and got Pitocin at 9 a.m.  He allowed me to have an epidural shortly thereafter.  I spent the rest of the day in labor but didnt feel any of it.  I went from 4 cm dilated to the birth of my last daughter 45 minutes later.  I only pushed twice.  I could have literally got off the labor and delivery table and walked to my room, however, due to the epidural, they wouldnt let me.  I had absolutely no pain, no problem pushing.  

My first daughter I went into natural labor 2 weeks late and it was a much harder labor than when I was induced.  My second experience was teh induction.  I am currently pregnant and due about the same time you are and have been begging my doctor at each weekly visit to PLEASE induce me again this time.  

I found it easier than natural progress.  Just make sure you get your epidural when you start to feel the contractions.  The poster that said labor is intense was correct.  You go from nothing to full blown labor in no time at all, however, with that epidural, you wont feel it.  I spent the 8 hours from starting Pitocin to the last 45 minutes reading a book and watching TV while watching my contractions spike off the monitor.  
I didn't want to be induced because I didn't want to push out a baby that wasn't fully 'cooked.'  Had a hell of an argument with one of the doctors at week 37 when he was ready to induce me and I didn't feel like it was time yet.  At week 39, baby said "I'm ready!" (contractions and the amniotic sac breaking) and in we went.  (I did have an epidural.)  Baby is great, very solid and strong.  If it hadn't been for the fear of pushing out a baby that wasn't really mature, I would probably have been more open to being induced at week 37, because I was starting to swell up, especially in the feet.  It's a balance of mommy's health and baby's health at that point, and each person has to decide for herself with the help of her doc, I think.
Thank you for the words of encouragement....it really healps to hear things like that...I really have struggled with the idea, but I think that is what we are going to do :o)
Just keep in mind that when you have the epidural, it tends to slow your labor down.  He told me I could have my epidural any time I wanted... I tried to wait until I actually felt a few contractions before calling for the anesthesiologist just becasue I didnt want to delay labor that much.  Dont get me wrong, Im a wus when it comes to pain so as soon as I felt them coming, I had the nurse call for the epidural.

I had more problems with teh epidural making my legs feel funny (couldnt feel them at all) that I actually had them turn my epidural down a bit prior to delivery.  

Good luck.  I hope you have an experience similar to mine. You'll have to post and let us know!!  Congrats on being so close to having your little one!!
I'm a little jealous :) my due date is also February 23rd, and at my last appointment my dr said she would induce me at 39 weeks, which I guess would be the 16th.  Tomorrow I plan on begging her to actually schedule it so I know what's going on.  I was also induced with my son two days before due date just because I was so miserable, and although it was really painful labor, it also went really fast, about three hours of active labor and ten minutes of pushing, so my experience with induction is pretty positive.
I think you need to have a favorable cervix too.  Mine was when I was induced with my son, but I was past due.  It took 2 days for me, and I was already in labor when they checked me in, contractions about 6 to 7 minutes apart.  I reacted to the pitocin and had no break from the contractions, that was before my epidural on the second day.  Just one big contraction...for over 45 minutes.  Not fun for me, but everyone is different.  Not to scare you.  Just relax and trust your Dr. and don't be afraid to ask for pain meds.  Congrats and good luck.
That is already going to be one of the first things that comes out of my mouth
my partner was induced with her 2 births simply because the babies refused to come out! at 41 and 42 weeks she was barely dilated, not at all effaced and clearly not heading towards labor. if they had their way, the babies would probably still be in there.