Maternal & Child Community
Being pregnant around chemo/radiation treatment recipiant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi im 36 weeks pregnant and my mother in law has just started chemo & radiation therapy. I was told just the other day by a friend that while she was pregnant a lady she worked with went through treatment and was told she could not have any contact with women who were pregnant or with new born babies. I will be asking my doctor about this but just wondering if anybody out there knows any more about this. Any web sights with info would be great to thanks.
I'm a retired dental hygenist, I took radiology when I was in school, even had to take a board for it.  I have never heard of this anywhere.  I've never heard that its even a threat because of just being around someone who has been on chemo and/or radiation therapy.  If you were in the room with her at the time of treatment, then yes.  There are pregnant women who work in medical fields that work with radiology everyday, you just have to use caution when working in fields like that.  I'm 21 weeks pregnant and I have had over 10 x-rays take during my pregnancy (also under general anesthisa twice).  My baby is checks out fine.  I would ask my doctor, but I don't think its anything you will have to worry about.
Personally I would try to avoid being around her.  I have heard it is bad if you are not pregnant but in child bearing age. I also know while pregnant they tell you to avoid X-rays unless absolutely necessary.  So if it is absolutely necessary you are around your MIL while she is doing her radiation treatment, then I would try to keep your distance a bit.  Again ask your doctor, but in my opinion why risk it.
I disagree with babyscience.  I even did some quick research on the net and I have found no evidence to support this theory.    
I would think there is more of a risk for her as her immune system is very fragile while on treatment.  Her doctors have probably covered keeping her away from public places and people who are sick or may be getting sick.  Everything I have read about pregnancy says our immune system is also not as strong as well, so I would just be careful not to be around her if you think you may be catching a cold, virus, etc.  I see no reason to think her treatments would affect you or your baby. I hope you mil does well with treatment, and her illness, it is not easy to go through.
I had chemo while pregnant and then just after the baby was born followed by radiation.  The only rule was to try to avoid germ-meisters (like small children who had lots of colds) only so that I didn't have to also fight off unneccessary illnesses during chemo.  I taught Sunday School to a bunch of first graders during cold and flu season anyway.  Just washed my hands A LOT.  Baby was fine, so is mommy.

Anyone who is pregnant can be around chemo or radiation patients.  There is not harm to either person.

Nothing to avoid, nothing to worry over.  Just old wives tales.
Also forgot to mention, I had a toddler/baby during this time.  Man was I busy!

Everyone is fine, and I didn't glow (much!).

Anyone going through chemo needs all the loving they can get, and anyone who's pregnant also needs a hug and help.  Kids just want to touch a bald head.