Maternal & Child Community
Benadryl and Tylenol PM
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Benadryl and Tylenol PM

I want to know if you can take Tylenol PM or Benadryl while pregnant. I looked it up on line and read several times they were both ok, but today I asked te nurse and she said not to Tylenol PM.   I am a little concerned becasue I have taken Tylenol PM on a couple of occastions becasue I have so much problems sleeping, but I have only took one at a time.
Related Discussions
22 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
108334_tn?1253647995
Someone else told me that they take 1/2 a Benadryl (I think). I'm glad you asked because I am also having problems sleeping, yet I am soo tired. I go to the dr on Wed, so I will ask her then. Good Luck and sleepy dust to you!!
Blank
I dont know about benadryl, but i did take tylenol pm thruought both of my pregnancies,(I think the main ingredient are the same) my dr told me it was fine, and both my boys are fine..
Blank
My doctor has said that Benadryl is safe to take throuhout pregancy. Tylenol PM is not recommended until second trimester. Not sure why but that is what my doc said.
Blank
118074_tn?1228332603
My doc said Benedryll is fine.  I am not sure about Tylenol pm.  Call your OB and ask!
Blank
131073_tn?1252454452
Benadryl is absolutely allowed. My doc recomended it when I told her I had trouble sleeping throughout the night. I didn't end up taking it bc I had my mc a few days after....but, let me know if it works!!!! Good luck
Blank
Tylenol PM is Tylenol and Benadryl.  I think both are ok in all trimesters.
Blank
http://www.safefetus.com/index.htm
This is a website where you can look up any drug & it tells you how safe it is during preg.
Blank
108334_tn?1253647995
Do you have to stay away from a certain form of Benadryl? I know when TTC you can use Robitussin, but you have to make sure it's the plain jane Robitussin. Don't know if there a few different formulas for Benadryl?? Thanks!
Blank
144571_tn?1213935474
Thank you for your comments. I will also check out that website I was sent to see what is safe.  There is so many do's and don'ts to this pregnancy. Sometimes I think I will never make it through. I told a friend early I am only 10 wks and already decided this was my last. Although I am yet to have morning sickness
Blank
I was told that Tylenol PM is OK to take when you are pregnant a couple times a week. Tylenol is the only pain OTC pain reliever they tell you take when you are pregnant and Benadryl is defietly OK. I had the same problem with sleeping while pregnant.
Blank
my dr. told me I could for allergies or trouble sleeping.
Blank
Great question. Do you think I can take the benadryl just to help me sleep in the first trimester? I dont have a cold but I am having a tough time sleeping through the night.
Blank
I have severe restless and crampy legs. I am 33 weeks and 3 days. I told my DR I was having problems sleeping and she said it is Ok to take both. Tylenol and Benadryl. Just to drink more water than usual.
Blank
I did a few times. Also, it helps take the nausea away I found out.
Blank
the way to make sure that what you're taking is just benadryl, and not benadryl with something added is to look on the back of the bottle (or box) under active ingredients.  as long as the only ingredient listed is diphenhydramine (i.e. Benadryl) than you are ok.  if it has something else listed then you should ask your dr. if it's ok.  i took tylenol pm with both my previous pregnancies, but only when absolutely necessary.  i was told by my dr. and the pharmacist that benadryl can get to the baby, and their little livers and kidneys have trouble metabolizing it the same way we as adults do.  i was also told it can make the baby sleepy.
i'm pretty sure benadryl also dries up secretions, that's why you take it when you're so stuffy.  so if you take it or tylenol pm make sure you're drinking plenty of fluids so the little one isn't deprived.
by the way, both my little ones were born without any defects.
Blank
Yeah, just take Benedryl allergy and not all of the other Benedryls. They also have Benedryl cough and things like that. They just say to take plain Benedryl. I have taken through all 5 of my pregnancies with no problems. It is great for colds and to help you sleep.
Blank
I took tylenol throughout my pregnancy, but I never took tylenol pm....I think I remember my doctor saying it was ok to take once I got past a certain point and I can't even remember when that was.  But I did take Benadryl after I asked about it, but I was further along.
Blank
im not sure im pregnant yet., but im showing alot of signs.
i have been trying for like 5 mos, now.
i take 5 tylenol PMS at nite bc. i cant sleep.
i wld hate to hurt a bby im not sure i have yet, that ive tried to hard to concieve (conceive).
do u all think i cld b hurting it?
Blank
108334_tn?1253647995
I took both while pregnant and were OK'd by my dr. Tylenol PM is just Tylenol and Benadryl together. Good luck getting some sleep! : )
Blank
174515_tn?1191710869
taking that many at a time is dangerous to you much less your future baby. everyone of those has tylenol in it(obviously) taking excessive amounts can cause liver damage. if you are having that much trouble sleeping you need to talk to the doctor about it and get on a prescription medication
Blank
108334_tn?1253647995
If you are taking 5 Tylenol PMs a night, you should see a dr about your trouble sleeping. Taking that many Tylenols everynight can put you at risk for ODing on acetominaphin.
Blank
My doctor told me that Tylenol PM is completely fine to take, and my friend/coworker took Tylenol PM EVERY SINGLE night throughout her pregnancy. No joke. And she has a very healthy 4 1/2 month old and just found out she is expecting again already!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...