Maternal & Child Community
Benadryl for a 7 month old?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Benadryl for a 7 month old?

So my ped.. told me to give aubree baby bendadryl .. well there is no such thing as baby benadryl just childrens benadryl .. so I called and she said that would fine but to only give a quarter of a dropper full... now aubree weighs maybe 18 lbs.. isn't childrens benadryl a little too strong for her? And we don't even know if she does indeed have allergies.. the doc said they would do an allergy test at her next scheduled appt which is in feb.. but to go ahead and give he  the benadryl
there is no infant's benadryl because it was recently pulled from the shelves. too many parents were misusing it and overdosing their children. it's effectiveness is not certain.

that being said, if your daughter is truly showing signs of an allergic reaction and the pediatrician saw her, then she can safely take benadryl. don't accept the answer of a quarter of a dropper full though. call back and ask how many mL or tsp she needs of that concentration. or you can ask a pharmacist to calculate it for you. she should have told you this when she saw aubrey. children's medication isn't too strong- it's just a different concentration so you need to take that in to consideration when dosing.

i hope she's feeling OK. is she reacting to something in specific? it's an off time of year for environmental allergens.
Allie got benadryl for the first time around 13 months or so. It was because of mucus in the back of her throat not necessarily because of allergies. I cant remember how much i gave her but she was ok with it.
I give my nine month old son Benadryl occasionally for a runny nose. It's all right to give occasionally and for infants, it is 1/2 teaspoon of the liquid children's Benadryl. I just gave him some today, actually and have been giving it to him infrequently since he was five or six months old. He hasn't had any adverse reactions with it
No, no no no no no no no no you should never give your infant medication without the express consent and instruction of your doctor and a pharmacist. The CDC and FDA has come out and completely condemned the use of these medications in children under the age of 4 as there have been numerous lethal overdoses and the effectiveness of these medications has long been disputed.

Never give these medications for a simple cold or runny nose or to get them to sleep. Worse case scenario is giving bendrayl for an allergic reaction.
And I meant to add that you need a written dosing schedule with thorough instructions from a pharmacist.

i agree- PLEASE don't go by the dosage someone on here says.

Last week we went to the ped because DD was covered in hives. The pediatrician took her exact weight and calculated the dose. and dd is 18 months, not a small infant. age has nothing to do with dose- it is weight.

Like Andi said, the reason why the FDA pulled infants benadryl is because parents have been giving it to children for simple runny noses and such. Studies show the risks outweight the benefits.
Aspen got sick at like 9 or 10 months and had such a bad runny nose that he doctor prescribed her benadryl. But like the others said it was based on her weight and her doctor stressed to only give it to her when needed which she was sick.
i say until the testing use saline and suction her nose.  i have been doing that with my 14 month old and while its a fight and she hates it, i dont have to worry about over medicating.  
My ped just told me to give my 7month old 18 pound boy to take Benadryl for his cough. Not the actual cough per se, but for the boogers(lol) and phlegm that makes his coughing worse. He throws up and etc...my ped told me to give 1/2 teaspoon. I measured that with a infants motrin dropper and that was to the top line 1.8 ml. Reactions so far? sleepy, kinda fussy, kinda not his usual self but i figure since he isnt coughing and throwin up his food better that he gets rest till the cough disappears than have him dehydrate or something the like cuz his cough attacks are too much for him...Also alot of suctioning of his nose to keep his passages as clear as i can...hope this helps...looked around alot on the internet and find alot of the same thing.
Lauren started on Benedryl at around 9mo for eczema and was promoted to Atarax (high powered benedryl before she was 2)...  call back doc if you are uncertain and make sure you give her the exact specified amount for her weight.

I didn't think they could skin allergy test until 2, but that just may be around here (or these docs).  AND we had to keep Lauren off anything unless otherwise specified for 10 days before testing.
It scares me that there are so many misconceptions about dosing Benadryl.  This is why its not recommended at all under the age of 1 year (unless advised by a pediatrician who is aware of the child weight).  

If a doctor recommends it, SPECIFIC, VERY CLEAR instructions should be given to the parent as to exactly how much, and exactly how often it should be used.  

A dosing syringe should be used for complete accuracy.   If anyone is not sure how to use one, a pharmacist can show you.  

Never use a medication dosing dropper or cup from another medication, they are specifically calibrated for the suspension of that medication.

As Peek mentioned, i only ever use a dosing syringe given by the pharmacy and always, always get a pediatricians  okay every time and clear, written instructions from a pharmacist.

I, too, would question a pedi quick to advise the use of benadryl for an URI or simple cold. This is not water, this is a strong medication that should be treated as such and used with caution.
I wanted to give it to my 10 month old baby for an allergic reaction but I am scared so I haven't and she is broken out ALL over.