Maternal & Child Community
Bicornuate Uterus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bicornuate Uterus

I was told after a vaginal ultra sound at 6.5 weeks pregnant, that I have a bicornuate uterus. I had some mild spotting and went in for the ultra sound. At an appointment at 8 weeks my doctor (not the one I saw at 6 weeks) ordered a ultrasound for 10 weeks to learn more about what exactly was going on with my uterus and had said he was glad they found it early so they can more closely monitor me. He said they would be able to tell then what side the baby was on. At this 10 week appointment I saw a different doctor in the practice (the first one that diagnosed me) and he had no new information for me. It was almost like there was no reason for the ultrasound at all. He said the technician had nothing for him in the chart. I actually was the one that brought up my bicornuate uterus at the appointment when it seemed he was ready to send me home without even mentioning it. He set me up to come back in four weeks at 14 weeks and said my next ultrasound will be four weeks after that at 18 weeks. Does this seem like sufficient monitoring to you all? For those of you who did have a baby with a bicornuate uterus how frequently were you monitored in your early pregnancies? I feel like this issue is being ignored as I am on a regular every four week schedule which is what they lay out for normal pregnancies. They tell me at 6 weeks I have this abnormality with only a 60% success rate and pretty much sent me on my way to worry. Any thoughts or help? Thanks so much.

Sarah
I would definately make a stink about it and talk frankely to your doctor. Or I would find a diff. doctor. I'm afraid I don't know much about you condition (WHAT IS IT?) but I think you need more monitring than you are getting. Keep us posted.
A bicornuate uterus is something you have when your uterus did not develope right. You start out with two horns that come together and the middle part goes away. (This is a very elementary understanding because that's about all I have.) For some reason in developement these two sides don't come together right and they leave you with two sides still. The stuff in the middle doesn't go away right. There are very degrees of separation of the two horns of the uterus. This is also called a heartshaped uterus. My understanding is that problems arrise because the baby can not have enough room to grow properly because the baby only has one side of your uterus to grow on. Your uterus isn't allowed to fully expand because only half of it is being used.

Sorry for the not so great or technical explanation but that's about as much as I get right now.

Thanks for posting!
Sarah
I too, just learned that I have a bicornuate uterus.  I have already had one full term pregnancy in which I did not know this.  My son was born two weeks late, actually.  No problems in delivery, but I did have a C-section because my son's head was so big (he wasn't born breech).

In my situation, my regular OB was out due to a car accident and I saw a substitue doctor, who wants me to meet with my regular doctor in two weeks for him to discuss the situation with me, so I don't know how often I will have to be monitored.

I have been doing Google searches on the internet.  I've printed out several articles and would be happy to send the URLs to you for you to investigate.  If you would like this, email me at ***@****.

Ann
Hello Sarah,
I am 31 years old and have a bicornuate uterus. This is not the same condition as heartshaped uterus!
I was pregnant one month ago. Unfortunately I had a miscarriage. Doctors detected bicornuate uterus after lost the baby at 23 weeks. I went into premature labour and following a normal labour and vaginal delivery our baby was born dead.

I copied more information for you:
It is a birth defect where the uterus does not form as it should. Instead of one whole uterus, there are usually two separate
Maki,

Thank you so much for sharing the info and your situation. I am so sorry to hear of your loss at 23 weeks. I am going to see my general practitioner in a couple days to get her opinion and see if she thinks she should refer me to a different doctor. My current OB really seems to have the attitude of "This is your first pregnancy, we don't know how this will affect you,
and there is nothing we can do." Like if I lose it it'll just be a learning experience of how my body handles this situation and next time we'll know. I don't want to go that way though. I think we are lucky that they saw so early that something was abnormal and we have the opportunity to do everything that can be done to prevent all the possible problems that can arrise because of this condition.

Thanks again
Sarah

my uterus is so bad my doctor told me she was surprised that I didn't have two cervexis. They didn't even know about my uteral problems untill they started my emergency cesarin-section. I nearly died. People need to be very careful and stay informed.
I too have a bicornuate uterus, my first daughter was born prematurely at 24 weeks because of the condition, my  uterus was unable to expand with her growth and sent the signal that it was time to go. She is a beautiful healthy 4 year old now but I would never wish that 5 months she spent in the hospital on anyone. I am now attempting a second pregnancy, but the monitering is now very intense and a little "spotting" is not normal in this case as with a regular pregnancy. One thing that is not tolerable is lack of monitering. My first pregnancy I had all kinds of problems that were brushed aside, hence the fact I then went into labor at 23 weeks. I remember being told, you couldnt possibly be in labor, go to bed and wait it out!

The biggest advice is sometimes it can work without a hitch, but  be the biggest pain in the world, should your problems go unnoticed
Last week I started spotting which I didn't think much of as it was not a lot and I know it's not that unusual to spot early on (7 weeks). Four days later just when I thought I stopped spotting I started bleeding very heavily, more so then when I had my period before. I went straight  to my doctors office where they did and internal and external ultrasound. From the amount of blood I lost I was sure I miscarried  the baby but instead I was told that I have a heart shaped uterus with the baby growing in one side and a blood clot in the other. My OB told me the blood needed to come out and things should be fine, however she said she will set me up with a high risk specialist and will be monitoring me closely to make sure the bay is developing as she should be.
I think you should definitely find a new doctor to make sure there won't be any abnormalities along the way.
Good luck!
Virag
I have a bicornuate uterus, four fellopion tubes and two cervix. When I was younger, there was a complete septum all the way down and into the vagina.....literally two small sides. That was removed when I was 17. This was all diagnosed when I was 16 because I was having two periods. I always asked my OB/GYN if I was ever going to be able to have kids. Through the years, he would say, "I don't know....first you have to try". I'm 42 now with a healthy beautiful 6 year old. I was 36 when I conceived and it was a very easy pregnancy though it was considered high risk. I was seen every 4 weeks. Let me tell you though, my condition was always in the back of my mind. I would think every day that it was going to end and that it wasn't going to work. The same OB/GYN that diagnosed me also delivered my son via C-section just before he retired. During the C-section, they had a couple of experts in the room on bicornuate uterus and afterwards, my doctor said after looking at the uterus, it was a miracle I was able to carry him full term...he never expected it because of the shape and size of it......an 8-lb baby on one side!. During my pregnancy when I would have Braxton Hicks, it would go flat on one side of my stomach and not the other. I have pictures, wish I could post them.
I was born with a bicornuate urerus and had 2 babies. A 2lb girl, and a 3lb14oz boy that died of group B-strep. Fifteen years later I found a doctor at Medical College of Ohio in Toledo his name is Dr.Wei, he did a procedure called the Strawsman procedure to correct my bicornuate uterus and it worked. I then gave birth to a 5lb 10oz boy, then a 6lb 12oz girl all healthy and doing great. Anita Wiemken @ anita_skeeter_bug***@****
There is a surgery to correct a bicornuate uterus it is calles the Strawsman procedure. I had it done at the    Medical College of Ohio, in Toled,Ohio  by Dr.Wei OB, GYN.
I had a very bicornuate uterus and discovered it before wanting to get pregnant. The proper study to see this is the HSG. I had 2 surgeries, the first one with laparoscopy, the second one just from down there. I even went to work the day after, laparoscopy is not a big deal. After the second surgery the doctor said I can forget about it and have a normal pregnancy. I still haven't tried to get pregnant, but I want to share with you that I have a normal uterus now, I hope this brings hope to you!

Hello everyone..I'm new at this stuff and don't usually talk on forums...but I have found out that I have a bicournate uterus.  I have a healthy 4 year old girl and did not even know that I had this condition at the time.  By accident I recently found out and am now 6 weeks pregnant.  I have been feeling mild period-like cramping and other than that feeling pretty good.  Anyone else have the cramping? It's not severe but just annoying....

Thanks....
I too have a bicornuate uterus. Discovered during infertility investigations. However after 3 yrs of trying we did concieve (conceive) naturally and had a 6lb 8oz baby 12 days early (vaginally but at hospital just in case). Conceived baby 2 quickly, he was born on the due date at home weiging 8lbs 8oz. Both pregnancies were problemless. Now expecting baby 3 and hopefully all will go well again.
Just wanted to let you know that it doesn't have to be a disaster and you may be able to carry a healthy baby full term without problem with a normal vaginal delivery The fact that they let me give birth at home proves that I'd think. By the way am planning another homebirth this time around.
I too have a bicornate uterus. I'm pregnant again for the 3rd time. My 1st pregnancy ended when I delivered my daughter at 28 weeks weighing 13oz (380 grams) and 10 inches long. She suffered from severe IUGR. She also had a brain and heart defect and a 2 vessel cord. She lived in the NICU for 4 montsh before passing away from her heart defect. My 2nd pregnancy I carried for 32 weeks. Again, our 2nd daughter suffered from severe IUGR again. At 32 weeks she was 2 pounds 15 ounces and 16 inches long. She had no birth defects, she was perfect. She was stillborn though. I've had every test ran in the book. The only thing that we think could be causing this is my uterus not allowing room to grow. IUGR babies are at high risk for stillbirth. I now have a new doctor who is a high risk doctor along with my MFM doctor. They are watching me much more closely this time and we are praying for a better out come this time. I'm 11w3d today and due 7/29/10.
You can read more about my story at http://hannahkathleanelliotte.blogspot.com
I have been really lucky to have found this site. I am 8 weeks + 5 days into my first pregnancy. My bicornuate uterus was picked up in a scan I had at 5weeks + 5 days when I had some light bleeding. I spent yesterday in A&E (I live in England and thats we call the ER) as I had a massive bleed with clots. I was sure that I had miscarried. When they carried out the scan they picked up the baby and a heartbeat...oh the relief!!! But the consultant said that because of the volume of blood that I had lost it meant that there is a 50/50 chance of survival...so i am just hoping and praying that everything goes ok. I fso baby is due 23/08/2010. Thank you everyone who has posted on this site...your stories have given me hope xx
Hi - I'm so thankful to have found this post. I'm 29 and currently 12w1d pregnant, and have had one previous m/c at 8 weeks. At 6 weeks with this pregnacy, I was diagnosed with a heart-shaped uterus, though they could not tell how severe the septum is. I've since been bleeding on and off - at 6w, 7w, 10w and 11w5d. The last two were very heavy bleeds. Each time, the ultrasounds have shown that the baby is growing and the heart rate is strong. Just today I went in for my 5th u/s as I've been bleeding for the past 4 days, and they said I had a pool of blood on the left side of my uterus (baby is on the right side). Said the pregnancy seemed fine, but they were usure of what was causing the bleeding, but basically my uterus was shedding it's lining on this side. Sending me for more testing this week. Has anyone else experienced this, and were you seeing a high-risk doctor? They have not told me I'm high-risk yet, but I'm wondering if I should be seeing a specialist instead of my normal OB-GYN. Thanks ladies!
Hi all - I have just been diagnosed with a bicornuate uterus, as a part of infertility tests. After 12 months of trying with no pregnancies at all, we decided to get tested as there has been a history of fertility issues in my family.
My older sister also has a bicornuate uterus. She suffered three miscarriages and an ectopic pregnancy, where one of her tubes was removed, before she had her son four years ago. After the ectopic pregnancy she was told that she probably could not have kids. During her pregnancy with her son, she had heavy bleeding continually, and cramping. She spent the final two trimestres in bed, and then delivered an 9 pound healthy baby boy by c section. The c section was planned as her son was in breech and they recommended her to not to try and move him into position, because of the dangers involved. Her c section was carried out four days before her original due date.  
They say the condition is very rare - so it's funny that 2 out of the 4 girls in my family have the abnormality.
My sister's was considered a high risk pregnancy and she had to go into hospital for check ups weekly. She also, saw a specialist, so that they could monitor her condition correctly. The fertility specialist I'm seeing at the moment has told me that once I actually get pregnant, the same will happen to me.
I just wanted to share the story, hopefully, it'll help with what you're going through.
I too have a bicornuate uterus, I was having a scan due to period problems and the radiologist found it just like that! I did not have a clue what is was and I was thinking I was abnormal lol But a year later I got pregnant naturally and because I knew about my bicornuate uterus I was given extra scans and I was under a Consultant through out my pregnancy. I carried my son (now 7yrs old) full term but he was delivered via C-section as he was Breech he was a healthy 7 and a half pounds though and he is a very healthy boy! I do not think I could go through all the worry again though I remember being worried the whole 9 months wondering if he was going to be early or whether he was going to be OK! It has been an insight reading all of these posts makes me feel like I was not alone! many thanks!
I am 31 and in the 23 week of my fourth pregnancy with a bicornuate uterus. I've known about this since my first pregnancy at 17. I was classified as a high risk pregancy and still continued to see my normal OBGYN. The only real complications that I noticed was the preterm labor. CONSTANLY! I was in the ER several times during the last few months of each pregnancy. So if you are having back pain or uncomfortable in any way don't feel like your panicking go to the ER and get checked out as 9 times out of ten I was in labor. When this is caught early on they can stop it. They were able to hold be off till 36 weeks. My second pregnancy ended me up being in the NICU due to severe bleeding. I was closing monitored for 2 weeks and sent home to deliver by C-section. He wieghed in at 8 lbs. Third Pregnancy ended in miscarriage. But now I am anxiously waiting for baby number 3. It can be done and I think everybody's situation may be different. I hope this helps.
I have bicorunate uterus,detected in 8th week scan.
I am into 14 week, on 1st day of this week,morning i started bleeding heavily,no cramps though,went to ER,doc in ER announced M/C as he saw tissue in my discharge.
To confirm same, had Ultrasound ,baby was fine,with strong heart beat movement.
ER doc consult with my ob/gyn they concluded its because other horn with no pregnancy shedding its lining,havent received pathology reports yet.Though i have not been asked to see high risk specialist.Think we faced same problem, please be in touch with any further developement.

Chicago gal18
i to have a bicornuate uterus, i found this out when i started having two periods a month when i was 15. the obgyn i went to didnt know much about the condition. at 17 i had gotten pregnat and misscarried early from being hit in the stomache so we have no clue how my conditon will have an outcome next time i get pregnat. i was finally reffered to a specailest. im now 20 years old and still dont know much on the condition. i been trying to research what you could do to increase the risks of a normally pregnacy with this condition and i havent found much. i wanted to make sure so that when im ready to have a child it will go as smoothly as possible. does anyone know what you can do to help lower the risks?
I have a bicornuate uterus and there is a wall between them..2 uterus' attached with a wall between them horned. I am going to be 37 yrs old in a couple of months and i found out i was pregnant at 3 months ..i am now almost in my 22 week....panicking..told i was high risk for cardiac arrest..and miscarriage or still born...
Hi everyone,
I found out I have a bicornuate uterus from a HSG test I had done due to infertility.  The doctor didn't give me much info about it, just said that there is high pre-term labor but that most people carry babies fine.  He wanted to focus on getting me to ovulate first.  On my first cycle of Clomid I got pregnant.  I just found out last week, today I am 5w 2d pregnant.  I go to the doctor nexr Tuesday for my 6w ultrasound.  I don't have many symptoms right now except for having to pee and the time and mild cramping.  Reading through these posts have gotten me really scared though.  The survival rates are scary.  I don't know ahat questions to ask next week.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Michelle
hi,

me too is from this group only and praying that everything goes smoothly.........this time. can anyone help me out to know what exactly bed rest means after doctors put stiches to cervix, are you allowed to visit tolilets on your own take a bath etc or that too is not allowed and nurse need to help you out and how much painful is the procedure of cervical circlage?
I too have a bicornuate uterus and am currently at 71/2w.  I have had constant cramping and spotting and twice now have had heavy bleeds that sent me to the ER.  Very freaky but with the first bleed they did an ultrasound and I got to see my baby's heartbeat.  I have another ultrasound booked at 8w and am crossing my fingers.  I guess I decided to post a note to you because I too am finding the internet to be a pretty scary place when you have a high risk pregnancy like we do.  Just remember that every woman is different.  What happens to someone else will not necessarily happen to you.  That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

stay positive!
Marnie
I too have a bicornuate uterus, or so I was told recently last week.  I had an ultrasound done at 6w 2d. And the ultrasound tech turned to me and said has anyone ever told you that you have this. I had no idea what she was talking about. This is my second pregnancy. My first pregnancy I had a lot of all day sickness, and spotted around 8 weeks for a couple of days.  I also was sent to a specialist because they thought that something was wrong with my son's heart in an ultrasound. So they did this special ultrasound on me, and no one had said anything  about my uterus. Everything was fine.  However he was born around 35 and 1/2 weeks and weighed 5lbs 12oz. He stayed in the hospital for five days, and now he is a healthy 3yr old. I was only 19 when I had my son, and I was going to college, so I got on birth control afterword. An interesting fact that I just learned from my Dr. is that if you have a bicornuate uterus then an IUD (intrauterine device) or IUC (intrauterine contraceptive) will not work effectivley. That is why I am now pregnant.  I was just wondering if anyone else has heard that?? I am just a little upset because I am in the middle of nursing school, which is physically and mentally demanding. My pregnancy is now at a higher risk because of my uterus, and at an even higher risk because they had to take out the IUD which can cause a miscarriage.  And after the Dr. took the IUD out she just said sorry in advance if anything happens.  And if everything is still fine at 12weeks i'll see you then.  I feel that there is more that can be done. She really didn't say what I can and can't do.  If any one has any suggestions for me please let me know. Thanks!
i m 32 yrs old, n having a baby of 8 yrs, whr as when i was tring for 2nd baby i got missed abortion, after that i went through so many ultrasounds, for folliculler monitoring, but no body found anything, this time doc asked me to go for HSG to find out that my tubes are fine or blocked, they found that thr is something wrong with my uterus, that can be a septate or bicornuate uterus, or something else they are not sure.

Now doc want me to go for laproscopy, i m finding it little strange as my first baby was normal n healthy deleivery at 41 week n as they are finding nothing in ultrasound.

pls. help me should i go for laproscopy or wait, i m confused whr as it is very costly too...
Just to update you...I posted on this thread back in Jan 2010...I have a bicornate uterus and just wanted to let you know that I have given birth to a perfectly healthy baby boy by c-section on 13 Aug 2010 at 38wk5 weighing 8lb 8oz...he was breech, hence the c-section...this was inspite of all the trauma I had at the start of my pregnancy, wanted to let you know it can be done :)
Can anyone tell me more about the Strawsman procedure to "fix" a bicornuate uterus? Does it work - what was your preganancy outcome after it?

Thanks!
I am 27 years old and have a bicornuate bicervical uterus.  I also have 2 healthy daughters and I am currently 31 week pregnant with my son.  Due to this malformation, I have had 3 very different pregnancy experiences.  With all three pregnancies, I experienced continual bleeding for at least the first 8 weeks.  My doctor said this was due to the unpregnant uterus not quite catching up with the pregnant uterus and it was still shedding its lining and producing an egg.  In short I was still menstrating while pregnant and advised with all thre pregnancies to use protection to avoide a second pregnancy in the opposite horn.
    My first pregnancy was breech and in the right "horn".  At about 30 weeks I informed my doctor that she was not turning upside down and seemed to stay in the same position.  At 36 weeks my water broke and I had an emergency c section where my condition was diagnosed.  
  My second pregnancy, also in the right "horn" was a VBAC.  She was posiitioned head down from about 24 weeks on.  She was born a healthy 6 pounds at 38 weeks.
  My third and current pregnancy has been quite interesting and different alltogether.  He is implanted in my left horn (which my doctor says is like being pregnant for the first time) and has managed to "break the septum and get his feet and legs caught in the right horn.  So he is stuck in a transverse position.  The doctors say they have never seen this happen, as he is able to move up and down both complete horns of my uterus.  Through this he has managed to form normally.  We are just on watch now as his positioning has put me at super high risk for preterm labor.
   I feel very blessed that I have made it this far and have very healthy children.  The only "problem" is that both of my daughters are in the 5th percentile for height due to growth restrictions during the pregnancy, but you would never notice.  THey are just petite.  As for myself, this malformation has caused personal issues such as intense pain.
   So although the chances are increased for pregnancy complications with this type of uterus, know that there are also great percentages of women that carry full term healthy babies.  I hope this eases some minds and GOd Bless!
Hi i was googling about this condition and i came across your post. I have a bicornuate uterus, it was discovered when i was 6 weeks and went in to the ER for bleeding. I am now 23 weeks and I have not had any where near a normal pregnancy. I seen you menitioned back pain and cramping, is this something you went through? Just wondering because there has been several occassions where I get the worst pain i have ever felt and it is all on one side of my back. Ive been to the ER 3 times for this pain and it seems as further along i get the worst and longing lasting the pain comes.A nurse did tell me it was impossible for it to be contractions due to the pain being in my back and only on one side,my right. Its not a constant pain, it happens and it starts slow and will reach a point where the pain is so severe i can not even move,i am in tears and my body becomes clamy. I also feel a constant cramp like feeling whenever i am walking or on my feet.  Ive been put on bedrest by my ob for preterm labor but i feel everytime i go into the hospital or my dr office they dont believe how bad the pain really is. All they do is send me home.I just wanted to know if anyone else with the same condition goes through anything similar and what the outcome was?
Hello Bina24,
I suppossedly have a bicornuate uterus and two cervixes. Since the very begining of my pregnancy I have also been having menstral like cramps. I have been seeing a licensed midwife and she has told me that these cramps are normal for any pregnant woman. Apparently it is just due to the stretching and pulling of muscles and ligaments which hold the uterus in place. As the pregnancy grows everything stretches and there can be some cramping. For me they come and go but seem to show up most every for weeks when there has been another growth spurt. I am now 18 weeks. Otherwise, like you, I have been feeling perfectly fine and am in good health. They are not severe, like you said, just annoying. Best of wishes to you all.
-Laura5565
Hey Everyone! I am new to this site and thought it would be nice to talk to someone that understands what I am going through right now. I have a 8 year old son and found out the day of my emergency C section that I had a bicornuate Uterus. I did go into preterm labor with him which they were able to stop and I ended up having him at 36 weeks. He was a beautiful 6lb 12 oz baby boy. It took awhile for my husband and I to get pregnant again. we tried for alittle over 3 years and now I am pregnant with my second child. At the moment I am 19 weeks. I started bleeding a week ago and it has gotten heavier and the pain is nearly impossilbe to deal with at some points. I have went to the hospital a few times with this in the last week and they say that there is nothing that can be done for me. My doctor has me on bed rest and next week I am going to see a specialist to see if anything can be done. It all scares me right now because my doctor told me that I am considered high risk of a miscarriage and if it happens there is nothing that can be done about it. Each day it seems the pain and bleeding is worse, but my baby girls heart beat still stays strong. So hopefully it will stay that way.
I am sorry. I forgot to add that I had a question. With my Son I had 2 amniotic sacks and with my second one I don't have enough amniotic fluid. I am assuming that this has something to do with my uterus and the problems we are having at the moment. I have been told by a few friends to drink alot of fluids and that would help. Does anyone know if this actually helps? I haven't gotten the chance to talk to my doctor about this yet. thank you
I have bicornuate uterus I have had one successful birth although he was born 10 weeks early he is very healthy 2 and a half years ago i lost my seccond son at 26 weeks along due to a placenta abrubtion which the doctors said had nothing to do with my uterus. I am pregnant again and am 9 weeks along so far going great. The doctor I have now has already made plans to make it easier for me through this pregnancy. I see him about every 3 weeks at this point. And he is putting me on automatic bed rest at five months to try to prevent anything from happening to me at which point i will have to also get a hormone shot once a week until the baby is born. I will still go early but the hormone shots will develop the lubgs at a quicker rate so the baby will be healthy when he or she is born. With this birth defect you need to be monitored carefully if you have a doctor who does not know this get a different one. Having this is uterus is not only dangerous to the baby but it is to you as well. Never be scared to call your doctor if you feel something isn't right. They don't mind and have no problems making you feel better. If they do mind then you don't have the right doctor. Take care ladies.
Late last year for the first time since I had started getting my period I tried to use a tampon. When I was younger I was naive, didn't know anything about the 'normal' anatomy of female genitalia or reproductive system so when it came to insert a tampon I was thinking "What hole do I put it in?"

I rang my mum and told her that I thought I had two vaginas and so we made an appointment to see my endocrinologist as I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and she said to me "Are you sure you weren't trying to put it in your urethra?!?" Honestly how stupid can one person get?? I was really angry so I booked an appointment with a gynaecologist because I had a suspicion that I had a bicornuate uterus. She did a small examination and confirmed that I definitely had two small vaginal openings!

I had an MRI just over a week ago and received results yesterday that I have two completely separate reproductive systems.... two uteri, two cervixes, two vaginas! I also found out I have Endometriosis on top of all of this and am scheduled to have surgery in 3 months to remove what is described as a "longitudinal vaginal septum." I am eighteen years old and my whole life I thought that what my genitalia looked like was normal!! And now I have found out all of this stuff and I have to admit it's a little overwhelming!!! I have always wanted to be a mother and with today's technology and just my faith in God I am just praying for everything to be okay!!!

I hope that whoever else is going through this that you will find this information relatable and helpful!! I believe that God has everything under control and yeah, it is extremely scary - I don't deny that, but unlike most of the rest of the people commenting, I am a long way from pregnancy...
God Bless x
hi my name is maria i have a biconuate uterus i found out when i had my second child my first child was natural birth my second was when i found out about my condition in the  er i went because i was bleeding my second child was c-section because she was breech and was born with many birth defects physical not mental i've had 4 children 3 of them c-sections and 1 miscarrige god has blessed me so much i thank him everyday.
The procedure to fix a bicornuate uterus is pretty simple. I had been referred to a specialist that told me a bicornuate uterus just means that you have extra tissue down the middle of your uterus. The severity of your septum may only have tissue partway down the middle of the uterus or it may completely separate your uterus into two halves. The extra tissue (septum) may be corrected through a quick procedure where the doctor simply makes a small cut that removes the extra tissue at the top of the uterus where it is connected. when it heals your uterus will look normal and be shaped correctly. many times, with a bicornuate uterus, a miscarriage will occure because the implantation occurs on a spot in the uterus where there isnt enough nutrients in the tissue. This will be early miscarriages. I have had three miscarriages before six weeks. I didn't have a chance to have the surgery to correct my bicornuate uterus because my husband is in the military and we were stationed in a new location. by the time we moved I was already 10 weeks pregnant again. This time around I have been able to hear the heart beat and see our baby 5 times. I was in the hospital once because of bleeding and they diagnosed me with a threatened miscarriage. However, Ive had no more bleeding or cramping thus far and have also had another ultrasound done since then. I am now 12 weeks. at the last ultrasound the doctor told me that she thinks the baby will be fine because we were able to see the baby doing flips and move around on both sides of the septum. I also have whats called a subchorionic hemorrhage with this pregnancy. the doctors dont seem to be too concerned with that issue and tell me that it is pretty common (about 30 percent of all pregnancies have this).
But the good news is that a bicornuate uterus can be fixes fairly easily. Another good thing is that it is only the inside of the uterus that is shaped wrong. if it were arcuate uterus it would be the entire outside of the uterus that is shaped like a heart. this condition is not something doctors can fix at all.
Hope this information helps
I HAVE A BICORNUATE UTERUS AND PREGNANT WITH MY 3RD BABY. I DID NOT HAVE ANY COMPLICATIONS UNTIL I WAS PREGNANT WITH MY 2ND BABY I LOST HIS TWIN AT 3 MONTH GESTATION. I WAS WONDERING THOUGH BECAUSE I HAVE REGULAR PERIODS OF 28 DAYS LIKE CLOCK WORK BUT WONDERING IF I HAVE NORMAL PERIODS, DO I OVULATE NORMAL? DOES ANYONE KNOW?
Hii all.I am in my first pregnancy and  just been diagnosed with a bicornaute uterus  after i started bleeding at week 11. Am so scared and just pray everythings going to be fine. I was put on two weeks bed rest with drugs and a very costly ijection to expand the uterus.I visited my gyno after the two weeks and now been put on drugs for a whole month, and no travelling. I however have a problem sleeping as everytime i shift positions theres pain on either ends.Anyone experienced this?
Jullie,Kenya
I too have a bicornuate uterus.. and right now, I'm terrified..
I'm pregnant again, and I had first been pregnant Dec 2010, which unfortunately ended in February 2011.. My doctoc told me it would be best to have an abortion yet I shudder at the word.. In 3 months, I had been in and out of the ER 5 times and in the span of 1 month went from 176lbs to 153lbs.. I got very sick.. It was an explosion of morning sickness to the point I could not eat or drink at all and felt so weak I could not leave my bed.
Right now I am 2 weeks late, give or take, and have taken 2 pregnancy tests, one last Tuesday, and one today, that both showed positive.
I have no job, no bank account, no insurance, no family.. and my husband is 18 with a part time job he just started yesterday and we live in his ex-brother-in-laws house.
I don't know what to do..
If anyone can help me at all.. please... I'm begging someone who knows what to do to help me and maybe e-mail me at
***@****
thank-you for your good news it brought happy tears to my eyes. I too, have a bicornated uterus and I have had 2 early miscarriages. I am 7 weeks pregnant now and have seen heartbeat. I've been having a little bit of brown bleeding. I'm trying to be positive and reading your comments gave me something to focus on. Thank-you  
My sister has a bicornuate uterus and went into premature labour at 24 weeks. Sadly my little nephew died, he was born alive and the doctors did what they could but he was too small to make it. This was her first child.
A second pregnancy is of course terrifying and can possibly involve bed rest for a large part of the pregnancy. Those of you that have been through this, do you have any ideas on how I can help her once she conceives again? Is there anything your families did for you that helped or is there anything you wished people would have done?
Feeling lost and don't know what to do :(
hello mam. i have a bicournate uterus. pid report- in vagina left side bulge size cricket size ball. cervix very high up at right side. collection in right side horn . periods regular. but right side ok and left side dark choclate color blood dicharge at the time of bleeding. right tube present and left absent. right kidney present but left absent. problem in conceiving, laprotomy , laproscopy and hystoscopy done. finding above. aome time severe pain in left side because of bulge. two time discharge by needle from doctor. hystoscopy and laproscopy done by M. Kocher ganaga ram hospital befor 1.5 yr. and labrotomy before 9 yrs . unmarried by pgi rohtak. only pus drain frm left side. pcr positive . att taken. rest of ttest normal. plz suggest me for pregnency : surgery removal of one horn or any other way or ivf.non communicating bicournate uterus with single cervix.

Read more at: http://****.ndtv.com/Faq_Add/ndtv/Ask_A_Question.html?cp
Well I'm 40 I have a 3 yr old.. And been trying to get pregnant for 2 months .. Had a period last month and one this month... Weird though they are usually 7 days... But this week.. I have felt extreme pressure I guess my uterus down below ... Thank good ness I have an appmnt with my ob this week.. The pain really hurts.... I'm like ok is is just weight or am I carrying a little person... I been reading these post so who knows whata wrong with me and my lower back is killing me and can't sleep on belly it's very uncomfortable.. Time will tell but it was nice to read these post I really want a 2nd child but am I being selfish because of my age ??