Maternal & Child Community
Bicornuate uterus and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bicornuate uterus and pregnancy

I am 26 years old and was diagnosed with a bicornuate uterus about two months ago after having an ultrasound by my high risk OBGYN.  I have an almost complete split, but he said to go home, not think about it, make love to my husband, try to get prenant and we'll cross that bridge when we got there.  Well, of course as a woman who has wanted children her whole life, it's a little disheartening news. It was really hard at first, but all the positive comments on this website have really helped me understand that I am not alone and I CAN and WILL get pregnant eventually.  I guess my question is this: How do you know when you become pregnant?  I have heard that a lot of women with BU still have cramps and bleeding (basically a period) althought they are pregnant.  My doctor said that when one side is pregnant, the other may still continue to have a period. Aybody know anything about this? Thank all of you for sharing all of your stories.  It has really helped me!!!
Brittany
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Goodluck, with everything:D keep your chin up!!
Sorry thats all i can say, i don't know much about what you are asking
It is hard to deal with this situation. I was first diagnosed with PCO,was put on pills to regulate my periods and when we decided to have a baby, and after trying for 1yr, found out I have a split uterus. I got pg on Clomid but was in my left tube very close to ovary, unfortunately Dr had to remove the embryo and the tube as it had burst and bleeding won't stop. They found out that I have 2 completely seperated uterus and 2 cervix. The left one opens and has the cervix in the vagina but the right has a false opening along the lining of the vagina. So for me to get pg, I have to have IVF. I will never have a period unless miraculasly to balance the body the right cervix opens up.

After all this I still have not lost hope. I know that one day I will get pg and will need help and keep faith in God.

Do not loose hope, it will a rough road but it will happen one day. Take care.
It really is nice to know that there are other women going through the same thing.  It really lifts my spirits that we can talk with each other. I'm lucky that I know going into it, so I will be fully prepared for possible loss.  I have a wonderful husband who has wiped my tears and been my rock!  I want babies more than anything and know that God will give me one. It's just really scary.  I know though that when I do have children, how much of a blessing they will be and how thankful I will be for them.  That in itself, makes it exciting to start trying.  And of course, my husband doesn't mind the constant trying either!!! HAHA. We're just a little hesitant right now to start.  I'm still on the patch.  We are mentally preparing ourselves first,I think.  We're talking January!!  Thanks again for everything!!
I also have a bc uterus and have suffered 2 losses.  I am currently 33+ weeks and everything appears to be going well.  The first time, I made it to 16 weeks and then my water broke.  They figure it could be because the implantation occurred on the right side and that side was the smaller side and couldn't stretch to accomodate the baby to term.  This time implantation occurred on the left side and everything has ok to date.  I did have bleeding in the first tri. with both, but it cleared up.  This is not to bring you down, but to encourage that you can and will get pg.  I'll be thinking of you.
Andrea
I too have a bicorneute uterus.  You question comes at an interesting time too.  I am 12 weeks 1 day and on Monday I started having bleeding, I was out of town at a conference too.  I went to the ER and they sent me home, the bleeding got worse so I went back.  I finally got to see an Ultrasound Technician (bless that woman!)  And she was able to see that my "unpregnant" side was indeed shedding its lining and that the baby side had a very active fetus (YAY!).  This is my second pregnancy and I never had any bleeding through out the first (my son is 4).  This baby is on the other side than my son was though.  I knew I was pregnant about a week before AF came because I was SUPER tired and my girls were REALLY sore.  but every woman is different!  I had a positive test the day before AF was supposed to come.  Plus I got pregnant 2 weeks after I got off the pill.

Hope this helps!
I love to hear when women have bc uterus and tell me they have 2,3, 0r 4 healthy children.  It definetly lifts my spirits. I have been on some type of birth control for about 10 years and have been on the patch for about 3.  My doctor said it could take up to three months for the birth control to get out of your system until you can become pregnant.  But, I know people who got pg right away. You never know.  I hope I'm one of those.  In all of the news and crying, I have found that now I have a really positive attitude about it.  It may be a challenge, but that almost makes it more exciting.  We're gonna have lots of babies!! No matter what! Has anybody with bc uterus ever gone to full term without problems on their first try?
Thank ya'll for everything.  You have no idea how much your words mean to me!!
Okay, I have to ask because I'm kind of lost on all the abbrev.  What does AF stand for?
My wife and I were diagnosed with "probable" bicornuate uterus yesterday.  Tomorrow we will be 18 weeks pregnant with triplets!  The specialist advised "selective reduction" and we only have 10 days to decide.  Personally, we don't think there is a decision to be made.  Has anyone else successfully delivered triplets with BU?
My thoughts and prayers are with you guys! I'm new at all of this too, so I'm sorry to say I can't be much help.  But I'm sure there are some ladies that may have had experiences with this.  Are they all in the same horn?
It seems on ultrasound that one girl is on each side and the boy is in the middle.  She hasn't had the first problem with the triplets, not nearly the trouble she had with our 21 month old son.  In July, she got through both viral meningitis and salmonellosis with absolutely no harm to the babies.  They are developing perfectly and each is the size at 18 weeks that a singleton would be.  We decided against SR and are taking it one day at a time!
I'll be thinking about ya'll!  I really hope everything works out!
Hi everyone I am new to the site. I was concerned about having kids when I read the comments but now I feel o.k. Ido have a bu Is it anything to be worried about I am 24 years old and just found out last year. I was 3 months pregnant and had to have an abortion. The pains was so bad and the doctors said I have cyst on my ovaries. So either risk loosing my baby at 5 months or terminate early. I went on ahead with the terminations the pains were unbareble and the bleeding was crazy. But I'll try again soon should I be worried. What are my risks??????? I would love to know exactly what can improve my chances of a healthy baby .
Hi I'm 37 and also have a bicorneal uterus. This month I have had all the symptoms of pregnancy fatigue, nausea, sore breasts. I am due for AF on the 8/29/2005. Took an 5 day early ept and it came back negative. I spent all day Friday crying because AF started but it only was heavy for 1 day and spotting Saturday and Today some of the spotting looks like old blood. I still have a weird pressure feeing in my uterus. I never heard that the non-pregnant side still sheds its lining. I try not to get my hopes up I have had 3 miscarriages in the past 3 years. Although hope for other women with bicorneal uterus my sister has a bicorneal also and she has 2 beautiful daughters and never had a miscarriage.
Go to this web-site.  A gal there by the name of Kay has this type of uterus.  She had two beautiful babies although her pregnancies were wild ones with bleeding, ect...  There is hope for that desired baby.

I wish you well!

http://www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com/community
Thanks lovinmom Your site suggestion was extremely helpful. Makes me wonder about all the D&C's I've had. Dr's seem to think the worst at my age (even though I don't feel old LOL) when your pregnant and have a uterine issue.
Hi Everyone.  I am 36 and pregnant with my third child.  I have two beautiful girls and am pregnant with a boy (23 weeks).  My two girls were 8lbs10oz and 9lbs 2oz.  They were both in the right horn.  This pregnancy is in my left horn.  I had an appt. with an  internal fetal medicine specialist 2 weeks ago and he said I beat all the odds (full term and big babies).  I was overdue with my first by a week and the second was overdue by 3 days.  I had c-sections with both.  He said everything looks great this time.  The baby is very active and he is already pushing up to my ribs (he is breech).  I am hopeful that I will have a full term pregnancy.  Just wanted to let you know that you can have healthy babies with a biconuate uterus.
My wife and I just had our 1st child 4 days ago.  We were induced at 37 weeks due to her high blood pressure and lack of significant 3rd trimester growth.  It was diagnosed as fetal hypertension and possible preclamsia.  After a speedy delivery (dialtion from 0-10 cm in about 10 minutes as soon as her water broke, and birth in only 3 good pushes), our son was born.  Afterward, the plancenta would not detach.  The doctors tried to remove it manually (wich was more painful than birth) but ended up doing a D&C.  That's when they discovered that she had a partial BC, forming a "heart shape" in her uterus.  Our "Gerber baby" beautiful son was born at only 4 lbs 8 oz, but luckily is very healthy.  He only spent 4 hours in NICU under observation, and everything functions just like a normal sized baby.  He just did not have any more room to grow in only 1/2 of a uterus.  My wife is 39, and not one doctor has ever diagnosed this until now, even after a tubal pregnancy, multiple scopes for endometriosis, and several high risk pregnancy ultrasounds.  Looking back, we now understand why we could only feel him on the right side the entire pregnancy.  My son is the greatest thing that has ever happened to us.  Someday we would like a daughter, but we'll have to see how things go before we try again.  We were lucky that we had so few problems, but it could have been very dangerous for both wife and son.  For those who are struggling, I hope for the best for you.  At least you know and can take necessary measures.
Thank you for the inspiring story.  It really helps.  I have had a scope for endometriosis and then a D&C for it and was never diagnosed either.  I was diagnosed about 3 months ago.  The D&C was about 5 years ago.  I always wondered why the doctor that performed it never knew or never told me.  Mabe he didn't know.  I guess.  Glad to hear your son and wife are doing well.  I hope ya'll have that daughter one day soon!!
I have a bicornuate uterus.  The OBGYN did 5 ultrasounds and in everyone she did not find that I had BU until I had a c-section.  Then when I went into the recovery room she told me and described to me what it was.  She was shocked that I didn't have any complications, like bleeding during pregnancy, leakage, or early labor, but the only thing that happened is that my baby was breech (no big deal).  I just thought that I had a stuburn baby when they told me to do these exercises to get her to turn around.  They were even talking about and had a scheduled day to try and turn her into the normal position (ouch), but I'm glad she decided to be a week early.  And to whomever has a bicornuate uterus and pregnant, I want to wish you the best of luck in having a healthy baby like I did and Congrats.
Oh, how wonderful!  Do you know how far your split was?
Hey! Im only 18 and found out 5 days ago that im pregnant. Im so excited about it because my doctor told me i there was a good chance that i could not get pregnant because i have 2 uterus and 2 cervix but both of my uterus are small. Tomorrow is my first doctors appointment and i was just wondering if there is anyone out there with a case like mine and if you were able to get pregnant and have a healthy baby. Everyone is telling me that i wont be able to carry the baby long and most likly have a miscarriage so im just hoping for the best..
Thanks for the help
I am 30yr old and have had 4 pregnancies.  I have one child that made it.  I have a complete bicornute uterus, I was diagnosed when I was pregnant with my first child, in that pregnancy I started spoting at 10 weeks and was told I would miscarry, thankfully the pregnancy continued normally until 30 wks when I had an abruption of the placenta.  I was hospitalized and put on bed rest and my son was born at 35 wks, he weighed a little over 5lbs and was in nicu for about one week.  I found out I was pregnant with my second child on Thanksgiving, I went to the emergancy room with abdonminal cramping (I thought it was food poisioning).  when they asked when my last period was I told them I had just started the day before, well needless to say it wasnt food poisioning and the bleeding was not a period.  I was approx. 9 weeks at this point.  I bled and had constant cramping until New Years Eve when I passed a large (football size) tissue clot.  I did not have another pregnancy for 8 yrs.  I discovered by 3rd pregnancy at about 5 wks, I was nervous because I was spotting and got to a specialist right away.  I had a sudden increase in the bleeding at 10 wks and went to the emergancy room, I was told I was likley having another miscarrige and needed to have a ultrasound to determine if there was still a baby.  Well, not only was there still a baby there were two!  I had one in each horn.  We were extatic.  The doctors were not, they told me this was a very risky pregancy.  I had several instances of breakthrough bleeding in the pregancy, and a lot of pain in the legs and uturine area, it was not like cramp but more of a very heavy pressure feeling, just like when in labor you feel like you NEED to push.  The leg pain centered mostly on the left side, the doctor kept telling me leg pain was not associated with pregnancy. I also had strong sharp ripping pains in my abdomen that I had when I had the abruption with my first child. I went into premature labor at 23 weeks and it could not be stopped, the doctors said c-section was the only option for any hope of saving the twins, they were born on January 16th at 2:20pm.  They were two beautiful boys that stayed with me for less than 24 hours.  The pain they endured in their short time is unimaginable to me.  The doctors all said it was because of the bicornute uterus and twins....they told me we could try again in three months and that now my uterus had carried two babies for so long one would not be any problem.  They said I had an abruption of the placenta on both sides of the uterus and that was the problem just like my first child.   We got pregnant 9 mths later, this pregancy was just like all the others, the bleeding the cramping, ripping pain  and leg pain, I had a marked increase in pressure in my vaginal area, I felt like "the bottom was falling out".  at 17 wks after being in the hospital of and on for 3 weeks I went into labor once again, I got out of the hosptial bed to go to the restroom and when I went to sit on the stool I felt a sudden stong pressure and something coming out, I could see some kind of matter that looked solid come out and them a lot of liquid, I was convinced the baby had fallen in the toilet and was screaming and sticking my hand in to get it out. (hysteria I am sure).  They quickly got me in the bed and ordered an ultra sound, they put in the heart moniter and found the baby's heartbeat, when the ultra sound was done I could see there was no fluid and they told me my abdominal sack had "hourglassed" and there was nothing they could do, another little boy was stillborn at 9:30am on January 20th. 1yr and 4 days after his brothers.  Needless to say the doctors had no awnsers at this point and for the last 3 years I have searched and been tested for every and anything.  Nothing has been found, they think now that I have also an incompitant cervix.  Boy am I lucky! The bleeding throughout and pain in the legs (mostly on the left) is another mystery they can not explain.  They say I can try agin, get a cerglage at 10 wks, get progesterone shots, have my hcg testes weekly, do heperin shots, stay on bed rest, tie my legs to the ceiling...all to get to the mecca of 30 weeks if we are lucky.  I am terrified, since the last loss I have had a lot of irregualr periods, heavy bleeding and I start spotting and light bleeding aprox 2 weeks before a very heavy and painful period.  They cant explain that either.  I  apoligize for this extremley long post but I desperate for anyone who has had any simular experiance.  I dont want to scare or upset anyone and remind you if I have that I do have a 11yr old that is healty and beautiful....so I know it can happen, I am just looking for hope and awnsers.
HI I AM VERY INTERESTED IN YOUR TOPIC AS i AM 5 WEEKS PREGNANT AND HAVE HAD PAIN IN ONE SIDE AND AND BLEEDING TODAY I HAD AN ULTRASOUND THAT REVEALED I HAVE A BICORNATE UTERUS BUT IN MY RIGHT SIDE I HAVE A GESTATIONAL SAC, I HAVE A 2 YEAR DAUGHTER THAT I HAD WITH NO BLEEDING THROUGH THE WHOLE PREGNANCY BUT BEFORE FALLING PREGNANT WITH HER I HAD THREE MISSCARIAGES,
I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY NEVER PICKED THIS UP BEFORE, BUT ANYTHING YOU HAVE FOUND OUT ABOUT THIS I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR AS I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT AT ALL,
THANKS ***@****
I'm new to this site,I'm 23 weeks pregnant and I have a BC uterus. I have a son that was born at 30 weeks and he's now 3. I've had 3 miscarriages in the past year, and thankfully this pregnancy has been relatively easy, although I also have a protein C deficiency and had to have Heperain shots the first trimester. Today I found out that I may have to be on bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy, which was a little disheartening, I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. Thanks
I am 34 yrs old and was diagnosed with BC 3 years ago during my c-section. I was originally told 8 years ago with my first c-section that I had fibroid tumors which was a false diagnosis. My first pregnancy was a miscarriage at 11 weeks probably due to the BC now that I am aware of the problem. I never really understood what my condition meant until reading your postings. Recently i have been feeling as if I were pregnant again but had a "heavy" period last month. My husband and I have completely opposite work schedules so I am 100% positive that we did not do the deed this past month. Is it possible to be pregnant from the month prior and still have a period due to the BC. During my other two pregancies in which I gave birth I never experienced any bleeding so if I am pregant, this would not be characterisitc of my usual. If anyone has anything that might help plase post. Thank you.
I too have been diagnosed with a bicornuate uterus.  Several ultrasounds, a preterm birth, a D&C still did not find it.  It wasn’t until my miscarriage at 7 weeks that anybody saw it.  Previously, I had gone into preterm labor at 22 weeks and only had my son with me for a ½ hour because he was so preterm.  No one could figure out what had happened.  I was recently told that surgery might be able to correct the abnormality.  That was until I had an HSG.  Now they are telling me it is so extreme that they think surgery is out.  Has anyone here had surgery to correct a BU?  Is anyone here dealing with an extreme, or as the radiologist put it – severe case of BU?  Did your Drs. say a pregnancy with BU could be dangerous to the mother?  I have so many questions and it seems the doctors are always waiting for another opinion before they tell me anything.
Thanks.      
I was just wondering but i have all the symptoms of being pregnant from the swollen breast that are getting bigger and hurt real bad to the head aches and fatigue and tiredness.. anyways im not sure if i have the bicornuate uterus or not but back in january i went to the planned parenthood here and they ran a pregnancy test on me cuz i was there for a pap. and they told me i wasnt pregnant but 3 weeks later i ended up missing carrying. i bled for 10 days real heavy.. anyways i went back to the same place a week ago and after taking a pregnancy test here at home.. they both came out negative.. i was just wondering if anyone has had a false positive pregnancy test? i seriously do think im pregnant.
Hello Everyone, I am 25 years old.  I am 10 weeks preg. and just found out that I have a bicornuate uterus.  I have been reading everyone's comments and hopefully I can answere some of your questions as well as hoping some of you can answere mine.  Throughout my life I have always had regular periods.  I didn't have any confusion of weather or not I was pregnant.  I told myself if I was 4 days late, then I would take a test.  Although I had all of the simptoms of starting my period, I took a test anyway because I heard some women, like my sister, carry the same simptoms of starting your period and being pregnant.  A couple of weeks after I found out I was pregnant, I started spotting.  And a few days after that, I had a heavy bleed.  I went to the E.R. and was sure I misscarried.  To everyone's surprise, I still had a viable fetus with a normal heartbeat.  Throughout my bleeding process, my Doctor has been checking my hormone levels to make sure they are going up, rather than down which indicates miscarring.  Well my Doctor told me that my hormones were going down and luckily I had an ultrasound scheduled the next day.  I was prepared to hear that my fetus was dead, but once again, they told me I have a viable fetus with a normal heartbeat.  However, the ultrasoundist who was great by the way, discovered my uterus split.  I didn't know what that meant until my doctor called me to explain.  I was put on pogesterone to increase my hormone levels and to stop the bleeding.  Also, my doctor is puting me on high risk in my next trimester because I guess that is when it is worse and the baby isn't going to have enough room to grow.  I have been doing research on B.U. eversince I found out what I have.  I found that I only have a 60% chance of having this baby.  My question is, is there any women out there who has successfuly given birth to a baby there first pregnancy with a B.U.  I have been really positive about this whole experience, but after reading some of the comments written, my hope has deminished.  Somebody please tell me I have a chance of having this baby.  Thank You.                         Monica(Berry1480)
Monica,
  My sister had a "text book case" of a bicornate uterus.  She would always have SEVERE menstral cramps every month.  Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that she's just given birth to her THIRD child a few weeks ago!  She's had to have C-sections for all three, as the small size of the room in her uterus wouldn't allow the baby to rotate and come head-first, but rather the babies have always had to grow and lay sideways in her womb.  She had spotting early with all three, but other than that, the BU didn't present any problems.  During her last C-section, the doctor called all the residents/students in to see her uterus, so that they'd see what a BU looked like, and that a full term pregnancy is entirely possible!
Good luck to you!
cherie
P.S.  Forgot to mention in my previous post that my sister's BU is an over 50% split- a deep heart shape.  Since it wasn't a complete split, she didn't need surgery, although the doctors were surprised that she had such LARGE babies-- all three over 8 lbs... they used up every available inch of her uterus!
Hi! I have a question: has anyone of you had a large blood clot and cervix opening while being pregnant and having bicornuate uterus?
Thanks!
Hello everyone,

I have an appt. tomorrow at 9:15am and is now 3:33am.  Needless to say I am a little nervous.  I had a D&C approx. 5 years ago and was somewhat told by my OB-GYN I had a BU.  At the time he put it so nicely, "you have a heart shaped uterus, the only problem it may cause is a preterm pregnancy".  Now we have been trying to get pregnant for the past year and a half with no success.  I never had a hysterosalpigiogram done until 10 days ago.  This is when they, by means of catherer, inject a clear thick liquid into your uterus to determine by x-ray the shape of your uterus.  Well, the catherer could only go into one side, and if that was not enough, my tube was blocked on that side.  The procedure was somewhat painful with that terrible craping feeling.  I have always been strong about all this, having this possitive emotions, but it seems to be coming to an end for me.  I am at the point of really breaking down. Has anyone had a corrective surgery of a fallopian tube and the BU at the same time.  Is that even possible?  I really need some possitive feedback right about now.  At this point I have no clue on what the fertility Doc. will suggest tomorrow.  I am so glad I found this site.  Best of luck to all.
Hello Trixxie!
Sorry to hear about your problems. I also had hysterosalpingogram done but mine wasn't so painful as yours.
I will see the BC specialist next month, so unfortunately I can't answer your questions now. I just want to wish you GOOD LUCK for tomorrow/today(?) and please let us know what the fertility doctor suggested...
I know it's easier said than done BUT try to be positive! GOOD LUCK!!!!
I am 3 days from being in my 12th week with my first and have been diagnosed with a BC uterus.  I am in need of hearing happy endings from women who had heavy bleeding and clots during their pregnancy.  I started spotting at 6 weeks and at 10 weeks started passing large clots with heavy bleeding.  I have had four US since the bleeding started and each time the doctor is surprised to see that my baby has a strong heatbeat and is growing strong and remains very active.  I am praying everyday and having faith that I will be able to have a happy ending.  The nurse assured me that this baby is a fighter and that if there was a problem with the baby then we would not be seeing all the activity and growth.  I am wondering if the bleeding could be due to the BC uterus????
Hi!
I know you asked about some positive feedback and I wish I could give you one. Unfortunately, three weeks ago, I lost MY BABY ...(I was 11 weeks 5 days pregnant).
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to scare you. I just want to make sure you you'll watch every little change in your body VERY CAREFULY and won't let ...
Your pregnancy and mine were very silillar for those three months. I also have a BC uterus, I had spotting and bleeding a few times during my pregnancy and every week I had to go for my US (exept I had two clots in my uterus around MY BABY and the placenta area and later my cervix started to open).

Every week my perinatal specialist confirmed that my BABY was PERFECT, very strong and active  with a normal heartbeat.
As I mentioned before, my bledings weren't so heavy as yours, exept for the last one which I had the night before my miscarriage. One week before that day, after my US exam, the doctor told me there was a change in my cervix which started to open(it used to be close before). He wanted to wait till to the  next week with cervical carcelage. For the whole week I felt a little diffrent than before BUT I thought it was because my uterus was getting bigger( and I had a strange itching feeling in my abdomen area). A day before my miscarrage (miscarriage), in the evning I had to go tho the ER because I was in pain, I had cramps (with pressure feeling) and a heavy bleed. At the hospital I had US done ( BTW, the person who was doing the US while doing that was talking on the phone!! BUT I didn't say a word because I was so relieved hearing my BABY's heartbeat!). He told me I still had a viable BABY with a normal heartbeat (166). The ER doctor checked my uterus and said my bleeding was very minimal(??!!), THE BABY was in the right place and he sent me home (he didn't give me ANY MEDICINE to stop cramps, bleeding, didn't check my hormon levels, didn't say a word about my cervix or those two clots!! NOTHING!!). During the night, I felt a few strong cramps and next morning, while lying in my bed, I felt like SOMETHING was detaching from my uterus...

Last Monday I saw my OB doctor and as I found out there was NOTHING wrong with MY BABY, all results from pathology department look good, miscarrages like mine happen very often in that stage( I hate when they say that!!) and since I "had ONLY one miscarrage (miscarriage)" I shouldn't be worry "that" much about it(!?!). I wanted to find out more details about those clots (she agreed with me that most likely because of their location they could cause a detaching of placenta) and my cervix (I think I might have an incompitant cervix but she didn't think my cervix would be able to open as much during only 8 days BUT if I want she'll order the bed rest from the very beginning in my next pregnancy). I felt very hopeless after that visit...  

I'll be thinking about you and I'm sure there will be a happy ending for YOU AND YOUR BABY!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
In july I had a month of nonstop bleeding I then found out I have this bicornuate uterus.  My husband have decided to go ahead with having a child.  I have been doing some research on this and the more I read and try to understand it the more I get confused and scared to have a child. I know that any person who is having a baby anything could happen. Does anyone have some more information on this bicornuate uterus that will help me feel sure about our decision to have a baby
I have a BU and am currently 27 weeks pregnant. I have also done alot of research but all that did was make me worry more. I asked my OB some questions and found out that there are different degrees of a BU. I am lucky enough to have a mild case, and am due in febuary. I also heard that it is correctable. Good luck to you all, and don't believe everything you read in books (they are mostly worse case sinarios).
THANK YOU!! IT'S VERY NICE TO HEAR SOMETHING MORE OPTIMISTIC FOR A CHANGE!
BEST WISHES!!!
I am about 7 weeks pregnant but when I was about 5 weeks I began to bleed, i went to the doctors (a woman) she told me to put my feet up for 4 days and then to come back, by this point the bleeding had tapered off to just a pale showing and not much. I went back and she booked a scan for me. I went for the scan and there was a heart beat, it was difficult to date but it looked like 4-5 weeks. They also found a fairly large cyst on my left ovary (could explain bleeding) and the possibilty that I might have a Bicornuate Uterus! I don't know what is going to happen and I suppose there is an element of chance and nature taking its course but being a bit of a half empty person I tend to expect the worse then I can only be pleasantly suprised. Fingers crossed hey?
I have been reading these stories for about a week now, when I was first given the possibility of having BU. I must say if I've learned anything, it's that everyone has a different story. I would like to tell an up lifting one. I do not yet know if I have BU yet (I went for an US yesterday) but on May 28th of this year I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy... only he was due in Aug. and was 12 weeks early. I had an uneventful preg. without even morning sickness but I suddenly ruptured at home (I was later told that my placenta had torn) He was in a footed breach so I had a C-section. He (David) was 2lbs 13oz but at 28 weeks gestation, he was past the critical life/death age. It was a long road with ups and downs for the first three months but he is now 5 1/2 months old and doing great. Now I look back on the whole thing with confidence. Even if I do have BU (most likely I do), I am going to try for another cause it's worth every bit if you're able to succeed. Good luck to everyone thinking and wanting a baby. You'll never know until you try. :) I hear it is fixable and if I find out more I will post my findings
Although everyone is different, I would not worry too much.  I have an almost complete bc uterus, but have been very lucky.  Our problem is that I cannot stop getting pregnant.  My first pregnancy was unplanned, the second was only 2 months after my first daughter's birth, and my third (I am at 29 weeks now) happened dispite the pill and condoms!  Then only complications we have had were preterm births with both of my daughters, 35 and 34 weeks.  I guess we will see what happens with this little guy, but my girls are both very happy and healthy.  They just fight a lot! (they are only 10 months apart).  My left side seems to be able to handle pregnancies better than the right, but I suspect that it will be nearly impossible for me to go to full term, I will do my best this time.
I have almost complete BU and Double cervix, just about to start our second round of IVF, I am anxious but excited. When we get PG I will be attending a high risk clinic to watch the pregnancy closely. I also have to have a C Section but it is safer for baby and me.

Good luck to you all, I hope you all have +++ results and healthy babies..

xx

Monie
hello i am new to your site. I just wanted to share my story...a little more information  about BU.

Well I have a complete  BU with 2 cervixs. I am pregnant 7 weeks 5 days.

Everything is going well so far. Tomorrow I am doing an ultra sound to determine which side  the baby is on.

Everyone pregnancy is different i am told.... so we are taking one day at a time.

I will keep you posted. Anyone with a complete BC and 2 cervix?

thanks Nita
I am 28 with Complete BU and 2 cervixs and new to this site. I have always known about my problem as I was born with other bowel deformaties. I am so happy for you that you are ++++ PG!!! We are just about to start our second round of IVF as I have other complications so can notget PG. I like you am very worried once we are lucky enough to fall PG re risks and complications, that is why I am on Google every eday reading about other people's experiences, it gives me a better understanding and assists me to relate to others. It is good to know that it is possible to get PG. I hope you go well with your pregnancy, I look forward to your next post. Keep smiling!!

Ta Simone xx
I hope your scan went well, keep us posted

Simone (monie)
xx
Hi Simone,

Thanks for replying... just like you  I am  28 yrs old  and on the internet reading people stories. I wish you the best of luck in your IVF.

During a routine Doctors visit I found out i was born with one kidney on the right  and as a result.. i then later found out about my uterus. I known this only 3 yrs ago. We  have been trying to concieve (conceive) for a 1yr 6 months. Finally we got pregnant which is exciting....... it my 1st pregnancy.

Well my ultra sound went well.. the baby is on my left uterus so far so good. I will keep you posted on my pregnancy.

Good Luck to eveyone!

Nita :-)
Hi Nita,
Great news!!! You must be so happy... Are you being closely monitered? When we get PG I will be off to a High Risk Clinic to be monitered closely. I have to have some new scans, bloods and then back to the Gynae on 8-10-07 to see what our plan of attack will be this time. I had so much trouble with the egg pick up last time it really put me off.. it has taken us 3 years to decide to start this journey again. My husband could not stand me to go through it all again but after long discussions we thought we should try again soon. We are still young and I do not want to wake up one day and it is too late. I have always wanted children and I am mvery maternal. When I was younger I dealt with it better but as I got older and nothing happened it sinks in that it is all too real... Please keep me posted as I am so happy for you!!!

xx Sim (Monie)
Hi Simone,

My doctor did not say if i am going to be closely monitored... but i am going to ask her about that,...
especially about delivery.
I am glad you have not given up... keep trying and I wish all the best for you.
My next doctor visit is the end of sept.. so i am just taking it easy these days
Hey i wanted to ask u... about your uterus... on Aug 15th you posted you have an almost complete BC Uterus? then u said complete.

My uterus is completely separate.. like 2 balloons ... first we thought that it was one uterus with a wall in the middle  spliting it into 2.

I am just curious as to which one you have.

Good luck with your doctor's appointments.

Nita:-)
I have the exact condition as Shaun1's wife!!!

*************************************************************************
"Bicornuate uterus with a twin pregnancy in the same horn. "

Am curious to know what happened to ur wife ? Was she able to deliver healthy babies successfully ?

Dont see many twin related postings here.. Please tell me if any of u have a similar condition and have made it!!!
Hi Nita,
Sorry it is seperate... there has been speculation about this but it is sepeerate, I also have a vaginal septum. Glas your pregnancy is going well and I will let you know how I go at my appointment though it is not till 8th October.

Kepp happy and relax, enjoy your pregnancy

Monie
xx
Sorry have not had a pregnancy yet so not sure what advice to offer... Just make sure your doctors are monitoring you closely. I find it easier to talk to people about my problem or read other people's stories even though sometimes they are not what we want to hear, it is good to know other people's experiences and helps me...

Let me know how you are going ok...

Monie
xx
Hi everyone.  I'm a new member.  I was diagnosed with a bicornuate uterus about 10yrs ago during a ultrasound after  I had an ovarian cyst burst.  I have a 13month old who was born at 34wks.  I was put on bedrest at 32 wks after telling my OBGYN that I wasn't feeling right  and I really thought she should check me to make sure I wasn't going into pre-term labor.  Sure enough, my cervix was softening I was dialated (only 1cm).  She sent me home and asked me to come back in two days.  When I can back for my second apt, she said...pack up your stuff, I'm sending you to the hospital for steriod injections to help develope the baby's lungs.  Sophia was born at 34 wks.  She was in the NICU, but came home with us.  I had a regular vaginal birth.  She was posterior.  She was 5lb. 8oz..She had two dislocated hips from growing in such a tight space.  She wore a brace for 6months and is doing just fine.  She just started to walk about one week ago.  I would like to try to have another baby in a year or so.  Even though things turned out ok with Sophie, I am terrified after hearing how much can go wrong.  I only had very light rust colored bleeding the first 4-5 weeks after conception.  I have very close to a complete seperation per my OBGYN.  My point is, there is hope and listen to your body and advocate for yourself.  You know your body and your in charge!  If I wouldn't have asked to be checked at my apt, things might not have turned out as well!
Hi Botts,
Welcome!! Your story gives me hope.. I am terrefied of what can happen once I become PG, I have good doctors and will ensure I am monitored very close. People say I am crazy to do this to myself but I have to try... I hope for one child that is healthy and that is all, I do not care about sex or looks or any of that sort just healthy!! It sounds like it was tough but you did it, you should be proud of that!!! I lve in Sydney Australia, where do you live? And by the way if you think you can do it again, then go for it!! Did you get PG naturally or via IVF??

Keep smiling :0
Monie xx
Hello there everyone, i'm new too. I am amazed that there are so many women who are pregnant and have Bicornuate wombs, I am 7-8 wks pregnant and have a bicornuate womb and I had a miscarraige (miscarriage) 6 yrs ago when I last fell pregnant. I'm hoping I'll be alright this time. I didnt do any research re bicornuate wombs last time because I just wanted to forget. This time I have and it all seems a bit worrying. I havent gone to see my Doc yet cause I'm worried and I just want to bury my head till I get past the stage when I miscarried last time(3 1/2 mths)   Do you think I should go? x
Hi and welcome,
Congratulations! I would advise you to attend your doctor asap, it is best to be monitored. I for one feel better knowing about the risks and dangers, it helps to read other peoples posts. The doctor may beable to assist you and prevent miscarriage. Try to stay positive and keep me posted...

Love and hugs to you

Monie xx
I am 26 years old with BU.  I don't know the severity of the split but took two HPT and both were positive.  I have been trying to get pregnant for 4 months.  After one cycle of Clomid TA DAH baby!  I haven't been to the dr. to conferm yet.  I go on Oct. 22.  I am terrified of a miscarriage and all the unknowns.  I continue to read the interent for things to look out for but I just don't know my risks other than miscarriage.  My dr. says "we'll see what hapens".  I am looking for more definite answers to eliviate some of my fears.  Advice???
Congratulations on ++ PG I am so happy for you!! If I can advise you I would go to the doctor sooner or find a good OB/GYNAE ASAP, you need to be monitored, look all could go smoothly, some women do not even know they have this till they give birth and then others have reoccuring problems. Stay positive and keep reading, it helps me! Keep me posted, keep smiling ok

Monie xx
Thank you for replying.  I am in a panic right now b/c I went to the bathroom about an hour ago and I am spotting.  I didn't hardly spot when I was on the Prometrium to make me have a period.  I called the nurse and she said it could be normal and to monitor the bleeding.  I don't have any abdominal pain right now but I am scared to death.  They will see me Monday if it does not stop over the weekend.  Is this normal with BU?
I too have a BU and I'm 23 weeks preggo tomorrow. I too had bleeding early in my pregnancy. At 7 weeks I had bright red bleeding for 3 day then brown spotting on and off till around week 13 or 14. The cause for my bleeding was never determined even with u/s. Are you having any cramping with the bleeding?
The only cramping I have is when I have to go to the bathroom which seems to have gotten hard to do.  I went to the hospital Saturday b/c the bleeding has gotten worse.  It is now a constant spotting.  They took som blood tests and said that my pregnancy hormone was only 231 which means I am not as far as they thought or I am not progressing correctly.  The bleeding has turned into a black color.  I am so scared.  They are going to take more blood tests this morning and make sure my 231 number increases by 60%.  I was on Clomid to make me pregnant.  
I am so sorry to hear this news, I could not reply yesturday had the day off for another Doctors appointment... Are you ok? Has it stopped? Did they give you a US? I have my fingers crossed for you and you are in my thoughts. I look forward to your post and please take care

Monie
xx
Thank you but it's too late.  I lost the baby Monday at 6 weeks.  My hcg level on Saturday when the bleeding continued was 231.  On Monday it was 77.  Monday afternoon I began passing large blood clots and it continued until yesterday sometime.  My heart is broken and I don't know how to get through this.  I am not alone but I feel like I am and I hate the whole world.  My husband doesn't want to try again and I can't go through this again so I don't know what will happen.
I am so sorry to hear about your loss... It is tragic. Was this your first PG? You need to grieve, it is normal. Let your self go through this process. Wait till you are both ready emotionally and physically before trying again. I can not say I know how I feel as I have not been PG as yet but my thoughts are with you. I hope to hear from you soon, try to keep positive.

Monie
xx
How is your pregnancy progressing? Hope you are well. I can not start IVF now till Jan 08 because my rubella is too low!! Of all things to hold us up... So I have to get a new vaccine and wait two months. I was disapointed but it is best to be safe and have it done. Is this your first PG?

Well take care

monie
xx
How are you going? Hope you are well.

Monie
xx
Yes this was my first pregnancy.  We took one cycle of Clomid and got pregnant the first time.  If only we had made it....I want my doctor to do some tests and look around.  When I asked her to do that dye test to see the split of my uterus she said let's just wait and see what happens.  I do not like what happened.  I want and NEED answers before I can try this again.  Why wouldn't she want to see what we were dealing with before putting us through this? I live in North East Ohio and I am looking for a high risk ob/gyn now.  
As for you, you have been kind to me and I pray you never experience this.  The feelings of emptiness and the heartbreak everytime you see a baby in the store with her mommy makes you melt.
If you read the post to Wakey on 10/11/07 you will see that I lost my pregnancy.  The bleeding got worse and the hcg levels continued to drop until I lost it.  I am more afraid now than ever before.  I can't imagine a greater pain that this.  Jan 08, assuming I get the answers I am looking for is when we plan to try again and without the Clomid this time.  Good luck to you and may you not have to go through what I am going through.
I see you had an appointment on the 8th.  I hope it went well for you.  I am no longer pregnant.  I lost the baby on the 8th.  I truly hope yours goes well.  All the responses does help.  I continue to read and obses about finding answers.
I am consumed with finding answers.  I did not ovulate so they put me on Clomid.  I don't want to take drugs again.  I want things to happen naturally so I read on the net that there is a vitamin called Evening Primrose Oil and if you take it during menstration (1500mg) until you ovulate it will increase your chances greatly.  Does anyone know of this vitamin?  I am willing to try anything without actual drugs.  Please.....
I understand your need for answers and yes your doctor should be more interested and try to help you. I live in Sydney Australia so I can not even reccomend anyone for you... I am similar I keep searching till someone bloody listens!!! Evening Primrose Oil is good for you but I have not heard of that before... It can not hurt so give it a try!! Seek another opinion, someone will listen and help you.

Stay strong and you are in my thoughts.

Monie
xx
I am sorry about your loss... Have your doctors given any answers? You to are in my thoughts. Give yourself time to grieve.

Monie
xx
I go to the doctor on the 22nd of October.  I imagine she will tell me that the loss did not occur b/c of the bicornuate uterus and it was just a part of nature.  I want the tests done to see the split, to rule out endometriosis(mom had that) and to make sure of what I have and don't have.  Waiting to see what she says........
What about a fertility specialist?  Should I go to one of those?
Ok well see what happens on the 22nd/10th. Have you had an internal Ultrasound? This along with a CT should be enough to confirm or deny any problems in that area. They both do not hurt and are relatively easy. Yes I would reccomend a fertilty/ob/gynae for sure. They will have more experience with our problems. Stay strong and I look forward to your next post

Monie
xx
I have not had a full internal ultrasound.  And I don't know what CT is.  I asked for the test that includes injecting dye into the uterus to see the split and was told it was not necessary.  Too many women have normal pregnancies, not to worry.  I am not happy with that any more.  How many do I have to lose before they think it is important to look around and see if I have anything else that could have caused my loss?? It makes me feel like she doesn't care about me at all.  I have a feeling I will soon be looking for a new doctor.
Well that is where I would start, Internal Ultrasound, Pelvic CT Scan. Dye is injected along with a liquad taken orally (contrast) Then a machine takes pictures and the dye shows the areas they wish to look at. I am not sure what it is abreviated for sorry. The tube test with the dye is good to see if the tubes are blocked, or scarred in any way. My sister had this done, it is a bit uncomfortable but does not hurt. This shows if there are asny issues in that region. After these simple but stressful tests you should have a clearer picture and yes find a new doctor that cares about you as an individual!!!

Monie
xx
Thank you SO MUCH.  I have been on other forums and no one else seems to stick with me long enough to get actual advice.  I am going to take a list of these tests and demand that the doctor do them or I am going to find a new one.  As time passes my husband and I agree to try again after the 1st of the year but not until I have exactly what you said.  "A clearer picture".  I know there is no guarantee that I won't lose another baby but I want to be real sure I am as informed about my body and the possible risks I am taking before I wait and see what happens again.
This has been about me, what about you?  How are things going for you?
No need to thank me, I am happy I have helped you. I am happy for you and your husband that you will try again and once you know exactly what you are both dealing with it will be easier. Be strong and make them listen to you!! Me I am ok we will be starting IVF on my January cycle. All our paperwork and test results are at the clinic so we jsut have to wait now. I am feeling more positive this time and I am going to try to relax a bit more, I am one of those people who can not sit stil!!! Let me know how you are going. This site helps me so much and I thank you for continuing to post.

Talk soon
Monie
xx
I will pray for you and I hope it works out.  I am like you in that I can not sit still.  I was a nervous reck from the moment I found out I was PG.  I am trying to work on it.  Reading other postings from women who have had healthy babies makes me relax a little but it seems to be a temporary fix.  That is why I must have the tests to see what I've got going on.  Maybe we will both get PG in January since that is when we decided to try.  It's going to work this time for BOTH of us.

Shannon
Thank you so do I. We both need to chill out!! Well that would be great if we did, I will keep everything crossed for us both. Let me know how you go with the tests. It is Friday here so have a good day tomorrow and I will post on Monday and say hi.

You have lifted my spirits and you sound much better and more positive each time you post.

Take care
Monie
xx
Well everything looks normal.  The blood, the urine, all is well except for me.  She said to try again in Jan. with the prometrum and clomid again.  On November 9th she is going to have the internal ultrasound done so we can see exactly what we are dealing with but still firmly believes this loss was as normal as it would be for someone who doesn't have any other issues.  I don't know.  I guess we will wait and see what happens on Nov 9.  One appointment at a time..........
Good start, yes one at a time... I am glad youy are being listened to. Well wait and see what the U/S shows. Only a couple more weeks till then so try to keep busy while you wait. I had my rubella shot on Saturday so now I am waiting till January cycle to start our IVF... I too am trying to keep busy and try to relax also when I can... yeah right ha ha Well I have to go, talk soon

Monie
xx
It has been a week since we talked so I just wanted you to know you are still in my thoughts and prayers.  Morning, noon, and night I pray that January is our month!

Thinking of you
Shannon
Hi Shannon,
I know.. I have been sick just a virus but I have been hanging to chat!! Thanks for your kind thoughts I need them right now feeling a bit down about everything. You too are always in my thoughts, my friends even ask how you are!! I talk alot... ha ha Bring on January!!!

Take care keep smiling it is nearly Xmas & I love Xmas!!!

Monie
xx
I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling well.  If you are like me there will be highs and lows.  There are days when I think about what has happened and am very sad but there are other days when I feel hopeful and know with all of my being we are going to be mommy's soon.  It just depends on the day.  When you are sad I am here, thousands of miles away but I am here.  
I agree Christmas is great and my husband has a 6 year old so it is extra great (at times, there are other times when I look at him and question why I couldn't give him a baby too). The holidays will keep us busy and with a new year is new happiness.  08 is our year! We are going to be great mom's b/c we want it more than te average person.

Keep your chin up
Shannon

P.S- Do you have a my space page at all?  My youngest sister insisted I have one.  It's another great way to keep in touch and you can make it private so only those you wish to see it can see it.
Thanks for cheering me up!!! Yes ups and downs... It is great your husband has a son, it must be nice to be such a special part of his life!!! Yes we are going to be great mums absolutely... I feel so much better today, thank you for being there for me even if you are so far away!!! No I do not have a my space page, something I will have to look into I think, I will ask my little sister to help me she is only 16.

It is Friday so have a great couple of days and I will post on Monday (Australia time)

Monie
xx
Off to the Ultrasound tomorrow....I pray they find nothing else wrong and he concures with Dr. Zart that January is a good time to start again.  Cross your fingers!
Ok, well fingers crossed!! January here we come!!! Have a great weekend I will post Monday. Thinking of you!!!

Monie
xx
Bad news....The split is considered a level 5, Septum Uterus.  The ultrasound dr. said it looked like I would be a good candidate for the surgery that is offered but I would need to follow up with my regular dr.  It is almost a complete split which at this point he wouldn't say that full term pregnancy is impossible b/c stranger things have happened but unlikely.  They think the reason I lost the baby was because the egg may have landed in the split section where there is no blood supply which is why I lost the baby so early. No more January for me and I suffer from a broken heart yet again...I am forced to hope she wants to do the surgery and that it is a success.  I pray for any woman out there who is dealing with this type of thing.  It is the most difficult thing I have ever been through.
Oh I am so sorry... I have the same, and double cervix, one blocked and scarred tube and one they can not find!! I know it is hard. At least you know what you are dealing with now and can try to make things as good as possible. I have read and heard of others with this condition who have had there dreams come true with a little baby, we just need to try even though it is hard to stay positive and have hope... I realy feel for you right now, it is horrible... I have always known as I had other bowel problems and lots of other surgery but as I said earlier it does not sink in how seriouse it is till you really have that yearning feeling... Please try to smile even though it is tough...

Hugs to you
Monie
xx
Thank you for your response.  No one around me can imagine how I feel right now but I know you can. Thursay I follow up with my OB\GYN and I am hoping that she too recommends me for the surgery.  A successful proceedure seems to be my best chance of having a baby. There is a small bit of hope left in me now but it is easily broken when I think of never having a baby...I'm so sad I don't know how woman who never have their baby get through this and go on to be happy.  There is such a void that needs filled in my life...

I will let you know what she says Thursday
Shannon
Our condition is VERY frustrating.  I went in today for an emergency appointment because I went to the bathroom this morning and passed a couple of small clots and TISSUE... yes, a small amount of tissue.  OK, so they checked the baby's heartbeat and it was over 150, that was the first thing they did after taking a urine sample.  I am 15 weeks 2 days, by the way.  I have had one previous miscarriage.  I saw a different doctor today because my midwife was at the hospital delivering a baby.  Well, the new doctor told me that she showed notes that they THOUGHT I had a double cervix and a double uterus but that at my last appointment they couldn't find the second cervix... WHAT????  I can feel my two cervixs very well as they are not that far up there... ya know?  Anyhow, I remember the midwife saying that she couldn't pap the second one because she was having trouble finding it... because more than likely she was on one side of the septum.... DUH!!!  Well, anyhow, this new doctor found it right away and assured me that I DO have two of everything just like the ultrasound showed.  It frustrates me beyond belief having to explain my condition to soo many doctors and then they try to tell me I've lost my mind.  This doctor was AWESOME today though... she put the ... I don't know what you call that thing they put in there to open your vagina up... well she put that in on the edge and then opened and was able to see the thick layer of skin that separates my two cervixs.  Needless to say, I am switching doctors, NOW!

The doctor told me that the tissue and bleeding came from sex.  I am restricted from having sex for two weeks!!  My baby's father is not happy with that.  =)

Have any of you experience this ignorance of doctors?  I was put on high risk, then taken off and now I'm being putt back one.  Are any of you high risk?  I am just wondering if I should be or not?
Hi Shannon,
Yes it is hard we will have good days and bad we just have to try to focus on other positive things in our lifes like our husbands and family and friends. Well fingers crossed for your appointment and I look forward to your next post. I know what you say as I felt the same until I found this website and us chatting helps me so much so thank you

Big hug and kisses to you
Monie
xx
Hi and welcome,
Yes frustrated beyond belief, I have been dealing with this my whole 29 years and mostly since the age of 14 when I started seeing specialists for these issues among others. I am so over it as well at times, but you just have to explain and then one day you find a great doctor and you forget about all the others!! So stick to what you feel comfortable with is my advise. I have never had a successful pap smear on my seccond cervix (right side) and yess mine are both low as well. The only time it was successful was when on eof my doctors did it when I was asleep having surgery to check out all my problems three years ago... I am so happy for you that you are PG+++ I would stay on the high risk patient clinic list if I was you if nothing else but peice of mind. Are you having a natural birth?

Hope you post soon.
First Congrats on being pregnant and making it to 15 weeks.  You're through the first trimester, that's great!!!

I am going as you might have read to my OB\GYN today to see if she is going to concure with the dr. that did the ultrasound and send me for the surgery to remove the septum in my uterus.  I am wondering if you looked into this with your double uterus or it was not an option for you.  I am fortunate that this appears to be my only issue.  So far they have found no other "extra parts" and I did get pregnant once. Though I lost the baby at 6 weeks, they think the embryo embedded into the septum instead of the wall of the uterus.  My fingers are crossed that they do the surgery b/c I have read on the internet that you can end up with near normal uterus if it is successful.  

If you can please stay with me and Monie through these posting.  Speaking for myself and Monie we are very interested in a postive outcome for you, it tends to give us hope when we need it most.

I will post tomorrow with results from DR.

Shannon
I just found out about my septation last November at a routine papsmear with a new OBGYN in Florida, I was 29.  After having a papsmear for 13 years, every year, I was shocked to say the least.  I had known there was something that wasn't quite right, I would secretly ask female friends and family if they had a piece of skin inside their vagina.  Of course all of them would say NO.  I would insert tampons and 10 minutes later I would be leeking because I had inserted the tampon in the wrong side of my septation... I have a thick ban of skin that separates my two cervixs and it comes down to almost the legnth of my vagina.  I can't say that I wouldn't want to have it removed but it doesn't really cause me any trouble... I just use OB tampons now... that coves the entire opening.  After the baby is born my new Gyno wants to do a dye test of some sort to find out if both cervixs work????  I am confused about that one... they used a different word but I can't think of what it was.  

I had one previous miscarriage in July of 2001.  From what I understand over 50% of women miscarry their first pregnancy.  I was early in mine.  I actually did not really know I was pregnant until I had the spotting and passing of tissue.  I was able to enjoy "knowing" for about 2 weeks.  I have not looked in to the options of getting the septation removed as mine is a complete septation which, from what I have read, is a good thing.  The more complete the septation the better chances of having a healthy baby.  If women can carry 2, 3 and 4 babies in a normal size uterus, I know I can carry one baby in my half sized uterus.  My baby's fathers mom has an infantile uterus.... it is extra extra extra small.  She had 4 very healthy children and only one miscarriage and that was her first pregnancy.  The doctors told her she would not be able to get pregnant much less carry a baby.  She had ALL four babies the natural way.  She did not need a c-section.  Stories like this uplift me.  He uterus is actually inverted as well.  Her babies survived all the odds... I pray for my baby every day.  I am at the stage now where I can feel my little one move every now and then and that is reassuring.  I will be ordering a doppler so I can listen to his/her little heartbeat any time I want to.  =)  Although I do not know how dangerous that is.  I will be 16 weeks on Monday.  I have to say ladies that I am already showing.  Despite all of what I read that thin women who are "inshape" will not show until after 20 weeks... that is BS for me.  =)  Honestly, I LOVE showing this early!

There are not that many of us out there.. though I've read MANY stories that women do not know about their condition until they are delivering via c-section.  I hope to deliver naturally.. I pray to deliver naturally... I really want that experience.  I am already preparing for the pain and soon will be joining a birthing class... I refuse to do an epidural fi I am able to deliver natural.. but of course I will have no choice in that matter if I have to have a c-section.  

Keep your chins up!  I am thankful for my health everyday.

Hope all went well yesturday and I look forward to your post. We need to stay positive!!!

Monie
xx
Hi there,
As Shannon said in her lovely post hang in there with us and we can support each other, we are both so excited about your news and we would love to be there for you if you need us.

Let us know how you are going and take care, enjoy your pregnancy. From what I have read how the baby is lying effects if a natural delivery is able to happen or not, sometimes the baby does not have enough room to turn, but I am no expert. Talk to your OB and discuss all your options. You want to be prepared for what ever may happen.

Monie
Well so far good news.  My Dr. agrees that I am a candidate for the surgery and she gave me the name of two fertility places to talk to.  I called the first one at Cleveland University and they are going to see me Dec. 6th.  I don't know what they are going to do.  She said they might repeat the ultrasound to get a look for themselves and then once in agreement move forward with the surgery.  If all goes well it could and will likely leave me in a "near normal" uterus.  After the sdurgery and 4-5 cycles I should have the ok to try again.  As for now my hopes are high again.

Thanks for being with me Monie~
Good news... at least you are getting somewhere and being reffered to the right places. It is great and I too am positive for you. Let me know how you go on the 6th December, fingers and toes are crossed. I am happy I can be here for you a syou are for me.

Monie
xx
I Had 2 m/c ( 12 weeks and 8 weeks)....My doctor diagnoised me with heat-shaped uterus ...and said it requires Surgery...I read in the forums that its risky to go in to surgery ,,,
Please advice ....  
Iam really tensed and stressed out...
Good luck to ALL of you and please take care...
I meet with my surgeon next Thursday.  My doctor told me that any surgery comes with risk but this type has become fairly routine and is an out patient procedure.  The biggest risk is being put under. I personally would take any risk to have a baby and never another miscarriage.  Stick with the postings and I'll let you know how it goes.  When all goes ok, you will be able to relax just a little bit.
I didn't search long before I found this site and I wanted to read all the entries before I posted my own. So here's my long story:

In 1997 I was 17 and I became pregnant for the first time one month to the day before I was to turn 18.  I was young and naive. On my 18th birthday I started bleeding so I went to the hospital. They determined I still had a fetus inside but couldn't explain the bleeding. I still have the sonogram pictures from that day that just shows a small circle with a smaller dark circle inside indicating the heart. My doctor at the time ordered me a few days of bed rest until the bleeding subsided and no sex for a while. She said if I didn't listen I would run the risk of loosing the baby, so, of course, I did. When it came time to give birth, things were not so easy. The doctor explained that the baby had not turned inside of me in the allotted time period so she was going to perform a c-section because there was no other way. She said she fears the cord may have wrapped about the baby's neck. So, I went into the hospital just like having a scheduled surgical operation to have my baby cut out of my body. Everything went well. My daughter and I were fine. She’ll be 10 yrs old this coming January!  

I’m 28 now....through all these years, having more kids didn’t concern me because I hadn’t  found that one and only guy to have kids with.  Until I met the man I was sure I would spend the rest of my life with. We married this past August. He’s my only husband and my life!  He has three teens already and kept himself open for more kids if he found someone that wanted them. I had no idea what was to come.

We got pregnant this past June 2007. We were camping and I started bleeding. I thought this was weird because I already had a period around 2 weeks before. There was pain in my stomach. The left side hurt a lot. On the way home we talked about the possibility that it was because I was pregnant. But if so, why was I bleeding. I tested myself and it was positive. I hesitated to go to the hospital. I wanted to wait and see what would happen but the pain was still there and the bleeding did not go away. I finally went after 2 or 3 days. They determined I was pregnant but my levels were only in the 200's. So I had followed up with the on-call doctor that the hospital consulted with. Each appointment I had with this office was a great experience. They kept me with one doctor so only he would know my story and help me through.  At the same time he did not know what was happening, why I was bleeding. But, he did know that I was miscarrying. I bled for a total 2 weeks from that day we were camping. It was a Tuesday. I felt weird and went to the bathroom. When I was done; I saw tissue of some sort in the toilet and I knew it was all over. I cried for a long time. I couldn't believe my baby was gone.

Sorry that this is so long still but that's not the end...

Towards the end of this past October I started feeling not myself. I'm tired all time and my breasts hurt so much. Something was inching in my mind to test myself again. It turned out positive yet again. I wasn't too excited because I was thinking of another miscarriage. The bleeding had not started but I was cautious. Then it happened; I was at work and the bleeding started. I rushed to the pharmacy to get another test and then home. If it was negative I was going to return to work. It was positive. I called my husband's best friend. He drove me to the hospital and my husband was there when we got there.  The doctors said that my levels were up to 11, 000 at that time but they couldn't see anything at all in my uterus. I was so scared. I followed up with the different on-call doctor that the hospital was consulting with by phone. They never asked to see me. They just wanted me to get a blood test and sonogram. And every time I called and spoke with this one nurse, she treated me like I was an idiot. I made the choice to change back to the doctor's office I went to when I miscarried.
During my last sonogram, the woman tried to tell me that the sack was visible but with the bleeding I had, I must have miscarried because it was empty. My hopes were shot. And then it was husband that spotted something on the screen. It was the fetus and I began to cry.

During my first visit with this doctor's office, I saw a midwife. She was wonderful. She finally told me something no one else ever told me, all these years. Through my pregnancy with my daughter; the miscarriage and now this baby; she examined all the notes from everything with this pregnancy. She told me I had a heart-shaped uterus. I had never heard of any of this before a few weeks ago. I’m so relieved to know why I have been bleeding and have pain in my stomach.

I now know why my daughter didn't turn. There wasn't enough room for her to do so. The midwife already explained that they will do all they can to help turn this baby but it may be that I will have another c-section. It hurts a little, to know I may never have a natural child birth. I wanted that so bad.

I still no little of my own heart-shaped uterus and any risks it may bring me while I’m pregnant. I plan on asking a lot of questions to the doctor I’m scheduled to see at the end of December.

I thank everyone for their entries on this site. It has helped me gain knowledge about the bicornuate uterus. I will continually post to update everyone on my progress. But it will be shorter...   :)
Hi and Welcome!!

Did the doctors tell you where the baby implanted?  I actually have a double uterus and double cervix which is called Didelphys Uterus.  I am 30 years old and was not diagnosed until last November.  These anomalies are definitly trying.. but you do have a healthy little girl, so you know your body is strong enough to have babies.  I am currently 8 weeks 1 day  =)  I live in fear everyday that I will lose my baby because my womb is not large enough to provide the growing space that my baby needs.  I have bleed some through this pregnancy too.  I lost a baby in 2001, so I know how much you suffered in your miscarriage.  I pray continously for the health of my baby and I will pray for the healthy and healthy delivery of yours.  

Have you discussed the chances of having natural birth?  I was given less than a 20% chance of carrying my baby to full term.  I was told that I would most likely deliver around 32 to 36 weeks, but I have read success stories of women who delivered natually and were full term and stories of those women who carried to term but had to have C-sections.  I really want the opportunity to experience natural childbirth, but the health of my baby is most important.  My doctor says if the baby has not flipped by 36 weeks that I should expect a C-section.  Is this what you were told?

I love reading stories of women who have delivered healthy babies who have anomalies like ours.  Every child is a blessing.
I am sorry I am 18 weeks 1 day, not 8 weeks 1 day... Sorry for the typo!
The baby is implanted on the right side of my uterus. I am between 8 and 9 weeks right now. I try to have hope this one will be like my first but I can't be for sure. There's always a chance something will go wrong.  Given what I said to the midwife about my pregnancy, all she said is that they will try to make a natural birth happen. At the same, looking at everything right now, it doesn't look promising. I'm hoping to get a lot more answers at the end of this month. I was able to carry my daughter to full term though. I was young and didn't really think about my time being pregnant in weeks; so I don't know how far I was when I had a C-section. I do know they took her out only a week or so before my due date. but she was a 5 pound baby. I'm sure the lack of space in my uterus was the reason why she was semi-small.
I researched and researched and researched my condition.  I was orginially diagnosed with a bicornuate uterus then later they told me that I have two complete utuerus and two complete cervix.  All those OB visits and no one caught it.  I have a septum that separates the two wombs, it's rather strange and rare.  I have been asked if I was supposed to be a twin and I always say "I don't think so" it's just the way God created us.  We were meant to have our little gifts!!  Keep me updated as your pregnancy progesses.  When are you schedlued for your next US?
on the 28th
I had prgressive stage 2 of 4 of cervical cancer when I was 16 years old.  The doctor did a LEEP procedure to take care of things.  It is a series of three different burn this scrap that.  I don't know I was just a kid.  Now I am 26 and after a miscarriage they said I have septum uterus.  I can't believe that they didn't find it long ago.  I meet with the surgeon on Thursday to see if he will remove it.  Fingers crossed..........
good luck...let me know what the doctor says.
Hope you are doing ok, any news? Sorry I have not posted for a while, I have been so busy...

Well one more month till we start IVF, I am starting to get the gitters... It is nearly Xmas so that should keep me occupied...

Monie
xx
I think about January being YOUR month all the time.  It's going to work this time I know it!!!  My appointment with the surgoen yesterday went....ok....he said we need to do an MRI to determine if I have the bicornuate or the septum.  I really like this doctor which has helped to calm my nerves a lot.  He said no matter which type it is we will have a baby so that was good to hear.  I only pray not to have to go through another miscarriage in the process. Once the MRI is done we can determine if we want to go forward with the surgery or not.  Of course I do but that is yet to be determined.  I made my appointment for December 26th for the MRI.  I am praying for the septum so they can remove it and I can be on with my life. The results from this test could be the best Christmas gift EVER!!

I'm not too excited yet but I am more hopefull.
Thanks for remembering.  There are those in my own family that forgot.  Sad but true.

Shannon
Thanks a lot your answer sbumblebeeo
I was travelling last week.. i didn;t have time 2 login in to the forum..
What did your surgeon say?
Has anyone done surgery for heart shaped uterus before?
My last post to Wakey tells about my meeting with my surgeon.  
As for your last question I was told that a heart shaped uterus refrences the bicornuate uterus which there is no surgery done for however if you are refrencing a septum which can also resemble the heart shape there is surgery available and that is what I am waiting to find out about.  The MRI will determine which of the two I have and then we will move toward the surgery assuming it is the septum.  It can be very confusing but I will keep you informed of all my meetings if you are interested.
Thanks a lot for the update...
Please keep me posted...I will also do the same...I have appointment on this thursday...
Where r u loacted? Iam in Chicago - US
Hi Shannon,
Great news, well good luck fingers and toes are crossed for you xx Thanks I am trying to be positive and ready myself for January... I can not wait to here what happens after the MRI. This doctor sounds like he knows his stuff!!! It is sad my parents are never interested but the rest of my family are so suportive, and I am thankful for that!!! Take care

Monie
xx
Now that January is right around the corner I was wondering when you go to the doctors.  Begining, middle, end???? Do you know that if you concieve (conceive) in January you could have your baby on my birthday!  September 8th!  Let me know......I can't wait to hear the great news.
I go mid January when my cycle starts so around 14th - 17th Jan. Oh that would be nice!!! I am getting excited and it will be here before we know it. How are your Xmas plans going? What do you and your family do? Is it snowing there?

Monie
xx
Hi Monie~
Yes, I am getting excited too.  My gifts are all bought and wrapped.  My tree is beautiful and my family is coming over for dinner on Christmas eve.  I can't wait.  My husband has a 6year old boy so X-mas morning is extra fun at my house.  He is so cute when he comes running through the door to see what Santa brought him.  We are getting him a new bike this year.  I can't wait. As for snow, not yet.  We had some a couple of weeks ago but the rain has melted it all away.  I wish you had a myspace page.  I could put pictures on there so you could see it when it comes again.  Do you get snow where you are?  I live in Ohio right along the lake so we tend to get a lot!!

How about you?  What do you and yours do for the holidays??
Hi Shannon,
I love Xmas!!! You are organised, I have almost finished my shopping. I made alot of my gifts this year for my family which I enjoyed. I am sure he will love his bike, he will be so excited!!! I hope your dinner goes well and your Xmas is beauttiful, you deserve it!! Well I live in Sydney Australia, so it is hot, sticky and dry!!! I have never seen snow accept on TV ha ha It sounds beautiful where you live..

I think I will have to get this myspace page sorted out so I can see this beautiful place, I will try to do it over my Xmas break. I come back to work on 14-1-08 and finish next friday 21-12-07. My little sistter lives with us so I am looking forward to Xmas this year, my parents and brothers moved away earlier this year to Tasmania which is quite far, you have to fly there. She is 17 we are so proud of her, she got her learners licence a mont ago and we bought her a little car. Thsi will be the first Xmas we have woken up in our house and opened presents around our tree, we have been together for 8 years and married for 5.5 years so we are so excited about being home!!! We usually go to my parents house the night before. Well I have to go, talk soon. Seasons Greatings to you and your family.

Love Monie
xx
Monie,
Next week will be our last chance to chat until after the new year so I want to pass on me and my husbands philosophy for the New Year!  It is appropriat for each of us.  Ready...."Great In o eight"  This is our year for happiness.  Seasons Greetings to you and yours too.

Love,
Shannon~
Hi there - I've got a feeling this is going to be a long one, so apologies in advance!

I have just been doing some more research on bicornuate uterus and came across your post on this site. Very intriguing. I've heard of so many women who aren't aware of their 'unusual' uterus until they experienced pain or bleeding and some of them even had successful previous pregnancies/babies without being aware.

I just wanted to let you know that I have had my fair share of problems (although having said that, its nothing compared to other posts I've read!) - first pregnancy (twins) resulting in miscarriage at about 8wks (so know the emotions that comes with that) and my second pregnancy wasn't straight forward either, again massive bleed (with clots) and pain at just under 8wks and bleeding/pain continued until about 20 weeks and every time I went to the bathroom and had a bleed, the feelings of miscarrying would come flooding back. When I had my first miscarriage, I had to have a D&C and a lady opposite was 18 weeks and had miscarried so the 12 week period wasn't still 'safe' to me. Then came the worries of premature labour, I had lots of twinges throughout and trips to the hospital BUT I went into labour on my due date (knowing the date of conception). He did manage to turn himself around and he was quite a long baby too and quite a nice size at 7lb 4oz. I won't lie to you and say the labour was a breaze because it wasn't but I can't be sure it was because of my uterus, people with normal uteruses have experienced similar problems I'm sure! It was a long labour as I wasn't dilating (apparently due to uterus not contracting in normal way which dilates you) and I had 2nd degree tear and post-partum heam (but other people with normal uteruses can get this also). The only thing (apart from not dilating) that I think is down to the uterus is the manual removal of placenta that was needed - I have read quite a few women with unusual uteruses to have needed this. But I did give birth naturally and am pleased I did even with all the problems. However, a friend who has the same (how bizarre is that!) did have to have a c-section because her baby didn't turn. I have heard the first baby stretches the uterus slightly (as well as our skin!! lol) and things are then a little easier for subsequent babies but who knows!

Just wanted to reassure you that you can give birth naturally and he was my first. The only thing we did have to do is refrain from sex until I was further along and I had to be extra careful with stuff like hoovering which wasn't such a bad thing as I had more help with the cleaning than ever before! lol

I now find myself 7wks preg and am crossing my fingers all will be ok. I had a bleed last week but heartbeat was seen - fetus in left horn and bleed and clot in right horn (my son was the opposite way around, he was in the right horn and bleed in the left) and I'm sat here typing this and he's singing and dancing around the lounge driving me crazy!

Wishing you all lots of sticky baby dust xxx
HI SHANNON,
I LOVE IT!! IT IS NOW MY MOTTO TWO... I WILL MISS OUR CHATS OVER THE BREAK SO MUCH!!! BRING ON 2008!!! BIG HUGS TO YOU!!!

LOVE MONIE
XX
Thanks for your post and sharing your experiences. Your story gives me hope that I will be a mum one day. I am so scared about the pregnancy part but I will just take it in my stride and try to stay positive. Congratulations to you again.
Thanks for relating your story. It helps to hear others say that they have had their babies naturally. I'm trying to keep my hopes up but I just spoke with the Dr. office todays about the billing issue. They have already figured in the cost of the c-section. The last time I was seen, the Dr said I had a slight chance of having a natural but more then likely it will be a c-section. It hurts a little but I need to keep in mind of just carrying this baby. I'm in my 10th week now and I pray each day I won't loose the baby. That scares me the most.  Wishing you all the same luck with your baby   :)
just wanted to give everyone an update. i am having a miscarriage. my baby died 3 weeks ago and has been inside me until now...i've started to bleed it out. i just found everything out when i went to the drs. without an appointment and they did a sonogram today. i am in mourning once again. my appointment on the 28th obviously has been cancelled.  my dr wants to send my husband and i to a fertility specialist to further explain why i'm miscarrying and hopfully find out more about my heart shape uterus. the baby was in the right horn.  hope everyone is doing better then i right now. i can't stop hurting, crying. i lost another baby!!! i'm so sad.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I can not imagine how terrible it is. I wish you all the best and hope you feel better soon. You should go and see a specialist for sure.

Hugs to you...
Merry Xmas Shannon!!! Hope you have a great Xmas with your family!!! I love Xmas it is such a nice time of year. Bring on 2008!!!

Lots of love
Monie
xxxx
As I sit in front of this computer screen tears fall from my eyes for a women I don't know even know.  What I do know is you are not unlike any of us here who search every day for uplifting news.  I feel like my heart has been broken all over again.  I know the pain of losing a baby.  I lost mine October 8 this year. You will be sad for a long time.  It has been months and yet hearing your story has reminded me of my own lose and here I sit crying all over again.  My heart truly goes out to you.  I could tell you to stay possitive or everything happens for a reason but the truth of the matter is there is too much pain to hear any of that.  Stay close to your family, especially your husband and with time you will get through this.  Try to find one thing to smile about everyday and you will soon begin to smile all over again.  

Don't worry too much b/c a new year is right around the corner and "We're Gonna Be Great In '08"!!!!
Merry Christmas!!!! The week is ending and the gifts are wrapped...it will be over before we know it and then we'll be bringing on '08...Me, You, and Adaline28.  You will be in my thoughts on New Years Eve!  
Work on that myspace thing.  We have snow!  I want you to see....

From My Heart To Yours,
Shannon
thank you for replying and thinking of me and my family. i woke up early this morning and went to my daughter's room. i woke her up by hugging and kissing her. the first word she says is "mommy". i teared up. i'm so happy to have a child already who calls me mommy. i'm trying to stay positive but i can't stop thinking she will be all i have. she is so precious. she feels closer to me now more then ever.  after we got home from the doctors last night. i looked at my email. there's a week by week pregnancy info thing i signed up for a few weeks back. i open it up and it says "your baby's heart is beating furiously by now". i broke down and cried again as i am right now trying this. i looked at my husband and said "our baby doesn't have a heartbeat anymore".  i still can't believe this is happening. i felt so sure we had made it out of the dark this time. this christmas will not be as happy for me. but i will get by to see my daughter and step kids smile on christmas day.

thanks for all you support,
adaline
I'm really glad to see that I am not alone. When I came across this forum it brought a sigh of relief over me. I was diagnosed with a Bicornuate Uterus when I was 16. I was told that that I may not be able to get pregnant without IVF and if I did get pregnant than I may not carry to term. I am now 8 weeks pregnant. When I was around 5 weeks I was at work and I began to bleed. I was terrifyed. I was admitted to the E.R. and they ran tests; hormone levels, checked my cervix, and gave me an Invitro Ultrasound. I am glad to say that everything was alright. But I still have not stopped bleeding. It got heavier for a little while and it was like I was actually having a period. Someone mentioned above that their OB/GYN told them that one side of the uterus could be having a period, and that is the same conclusion that my doctor also came to. Since then it has lightened up, but I have been told that this may very well happen the entire pregnancy. So far I've been on bed rest and have ultra sound appts. every week, and everything has been great. I just wanted to thank everyone here for shedding a little more light on this topic for me, and letting me know that I am not alone. :)
Great news for me.  MRI came back and showed a septum instead of the bicornuate.  I am happy b/c I can have the surgery and fix it but I am scared at the same time.  I have to have an injection next week (same time as you) to put me in a premeanspause state for three months.  Then sometime in April I will have the surgery to remove the septum.  If al goes well I will be left with my near normal uterus and my even have a vaginal delivery!  Hot flashes at 26!  Here goes nothing......

Christams was wonderful by the way!

Lot of love,
Shannon
Where have you been?  I am suppose to get my loupreron injection this week to start the process so the surgery can be completed in three months.  I know you should be coming up on your date too.  Hope to see you post again soon.  

Shannon

Shannon
Hi Shannon,
Sorry I only just got back to work yesturday... Missed you so much!! Good news about the septum!!! Fingers are crossed for you sweetie!! I once had to have a similar medication to help with my painful period, the hot flushes are horrible I remember them so clearly but I am sure it will be worth it!!! Bad news for me got my period Friday night, rang the clinic Saturday morning and they are full for this month so I have to call again next month!!! I was devistated to say the least. I have been waiting for 7 months now since my first appointment to now, the aprahension is driving me insane!!! I feel like it will never start. I have to try to remain positive but I am discouraged right now I can tell you!!!

Hope your Xmas was good with your family. Mine was godd I enjoyed the break.

Thinking of you so much, big hugs to you
Monie
xx
Hi Shannon,

Monie
xx
Monie.....
I am so glad to see you on.  I thought when they changed the site a little that I had lost you forever!  
As for your bad news.  It's going to be fine.  I have to wait until the 28th now b/c he wants me to have a period right after.  I explained I only have about 3 a year so who knows if it will come or not but he said the shot on the 28th anyway. So even though you are discouraged know that I am too.  We are going to do this together, that's why you started.  We are going to get pregnant together have baby showers together and deliever full term together. This is the longest process either of our lives.  I am thankful you are there.

Don't forget: Great in '08!  It's going to happen this year.

Love,
Shannon
Hi Shannon,
Sorry to hear about your news aswell. Well they say good things come to those who wait and we have waited so bring on the good stuff I say!!! Thanks for your kind words you are right we will get there together!!! Thanks for being there for me, it means so much.

Great in 2008 for sure!!!

Love Monie
xx
Shannon,
Do you like my profile? It was fun, add a photo of yourself too

Love Monie
xx
Love your photo your doggy is cute... I have 2 dogs and 2 cats, they are my babies ha ha

Monie
xx
I am so pleased I have found this site!

I had 3 ERPC (D+Cs) last year I miscarried at 6 weeks and didnt find out until my 3 mth scan, thats when they booked me into have my 1st D+C. A couple of weeks later I had a bleed so I had another scan which still showed the sac, thats when i had my 2nd D+C. I had regular blood tests after that to monitor my hormone levels, which didnt fall, which led me to my 3rd scan and only then did they suspect a septated uterus, because the sac was still there leading onto my 3rd D+C. This was at the end of Nov 07.

The Gynae team I am under refered me to have a HSG ( dye into my uterus) which I have just had done and it has showned a bicornuate uterus!!!!!!!! Its seems there is one thing after another which from reading all the posts you all feel aswell.

I left the hospital in total despair and now am begining to feel more positive after reading all your posts.

Thank you

I will keep you updated and if anyone has any advice I would love to hear it!

Bex x
PLEASE!!!!!! Make you doctor order a pelvic MRI!  I finally found a surgeon that told me the only way to be positive if you have a bicornuate or septated uterus is with an MRI. I had two ultrasounds by two different people one said bicorn. and one said septum.  It is very important b/c a septum CAN BE FIXED WITH SURGERY, bicornuate can not. I am getting the shot that is required on the 28th to prep me for my surgery.  After a successful removal of a septum I will be left in "near normal" state.  It is hard and very scarey but worth all of it.  I to lost my baby at 6 weeks and my surgeon said that was most likely due to it emplanting in the actual septum where there is not enough blood supply.  
I will answer any question you have if I can.

Thanks for the reply,  

I will mention the pelvic MRI when I go in. Its such a waiting game!! Before you realised that your uterus was septated and they will be able to remove your septum, what advice where you given?

Wishing you all the best for the 28th!!!!

Rebecca
I was told to go home and try again.  Maybe it will go better next time and we can't be sure that your MC was due to any abnormality.  Then I demanded another internal ultrasound and found a different opinion which lead to a different dr. and then the MRI and now surgery.  It is worth it to never feel the pain of losing another baby.

Shannon
Hi there, I am sorry for your loss. As Shannon says insist on more tests or seek another opinion. It must be very hard, but Shannon and I are here for you... This year is going to be great!!! It will all work out for us we jsut have to be patient and try to stay positive.

I think information helps us cope and talking to others with similar problems does stop that feeling of isolation. You may beable to have surgery like Shannon...

Keep smiling ok.

Monie
xx
Thank you for you responces it really does help a great deal!!! I had a phone call from the specialist yesterday after he saw my HSG results, and he was very reassuring and positive. I have an appointment with him on the 4th March where he wants to see if I have a septum (because as you stated) he said if I have he will be able to remove it to allow more room, if not I suppose is try again and hope for the best!!!!!!

and Monie I have just read back and realised you will be undergoing your 2nd lot of IVF fingers crossed for you, my best friend has just given birth to a beautiful baby girl, which she had through IVF, it was a really long road for her but now she has amazing results! baby and her are both doing well. So please stay positive......

please keep me posted

Rebecca x
Hi All,
I am new to this site, but am thrilled to find folks with some of my same issues. I am 34 and have 2 healthy children. I was told for the first time that I had BU after a C-section where my daughter was breech 11 years ago. My doc did not make it a big deal. 4 years later , I became preg with my son while on the pill!!! I had another uneventful pregnancy (no spotting, no preterm labor, nothing.) About a year ago, my husband and I decided to try for another. I recently went to my doc for my annual pap and told him of my unsuccessful efforts. He ordered an HSG and the radiologist basically told me that I had a severe BU. One tube is open and the other is closed. My OB told me that he thought that tube had probably always been blocked and both my children were concieved adn carried on my right side. He was not discouraging, but basically told me that I was very blessed to have 2 children and that if it happened twice, it could happen again. I have also taken 2 cycles of clomid with no success. Any thoughts anyone can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and blessings to each of you.
Hi All,
Hi Shannon,
Did you have your needle yesturday? I hope you are feeling ok... I am sending big hugs your way!!! I only have 10 - 12 days to wait till I ring the clinic and hopefully can finally start my new IVF cycle... I am thinking of you.

Love Monie
xx
Hi there,
I would say exactly what your doctors said, but as it has been a while between pregnancies things can change in your body quit a bit... Maby seek a seccond opinion and have an internal ultrasound??? This may help you feel more at ease...

Good luck and keep me posted...

Monie
Thanks for your reply. I know that my doc is probably exactly right, I just don't like the idea that there's not a "quick fix" that I can do and speed things up. I know the Lord is using this to teach me patience, but some days I think it's KILLING me:) Thanks for the support. It's great just to know that someone understands.
Hey Monie....
I did in fact get my needle yesterday.  So far I am only sore around the area of the injection (in my butt cheek, can you believe that! They said my arm was too small).  Better than that I got my appointment for the surgery.  April 29th!  Hopefully all goes well and it will only take once but we won't know for sure until it's all over....I am excited and nervous all at the same time.  I finally feel like we are getting closer though.  

How about you? 10-12 days, that is great!!!!  I can't wait to find out how it goes for you.  Don't forget~Great in '08

Lots of love,
Shannon
Hi Shannon,
Great news!!! All is crossed for you, April will be here before we know it!!! It is nerve racking but it will be worth it!! I had a vaginal spetem lanced about 6 years ago, it seems to have worked, but I have no hope of any corrective surgery on my uterus it is too severe. I just know this is going to work for you!!!! Yes not long to wait now, I just want it to start, it has been a long 7 months... Keep smiling and I hope your needle spot feels better soon.

Love Monie
xx
just an update:

my husband and i went to see the fertility specialist today. she ordered me to have a pelvic mri before actually deciding herself if i have a bc uterus. she said there may be a chance it's a septum...sitting in that office, it hit me, fast. that i'm in this for the long, hopefully not too long, hall. i'm a little scared....we also need to go for genetic testing because of our backgrounds. they took my blood today to make sure my hormone level is back to 0 before continuing.
                                                              Adaline
Hi Adeline,
Well you are making progress, I would have the MRI it is best. It will help give you a better diagnosis which you can then make plans on how to deal with it. Try to stay positive and enjoy your beautiful daughter!!! Let us know how you go.

Monie
x
It sure sounds like you have the same issues as I.  They told me about the heart shape and then said septum.  I had the MRI done too and after determining it is the septum I am scheduled for surgery in April.  It is a long heart breaking process.  The waiting is the worst but at least if you check on me I should be able to give you an idea b/c I am a few months ahead of you in the process.

Try to smile it will get better,
Shannon
thank you both for your support. these past few months have been very trying on me...and now, all this new stuff i never dealt with before....shannon, can you recap for me and tell me why this process has been so long for you and have you been able to still have sex with your husband during this waiting period?    thank you so much, adaline
The only time I was unable to have intercourse was while I was bleeding while I was pregnant.  
For me the process began when I tried to get pregnant.  There were two months of taking my temp to see when I ovulate to discover that I don't.  Then there was a month of meds to make me have a period (since I don't have one of those very often) and then clomid to make me ovulate.  Then I got pregnant. I knew I had (what they thought then) bicornuate uterus but she said that I should go home and try anyways since there was nothin they could do for BU.  After I lost the baby so early (6 weeks) I demanded another internal ultrasound (2 more months went by) and found that with a second opinion I might have a septum uterus.  The dr then sent me to an infertility specialist (another month) who ordered a pelvic MRI to determine exactly which of the two I had (that took almost another month).  After they determined I do in fact have the septum and they are going to do surgery I had to have another dose of meds to enduce a period (one more month) and then get a shot of lupron right before my next period (which we already know I don't have so add another month).  On Jan 28 I finally got my shot and am scheduled for surgery in THREE months.  After that I don't know (yet) how long until I can try to concieve (conceive) again but it will take more clomid more meds...

I lost the baby October 8th and finally Jan 28 we have definite answers and progress.  We decided to get pregnant last May 2007. Everthing from here on out seems like it takes 3-4 weeks to happen.  It is a horrible process.
that sounds really long and frustrating!!!   i am scheduled for a pelvic mri this coming friday...i was told it was going to take some time because they are going to examine many areas..my fertility specialist wants to look at more areas then just my uterus. i hope it gives her the answers she needs to decide which road she's going to take me through...i went to my old baby dr. the one i had when my daughter was born and paid 50 dollars to get a copy of my entire file before they would shread it...i'm going to make copies of everything to give to the speacialist. and early in the morning, my husband and i are going to get blood work done for her as well. i have to fast but he doesn't, lucky him...i also requested to have the x-ray pictures of my mri when it's all done.

thanks for letting me know the process you're going through.
You are welcome.  I didn't mention that they were looking at my kidneys too but my insurance would not pay for it so they didn't do it. You should have been able to get a copy of your complete record for free.  I did.  The MRI took me about an hour and a half start to finish.
it would have been nice but they said the first 10 pages were free, anything past that was going to be 69 cents a page...i had a lot papers. i'm anxious about friday when i get the pelvic mri, i'm getting an extensive mri dome...she ordered other things to be examined along with my pelvis area to eliminate different things that may be wrong....the waiting will be the hardest...the specialist said she wants to see us in a month..enough time to get all the tests back...they did discover that after many years of my thyroid being ok...it's once again, off balance and i will most likely need medication for it.
I won't argue with you there.  This entire ordeal has me thinking about going to a counselor so I might find ways to deal with the depression.  The affects from the lupron shot are already taking a toll on me.  I seem to cry all the time. I hope you don't have to take it too.
Shannon,
I am so sorry to hear you are sad... I am almost crying after reading your latest post. I think it is a good idea to speak to a councillor, I am sure it would help you. Try to take a walk if the weather is nice or go and have a massage, or maby go punch a pillow I know that works for me when I am frustrated!!! Please take care of your self, you are constantly in my thoughts.

Love Monie
xx
Do not be nervous, it will be ok I promise... Once you know what you are dealing with I am sure it will get better and then you can make a plan with your doctor on how you are going to get through this!!! Try to stay positive, I know it is hard but Shannon and I are here if you need to talk, we understand the frustration, anger and depression, we are all here together!!! I am wishing you all the best, take care

Monie
xx
Thanks Monie... You are such a kind woman. It's so weird to have a friend like you yet you are so far away from me.  Maybe one day I will come to Australia.  I want to see a kangaroo :)

Love,
Shannon
I was diagnosed with a BC uterus in 2006 at 17 weeks of pregnancy.  During that appointment I also found out that I was pregnant with twins, one in each uterus.  We were so excited since we had been trying for awhile and had miscarried in the past.  My doctor did not talk to me for two weeks after being diagnosed and never told me that it was not good to be pregnant with twins with a BC.  At 19 weeks my right unterus ruptured killing both babies and almost me.  Luckily I was closer to a different Dr. when it ruptured then the one I normally went to, this new Dr. had seen this before and knew exactly what to do.  I had to have 5 units of blood and was still low when I left the hospital.  The right side of my uterus was removed and sewn up, then they had to cut open what was left again to take out the other baby since she passed away towards the end of the operation.  We lost our little boy and girl and have also gone through alot of depression from it.  Both me and my husband have gone through counseling and it has helped tons.  I do not look at everyone who has children and cry anymore.  We were told that we could try to get pregnant again after a year but have still not tried.  We are just starting to think about it again.  Has anyone ever had a successful pregnancy after something like this?  It really scares my husband since he almost lost me as well as the babies.  
I don't want to scare anyone my Dr. said that it is rare to have it rupture.

Thanks,  and I wish all well.
Amanda  
Hi Amanda,
I am sorry to hear about your terrible loss, it must be so hard.... Lots of women have had successful pregncies with BU, it can happen and now that you have a single Uterus it should help... I would see your doctor and seek his/her opinoin before hand just to make sure you are ready. I wish you all the luck in the world that your dreams will come true very soon!!!
Hi Shannon,
Thanks for your post it brightened my day!! I hope one day we can meet!! I rang the clinic on Friday afternoon and the nurse is going to speak to my DR and find out when they want me to start my first Meds which is a Nasal Spray taken 12 hours apart for around 10 - 14 days to down regulate me ready for stimulation. I have to call back tomorrow morning to find out when to go in and pick it up. I am excited but nervous as hell!!! I will keep you posted... I am hoping this is the last period I have for the rest of this year I am so sick of the pain...

Love monie
xxxx
Monie...
Everyday I jump on this website hoping that today is the day you tell me you are ready for the next step and soon after that you tell me you are pregnant!  I thought I had a long wait...I can't barely stand waiting for you.  I don't know how you are doing it.  I am not familar with what you are going through.  I don't seem to have a problem getting pregnant, just staying that way...since I am at a stand still until my surgery I think about your issues every day.  With my fingures crossed.

My boyfriend and I are not married yet (long story with his ex) I learned to accept his hesitation but we are talking about it and looking at a magazine with Honeymoon locations. There was one listed that you could go to Australia.  I told him that was what I wanted to do...he just laughed.  How about a honeymoon baby!  That would be great

Talk to you later,
Shannon  
i had my pelvic mri plus more, this past friday...basically 2 mri's in 1...they gave me a cd with all my images on it...it looks like i have a BU instead of septum but i'm not the dr....it's upsetting though...the bills are piling up with all these tests and dr visits....we can't afford to pay our deductable at this time because my husband has had a work related injury a few months back and isn't working right now....i might not be able to go back to the specialist until we pay what we owe. also, we now know that our insurrance will not cover IVF at all....i hope they will tell me by phone at least what's wrong with my unterus...i so want to find another job via the internet to make up the income we have lost so that we can pay these bills and get back to buisness!!!....it's such a struggle to get this far and because of money, not get further.....i had my first period since my miscarrige last week...i've been over it for days now and just yesterday i started having a brownish discharge and it turned into red...it's not heavy...just barely spotting...but i'm concerned...what does this mean?...i don't know if i should call the dr...i really don't want another bill i can't pay...things are so difficult!!!
I wouldn't worry about the discharge.  I did that on and off for awhile too.  It eventually goes away.  I can also tell you that my doctor called me on the phone to tell me my results personally and what it meant for me.  Of course he said I had the septum and then we began talking about doing the surgery.  If it is truely  BU they can't do anything about it except try again and hope for the best.  That shouldn't cost you any money.  Did you get pregnant IVF with the last pregnancy?
i've never had IVF...i've gotten pregnant 3 times thus far...my first was 10 1/2 yrs ago when i was only 17....my daughter is 10 yrs old....my second baby was this past june 2007, miscarriaged at 2 weeks...my 3rd baby was this past november/december 2007, miscarriaged at 8 weeks...the drs are figuring out what i have wrong with my uterus in order to try to answer why i'm miscarrying...all the 3 preganacies were conceived naturally....they haven't called to tell me what the results are yet but if it was my guess, i'd say i have a BU...in that case, the dr was going run tests to see which side was more active and thus do IVF but now i can't when the insurance doesn't cover it....the brownish discharge did go away but that scared me for a day or 2!!!
Well it sounds like you have a doctor that is on top of things.  The first dr I had told me if it were BU to go home and try again.  There was never any mention of IVF for me.  I was very upset with that answer.  I did not wish to simply try again and hope for a better resolution.  When she said that I found a new dr. who only told me we needed to figure out what type of issue I had, BU or the septum.  Even thought he septum is worse on the scale from 1-6 I secretly prayed for it b/c at least there was a surgery that could fix it.  When the results from the MRI came back I was happy to find out it was the septum.  At least I know that they can try and leave me with a normal uterus and next time I go home to "try and see what happens" my chances are far better.  Plus the insurance is covering 80% just like any other issue.  Good luck to you.  I'm thinking about you and hoping for the best.  Be sure to let me know what the MRI comes back to say.  Maybe the septum would be best for you too.???  I don't know.

Shannon
I had a very bicornuate uterus and discovered it before wanting to get pregnant. One of the proper studies to see this is the HSG. I had 2 surgeries, the first one with laparoscopy, the second one just from down there. I even went to work the day after, laparoscopy is not a big deal. After the second surgery the doctor said I can forget about it and have a normal pregnancy. I still haven't tried to get pregnant, but I want to share with you that I have a normal uterus now, I've seen it in the HSG!! I hope this brings hope to you!
my husband and i have an appointment with our fertility specialist dr next thursday, the 28th. we're anxious to find out the results! i was disappointed when they told me she would not tell us the results over the phone. i explained that we couldn't afford anymore visits at this time. the dr. considered our situation and said she would not charge us for sitting in her office while she tells us her findings. i was so relieved. i will definately let you know what she tells us.

Adaline
Good luck at your visit!! Your doctor seems very understanding which is great... I wish you all the best. Let Shannon and I knwo how you go.

Monie
xx
This is so weird!!  The 28th is about the same time Monie gets to go see her doctor.  The 28th is the day I got my shot.  They say good things come in three's so I bet it is going to be good news and this doctor sounds like she has a plan.  That is a great start!  Maybe all three of us will get things straight and be pregnant in '08!  I can't wait to hear how it goes.  

Best of luck,
Shannon
thanks...keep your fingers crossed!!!!  as i will do for the both of you!!!
I have been searching for an answer.......Does anyone know how long after getting the Lupron injection I have to wait until I can try to get pregnant again?  I took one shot that was to last for three months and then have surgery.  Just wondering...
Hi there,
Sorry I have no idea...

How did you go at the doctors yesturday?

Monie
xx
well, it looks like i'm going to go through what you are going through, shannon.  i just got the news today...it's 10 pm where i am...i'm tired and need to get up for work in the morning...i will let you guys know lots more tomorrow!!!
Do tell us more and don't worry if you have what I have the septum they CAN FIX IT!  Look at this like it is good news and it will be ok.  I am a few months ahead of you in the process so you have someone you can ask any question too.  

By the way...where do you live?  I am in Ohio and Wakey in Australia.  Isn't is great to have friends who understand you all over the world?

Looking forward to your next post.

Shannon
the day seemed so busy...i finally have the chance to tell everything the dr said. everything is still a bit shocking as all this is very new in my mind. first of all, as we first see her, walking down to her office, she tells me that she found some interesting things about me. not my husband of course, he's is good shape as far as this matter goes. we sit down, she begins to tell me that it has been confirmed that with all the testing i went through, it has shown that i have a septum and not a BU. i must say, shannon, everything i've read here about your situation as helped me to get through everything she thus began to tell me. everything seemed familiar. although, i still have questions in my mind.  she told me about the shots for 3 months (lupron) and the pre-menapalseal state i will be in...once everything is said and done...i should never has an issue with carrying a baby again! and that i will be able to carry and deliver full-term, god-willing, if nothing else should happen....but there's more to this dr visit....

there are other things wrong with me. with all those viles of blood they took that one saterday morning and had to get sent away. she discovered that my body is very low on it's supply of folic acid. she explained that every cell in the human body needs folic acid to live, grow, thrive. because it is so low, she explained that it wouldn't have been too long before my blood started clotting as a result, leading to hardening of the arteries and heart disease. that really scared me to think if fate had not brought me to seek a fertility specialist now, i would probably have been rushed to the hospital years down the road and then it would be too late! she has put me on folic acid pills that i will need to take for the rest of my life! as long as i do that, my blood shouldn't start clotting.

also, she found out that over a hundred anti-bodies are attacking my thyroid...putting holes in my thyriod sotospeach. i will be on thyroids meds for the rest of my life as well!  i had been slightly over my weight that i have been lately, i've had dry skin, i'm always cold, and i'm always tired..these are side effects!

i'm also on b-6 and b-12 vitimans for the rest of my life but it's also to help the pre-natal pills that i'm on...i have a hand full of pills to take every day...

she gave me birth-control pills to take once i get my period, which should be any day now, crossing my fingers that i'm not pregnant this time! my husband and i feel with the other issues going on with me, we'd give it about 2 months.. enough time for the meds to start working on my body, then i would stop the birth-control and start taking the shots to prep me for the surgery!!!

like i said, this is so much for me to even comprehend, i'm overwhelmed with all this news but i know i will be ok...once my head stops spinning...lol

i live in maryland

thanks for all your support!!!
hi im 27 and live in england i was 17 when i found out i had a BU and two cervix and told it would be hard to get preg! well a year later i was and my son is nearly 8 now i had a bleed at 16wk but everything went well he was in my right side as thats the bigger one i have just come back from my wedding and found out im preg its a shock as i was on the pill i found out on mon 18th feb and had a bleed on 20th i had a scan on the 21st and the baby is in my left side this time (im 7wk 4days) iv been put on the sick from work for 2weeks im having pain in my left side i had a bleed again on thur and i cant get in to see  doc at hosp till mon at 9:30 to see if the baby is ok i was told (when i was 17) that if i got preg in my left side   that i wouldnt carry a baby very far has any one else had the same or similar thing happen to them                              

thanks very much sorry its so long    

katie x
I understand fully how you feel.  I may not have the issues with folic acid as you do but I am on the boarder line of being too thin.  They need me to put on some weight before my surgery.  I am at 101 right now and need to put on a few more.  As for the septum, think of it like this...once the surgery and the lupron is all over you will be able to carry to full term and have a normal pregnancy!  I had to wait one month before I could get my shot and it has been one month since the injection, two more to go and then the surgery.  I don't know how long we have to wait to try and conceive after the surgery, wish I did.  But I really hope to be pregnant by the end of this year.  The shot sucks!  For the first month I cried everyday about something and night sweats plague my sleep but it all seems to be subsiding at this point.  I just can't wait for the surgery to come so I can be normal again...My septum is almost a 90% split, there is only a small portion at the bottum that is not attached.  I thank God that at least they can fix what we have.  Don't worry about much, I'll be here for you to ask all your questions to.

In my thoughts,
Shannon
i have been reading your enteries, i too have a BU.  my daughter is 11 months old now, no complications with her but i am now PG with twins in one horn.  have you ever heard of anyone carring twins successfully with BU. i am desperate for answers.

becca
Congratulations!! To hear you have had one successful pregnancy is thrilling news to me!!! Congratulations on your pregnancy with the twins!! I am not sure about  the success rates of carrying twins in one horn... Is it the same side you were pregnant with your daughter? I would see your OB/GYN. You would need to be monitored closely I think... Well let us know how you are going.
Hi there,
Well yuo are sure making progress!! Now you know what you are dealing with and how you can fix the problem. I understand it must all be overwhelming but at least now you know where you are in the journey to having a baby... You are in my thoughts, take care and let us know how you are going.

Monie
xx
Hi Katie,
Congratulations!! I hope everything is ok with the baby... This must be very hard for you..

Take care...
thanks...i'm glad i found someone who is going through something i'm just entering...please let me know how things go with you.
thanks...how are things with you??
Things with me are moving along... I am one week into my treatment, start stimulation (needles) next Friday, not loking forward to that part... Apart from that I am ok so far just some headaches and nausea.

Keep me updated on your progress.

Monie
xx
Viewing 1-200 comments: