MATERNAL & CHILD
COMMUNITY
Bicornuate uterus
by ele111, Dec 04, 2003
I am 6 weeks pregnant and just found out I have a bicornuate uterus. This has been confirmed by 2 different physicians after 2 different ultrasounds, one being a level 2 ultrasound. What they didn't tell me is how severe the split of my uterus is. Is there anyway to diagnose whether the split is partial or complete via ultrasound, maybe 3D? Will my chances of having a live birth be lowered if it is a complete split? What I find particularly odd is that I was pregnant before and had several ultrasounds where nobody noticed this. I had to terminate that pregnancy at 14 weeks due to multiple anomilies (omphalocele, neural tube defects, others). I was told that the baby had no chance of survival. How could they miss the fact that my uterus is bicornuate? One last question: does it matter where the fetus plants itself in a bicornuate uterus? Mine is in the right horn, but they did not say how far up.   I have done tons of reading on this subject but have not found answers to these questions.  Thank you so much for you help. I just really want to know what to expect!
Member Comments (100)
by TanteMilly, Dec 04, 2003
I feel like I am reading my own story. I too found out I have a bicornuate uterus when I first got pregnant back in March. I've had multiple ultrasounds previously but it was never noticed. As far as my doctor tells me, it is hard to detect and some women won't know until a doctor is performing surgery or a c-section for a breech baby. I too lost a baby at 19 weeks that had an severe giant omphalocele ( this is so bizarre that both of us have both unrelated things - and that one has no bearing on the other). I am again pregnant (like you) but am 14 weeks along with the baby  up in the right horn. My doctor is considering me high risk but also says that many women with a bicornuate uterus deliver happy healthy babies, we just have a higher rate of early delivery and/or the need for a c-section due to the baby being breech. As far as where the baby is implanted, as long as it is not on the septum, things are generally good (it wouldn't get enough nutrients to support growth). And as far as carrying, only time can tell how big your "half" of a uterus where the baby is will stretch before it says, time to have this baby. I'm still in shock to  be reading your post. Please keep in touch and let me know how things go and how your doctor handles your situation. But we do have good chances of carrying healthy babies.

Shelley
by ele111, Dec 04, 2003
Thank you for your post.  I am not alone!  How very odd that we have had such a similar experience.  I was also told during the last pregnancy that it was a giant and severe omphalocele.  That is a 1 in 10,000 occurance.  Since nobody knows what causes omphaloceles and bicornuate uteri are often unreported or unnoticed, maybe it is more likely that women with uterine abnormalities have babies with this birth defect.  Possibly it could happen due to lack of blood supply (on the septum like you mentioned) or maybe we produce a few more bad eggs than those without uterine abnormalities.  I did read somewhere that those with uterine abnormalities are more likely to have babies with birth defects.  Maybe someday we will have all the  answers!  More studies will need to be done.  Until then, please let me know how it goes for you and I will do the same.  I have an appointment with a new doc on the Monday after next and I will post any new info I get.  Best of luck to you!
by HopeinAl, Dec 04, 2003
Hey i'ts disheartening to find out you have a bicornate uterus. Mine was detected quite a few years ago after 2 micariages. Ihad a test called hysterosalphingogram or hsg for short. they run a radiopaque dye into your reproductive system. When I was pregnant with my son, i lost him at 19 weeks. Don't know why, there's was nothing wrong with him. any way i went to the complications clinic at UAB and they told my he was implanted midline, not in a horn. they said that was good. but i still lost. I'ts been very hard to deal with this. i alos have ahd a hard time getting pregnant. ususally taking at least one year to concieve, however this time i haveonly had 2 periods since my last miscarriage in aug. now I'm 5 weeks and praying that God will bring this child forth in spite of my uterus. I'm sorry you having to deal with this. most stories you read on the internet are not good. i stopped reading them. like shelley said though, there are many many women who go on to have healthy babies. HOpe
by TanteMilly, Dec 04, 2003
Hi Hope - I'm still praying for you that this pregnancy is the one you've been praying for!!! I meant to post earlier at how much I appreciate you sharing your losses and experiences with everyone. You are so open about it and it does help everyone else. And your faith is unstoppable. I just needed to say that.

So I wish everyone with a bicornuate uterus the best of luck. Let's keep each other posted and keep the words on encouragement going. I know that I need it...

Thanks!
Shelley
by englwsc03, Dec 04, 2003
just a quckie - how are "bicornuate uteri" and "double uteri" similar? are they the same thing?
by TanteMilly, Dec 04, 2003
Oh Thank-You Kellie - that is encouraging!!
Shelley
by JustME9, Dec 04, 2003
I just wanted to encourage you my dear friend has a bicornuate uterus.  She had several miscarriages, two healthy babies, another two miscarriages and she just delivered another beautiful healthy baby girl a few weeks ago! My thoughts are with you guys! Kellie =)
by ele111, Dec 05, 2003
Sometimes the 2 are confused.  A bicornuate uterus can be heart shaped or almost a complet split, but the bottom part of the uterus is together.  When you say "double" uterus, you might be referring to uterus didelphys. That is when there are 2 separate uteri and sometimes to separate cervix.  In most of the cases, a septus separates the vagina into 2 parts.  I guess this one is pretty easy to diagnose if the septum in the vagina is present.  If you want more info here's a good site:  http://www.dyspareunia.org/html/uterine_abnormality.htm

Hope this helps!

Eboni L.
by HopeinAl, Dec 06, 2003
Hey sweetie thanks for your sweet post. After everything that's happened to me, if I can help somebody at least some good came out of it.. know what i mean?? i got a good feeling about this one. Ihave bben realy nauseated.. but I'm not complaining!!! anyway, I'll keep you  informed on myself and you do the same!! Hope