Maternal & Child Community
Birth Control Pill during 3 months waiting after miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had a missed miscarriage in November, I went for a routine 12 week prenatal visit and no heartbeat was doppled, I then had an ultrasound which showed a 7 week baby with no heartbeat. I scheduled for a d & C for a week later, but ended up miscarring at home before the surgery. After the miscarriage, my Doctor stressed that it was very important for us not to get pregnant for 3 months. She said we should use a reliable birth control, and thought the birth control pill was a better option than condoms, because condoms only work if you use them of course. One of the nice things about being married, is not having to use condoms anymore, so I decided to use the birth control pill. Now after a month on the pill, I really don't want to take it for the entire three. I just want my body to be natural and do what it would without any hormones before we try to get pregnant again. Has anyone else had a miscarriage, used birth control pills, and then had a successful pregnancy afterward? I got pregnant my first month off last time, next time we try, I sort of want to be off a month or two before we try, just in case it might make a difference in the pregnancy outcome.
I personally got pregnant after 2 cycles after my first D&C and miscarriage. The doc said to wait 3 but we started early. My baby was fine and it was healthy as can be.
This 2nd D&C and miscarriage I was told (by a diff doc) that I only need to wait one cycle because there was nothing they saw or saw in the tests that show I cannot go on to have a healthy pregnancy again (I have 2 boys and I have been pregnant 4 times)
I have known people to get pregnant sooner, not always a good idea but there's nothing except a different doctors opinions saying to wait.
I had a friend who went on bcp and it took a good 2 months to get preg again after stopping taking them but I have also heard of people getting preg right away and there baby's be fine too.
I never heard of a doc telling you to go on them right after a miscarriage but maybe someone else can give you better advise.....
GOOD LUCK!!
I got pregnant one cycle after a D&C.  As the person before me said, it's hard to give advice not knowing why your doctor stressed waiting 3 months.  However, I can tell you that with my first pregnancy, I went off the pill, and was told it would probably take 3 months to get pregnant.  I conceived 2 weeks later, not even a full cycle after I stopped taking the pill.  I now have a beautiful, healthy, smart 2 year old.  Getting pregnant right after the pill should not cause any harm to the pregnancy.
Hard to give sound advice without knowing your docs exact reasons for wanting you to wait.  Most times, a woman is advised to wait 3 months to let her cycle regulate and to give her time to grieve and recover emotionally.  

There are many women on the forum who will share their experiences of conceiving right after a miscarriage.  There is nothing about the pill that would interfere with a normal pregnancy if you conceived soon after stopping.  Your first post pill ovulation could be irregular though.

I am sorry for your loss.
I just had a miscarriage myself.  Same as another poster...I had gone in for my 12 week check up at 12.5 weeks and the babies heartbeat was illusive.  They sent me into the ultrasound room and the baby was measuring 8 weeks.  This was on a Friday and I started bleeding a little on Saturday and miscarried on Sunday.  Full blow contractions and labor pains.  It was pretty terrible.  My doctor also says to wait 3 months but most doctors only recommend that in order for your period to return to a regular schedule so that they can properly date your next pregnancy and due date.  

However, I have recently heard that previous use of birth control pills and the amount of time that you have been off of them prior to getting pregnant can possibly cause you to miscarry.  This is the first that I have ever heard that and I cannot seem to find any undisputable evidence that this can be the case.  Can anyone enlighten me in this area?  I was off the pill for about 2-3 months prior to trying to get pregnant and I was taking prenatal vitamins for that time frame.  However, I was also on Phentermine diet pills to lose some weight prior to getting pregnant.
I also recently miscarried at 10 weeks (baby only measured 7 weeks and no heartbeat).  I had previously been on the pill for 12 consecutive years and got pregnant right after going off of them.  I am convinced that the pill had something to do with my miscarriage and my Dr. agrees.  
I am also convinced that my long term use of the pill before I got pregnant was the contributing factor to my miscarrige. I only made it to 8 week and am currently miscarrying - I am at around 13 weeks.

My situation is very similar to the above mentioned - I went for my first ultrasound, there was no heart beat and I actually started bleeding right at the appointment. Has anyone seen any documentation to support my theory that long term pill use may contribute to early miscarrige in the first preganancy?
I too had 2 miscarriages within 2009 and had D&C with both, I was advised to use the pill for 3 consecutive months. I was told that if I got pregnant any sooner than 3 months from my miscarriages is elevates the risk of me having another miscarriage. With the recent pregnancy I lost I got pregnant after a week of getting off birth control I was put on Clomid to stimulate ovulation. This entire thing confuses me I tried accupunture but was told by the accupunturist the results would be hard to tell because I was on the pill. I agree with you by letting the body heal naturally what is meant to be will be. Saying that I am not going to take my prescribed birth control pills that I am suppose to start tomorow.
I never thought I would have to put in so much work to get pregnant when I think about all those years before I was married when I tried to prevent pregnancy. Good Luck
God Bless.
I had my a miscarriage naturally 2 months ago, and haven't gotten my period yet. I also haven't had sex because I'd like for my period to return without the nervousness of being pregnant or not being pregnant. SO, with that being said, can i start taking birth control pills, to bring my period? I'd like to see my period again, as strange as that may sound. I want normalcy before I try again. ANyone know if I can take bc pills to induce my period? If so, about how long would I need to take them before seeing my period. Would it just be the three active pill weeks, and then my period would come during the last placebo pill week??? Any suggestions?