Maternal & Child Community
Birth control HAIR LOSS!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Birth control HAIR LOSS!!!

I'm having issues with hair loss. After having my first baby in dec of 2007, I got on the birth control shot(Deprovera) & things where going pretty good til I STOPPED the shot, now my hair is falling out. I mean major hair loss all over my head(mostly around the egdes & back)! My last shot was back in mid April. I've been off it (the shot) for about 10 weeks now. Guess I'm in the clearing-out phase. What is going on? Is this normal? How long will it last? Will I go bald?????????

PEASE HELP!
Well I know with Depo that can be a side effect, but you said it started after you have been off the shot?? I know after your not pregnant anymore and your hormones are starting to get back to normal you will experience hair loss. I am going through that now and I am 4 months post partum. It sounds like your hair loss was probably delayed because you got the shot and now that it is coming out of your body, your hair is doing what is normal after pregnancy. Don't worry it will stop eventually. I am losing mine like crazy now, its gross I keep finding my long hairs everywhere!!! It was nice when I was preggo, I hardly saw any hair.....your body holds on to everything while pregnant!! I doubt you will go bald!
I agree totally with four paws.  You may develop bald spots on the sides of your head, but it will all grow back.  
I had my baby in Dec and I am still losing hair.  It is so annoying, I am suprised I am not bald yet.  So I bet it was delayed by the shot.  Eventually it will stop but I dont think I will ever get back to my pre-pregnancy hair weight!  LOL