Maternal & Child Community
Birth control and marijuana

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Birth control and marijuana

I was wondering if it was okay to smoke marijuana and/or drink alcohol while you are on birth control... i was told that it wasnt okay by a friend, but i wasnt sure. If anyone knows anything i would appriciate it, thank you.
I am not sure about marijuana, but I have heard from a lot of people that drinking on the pill will make it less effective. I am not a dr. but I have had alot of people tell me that.
I think Marijuana hasnt really been tested or been proven to have adverse effects on BC or Pregnancy and also they havent even been proven either way to be honest so its like a game of roulette. Good LUCK!
hey,
     I know that smoking can cause heart attacks and high blood pressure while on the Bc pill.. you can read it on the box of your pills or on the "things not to do while on the pill" or the risks of being on the pill.. you can also ask your doctor and he would tell you that..I wouldnt recomend smoking while on the pill.. Im not to sure about drinking while on the pill but I know it probably wouldnt be to good to mix and it could have and effect on the pill..

~*chloe*~
I know that smoking can affect BC so I would think that marijuna would also affect it.
I was on the pill for 10 years, and drank socially throughout that time.  I never got pregnant, but became pregnant after only two months off of the pill.  So, I don't think drinking has a great effect on the pill.  I know my gyn. always asked me about how much I drank when I went to my yearly, and never said that I should stop drinking.  As far as smoking anything...the risks for health problems are much greater for smoking when on the pill.