Maternal & Child Community
Biting fingernails in a 19 month old?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Biting fingernails in a 19 month old?

Jameson has started biting his nails! He is only 19 months old! I always thought that nail-biting was a nervous habit, or done out of stress. But this is the most pampered, loved, cherished baby in the world with this huge family of mine!! LOL so i dont know what to think. He seems to do it when bored or sedentary though---like in the car seat, or when watching Blues Clues in his mini recliner.:)

Any one else with a nail-biter at this young of an age?
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
167_tn?1374177417
Brody bites his nails on occasion as well. I think it's cute! It makes you wonder why they start doing it at that little age. Brody is pampered and cherished majorly in our home as well, so I don't think it's due to stress or nerves. I think it's just something they discover and enjoy (:
Blank
163557_tn?1244116542
Kaedon started biting his nails at 18 months...I couldn't believe it! I think it was when he was bored.  Who woulda thought they would start so young?  I wonder if he was copying me..or my husband even!  oops.  :)  I think it only lasted about a month or 2 though.  He's 23 months now, and I haven't noticed it lately.
Blank
287246_tn?1318573663
My oldest daughter (who is now 7) started biting her nails VERY early.  I mean as soon as she realized she had them, she was biting them.  I have never had to cut her nails.  She still does and my guess is she always will.  Then my 2nd daughter (who is 6), has nails that get very long.  I actually have to cut them.  IDK....Maybe its sort of kind of something that is pre-determined??  Maybe that sounds stupid.  I have no idea.  I know I am a nail biter too though.  My son, didn't.  My 3rd daughter bites her nails.  She just turned 4 and I have even caught her trying to bite her toenails.  Gross!  I almost think she does that one to get my attention because she sure thinks it's funny when I tell her to stop.  My baby will be 2 next month.  I have to say, I have never noticed but I never have to cut her nails.

I did hear once (which makes sense), that if a parent bites their child's nails (instead of cutting them w/ clippers) the child will most likely be a nail biter.  But I have never done that.  I have always used clippers if they needed it.  I don't understand biting the child's nails versus using clippers but I know some people do it.

Blank
127529_tn?1331844380
My oldest is a nail biter, it started with just his thumb nails when he was about 20 months old, now he bites them all; very very short. I am a nail biter, so is my husband, maybe it's genetics!! My younger son doesn't at all, his nails grow really long really fast.
Blank
162279_tn?1270604959
Neither my husband or I bite our nails, but a couple of my children do. So maybe he has seen them doing it and is copying them. Thanks ladies!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...