Maternal & Child Community
Bleeding after D

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bleeding after D

I had an ultrasound on 8/3/04 (at 12 weeks) which showed my baby had died about 3 weeks earlier.  Had a D&C the next day, and had minimal bleeding and moderate cramps.  5 days later, I had severe cramps and began passing clots the size of prunes.  This lasted for 2 days.  Bleeding has been on and off ever since - some days I have nothing, but others, I get brown stuff that looks gross.  It's been almost 4 weeks since the D&C, and I am frustrated.  Dr. says that everything looks fine, but I don't feel "fine."  I want to conceive ASAP, but until I get 2 normal periods, I have to wait (according to my dr.)  My HCG levels are dropping very slowly, and I go every week to have them checked.  I want to know how long other women have had to wait until the "brown stuff" stopped coming out, and a normal period began.  I just want to be pregnant again.  This would have been our first, and we are desperately ttc again.  Any stories would be appreciated.  Thanks for listening.  Christine
I had an ultrasound around the same time in my pregnancy which showed the same thing and had a d&c.  I had the huge clots about 4 or 5 days later, and bled only about a week.  I got my period again about 5 and a half weeks after the d&c, but everyone is different.  I think it's normal to bleed for a month like you have, although that must be terrible for you.  Have patience about trying again until you are emotionally ready to - I felt the same way you do, and I'm glad I waited.  I had two periods in between the d&c and my current pregnancy - I'm about 2 months along now.  I'm so sorry for your loss - be patient with yourself and your partner - I know how hard it can be.
I bled for more than 2 months after my miscarriage.  On the 5th week, it stopped but it came back after a few days.  I have fibroid and after suffering for more than a month of bleeding, my gyne determined that the fibroid cause the bleeding to continue. I had UFE(Uterine Fibroid Embolization) 3 weeks ago and right after the procedure, I stopped bleeding.

My HCG went down so slowly. Only after 2 months then it came down to 0.
I'm going through the same thing right now.  I had an Ultrasound at 12 weeks where we found the fetus was measuring at 8-9 weeks and was not viable.  I had a D & C two days later, started lightly bleeding a week after for two weeks.  Stopped for a week and now I'm on day two of some really heavy bleeding.  I've soaked through 4 pads in 12 hours.  Thinking there is something wrong I called my doctor, who told me this was normal...I hate the word normal...nothing about this should be normal...I want to know what went wrong but was told they won't look into anything on the first miscarriage...I'm terrified to try again, I don't know what to do, I feel like something is wrong and everyone just keeps saying it's normal....
I hate the word normal too. I feel like my body is so messed up from my misscarriage. I too have bleeding on and off. It's so hard because one minute I thin i'm getting my period and then the bleeding stops. There is nothing normal about any of this. It has been 3 weeks since my d and c and I just wish everything would get back to normal. I too want to concieve (conceive) asap but it's heart breaking every time I start to bleed.
Hi ladies.  I've had 3 D & C's.  It's such a horrible thing.  My first one - I had "brown" discharge for 4 weeks, so I called my Dr, who sent me for an Ultrasound.  After 2 more ultrasounds, measurements of HCG, and much deliberation, it was discovered that I had "retained product".  During the discovering process, the brown discharged, turned into periodic heavy bleeding, accompanied by very large blood clots - the size of a Roma tomato.  I had to go in for a 2nd D &C.  This time I spotted for 2 & half weeks, and got my period 3 weeks later.  I'm currently recovering from my 3rd D & C, and it's been 2 weeks of spotting.  I'm hoping it will stop soon - we also desperately want to be pregnant.  All you ladies who your doctor told you it's "normal" to have heavy bleeding - please know that it's NOT normal.  My OBGYN told me if my bleeding turns heavy and clotting occurs, I need to see him ASAP.  Please take care of yourselves.  
I'm in the same boat... had a missed miscarriage at 10 weeks...the baby stopped growing at 6 weeks.  I am currently 6 weeks post D&C and had my period 2 weeks ago like clockwork...the brown gook keeps coming out of me just when I wipe on a daily basis...sometimes even larger brown chunks of stuff.  I called my Dr. today they asked me to take a PG test tomorrow morn. call them with the results and schedule an ultrasound with them during the week to see if there is any residule stuff left in me to be taken out in a repeat D&C.  All of your comments gave me the idea to demand a blood test to test my HCG levels now, I want to see where I'm at.  Recovering from all of this is not an over-night thing and NO ONE informed me of any of this.  I am a mess!
I'm sorry for what you are going through. I'm sure a lot of women, including myself, know exactly what you are going through. I had a D&C at seven weeks last year and bled on and off for nearly a month. The flow was heavy at first, but then lightened up,  then finally went a way altogether. Almost a month after I stopped bleeding, my period came and were regular after that. My doctor also told me to wait 2 cycles to try again. I know it can be tough, but try to be patient with yourself and your body. From what my doctor said, there should NOT be clots and such as that is product and the D&C should have removed all of that. If you have clots, I would suggest calling your doctor ASAP as not everything may have been removed and that could cause infections.
I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks. My ultrasound showed the baby was only measuring 7 wks and no longer had a heartbeat. The doctor did a d & e the following day. I had little bleeding until about 5 days after and then I began to pass clots that would fill a pad in 10 mins. I went back to my doctor and she admitted me to the hospital ASAP and did another d & c. She said sometimes there are parts of conception left and the body rejects it by trying to pass the parts by heavy bleeding. I am still in the hospital because of my hemoglobin levels but am bouncing back fast. It is dangerous to let your blood levels drop beyond a certain point so it is VERY important to get checked just to be safe! Good luck to everyone and I hope everything works out.
I had a m/c on June 4th.  Had a d&c a week later.  I bled only for a couple of days very lightly.  Then AF showed up 5 weeks later.  Got pregnant a second time in July.  On November 6, had to deliver our baby because his heart had stopped again (Turns out the baby had cleft pallate).  I continued to bleed and pass blood clots every now and then for 3 1/2 weeks later.  Just got out of my second d&c on Dec.2.  I am now feeling alot better.  The morning cramping has stopped and am just bleeding a little.  I had a silver dollar size piece of product left over from the pregnancy.  I think the bleeding does vary slightly, but if it continues on for several weeks there is definitaly something wrong.  
I had an ultrasound last Tuesday and found out our baby was measuring 9weeks 4 days and I was actually 10 weeks 4 days. I had a D&C the next morning. My dr. told me that I would probably see some tissue b/c he did not want to clean me out 100% b/c it would cause scar tissue, causing future pregnancy to be difficult or non-existent. I have been bleeding since the surgery but only lightly. I started seeing the dark brown bleeding for about 2 days now. It's really gross but today along with the dark stuff I also have new bright red blood. I can feel my uterus contracting a lot as it is returning to "normal" from what my dr. tells me. This was my 1st pregnancy and I am emotionally getting through this. I have a peace about it today but the last week has been quite difficult, to say the least. I'm praying that the bleeding stops soon. My dr. told me it's normal to bleed for 1-2 weeks. He told me to wait 3 months before we try to conceive again. Like others, it is hard to expect the best when we've already been through the worst. But we are trying to remain optimistic as God is our refuge in life, both the good and the bad.
We call our baby "our beloved" since we don't the know sex.
Hello everyone , I love reading these threads cause it makes me feel so much better.. I'm pretty new and trying to cope myself, me and my husband have been trying to concieve (conceive) for about a year, and finally I became pregnant on Jan 18 we was so excited that we told everyone ( it was our first) on Feb 12 I noticed tissue when I went to the bathroom, I called the obgyn just to ask her a question she instructed me to go to the hospital,  feeling ok about things I went and had a u/s to find out that the baby had died and was no longer there... They set me up for a d&c 2 days later... After d&c i got really sick the next day moderate bleeding..the day after that I only had spotting now 3 days later brownish stuff... Iam already wanting this to end i feel disqusting, Have anyone ever recovered in a month and started there period???
With my first m/c I had a d&C and my period was back three weeks later....we however put off ttc at first because of the pain and trauma from the m/c.....
Last year we found out we were pregnant again.....this time i stayed pregnant until the 22nd week, and had a premature birth, in which the baby girl died hours after birth....the doctor did another D&C......it has been four weeks since that D&C, and I stopped bleeding after two weeks completely, but the last 4-5 days i have had a medium blood loss once or twice a day.....not really spotting as it is heavy enough to soak through my underwear to my pants....it only happens once or twice a day, and is not continual bleeding......we have been ttc the last two weeks since i initially stopped bleeding, so i don't know if it is AF, or maybe implementation bleeding, or some other reason.....

Best of luck to you all.....be patient....make sure you not ony stop bleeding but that you check with doctor to make sure uterus is back to "normal" (yes I HATE that word too), that you do not have any infection left over from D&C, etc.....take care of yourself....
Hi I have read all the comments and have been experiencing much the same thing!! I had a d&c on 7th of jan and 3 months later I am still bleeding!! I feel totally messed up my body does not feel normal and I am so emotional all the time.....Is this ever going to end because I cant put up with much more of it....Back to the doc's on tues yet again!!!
i'm so glad i found this forum.  i had a d&c for my 5th m/c almost 2 wks ago.  3 of them were natural, 1 was induced labor at almost 5 months b/c the baby died. a girl- we named her Kathryn.  this was the first time i needed a d&c. i'm so angry with the lack of info. my dr. gave me.  he said it would be like a light period after for a week or less.  the day of the d&c i was in so much pain i couldn't stand up or get out of the car.  3 days after i was doubled over in pain and passing gobs and gobs of clots and stuff.  bleeding finally tapered off.  now today i'm achy and bleeding again!  i am really frustrated.  but now i see after reading the other posts that it's not as clean and neat as the dr. made it all out to be.  i'm apparently not the only one not "normal."  little 109- hang in there.  you're in my prayers.
Like everyone of you who has gone through this before me, it is a welcome relief to find a forum like this so you realize you're not a bizarre medical case. I went in for an US at 14 weeks and found out that it had no heartbeat and had stopped developing at 8 weeks. I had a D&C a few days later. Like most of what I'm hearing from these posts, I was told a regular period would follow but this is not regular at all.
Right after the surgery, the bleeding was soo minimal that I thought I'd actually finish earlier than usual. Then spotting persisted and that turned into the gross brown guck everyone is talking about. I am now7 weeks after the surgery and it hasn't stopped. There are days when I see nice red blood which makes me think I'm starting my real period and that will be over in 5 days, but within a day or two it disappears and I'm back to brown. This has happened several times already.  What's worse, turns out this was partial molar pregnancy which is another issue on its own and means we need to wait 6 months before trying again.
Thanks for everyone who posted. Makes me feel better reading this.
I am in the SAME BOAT with you!  So nice to read your post (well, I guess nice isn't exactly the correct word.  I hate to hear you are going through this as well, but it's just nice to know someone else is going through the same stuff.)  I went in for an US at 10 weeks and baby had stopped growing at 5.  I was hesitant about getting the D and C, but glad I did.  After they tested the tissue, I also came back with a partial molar diagnosis.  I really felt I had handled the issue of the miscarriage and D and C fairly well, but then when I was told I had to have bloodwork done for the next 6 months, I was like, are you kidding me??  This is like the never ending pregnancy that never really was!  I'm so ready for this to be over!  I had my D and C on April 23, and I STILL have discharge every day.  I suppose I should call my doctor about it, but looks like I'm not alone.  A few weeks ago, I had red bleeding come back, that I didn't know if it was my period or not.  I'm so confused--how is it that I don't know if it was my period or not?  I never had any bloating or cramps, and I really only had red for the first few hours of the day, and it only lasted like 5 or 6 days.  So that's why I'm confused.  Now today I have red again in the morning and now back to brown and I question yet again if this is my period.  ???  I'm so ready to be "normal" again and not be wearing a pad every gosh darn day.  Fortunately I just got my 3rd blood draw come back negative, so now I can get checked once a month for the next 6 months.  Who knew that a pregnancy can turn into something that can be cancerous??   It's difficult since I'd like to try again too and now have to wait at least that long.  I fortunately already have 2 boys, but would like to give them a sibling sometime in the near future.  Good luck to you, and let's hope in 6 months we will both be on track for adding to our families. :)
I had a miscarriage on 2/2/05 at 5 1/2 weeks, due to extremely heavy bleeding I had a d & c the following day, had no bleeding or cramping at all with normal periods within weeks.   I again miscarried on 7/19/10 at 7 weeks, i have had my hcg levels checked 5 times, they have been dropping I have gone from over 4000 to just over 1500.  Today I say my OB/GYN and she has decided to have a D & C done on Monday since the levels are dropping so slowly.   I know everyone and every pregnancy can be different but I am hoping that the bleeding will end on Monday and normal cycles resume, I am ready  to try again asap.....best of luck to everyone...
I am glad to find this forum as it makes it easier on me to know that i am not alone. I missed my period on June 26 and did HPT the follwoing wednesday and another at the clinic on thursday and they were both positive. Friday i had some heavy bleeding and was admitted to the hospital. Had an ultrasound done the following thursday and the dr said she only saw blood in my uterus and nothing in the tubes.  I had a D&C on July 27 and started bleeding 3 days after and it hasn't stopped since and today is August 20th. I have done 2 urine pg tests since and they have been both positive (weakly). I am awaiting results on a HCG count. Each morning the blood that has pooled in my uterus comes out in the morning and for the past 2 mornings nothing has pooled..it has been brown stuff. This morning brown stuff pooled and came out. I am really at my wits ends and want this to just end. I have never had such a hard time with a D&C before. But at least i am not abnormal. Thanks for letting me share my story.
i didn't "miscarry"... my son was still-born in my shower. let me re-phrase... he fell out of me in the shower. i was 15 weeks, 5 days and he measured at exactly that (i felt him move that morning). they called it a "spontaneous miscarriage" and said they had never heard of this happening, but wouldn't do any testing because it was my first "miscarriage" and i already have an 8 year old daughter i carried to term and had a natural childbirth with (no pain meds). this only leads me to believe that i must have been doing something wrong. anyway, not all of the afterbirth came out, so they induced labor. when that didn't work, they did the D&C (i was losing a lot of blood; blood count was extremely low and so was pressure). nothing was really explained to me and as soon as i peed, they told me to leave. since then, i've had on and off bleeding, both heavy and light (sometimes nothing at all), once it was brownish and just now i peed and there was nothing but blood in the toilet (like the water was literally red and my pad completely soaked). i've been having odd-random pains.. some like cramps, others like a knife stabbing me in the uterus... ugh... i don't want to go thru this again, so i'm actually hoping something IS wrong just so i can have all of my insides taken out... here's to hoping i don't die before then, i guess... (currently accepting the "worst mother in the world" award)
I found out i was prg at 7wks on my 3rd child, i was trying for a yr because my weight kept dropping so i was happy when i found out i was preg, I went on a cramping trip 2 wks later felt bolted and had back pain and a light cramp didnt take any notice cause thats wht happened on my 2 per preg, but just at 12 plus 2 days i had a bleed and felt dizzy, went to a&e they done a csan cudnt see anything then they done an enternal found my baby had died at 8wks that the heart didnt fuction prob, 2 day later i had a d&c, they kept me in over night then 14days later i was still bleeding very red and in bad pain couldnt do anything went back to hospital they told me there was bits of the placents left so they booked me for another d&c that was 4 wks ago and im gtting the odd bit of bleeding back in the mornings dont kn weather its a period or not bk to hospital in a wk so i hope i find out everything is ok to try again cause i do want to try asap.this is a grt sight we learn that more of us women r going trough the same thing,
Just found out 2day that i mc because i havepartial molar preg my hcg levels are 950 so they r doing bloods every 2 wks, does anyone out there know wht this molar preg means? i got scared when the dr said it could turn out to be cancer:( i cant try to gt preg for another 6 to 12 months. would be gret help if i could get some answers!!!
Hello all. I was diagnosed with a complete molar pregnancy. I had a D&C on 9/29 and it was confirmed. This is definitely the one that never ends.The oncologists expects to see me through April. My HCG levels have been going down, but there have been complications. 17 days post D&C I started gushing blood and went to the ER. They said my uterus wasn't staying clamped down. I took meds for 3 days.

The bleeding would get light, moderate, back to light and even heavy again. I almost had a return trip to the ER but it got better the next morning.

I have been spotting the last few days and thought I was finally nearing the end.

Now, almost 6 weeks post D&C, I've started gushing again and the cramps are awful. Not sure what's going on but I'm seeing the dr in the am.

Anyone with a molar pregnany, please feel free to contact me for support. I've been writing about my journey occasionally a bit about it in my parenting blog at www.fromthemommyfiles.com. You can contact me through the blog.

I'm sorry we all have to be here. Sorry for your loss.

Maria
I, too, am glad to have found this site.  This world went from non-existent to overwhelming.  I can't believe there's so many of us - and before my m/c I had never heard of any of this!  I was prego for 18 weeks - at my ultrasound they told me my baby had no heartbeat, and that I'd had a missed m/c around 14 weeks.  I delivered the baby at home later that night, but had to have an emergency d&c when I passed out on my bathroom floor from bloodloss.  I bled for 6 weeks, but I knew something wasn't right at around 2-3 weeks - I also bled heavier in the a.m., and got the brown gook.  Finally at 7 weeks post d&c, my OB did a prego test and ultrasound & found there was still a 4cm piece of placenta attached & living.  I had a second d&c 3 days ago, and the bleeding started out as spotting and is getting heavier again.  Will this ever end?!  It was hard enough having a m/c out of the blue, then delivering him at home - now this just won't end.  I just can't stand the term "normal" one more time.  I have two healthy children at home - this was so unexpected.  It's been hard on all of us - I just want it to end so I can heal both mentally & physically.  I hope others find this site so they, too, can know their not alone.  Thanks for all of your comments, and my prayers go out to you all.
After going through the craziness of everyday life and thinking that you have hit your most stressful, you experience a miscarriage.  After going through something like this, everything else seems so minor.
I had a d and c October 28th, found out 2 days before that the baby stopped growing at 9 weeks 6 days and had no heartbeat.  I was physically okay after the d and c and was up and going within the week.  Its almost 3 weeks and the last week or so I am back to feeling sore and crampy and bleeding.  Based on the all the posts I am reading this bleeding on and off business can last for some time, but at what point do you call your doctor.  When does it become "abnormal"?

Stay strong ladies!
First off, I am so sorry for your loss.  You are definitely not alone.  Secondly, if there's anything we've all learned, it's that nothing is "normal".  We've each had different experiences, and each of our experiences differ from our "normal" cycles, making them seem even more abnormal!  I can tell you, now after my 2nd D&C in 8 weeks, that if things are getting worse & not better, they're not "normal".  If you have a good Dr., calling at anytime shouldn't be an issue.  Ask to talk to a nurse and get their opinion.  I experienced the same thing you're going through, and it turns out 7 weeks after my first D&C I had to have a second because they missed a 4 cm piece of the placenta.  My bleeding never stopped for more than overnight, and my cramps never went away.  I feel much better now, and the bleeding is down to a trickle.  I am still experiencing some on & off cramping, but that's part of the healing process.  It's a hard call to make, and I suggest calling your Dr. just to see what he/she says.  My prayers go to you and your family...
I just had a d and c on Nov. 16th.  The day before, I went in to my ob-gyn for my 2nd ultrasound (at 8 1/2 weeks).  I had my first one at 6 1/2 wks, and there was a heartbeat.  About a week before I went back in, I started bleeding a bit, and had a bad feeling.  The 2nd u/s revealed there was no more heartbeat.  I was in pain the day of the d and c, but was sent home with 3 days worth of anti-biotics and blood clotters.  Now that I have finished all of the medicine, I am starting to have the dark discharge as many of you have described.  Going to monitor it.  Thank you all for sharing - I also feel comfort in finding this forum.  I had never known miscarriages were so common until I experienced one and started researching.  It was my first pregnancy and hopefully the next one will be a success.  Good luck to you all.
I had my first OB appointment on the 17th of November when I was 10 weeks. We found out that the pregnancy had stopped progressing about 4 or 5 weeks earlier. I had no pain or signs of bleeding. My D&C was performed 5 days later. My bleeding was initially light & got heavier with cramping too. Like you, it was my first pregnancy and I didn't realise either that miscarriages were so common. Apparently though, women fall pregnant again (successfully) quite quickly after a D&C. It seems then there is some hope. This experience has also been more emotionally draining than I anticipated.
Im read through all of these comments and like some one said its comforting to know others have gone/are going through the same as you.  I miscarried on labor day of last year, they didnt do a d&c because the dr. Thougt she had pulled everything out.  4 days later i returned to the er due to my extremely heavy bleeding and pain, turns out i was passing the placenta, it wasnt until then that they gave me a d&c.  I had one normal period late nov., i had sex a few days after and have been bleeding since.  Its now over a month that ive been bleeding, sometimes light other times heavy, ive noticed tough recently i have been passing blood clots reasonbly large ones, i have also been having morning sickness, food disgusts me and im always tired, i feel like im pregnant again but thats not possible due to my lack of sexual activity, i called my gyno and she said hold off that its normal but it cannot be since i miscarried in Sept.!!
Im worried, and im loosing it, seems like it wasnt enough loosing my baby, im reminded of this everyday..if anyone has had the same or has some advice please post it..its more then welcomed!!
Just a quick background on me (and update) - I had a missed miscarriage found at 18 weeks - I had lost the baby around week 14 - and I delivered at home.  My son fit in my left hand.  It was VERY emotionally draining.  I did not deliver the placenta at that time, and shortly after started bleeding heavily.  Long story short, I ended up with an emergency D&C because they couldn't stop the bleeding and my hemoglobin crashed from 13 to 7 in a matter of hours.  After that D&C, my dr. let me continually bleed for another 8 weeks, insisting it was normal - but I was having pregnancy symptoms and I knew nothing was "right" or "normal" about what I was experiencing.  Sure enough, my hCG levels at 10 weeks post-miscarriage was back over 100 - indicating a pregnancy of about 4 weeks.  NOT possible - let me tell you.  They did another ultrasound & found a 2" mass in my uterus - welcome to D&C #2.  On my 2 week follow-up after my 2nd D&C, my numbers were still up - and I was diagnosed with placenta accreta (sp?!).  It's where the placenta grows through the uterus (kind of like a pore - so when they do the D&C, they can't get all of the growing placenta b/c it's embedded into the uterus itself).  I had to go a round of a chemical similar to chemotherapy called methotrexate.  It sucked - but it killed all of the growing tissue.  My hCG levels are finally 0 - but I still have a dead mass of tissue the size of a golf ball in my uterus that will hopefully pass on it's own by Thursday or I'm facing yet another surgery - this time laproscopically through my tummy so the dr. doesn't have to go in blind.  Placenta accreta is rare, but happens - and I'm glad my Dr. works with a good team and wasn't afraid to consult with specialists to diagnose me - and I've been their guinea pig ever since.  But it has been over 3 months of this and God bless the new year with hope for a better one!  My best to you - and stay strong!
I can't tell you how grateful I am for this line for this thread.  It saved me.  

At 16.5 weeks, I went for my amnio.  During the pre-amnio ultrasound, they found no heartbeat.  Our miracle baby was gone.  The next day, I had a D & C.  There were complications, my uterus was larger than expected, and the OB had to do a laparoscopy and use ultrasound to make sure he didn't puncture my uterus.

Recovery was as expected, some bleeding, little cramping.  I was more sore from the air they blew into my abdomen for the laparoscopy.  HOWEVER, 5 days post op, I was suddenly hit with the WORST pain I've ever felt.  I passed one bloodclot the size of a small egg - but no other blood.  But the pain....was mind numbing.  To distract myself, I started hunting for answers online and found this forum.  I read and read and read, and realized that I had a huge problem.  It ISN'T normal to have severe pain.  It ISN'T normal to feel AWFUL nearly a week after a D & C.  

I ended up having to go the hospital by squad.  In the ambulance, I passed several large clots/pieces of tissue.  I learned later, I actually delivered my baby in the squad.  After several more hours of intense pain in the ER, I finally delivered the placenta.  How my doctor missed BOTH the baby and placenta is beyond me...but he did, even though he used ultrasound.  

So here are my warnings.  If you have INTENSE, mind blowing pain...get help NOW.  The OB in the hospital told me that level of pain is indicative of a uterine infection.  Because my OB didn't remove all of the tissue, it had caused an awful infection, which in turn caused me unfathomable pain.  I am currently on abx for the infection, and am determined to fight long and hard to ensure that I clear this infection entirely.  I refuse to lose my chance to try for another baby, because my OB made a mistake.  BTW, I have only had a very slight fever.  I normally run 97.4 and my temp has been 99 - 99.6.  Shockingly, uterine infections are very hard to get rid of and very serious, but they don't always cause a high fever.  Don't be fooled  

Much love to anyone else who goes through this.  It is honestly a new level of Hades that I couldn't have imagined before I was thrown into it.  

Hey I two weeks ago went in for my 14 week check up the baby had no heartbeat. The u/c showed it had stopped growing at 13 weeks. But I had a D and E done which is sorta the same thing from what I heard. I came home to some bleeding then it stopped for two days then I passed very large clots and almost had to go to the hospital. After the clots stopped again I have no bleeding just some brown stuff once in a while. It only thurs 1/13 and the d and e was done 1/7. Shouldn't there be more bleeding? I have what feels like menstral cramps but nothing more and no fever. Has this happened to anyone. Could there be a clot blocking my cervix. What are the thoughts?? This was my third pregnancy after having two healthy full term babies. This was soo unexcpected. I actually went in for gallbladder removal surgery and they told me I was pregnant. We found out about our baby just as quick as we lost it. Were patiently awaiting genetic testing. But any thoughts on what I am experiencing?? Should I call the drs??

I am so deeply comforted by this thread.  I miscarried on Dec 5th, and finally had a D&C on Jan 27th.  I bled super lightly for a day or two, and rejoiced that it was over.  Then today, I wake up with a few clots in the toilet.  I passed what looked like a tiny amount of tissue this evening.  What a complete nightmare this has been.  A lot of the nightmare is being frightened, panicking when you see blood in the toilet over and over, having bleeding that comes and goes, and random pain.  You all know exactly what I am talking about, which feels like a warm blanket around my spirit right now.  No one understands what it's like to be compromised physically in this way for such a length of time.  It takes over your life, your emotions, your thoughts.  I am so sorry we are all suffering this trial, but also so grateful for your stories that give me hope of a future with another baby.  Thank you all from my heart.  Spinner- what ever happened to you?  What did your doc say?  
Two days before Christmas my boyfriend and I found out I was pregnant. I was so thrilled. This was my third time around being pregnant. I previously in the past miscarried both times. It was a terrible experience for me. The first time I miscarried I was about 5 months along. A devastating blow for me. Took me a year to emotionally recovery from that lost. It was from my first marriage. Then about 5 yrs later I met my second hubby and got pregnant and lost that one as well. We eventually divorce and it has been almost 10 yrs later and I am with my current boyfriend soon to be hubby. They say third time is a charm. Well like I said, 2 days before xmas I was pregnant. Last week on Thursday I was sent to the hospital for a ultrasound and then my doctor met with me right after. He told both my boyfriend and I that my baby had died at 7weeks and I was 10 weeks along. I had no idea since I felt pregnant still and had no signs of a miscarry. Friday morning I had a D&C. Its been about 5 days since and I am a complete emotional mess. Loosing 3 pregnancy's is discouraging. I am not giving up though. As soon as I heal we are trying again. Since the D&C, I stopped bleeding for 2 days then yesterday evening blood started coming out of me like crazy. I was so freaked out I called the on call doctor. She said it was normal to have on and off heavy bleeding with some small clots. Well today I am bleeding more with dark blood as well as bright red blood and small clots. I have mild cramping with it. The fact I have to wait a few months to try again is depressing. I was really wanting this baby. It has been a tough road for me. It is nice to know that I am not alone out there and reading what other women have gone through has been a big help these past few days.
Just an update, because I don't think enough women are following through to help others - Yes, horrible things happen...my life was a nightmare for almost 4 months - but thanks be to God that I finally passed the mass on my own (hurt more than giving birth to my son!) and we are FINALLY done.  This unthinkable tragedy was so drawn out - so to those going through this, DON'T BE AFRAID TO CALL YOUR DOCTOR!  Go with your instinct - if something doesn't feel right, then get it checked out!  Do your research, stay educated, and keep in touch with your Doctor.  I have finally gotten to the point where I'm not dealing with physical recovery anymore, but I am dealing with the mental/emotional aspect, as my son's would-be due date approaches on March 1.  I have used my situation to speak to others, and I am writing poems, these comments, and other letters/stories to help get it out of me and to help others remove the fear of the unknown.  To know you're not alone is huge piece of the puzzle in recovery.  Things can - and do - get better; you just gotta hang in there!  God's blessings to each of you, and hugs to our angels in heaven!
I miscarried at 11 weeks and was told that the baby had stopped developing a few weeks before.  I had the tablets to manage the miscarriage but 4 doses later they still hadn't worked.  I then had a D&C, this was 8 days ago. I had bleeding on the 1st day as expected then nothing for 2 days and then started bleeding againb.  It'd been on and off since. Sometimes nothing and then sometimes small clots.  Is this normal?  How long can I expect this for?  This was my first pregnancy and we'd like to try again as soon as we can. My doctors said to wait for a natural period which is fine but how do I know when that's happened if I keep bleeding???  Any advice would be welcome
I am so sorry to hear about your loss.  We all, unfortunately, understand what you're going through.  As far as your bleeding goes, I would talk to your doctor.  Make sure he/she keeps monitoring you.  As I'm sure you've read, there's nothing "normal" about having a miscarriage - you've been a mature woman for how long, and now nothing that you're used to is happening to you - and it plays with your mind.  Please know that what you're going through is probably okay - nothing is going to follow rhyme or reason for awhile.  My understanding from my doctor is after a D&C you can bleed on & off for up to 2 weeks, and then bleeding can be spuratic for up to 6-8 weeks and be considered "normal".  But, if your instinct tells you something's not right - please call your doctor and share your concerns.  Things will be topsie-turvie for awhile for you, but take some solace in knowing that the un-normal is now normal for awhile.  Your body is going to need to get itself back into a rhythm but only after it's healed completely.  This, unfortunately, takes time.  Hang in there, and while I understand you are wanting to try again, you'll want to do it right - after your body's had time to recoup from this.  Have patience with your body and yourself.  hang in there!
I had a very similar experience... this was my first pregnancy and everything looked perfect when I had my first ultrasound at 8 weeks. Then, I started having a little hypertension and my thyroid hormones went all out of wack.

I went in for a follow-up ultrasound at 13 weeks and they couldn't find a heartbeat. They also were measuring my baby out to be 11 weeks. I was told I had a partial molar pregnancy and they needed to perform a D&C ASAP otherwise I'd have a miscarriage eventually and the bleeding could be extremely significant. Three days later I had my D&C and have been bleeding non-stop for a week now (which I expected would be "normal" -- a word I hate as well) but was never given any guidelines about what to expect.

My doctor sent off all the tissue and baby they removed for chromosomal analysis. Basically though, I'm being told I have to wait a YEAR after my hcg levels drop to 0 before trying to conceive again. They want me on birth control during this time...   I AM A MESS!

I had my first m/c at 47 days in Sep'10.. the doctor did a D&C and i had near to NIL bleeding... all bleeding stopped within 1-2 days...

I conceived again in Nov'11.. but just last week i had a second trimester m/c.. the baby was 16weeks and alive during the scan.. but since my cervix had dilated i developed labor pains and shortly thereafter expelled a dead baby..

the doctor did a D&C... and it has been 7 days since.. and i have been experiencing bleeding every day.. the past two days i have passed clots.. the blood looks fresh most times.. but the clots looked dark...

i am consulting a new obgyn next week.. and will surely post what she advises me...
I AM 24 YR AFTER D&C MY BLEEDING STOP AFTER 8 DAYS . I WANT TO ASK IF I HAVE SEX AFTER BLEEDING STOP  YES OR NO. IF YES GIVE DETAILS IF NO ALSO GIVE DETAILS THANKS .
I am 42 yrs old also a diabetic with 3 children ages 22, 21 and 18 My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 17 yrs we finally were successful but did an ultra sound and found out that at 10 wks 3 days my baby had stop developing at 6 wks. I had a d&c its been 5 days since and i am still bleeding and passing small clots and few cramps. When is it safe for me to conceive again. I didn't realize there were so many persons who has the same problem as me. The doctors doesn't seem to know what cause the problem they called it a blighted ovum. Any suggestion will be grateful.
I am so glad I found this website.  I have felt very alone in dealing with my miscarriage.  No one else I know has had one and my husband just doesn't understand how hard this is.  So I feel comforted that there ARE people out there that have these same feelings.  We had heard the heartbeat at 6.5 weeks.  When we returned for the 8 week u/s there was no heartbeat. The dr said the baby was the right size for 8 weeks, so the baby must have died the day before.  I had a d and c done the next day (which was the day before my birthday).  Two days later I had cramping and I started bleeding, which the dr said is would happen.  The dr said I would get my first period within 4-6 weeks.  I had a brown discharge for 3 weeks, then I got my first period.  My dr said that your first period should reset everything. So I was happy to get it assuming that things would be fine afterwards.  However, late one night I had really bad cramps and a back ache.  Then I passed two HUGE clots and I was so scared and almost went to the hospital, but i decided to wait until the  morning to call the dr.  The dr said that was also completely "normal".  This was information that would have been nice to have before hand so I didn't work myself into a panic.  I believe I am done with my period now and the brown discharge has returned.  I am going to call the dr again in the next couple days if it doesn't stop.  I feel like I am annoying the dr with my phone calls so I keep delaying calling them.  But I am so tired of dealing with this daily reminder of what happened.  I would really like to close this chapter and start the healing process and hopefully start trying again.
I am extremely sorry for your loss.  All of us have experienced one form of this hell or another - but it does help to know that others are there with you.  I lost my baby at 18 weeks, 6 months ago now, and my complications finally didn't end for 4 months.  I am 2 months on a "normal" period now, but it still upsets me when I first start bleeding, and I am having a lot of anxiety with each one.  I still get phantom kicks from my absent baby, and they are particularly hard to cope with.  Unfortunately what heals here is time, and it seems to take forever for time to pass.  One thing I will say is to keep in touch with your doctor.  Don't feel bad about "bothering" him - make sure you don't pester; I'm a big advocate for self-education and we can do a lot with a mouse and an internet connection - but ultimately you know your body, and you need to make sure if you think something's wrong, you have your doctor's input to make sure you're okay.  It's his JOB.  And you need your sanity and some normalcy back, if even in it's smallest form, with some reassurance from someone who's paid to make sure you are healthy and taken care of.  Hang in there, one minute at a time, one day at a time...and you'll make it through.  My prayers are with you.
i had a d&c on fri 8th april, i felt pretty well considerin, then late sat evenin i started 2 bleed and then tday i have experienced really bad stomach cramps and loosin clots has anyone else experienced this?
Hello everyone! I am 3 weeks post D and C. This was my second pregnancy. I have a beautiful and healthy 19 month old little boy. I was 9 weeks along and that was what the baby measured at. So they think baby wasnt gone very long. I had spotting for three days two weeks before my Dr. appt. on May 28, 2011. They did blood levels and everything was going fine they said. When we went for the US there was no heartbeat. We were devistated. I only had red blood the day of the surgery and brown discharge the rest of the time. I had nothing friday and saturday but woke up yesterday to red blood again. I just want this to be done so we can move on and try again. Dont get me wrong....we love our little angel baby and would never try to replace it...but we want to add to our family. One thing that has helped more than words can explain is my little boy. He has truely been a light in this trying time! Hang in there ladies....I feel better and more at peace with it in every passing day. I still have my sad moments but I try to think about all my blessings. Stay positive and take care!
hi all, i had a d&c there on saturday feeling ok after it but i took a hpt this morning and still coming up pregnant is this normal. see i have had 3mc in a row but this was my first d&c please help..
If you still have a positive prego test, your hcg levels haven't dropped - I don't know how long it takes, but if you still have hcg levels (what causes your hpt to be positive) that means you can still have something growing producing that hormone.  Call your doctor.  It may be normal, as your levels may still be dropping, or (as was in my case) they didn't get everything, and you may still have tissue growing (ie the placenta), and worse case senario (as was me) have to have a second d&c which are unfortunately more common than some think.  Basically, call your doctor - that's my best suggestion; and hang in there.  My prayers are with you.
Hi there!
I only had a m/c this week on Monday. I was 9 weeks pregnant for the first time when I discovered some spotting. I talked to my GP and she sent me to do an ultrasound. There they didn't find a heartbeat, but the baby was growning normal up until that day. I saw the obstetrician on Tuesday and had the d&c on Tuesday night. After that I'm feeling much better. I don't have any cramps and only light spotting on and off. Do I need to be concerned? You're all talking about blood clots and dark blood.
Thank you for your comments!!!
First off, I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your baby.  You've had quite a week.  As far as your question goes, it seems you've caught a break, and are experiencing exactly what you're supposed to experience after a d&c - light spotting and perhaps small clots for up to 2 weeks post d&c are considered (in my understanding from my Dr.) as "normal".  If anything happens that you question, or doesn't feel right, definitely contact your OB.  A lot of our stories are ones of seemingly unending physical torture - may yours be one of hope and joy!  
I just wanted to follow up with my last post.  The brown discharge did not stop so I contacted my dr again.  They had me come in and I had to have some blood work done and I had another sonogram done.  The blood work showed some pregnancy hormones and the sonogram showed that I still had some residual tissue that did not come out during the first d and c. The dr wanted to wait one more cycle to see if the tissue would pass.  Unfortunately it did not so I had to have another d and c done.  Hopefully this will be the end of this horrible nightmare.  To all the women dealing with their own losses… healing takes time, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  My prayers go out to all of you!  
To make a long story short, the day before Thanksgiving at my follow up u/s to check viability, the heartbeat had stopped, I decided to wait & see if I could miscarry naturally but never did, had the d&c on 12/3 (friday), it went great, had a little spotting but nothing out of the norm, the following Tuesday at work I started getting really bad cramps around lunch time which continued to get worse, went to the bathroom at 4:30 & peed a lot of blood & clots, decided to leave work(an hour drive home) & the cramps continued to worsen, not sure how I was gonna drive all the way home with the pain but I pushed myself, the minute I got home I darted to the bathroom, I was bleeding so bad & was passing so many clots (without sounding gross, it felt like I was pooping thru my vagina from all the clots), all I can see was this large mass of clots at the bottom of the bowel, I was in shock but on the other hand I now felt great, no more pain whatsoever, spotted for a few more days & it was over. Didn't get my next period until 1/19 & then again on 2/19 & then 3/25...the next one wasn't until 5/6 so not sure what's going on now, I use to get sore boobs prior to af but that has since stopped since having the D&C??? Thanks for listening
Hi there,

So many of these stories have been so similar to what I just found out and went through last week. I went in for a routine checkup at 17 weeks to my midwives clinic and when they she did the routine heartbeat check with the Doppler, she could not get a heartbeat at all :( She rushed me over to an emergency ultrasound at the hospital. Waiting was horrible. Once we got in they were unable to find heartbeat and my husband and I could clearly tell what had happened due to not seeing any movement from the baby on the screen and how small it looked. It's arms and legs just sat there :( This being our third baby we knew the baby should have been kicking around and such. I immediately started to ball!

We waited for the results to be given to my midwife and for her to call us in the room. All I could do was cry on my husbands shoulder and ask what I did to the baby? We finally received her call and shortly found out the baby had only grew to be 13 weeks and this is common and the reasons are usually unknown. She gave me two options; to either continue to carry until it passes naturally or to go in for an emergency d&c. I immediately chose surgery knowing I had not passed the baby for 4 weeks and was scared it could affect me since we want more children in the future. Even though this baby was not planned and had gotten pregnant only after giving birth 9m prior my daughter and already having a 3yo daughter, it was hard because everyone knew and loved it already. But, I knew something didn't seem right after our first US at 6w because they changed my due date 2 weeks later from when I had my last period? It didn't make sense? I was also loosing weight, not showing properly, had no appetite, was seeming to get diarrhea and was having horrible nightmares every night, from earlier on.

But, I went in for surgery the next morning and woke up feeling fine until the Percocet wouldn't relieve my pain. I finally went to use the bathroom and started bleeding everywhere! It was running down my legs and all over the floor, even wearing a pad. I passed two "borderline" clots the nurse told me, and have been bleeding since. I later found out that the doctor had accidently tore my cervix during the procedure, which can be normal he said, and had to put in stitches. It was so much more painful then it should have been because of that. I have been bleeding ever since and passing small clots almost every time I use the bathroom. It has been almost a week. I guess it is normal to bleed like a period but no longer than 2 weeks they told me? But, I keep getting cramps and when I wipe after urination there is so much blood? As much a period I guess, but it always has clots and I have diarrhea again? It seems to be becoming so complicated on top of all the emotional stress and crying every night. I just want to be physically feeling better.

It is also hard because even though my husband and I have decided to go on birth control at my check up next week (because we couldn't handle another loss right now). I just want to be able to be intimate with him and feel that closeness besides just cuddling, but it seems like the bleeding is never going to dye down? We even went out to dinner and a movie last night to spend time alone but ended up talking about our loss most of the time :( Idk, I am on a roller coaster of emotions so pardon me.

Also, I read all those stories about the "MOLAR PREGNANCIES" and I have been there as well! My husband and I have been together from a young age about 14yo. When I was 16 we accidently became pregnant. I began to bleeding an ugly dark brown color and it never stopped. I made it to about 3 months pregnant before finding out during an US at the ER (because of the constant bleeding) that it was a Molar pregnancy. I underwent my first D&C after seeing my high risk OB. She put a stick thing in my cervix to dilate the day before. I was young but I remember it being a very easy recovery (besides getting a spinal for anst.) that wasn't a good choice on my part.

But, the tissue or whatnot didn't come all the way out as she could tell from my hcg levels. Therefore my doc had me go in for another D&C shortly after. I had general anesthesia this time. It still did not get it all. I then started Chemotherapy. She referred me to the Hematology/Oncology specialist. She then started me on Methotrexate as well. I underwent these shots in my lower back for 9 months along with the white blood cell boosters in the back of my upper arms. Then after many weeks of blood draws my levels finally were normal! I then got pregnant with my daughter a year later and we couldn't have been happier, until this point.

I just can't help but wonder why BOTH these crazy things have had to happen to us? I know so many people who have never had an issue? And to top it all off my husband lost his little sister back in '04 when she was 4 years old, to a whole in her intestines. Idk if this all is supposed to make us stronger? I am just going to be thankful for my beautiful girls and hope time heals us :)

Thanks so much for reading my novel! It just felt nice to let it out ;)
From my last super long post, here is another.....

If any heath care professional or someone who may know happens sees this... This has lingered in my mind since finding out last week. Can food poisoning cause a miscarriage/fetal demise?

Around the exact time (13w) they say the baby died/grew to be, I was in a good friends wedding and my husband and I attended the rehearsal dinner. It was at a very nice garden resort but the dinner was chaotic (the venues fault) the wait and cook staff seemed to be unprepared. But anyway, we were last to be served our shrimp pastas, we quickly ate then had to leave. Only 5-10 minutes after eating and heading home my husband complained of stomach pain and sickness. I then immediately felt the same but worse. I was on the brink of calling my midwife because I felt as though I was going into labor/contracting. I had to pull over and let my husband drive. We then got to my mother-in-laws to pick up our daughters and I still had the lower abdominal pain (couldn't use the bathroom though) and nausea began. It came and went every few minutes until we got home about an hour later. I was able to use the bathroom eventually and felt better after resting. But, my husband felt fine after getting to his moms and eating something different there? I just passed it off as an upset stomach/bad food and never thought of anything more until finding this out?

I feel so bad every day, like it could have been prevented. We were on the brink of leaving that night because of the long hour and a half wait. I even said "should we just go?" but we waited it out for my friend :( Even the priest ended up in the ER because of the food.

Anyone with an answer or experience is welcome. Thanks so much for reading.
Reading your journal was very hard for me.  You have me in tears.  If you read any of my earlier journals (since Sept of last year) I have experienced almost carbon-copy of what you did.  I, unfortunately, can completely sympathize to your situation, and can honestly say I am SO sorry for your loss and situation.  It seems like it lasts forever - the loss of a child alone is enough to send someone into a tailspin - but add the physical complications and added emotional and psychological mess - and you just fall into survival mode.  In my case, the placenta kept growing, so I had 2 d&c's over 8 weeks, and then followed with chemo b/c they couldn't get it all and needed to kill the tissue.  Each time it was just agonizing to have my blood drawn, still have hcg levels and then end up with another ultrasound to show yet another mass...everyone in the hospital knew me, I saw their pitiful looks each time I walked through the doors...no one knows how to help.  No one knows what to say.  You have a miscarriage, and everyone can grasp that.  They can say sorry and bring you meals and help out with your kids...but then there comes a time when they heal and "get over it" and feel you should, too.  But what do you do when you haven't even had time to heal b/c you're still dealing with the physical complications of a loss?!  When a nightmare doesn't seem to end...and yet the rest of the world keeps turning, seemingly without you.  I understand.  The words I can offer you is that first of all, you are not alone.  Secondly, I can tell you that eventually it does end - and you get to heal.  My 18 week ultrasound that revealed my son had passed away at 14 weeks was on Sept 24, 2010.  Today, I still deal with the heartache of my empty arms, and empty crib.  I see other babies and wonder what my son would look like, and what milestones he would be crossing today.  He, too, would have been my 3rd child.  I have a daughter and son who also suffered this loss.  My best advice is to heal as you need to.  There's no right or wrong answer to how you're supposed to heal.  In my case, my brain just shut down.  I went numb.  Now, 8 months later, the system is slowly rebooting, and most times things hit me out of the blue.  I am on Zoloft for post-pardum depression (finally diagnosed 2 months ago - which was so great; no baby, but the baby blues to add injury to insult).  I am returning to "normal" life, but it is a process.  My family and friends have all healed.  I, on the other hand, have become annoyingly aware of everything my body does, and am constantly afraid something is still wrong.  Last month I suffered a ruptured ovarian cyst - which put me in the ER and prepped for an appendectomy before a CT scan revealed the true cause.  It's like the blows keep coming.  But I keep trudging.  I take care of my kids and my husband.  I am not one to be taken care of - I don't handle that well, and I hated depending on others for some time.  But then I learned that my husband was stronger than I thought, and my friends and family were reliable and that it was okay to trust others and rely on others.  Slowly my life started to feel like my own again when I was able to start helping others again - and I continue to gain confidence every time I can make a meal for someone else...every time I successfully check something off my "to - do" list...every time I get a birthday card out in the mail on time...I turn little battles into victories and each day I start to win the war.  My prayers go out to you, and I hope you find solace in something bigger than yourself - Heaven is real, and your angel baby will be waiting for you someday...make sure you get to him/her through your faith and don't waste the time given to you on this earth.  If your lost baby teaches you to appreciate your children and not take them for granted...then there is something to be grateful for.  You will always understand how precious life is - vs someone who's never lost a baby and squanders their time with family for material things or flitting fads.  Appreciate your husband - let this draw you closer and strengthen you and your love.  Good things come from bad situations, you just have to know how to find them.  I'm sure you've seen a few already.   Again, my prayers are with you...and I know you'll be alright.
Thankful for finding everyone's stories.  I had a Emergency D&C done on 6/7/11 which was 5 days ago.  I would have been 8 weeks pregnant.  From the beginning of my pregnancy i was spotting for almost 4 weeks.  My HCG levels continued to rise but they could not find a fetal pole.  I first went in to the ER on 6/1/11 because my kidney area had a dull pain and the spotting started up again...they said the same "threatened abortion." Then on the morning of 6/7/11 i woke to a gush of blood followed by a tennis ball clot coming out...the bleeding would not stop so back to the ER where after waiting for 3 hours and feeling the back pain contractions and blood gushing out I was rushed to get the D&C done.  They told me i would be back to normal in no time.  Today, 5 days later i went back to the ER because i passed another clot and keep feeling faint when i stand.  I keep getting hot flashes and shaky.  Not sure if it is my nerves combined with something else.  They checked for infection which was negative and my HCG levels were down to 200.  They said it is normal to bleed as long as i dont fill a pad in an hour.  I am concerned after reading everyones post ... should i go to a different hospital and get a 2nd opinion?? After the trauma i've been thru at this hospital i dont really have alot of confidence in any of these drs.  Please help!!
I have read through ever single post here. My heart goes out to all of you ladies. It was so hard reading about those of you who miscarried later in pregnancy, delivered at home.. I just could not imagine and pray I never have to go through it but I truly truly pray for those who have.

I became pregnant for the second time in May. We have a beautiful little girl who will turn 3 on July 9th. I have had strange periods this year.. trying really hard to get normal after my thyroid levels were finally testing normal (I have hypothyroid). I had a period on 3/16. It lasted 2 weeks. I used a phone app to help track my periods. My average cycle was 35 days and every other period since November was 1 week, then 2 weeks.. back and forth like that. One period would give me symptoms before, the other would surprise me. Anyway, when my app suggested my next period would start April 19th I shrugged it off when the day came and went because I knew from past periods it was off by a few days. Then the sore breasts started and finally at the end of April I tested and was negative. Tested again a week later on May 5th and got the positive. My dates put me at approximately 8 weeks and 2 days on the date of my first OB appt on May 16th. The portable transvaginal ultrasound put me at about 4 weeks. HCG levels were testing high so they brought me in on May 18th for an ultrasound (to make sure it was not an ectopic preg.) and measured my gestational sac at 4 weeks and 2 days. The consensus was I ovulated way later considering I had wacky periods anyway.

On June 17th we went in for a follow ultrasound, I assume to check progress since my dates were strange. I should have been 8 weeks and 2 days. Unfortunately they found nothing but a growing gestational sac. I learned, after waiting in the office for another hour to see the doctor that I had a blighted ovum. The fetus discontinued growth after early implantation so there was really nothing there for several weeks, just unfortunately at 4 weeks on a us you won't see anything anyway so we never knew. But I sure felt pregnant the whole time. Anyway, emotionally I could not handle waiting 5 days for another Dr. visit only to possibly wait a few more days for a D&C. June 13th I called my doctor's office and told them how I hoped to either get in to see my doctor, or a doctor asap, and get the surgery scheduled for sooner. Thankfully after a couple hours passed she called me back and told me to be at the hospital at 6am Tuesday morning.

The procedure went smoothly as far as I can tell. The doctor gave me a couple prescriptions (ibuprofen and percocet) and after I was able to successfully urinate I went home. I bled lightly Tuesday afternoon and quit by that evening. I didn't bleed again at all until either Wednesday or Thursday. It has mostly been mucusy with red strung throughout. Too much for a panty liner so I had to wear a pad this weekend. Starting yesterday my discharge turned brown... kind of like the end of your period. Smells like the end of your period too. Some nights I feel kind of bleh feeling but no cramping really.

I'm glad I found this forum. At first I was terrified to think of what may be to come for me, but I guess in a way I have mentally prepared myself for the wait... or at least tried to prepare myself. I'll never know until I experience it I suppose. I'm praying that we have a successful recovery and don't require more procedures. It's hard going 2 weeks pelvic rest when you want to be emotionally connecting with your husband. I haven't had any break downs or crying spells since the surgery but sometimes I wonder when it will hit me again. Really all I can do is put my faith in the Lord that he will see us through. Taking it one day and prayer at a time here.
i had a medical term at 13wk and 5 days due to chromasone problems (hardest day of my life)  for 5 weeks i suffered major heavy bleeds and problems went for a scan and had retained tissue so had a d and c 3 days ago i have had terrible cramps and a severe trapped gas feeling but this is nothing compared to the grief i go through missing my baby when all my friends are expecting and i have nothing we are wanting to try agaian but i do not no when my body will be ready its been 5 weeks and 2 days since i lost baby ! also how will i cope waiting for my scans what if theres another problem should we just give up ? i dont no im 30 have a healthy 6 yr old but just long for another baby .....
Hang in there...I know it seems like forever and it is too much to bear...time is your friend and your enemy right now.  Let yourself heal - you'll want to do things the safe and healthy way, so right now take time to grieve the loss of your child, and give your body the time it needs to heal from this horrific situation.  You need to be healthy for your current family, and for future children (if you decide to go that route).  I know this is the last thing you want to hear, but take it from someone who knows; you need time right now.  Reset the clock and take a breath for your sake and your family's.  Good things are worth waiting for, and believe me, it will make another pregnancy that much more appreciated and easy if you can come at it with a clear head and healthy body.  Again, hang in there, and my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Hiya , i was 10 weeks pregnant when i had my miscarriage, i experienced some cramping in my tummy in the early hours of the morning and then by the evening i had started to pass some blood i freaked and called my midwife - she then advised me to go to the hospital .. the next day my boyfriend and i went to have our 12week scan and they had told me our baby had no heartbeat (i hadn't even realised anything was abnormal) 2 days later i went to have a D&C carried out and since then (4weeks later) i am continuing to bleed on and off.  
I had an incomplete m/c at 10 weeks, and my doctor told me that there was a possibility of having a natural expulsion, but a week later nothing had happened, so we tried the less invasive option of the Mitrosol, and about 60% of the tissue came out, but some remained, so I had to undergo a d/c procedure two weeks ago.  After the d/c three days later I was bleeding a lot with huge clots, so big that I had to go back in the clinic to get some of them removed.  After a hormone test, we were able to determine that some placenta still remained inside, so I had to have another d/c.  All this endless nightmare has been very hard on my spouse and myself.  I have lost a lot of blood and it wasn't until yesterday that the bleeding decreased.  My fear now is that all the scraping and procedures have or will leave some scarring in my uterus.  When and how can I tell if this is the case and if I am ready to try again.  My doctor suggests we wait three months to try again, but after all this I am hesitant to do so, because it's left me in delicate health.  Has anyone gone through something like this?
I found out I was pregnant for the first time on June 18, 2011. My first U/S was set for August 5, 2011. I was 12.5 weeks. They told me they couldn't find a h/b and the baby stopped developing at 8 weeks. My D&C was scheduled for August 10th. Everything went fine, I had minor cramping and little bleeding. Over the days, the bleeding got a little heavier at times, would go back to being light, then disappears, and comes back varrying between light and somewhat heavy. I am now 11 days post D&C and all I mostly seem to see now is that brown, dry, icky stuff. It kinda looks like there is tissue in it. At one time, I felt very crampy, went to the bathroom, and there was a clot about the size of a quarter. My husband and I have been together for 5 years now, and over those 5 years, we weren't trying, but weren't "not" trying (if that makes any sense) I was starting to wonder why we hadn't gotten pregnant, seeing as friends were telling me they were pregnant and conceived their first time without even trying. We were having intercourse regularly, about once a week (more often in the beginning years). I was starting to think that I couldn't have children, since he already has one son. So, I was pretty shocked when I got the test back and it was positive, as I've taken many due to a late AF and all read neg. Now I know, obviously I can get pregnant, but I'm afraid it will still take a very long time next time, and when it does happen, I will miscarry again. We are young, I am in my early 20s, he is in his mid 20s, so I don't understand why it took so long. Even with not "trying", what are the chances of missing those fertile days, every month, for 5 years, especially with having intercourse once a week?  I'm desperate for help. I want to try again so badly. I didn't want this so badly until I became pregnant, and then just wasn't pregnant anymore. It's a horrible feeling, and just leaves you feeling lost, empty, and extremely emotional. I loved the feeling of being pregnant. It was honestly the most pleasurable experience ever, even with the neausea and everything else. I miss that feeling of knowing my baby is in there, and knowing that I'm already doing my job as a mother by taking care of my baby, feeding it, and sheltering it, before I even got to meet my little angel. I would do anything to have that happy glow back in my life. I'm just so tired of this waiting game already. I just want to try again. At the least, I feel like it may help to be intimate with my husband again. With how emotional and vulnerable I am, I just feel the need of that intimate connection, but this bleeding seems to never stop!! I got excited because on 8-17 exactly 1 week after the D&C, I quit bleeding for the whole day. I woke up on the 18th and still no sign of blood, even while wiping. During work, at about 8pm,  I began to feel wet, and went to the bathroom. Thank god I wore a pad anyways, because I began to bleed dark brown globs. It has been the same since, however I don't see it often when I wipe. It is very very light brown, but on the pad, there is very dry old looking blood. I'm so confused, and so tired of bleeding. My normal cycles only last about 3-4 days, so I am nowhere near use to bleeding this long. I read something in a previous post, that said eventually, everyone gets over it, and you feel like you should as well. I know this feeling. My family, also, has healed. It didn't seem to take long for my mother, for example, who so desperately wanted this baby (her first grandbaby). I am starting to feel like I obsess over all of this, and when I try to talk to my family.. my mom, my husband, my best friend, and so on, they kind of seem to get annoyed with me that I am bringing it up again. It is so hard to think about anything else. I took some personal time off work until this past Wed. and honestly, I thought going back to work would help, and get my mind off things, because I would be focusing on other things. But I completly forgot that my boss is about 8.5 months pregnant, and about to pop any day now. She rubs her belly, and talks about these cravings she's having, and tells me when the baby is kicking her. I thought she would understand, and not do these things to me, seeing as I opted out of her baby shower that took place 4 days after my D&C. It just doesn't seem like I can escape it anywhere I go. Everywhere I look, I see cute little baby bumps, and mommys pushing their newborns in strollers. The worst part about it, is that my due date was on my favorite holiday, which is Valentine's day, which is also mine and my husband's anniversary (when we began dating). I don't think I will be able to ever face this day again. It's not like its any other typical day where you're likely to overlook and notice what day it is until its already over. But, I will NEVER go through a Valentine's day, and not know what day it is. Everytime someone tells me Happy Valentine's day, I will remember, and I will think of my baby. I am just so glad to have found this site, and to see that other women are going through this everyday, and I am not alone, however, I'm sorry for your losses, and that you had to be here to share your stories. My prayers are with all of you. xoxoxo
Thank goodness for this thread! My husband and I went for our 20 week ultra-sound, and the baby had stopped growing at 15 weeks. I had a D&C the next day (my birthday). Now it has been almost two weeks later and I am still bleeding and passing big, gross clots every day. I have pretty intense crampig, and more than aything else, I just want this to go away. It was our third child, and we weren't "trying"...but losing it seems like we lost a member of the family anyway. And I hate that I still feel like I am pregnant! Every time I see the blood I am reminded of the fact that we lost a baby. I just want to be normal again.
I also found out I was pregnant in June this yr. It was on my 40th bday. It was my 4th pregnancy and I was so arrogant in my belief that nothing was going to happen to this baby because my prior three ended in healthy full term beautiful babies. I was also due Valentine's Day. My hcg level was in the low normal area but not really fully dbling in 24hrs and I had had some slight brown discharge early on but the US at 8wks showed the baby and a heartbeat of 143/min. I also found out at an early nuchal translucency screening US on Aug 5 at 12wks 3days that there was no h/b. The baby had stopped growing at 12wks. Just three days earlier. I wished with all my heart that I could have gone back those three days and done something different, then my little dear one would still be expected.
I was grasping at straws and the next day I went to the local ER to have another US to make sure it was true. Unfortunately, it was too true. My dh and I had talked it over the night before as to what we would do if it were true. I wanted to use Misoprostol in hopes of passing it naturally and avoid a d and c/e. I had seen photos of what happens to the baby when those procedures are done and I didn't want that to happen to our dear one. So I had a plan for some sort of control in a situation that was clearly out of our control. I found out the dr's had different ideas and that I had no other option but a d and e due to being to far along for the drug. I was devistated all over again at the thought of what was going to happen to our poor baby's body. This was a Sat night and they were planning on doing the procedure early the next morning. Only the dr scheduled to do it, decided at the last minute to do it last minute that night. This haste might have been the cause of the problems I have been having to date...
Anyway, the procedure was done quickly and I was released just as quickly. No real bleeding occured most days only slight spotting through the next wks and mostly brown discharge upon wiping. Some days the blood would be bright red, heavier and accompanied by bad cramping and I would think FINALLY my new cycle is starting only to find nothing the next time I wiped.
I had a follow up with my regular OB at two wks post op on Aug 23 and he pulled some membrane from my cervix and said that would possibly help my hcg level to finally go down and stop the positive preg tests and scheduled me for another appt a month later. He also gave me a script for Zoloft since I couldn't stop crying and wasn't sleeping and didn't want to even venture out of bed most days even though I have a very active four yr old. The Zoloft has helped tremendously.
But this past Sun afternoon 6wks after the d and e I suddenly started having horrendous cramping pains in the center of my lower abdomin (abdomen), which I assume was my uterus, normally when I start I will get cramps on one side or the other never in the middle. Anyway, I took some Midol and tried the heating pad for a bit. I got up to use the bathroom and couldn't walk without extreme pain. I went to the bathroom and when I sat down, the bright red blood and clots just poured out. It wouldn't stop and I sat there for over 20 mins waiting for it to slow down so I could get up. I finally gave that up and my mother convinced me to go to the ER. On the way I bled through a super over night pad with wings in less than 20 mins.
They did an ultrasound and found parts of the placenta still attached and scheduled me for a d and c today. After the procedure it was necessary for them to give me a shot to stop the bleeding since I was bleeding quite a lot with more clots.
I am hoping that this will be the last of this horrible experience and that we will be able to finally try to heal and move on. We are both 40 and though this pregnancy was unexpected and a surprise we now realize we wanted it so badly and are anxious to ttc right away.
I also do not know how I am going to face this Valentine's Day. It will always remind me of the little one I never got to meet and hold.
I lost my baby on Sept 30 at exactly 7 weeks. My friend found out she is due the same day as I would be, May 20. Our older children are only 3 weeks apart being born the beginning and almost end of June 2010. I didn't have to have a d&c but was diagnosed with an ectopic that resolved itself but left me with a hemmohragic cyst on my right ovary. I stopped bleeding 6 days after my MC but started spotting brown old blood, very light, since October 13th to now! My levels were 98.5 on Monday so my dr is pretty sure it should stop after my hcg levels are 0. I hope, I'm sick of it and I want another baby!! :) thinking of you all.
I guess i just dont understand I am 19 years old and I had a d &c sept 30 and I stopped bleeding three weeks after and I got my period the oct 30 and I have been bleeding for three weeks. will the bleeding just stop or is there a problem. called the doc and they just told me to wait and call back in a week. I am in a lot of pain and having a lot of cramping
Found out 10 days ago I had a miscarriage and 8 days ago had a d&c. Still bleeding and cramping. Appreciate reading others comments. This experience is so heartbreaking. May go to a support group that meets in a couple weeks. Very depressed. God bless you and our babies in Heaven!
Dear December2012,

We found out on January 3rd at our 12 week appt. that our baby's heart stopped beating around 10 and 1/2 weeks. Had a d&c 2 days later. Brought a whole new meaning to "Happy New Year."  Now I'm just waiting for my body to get back to "normal" to start trying once more. Feeling the same as you and looks like I'm on a similar time line.  This was our 4th loss.  I'm here to talk and listen if you want.
Those of you that had multiple D&C for retained placenta after an initial D&C - have you gone onto have more children successfully?  
I'm sorry to hear the loss of our little angels. I am a mother of 4 healthy babies and was shocked when I lost my fifth beloved when was 8 weeks in me.  It was a total nightmare as we were holiday with the children. II had an incomplete miscarriage in the hotel, went to A&E and they 'scrap' the remaining tissues. I needed blood transfusion and now m put under medication to control blood loss and contraction of the uterus. I'm really at a loss as when I take the medicine, I don't bleed except some dried dark clots coming out when I pee. Today I stop the medicine and I'm having painful cramps and bleeding with fresh red clots...really dunno what to do and what to expect. Really wish someone could tell me if this is normal. I'm so loss in a foreign country and m unable to travel home. I really don't want to stress my husband as he is also having a tough time looking after the 4 kids. I'm also trying to continue breastfeeding my 18 mths toddler at the same time. Feeling so empty, scared and fear of the blood loss scenario again :-( hope someone could give me advise
Justonemore2012 - my situation is very similar to yours.  On January 13, we went in for our 12 week appointment and found out that the baby died around 9.5 weeks.  Looking back, I suddenly lost my pregnancy symptoms around 10 weeks.  I had a d&c on January 16th, and only quit bleeding yesterday.  This was my first pregnancy, and it is extremely devastating.  Especially because three of my closest friends are pregnant right now.  I am wondering if you have had any testing done to explain your multiple losses?  My worst nightmare is that I will build up the courage to try again, and then have another miscarriage.  I know for a fact I wouldn't try it for a third time, since I am barely able to consider trying for a second time. How did you decide to try again?  I know these questions are very personal, and I completely understand if you do not want to answer them.  
I just wanted to let you know that I am in a very similar situation as you.  We found out we were pregnant on January 7, 2012 (my husband's birthday) & all was fine at our 8 week appointment.  My nausea stopped around 11 weeks & I thought I was over the "first trimester hump".  But when we went for our 12 week scan (on March 6), the baby had no heartbeat & had stopped developing around 9.5 weeks.  Looking back, I had other symptoms that were decreasing around that time- my hair was wrapped around my fingers in the shower & I kept thinking how odd that was.  I had a D&C the following day.  That was a week ago now, & I'm having bleeding mostly just when I go to the bathroom.  I'm not having any pain, and my husband & I began having sex again only 5 days after the D&C because I wanted to.  I just want to be back to "normal" too and I am scared of this happening again as well.  We weren't "trying" to get pregnant, but were so excited when we did.  I don't want to go through this again, ever. It is an emotional roller-coaster & it is just terrible.  I'm tired & emotionally all over the place, but I know it's not because I'm pregnant, so all of these symptoms (or lack of) just keep reminding me of this horrible experience.  I have been looking at a million websites & message boards, looking for answers to what is going on and what to expect, and this has had the most informative.  Like I said, I'm still having some bleeding, but no big clots & no cramping or pain.  I hope it stops soon though & AF comes back.  I totally understand your fear to try again though. I'm not sure I could handle this again.  Hang in there.
Hello.  I've reviewed many different forums on various sites and have never been so emotionally moved by the stories that many of you have posted.  Thank you for sharing.  Many of your stories brought tears to my eyes as I read because like all of you I have experienced the unfortunate loss that we have had to endure.  I just recently had my third D&C last week (3/12) which contributes to my fourth pregnancy loss.  I gratefully have a handsome and healthy four year old boy whom I now call my miracle.  After what seems like so many losses I figured he was my miracle.  Three months ago (12/12) I had my second D&C which was a complete shock as well.  My husband and I had finally decided it was time to try again after 3 1/2 years.  I had my IUD removed June 2011 and I finally had a positive test right before Halloween.  I had thought everything was fine until I went in for my 10 wk OB appt.  W
Oops, hit the wrong button.  Sorry.  Needless to say that day was unforgettable and I had the procedure later that night.  We figured might as well try again since women are most fertile after a pregnancy.  Well, I had another positive test on 2/6 and I was so happy but skeptical...considering what I just went through.  Unfortunately, it had happened again and it led to another procedure.  I have a follow-up in about another week and pray that I don't have any other complication as some of you had.  I believe that experiences do make us stronger women but like many of you said it takes time to heal.  I pray for all of you and pray that you are blessed with beautiful and healthy babies. Best of luck to you all and thank you for sharing and letting other women receive some comfort from your stories.  
Dear scaredtotryagain178,

I hope that you are in better spirits and haven't given up on trying again.  My first pregnancy was a natural miscarriage--it was like the minute I found out I was pregnant I was already losing it.  In between my four losses I was able to conceive and carry to full term my handsome little guy.  It's tough but I can't believe in only having one child...at least until the doc says it's impossible.  Finally after three D&C's, I am having the tissue tested for whatever they can test it for.  But we have to wait at least six weeks for any results and even then my doc said they may not even be able to test it.  I'm not sure why or how that is but I pray for some answers.  I am about one week post D&C and still slightly bleeding/spotting but I hope that'll diminish within the next week.  Stay positive...as hard as that may seem.    
Hi there.  After reading your post it brought me back to the time I had my second miscarriage (2004).  I was also supposed to be 12 weeks but the fetus had stopped growing at about eight weeks.  That was my first D&C and it was definitely hard to get through it.  I can tell you that counseling helped  me tremendously during that horrible time.  I have had two more D&C's since that time but I am not giving up and pray that you don't either.  Between my losses I was able to conceive to have a handsome and healthy baby boy. My most recent D&C was last week and I'm still having some slight bleeding and pray that it'll subside this week.  Miscarriages are tough and I wish I could say they get easier.  I think what makes it harder at least for me is that I see newborn babies or pregnant women everywhere I go.  I hate to say that I envy them because it is wrong to feel that way.  I know that time will only heal the empty feeling we are experiencing but I pray that time goes by quickly.  Stay positive.
Thank you SO much for this thread. I went for my 12 week appt (2weeks ago) and found out that my baby had stopped developing at 7 weeks. I had a d&c the next day with no complications. Bleeding was light and progressively became heavy over the week. At 8 days post op I woke p drenched in blood and began passing prune sized blog clots. I was terrified something was wrong since the dr did not prepare me for this) until I found this thread. All of your stories and comments have been so helpful. Now that I've found answers for the physical I just need to work through the emotional side of things. Thank you  to everyone who shared here!
I went for my 18 week appt on april 18th  and the dr. found no heartbeat :( I was sent for an ultrasound right away where we discovered the baby had passed away 3-4 weeks earlier.  That night the Dr. induced labor because the baby was too large for a d&c. I delivered a little boy we named Cooper.  And as much grief as I'm ilready going through (from what i"ve read you all understand)  I bled alot for a week and ended up still having placenta and things stuck in my uterus,  SOO back to the hospital we went..for a d&e,  the procedure itself went 'fine' i suppose   and afterward i stopped bleeding the next day.  I was glad because i thought i could start moving forward now.  Now 2 days ago I started bleeding heavy thick red blood, only intermittenly though, it isnt constant, but seems a little alarming none the less.  But having read all of these posts i feel better because i"m not alone.  I pray for you all, for healing and for those who are trying, a full term healthy pregnancy!
I didn't have a miscarriage but I did hemorrhage twice in 7 days after I just had my daughter. Lost 2pints of blood had an emergency d and c and blood transfusion. Now I'm on day four of bleeding how long does it last.... I'm frustrated.
I got pregnant after not knowing if I could even have a baby. I was so excited but i was about nine weeks along and on april 13th I started having horrible pains. I was rushed to the hospital. Well with the following I had a D&C and I went through all the bleeding for about 2 weeks with clots the size of my hand.   Now I have had my first period and it lasted the normal week and 2 days after im bleeding again is this normal? Its like im having another period. It hurts but my doctor said there is nothing wrong with me. I still have the lower back pains and pains on my left side like I did when I first got rushed to the hospital. I haven't been intimate with my guy so I know im not losing another baby. Does anyone have any answers/advice?
I miscarried at around10 weeks. This was noticed after going for a checkup when i began bleeding lightly! I was booked in for a second scan the following week! At that appointment I was booked in for a d&c the week after! During this procedure I really bad and lost 3 litres of blood, requiring a huge transfussion.I believe the surgeon hit an artery somewhere in my cervix. I had to have a saline balloon inserted and a lot of packing! As the surgeon believed the placenta was missed I had to have methotrexate to try and get rid of this! I was in a lot of pain and in hospital for 4 days! I have not had any bleeding at all since I got home. Has anyone had a similar experience to this that can advise me as to my recovery ie periods, intercourse, future pregnancy? Thanks
I recently had a dandc done i was 13weeks i bled for two days after while i was admitted fir my d and c i got a uti and a yeast infextion from the anti biotics they gave me a med but it disnt work i am 5days post op n finally getting relief from the yeast infection but now i am bleeding bright red is this normal?
I was over joyed when I found out I was pregnant.  I have been with my fiance for over 3 years and we have never actually "tried" to get pregnant but we also did not not try if that makes sense.  We thought after being together for that amount of time that we would not be able to conceive so I was very happy when we found out that I was pregnant.  I had my first OBGYN appointment July 27 and I was suppose to be 8 weeks and a few days but the baby only measured at 6 weeks 5 days and had no heartbeat.  The doctor that examined me was very cold and all she said was that the baby stopped developing and had no heartbeat and told me I needed a D&C because there was alot of tissue.  I went home with my fiancee and was absolutely devastated.  I could not stop crying and still can't.  Refusing to believe what the doctor said I started searching the internet looking for some sort of hope.  I called the doctors office back and demanded to be seen by the head of the practice and to have another sono done to get his opinion.  I went on Monday, July 30, and he confirmed that there was no fetal heartbeat.  He explained things to me in detail.  I was scheduled for the D&C the following day July 31.  I am a complete emotional mess.  I am 36 years old and this would have been my first child.  All that I can do is cry.  I just want to lock myself in a room and not come out.  It is heartwrenching.  Reading all of your stories is making me cry too as some of you have had even worse stories.  I am experiencing mild cramping and bleeding on and off.  I have not taken the Ibuprofen that the doctor said I can take.  Trying to get through the pains on my own.  I hope that I do not experience the heavy clotting and what not as alot of you have had to endure.  I am praying that I will be able to have a healthy pregnancy as I desperately want to be a Mom.  I feel truly sorry for all of your losses.  NO ONE knows what your feeling except people that have been through it themselves.  Hopefully time will heal us all.  The doctor also said that I have a tilted uterus so it was somewhat difficult for him to do the D&C.  I just hope they got all of the tissue out because I really don't want to endure another D&C.  I hope the cramping and all subsides as I have to return to work tomorrow.  Praying for us all!
8/29/12 had d and c  at my supposed to be 12 weeks, but  baby is just a size of 9 wks +, mo more heartbeat,  presently still bleeding, been 5 weeks now.  its my 2 nd loss. Worried
Sept. 20 2012 I went to the doctor for some "spotting" hubby and I had sex the night before and I believed that's what it was from so I wasnt too worried but went to ER anyway. The nurse and doctor came in and said they were doing an u/s and they went out while the nurse came back in with a fetal doppler, pressed it against my stomach and told me that was my babys heartbeat! I was 15 weeks 5 days..so they came in a took me back for an u/s feeling unsure but relieved because of the nurse finding a heartbeat.. while I was in the us room the us tech wouldn't tell me or let me see anything so I had to wait for the doctor..it was the  longest wait ever, but again I was a little relieved because of the heartbeat I heard.. The  doctor came in and had a fetal Doppler again and checked for heartbeat..didn't say anything and walked out.. I thought it was strange since he told the nurse it didnt matter to check because of the u/s.. he then came right back in and said I checked with the nurse and she said there was a strong heartbeat, I was checking for it and I didn't hear a fetal tone and the us tech said there was no heartbeat, I am very sorry to tell you this. i was in complete shock..it was awful! So my OB wasn't in town so her partner came to see me and told me he wanted to see me the next day and I had to make a decision.. Either take cytotec to help the process along or have a d&c  well I took the cytotec and scheduled a d&c just in case.. Well over the weekend the pills didn't not work so I went in for a d&c Sept. 24 2012 and she said she had gotten everything out.. that I would have some light bleeding but probably not much.. Well two days later I was passing clots and Having horrible contractions and the meds didn't help them and I even tried a heating pad..nothing worked. I finally said heck with it and went to the ER.. well while at the ER I had to sit for 2 1/2 hours and I filled 3 pads while there plus passed a HUGE clot, about the size of a baseball and a half... I was so scared I went to a different ER and they checked me (pelvic exam) and called my ob she said since I wasn't bleeding heavly right then to come a see her friday or monday. I had an appointment Monday and had still been bleeding a little.. and passing clots, and again my OB had an emergency and I had to see her partner and he gave me a us and some more cytotec and said there was still more blood and clots in there.. again the pills did not work and I seen her a couple days later..she said since I wasn't bleeding heavy that my body would reabsorb some and still continue to bleed more. The next week I went in and seen her she said I had a little clot that didnt want to come out and making me produce more blood. Welp I then took three METHERGINE tablets 3 times a day for one day and one the first day I passed a clot..and started spotting after that..Now my cervix is closing and I don't have much blood at all..only pinkish on toliet paper!! But I am also having these little hard pieces of tissue come out every so often. But other than that I still have a little bit of cramping.. I go back to doctor Oct 22nd, hope its all over by then!! Good luck ladies!!!
I'm so sorry that you experienced this. I can't imaging the trauma you faced or how you could deal with this. You are not a bad mother because this happened to you and I'm sure you did nothing wrong that caused it and if you did you were completely unaware. Don't put this burden on yourself. We all feel somewhat responsible I'm sure and try to figure out when did it happen, why, what was different, etc...in some cases we'll never know. I'm sure you're a great mama :) My best regards for you. Take care.
My husband and I got pregnant on our very first try in sept 2012. I was so excited I instantly wanted to start buying baby things. This was my 2nd pregnancy and my first was perfectly healthy. I had an ultrasound at 10w4d And everything appeared great according to the dr. I was told my cervix was a little enlarged but nothing to worry about schedule an appt in 5 weeks. I went in for my 16 week checkup and they couldn't find the baby's heartbeat so I went in for an ultrasound only to find out the baby had quit growing somewhere a around 11 weeks. I had a d&c the next day and had some cramping with moderate bleeding. This lasted about 4 days and it seemed to be disappearing. About a day later I have had severe bleeding to the point I feel like I'm losing way to much. This has been going on for 4 days now and I've had blood clots of all sizes. The biggest one probably the size of a baseball. I have started taken some medication to make my uterus contract but I'm still bleeding through pads every hour or so. We're hoping this ends soon and we can try to conceive again!
I know this thread has been done for a year but I wanted to post my story here too because I thought it was a little comforting to read everyone's stories.  My baby had a heartbeat in the 140s at my 8 week checkup, but measured only 7 weeks.  I wasn't told this was anything to worry about, and the heart beat was great, so we didn't worry too much.  At my 12 week, the baby had passed, and ultrasound showed him/her at 8 weeks (so I assume I lost them at 9 weeks).  I had a d&c and am still waiting to be done.  I had some heavy bleeding yesterday but was told i need to be lying around, not up on my feet alot, and not picking up my toddler at all unless i'm seated.  as soon as i followed these instructions, I have returned to just the dark, gunky spotting.  So I hope against all that my doctor got "everything" and there won't need to be another procedure.  I took a pregnancy test this morning (3.5 days since d&c) and it is still super positive but I hope that it is decreasing and not something left in me.  This situation is hard enough without having to worry about infection, scarring, and repeat procedures.  My heart goes out to all of you ladies here.  I wish if any of you have positive outcomes or babies since posting you would share them here too.