Maternal & Child Community
Bleeding after a D

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bleeding after a D

I had a D&C for a missed miscarriage almost 3 weeks ago. I barely had any bleeding for 8 days, then bled for 7 days (heavy at times with clots, some cramping), spotted brown discharge for 5 days, until I went to the bathroom this morning and started bleeding--again! Am I healing propery?  I thought my bleeding should have stopped by now, and I read that your first menses after a D&C shouldn't come until at least 20-21 days without any bleeding.

I went in for my 2 week check-up when I was just spotting brown discharge, and the doctor thought everything looked good. I did put in a call to her today, but am awaiting her call back.

So, what do you think?  Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated as I am worried that I'll never get past this trying time.  Thanks in advance.

I am very sorry to heard about your m/c.  That is very sad.  I too recently had a D&C for a m/c and bled on and off for three weeks.  It really scared me too, but my doctor said that it is natural and it is becasue of the hormones being screwed up.  I hope this helps.  Letus know what your doctors said, it could help others.  best wishes.
I thought I heard or was told by my dr after D&C you don't bleed. Is he wrong or mistaken?

I am just not sure A.r. wish I was of more help, but there are lots of ladies here who ahve been through it and can share their own experiences I am sure.
Sorry you are going through this A.R.. If it does continue and is heavy, I would definitely get checked. You could lose alot of blood when you keep bleeding. Cheeseto is right, your hormones are screwy right now. I've had 3 m/c and 1 d & c so I know how you feel. Wouldn't hurt to have you blood checked. Keep taking your vitamins. I wish you tons of luck sweetie and hope everything works out for you. We are hear if you want to chat or have any more questions.
I had a D&C on Sept 23, 2003.  I got home and did not have much bleeding.  4 days later started cramping really bad and bleeding a little.  Cramps lasted for about 3 days.  When I went to the bathroom Weds morning I passed a peice of placenta.  I took it into the dr with me that morning and she thought it should all be out then.  Well 4 days later again I started cramping really bad and called the ER at 4:00 am and they said after 2 weeks it was not normal.  She told me to take some Advil and lay back down.  I was bleeding pretty heavy at this point.  I was able to lay back down and at 7:30 woke up in a pool of blood and went to the bathroom and felt large clots falling into the toilet.  I went to ER and they did an u/s to find that a peice of placenta was at the tip of the uterus.  This was on Oct 5, 2003 so I had to have a second D&C and that took care of everything.  I was pg again in Dec of 03 and all is well so far.  Good Luck to you and I hope you do not have to go in for a second D&C.  Let us know how it comes out.
Thank  you so much for responding to my thread.  It felt so good to know people were kind enough to share the experiences with me or just offer their support.

My doctor's partner called me this evening and seemed to think my hormones were still messed up.  She said let's wait a few more days to see if the bleeding stops.  I mentioned that I would like to take a blood test to check for HCG, and she said we could do that but I could tell she didn't really think it was needed (at least yet).  I wish I did this before she called, but afterwards, I remembered that I had one more FRED test.  I took it and sure enough, it came back positive--faint, but positive!  Three weeks after a D&C, and I still have HCG registering in my urine!

I am just beside myself.  I will call my doctor tomorrow or Wednesday and tell her about my findings.  I just want this to be over--it's been five weeks since the ultrasound detected the sad news.  I thought this would be over by now.

Thanks for letting me vent.  I appreciate your support!!

Sorry to hear about your m/c.  i had my 2nd m/c (at ~ 8.5 weeks)with a d&c Oct 24th. It started out with a light bleed and then stopped and then on Nov 7th came back with a vengence!  I was still bleeding (although much lighter) at Thanksgiving.  I probably bled on and off for 5 weeks. My HCG was checked weekly and was very slow to come down.  My doctor said that's why the bleeding keeps starting and stopping - because your body is just so confused.  Try to just hang in there.  It's been really hard for me.  This cycle I'm on new meds and go in for an IUI tomorrow.  So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one will work and stay put!  Baby dust to all ttc!
Hope you don't mind us using this thread to continue the open forum.
LMAO!!! I cant believe you tested today to.I dont know when i should test again.I think i will saturday frist thing in the morning.I dont know why i test so early after i do i get so mad at myself for not waiting.I dont think this will be my month though.I have been having af like cramps except not as bad.I dont usualy have them this early though.And my bbs are a lil sore.But i dont know guess we will just have to WAIT and see. When are you going to test again? Let me know when you do.  Goodluck and lots of baby dust to you,me and everyone ttc.
Dawnna
could you post jacobs page again i cannot find it
I forgot to post it,But my back has been hurting off and on sence last week.Not bad just a lil bit. Well let me know when you test.

Baby dust to all ttc.

Dawnna
I have cramps too, mostly lower abdomen and slightly in my back. I never get cramps before AF, always a few days after if I get them at all. It just sucks that early pregnancy mocks PMS!! Saturday sounds good to test. I'll probably wait until then if DH doesn't bug me about it. Let me know if you test before then though! The BFP posts are the best!

*******Baby Dust to all************

Hugs,
Heather
Hi there,

I had a missed miscarrige as well and had to have a D&C. After the operation i had mild spotting (watermelon colouring) and it sometimes we darker or lighter - but after about 10 days of this - my regular menstrual cycle kicked in. I think they give you medication to get your cycle going so that your body can devolope a new cycle. The period was teh worst i have ever had in my entire life!! Severe bleeding, paralysing cramping and general body pain - but this was all normal.

I was given Volteren tablets for the muscle pain - and general pain medication like Advil.

I hope this helps.

Also i used to have a 25 days cycle, but now i have a 30 day cycle and this is normal as well.
I had a missed miscarriage in March 04 I was 13 weeks preganant.  I bleed fot 10 ten days. I went back for my two week check up to be told that I would need to have a ERPC.  I had the procedure on the 19th March and bleed for a further 8 days, most of which was very light.  I have just had my first period nearly seven weeks after the procedure.  It has been the worst I have ever had in my life. I have had severe cramps and heavy bleeding with clots for over a week now.  When I think it has all stopped, it then starts again. Previously I have never experienced a period pain in my life so I have found this all to be very scarey.  I am hoping to start trying to get pregnant again soon.  My cycle was always 28 days, will this return soon or will I have anymore of these unusual periods.

Love to hear from anybody soon

Essexgirlie
I had a miscarriage at 9 weeks and had a d&c on may 3, at first i bled just lightly (dark blood), then i started bleeding lightly (red blood), now it is heavier (red blood and some "tissue"), i went to the dr on may 10, he did an exam (sharp pain when he did manual exam) and said my uterus was more tender than he would like and prescribed antibiotics (doryx...), i have taken them for 2 and half days but my tummy still feels "tender" and the bleeding seems heavier, i am concerned.  additionally, when i was in his office he said my uterus felt weird (he said he felt "it" during the d&c as well, said it could be constipation, fibroid, endo) and he wants me to do another sono in 10 days (after citrucel for 10 days and citrate magnesium 24 hrs before sono as i have been terribly constipated), hearing this news was very upsetting because I am ready for this to be over and really wanted to try again for a baby in four months (time the dr recommended waiting before getting pregnant again),  by the way i am 42 and have never had a child, any thoughts on what is going on would be greatly appreciated!
Hi everybody this is the first time i am writing a message, i have read alot of stories here and it has made me feel much better. My story is the following in Jan had a bad flu for 3 weeks ended up anaemic, stopped taking pillas i was going to start trying to get preg. In Feb find out i am preg didn't get a period after the period from stopping pill. In march experience a brown discharge at the Hospital they say it can go one way or other and there is nothing they can do. In April have a scan was supposed to be 8 wks but there is no baby (had a scan at 6 wks in a private clinic and something was seen). Doctor says after the 8 wk scan that i will miscarry soon took my blood levels they were low, he said he preferred a natural miscarriage. After 2 wks no miscarriage so i call doc he says it can take up to 4 wks, so i wait after 4 wks begin to bleed not very heavy and no clots. Call doc after 2 wks of bleeding and he says to come in for a scan, after the scan he says the sac has grown and my body thought i was still preg.(although all the symptoms have gone) He says bleeding is form the sac coming away from body and that it would have taken another 3 wks to miscarry i would have been 16 wks and would be painful. Gave me app. for a d&c for the next day. Everything went smoothly. I have run out of space part 2 coming now!!!
Hi first time here, had alot of comfort reading all your stories am going to write in short sentences if not my story go over limit of page.
Jan- flu 3 wks become anaemic, come off pill get period (want to start trying soon)
Feb-find out i'm pregnant worried as it is to soon and haven't had a period after pill period.
Mar-Brown discharge doc says could be implantation or miscarriage nothing can be done.
Apr-At 8wk scan sac but no baby, at 6wks had seen something on scan.Told i will miscarry had blood taken hcg low.After 2 wks no miscarriage doc says can take up to 4wks. After 4wks bleeding but no clots.After 2 wks bleeding call doc for a scan.He says sac still growing (even though symptoms had gone) it would have taken another 3wks to miscarry and would have been painful, the bleeding i was experiencing was from it coming away. Scheduled me for a d&c for the next day. Everything went smoothly.
I just wanted to finish the story after the d&c doc said if i have bad pains or alot of bleeding to go and see him. well  after the operation i bled all day then it stopped now a week later i have started to bleed not sure if it will get heavier has anybody experienced this, tomorrow is my birthday 26 yrs and i have come out of hosp. with a stinking cold, haven't had a good start for 2004 hope from here on no complications and lets see what happens.

Thanks for reading, hope to get some replies soon
Good luck everyone!!!!

Good luck everyone!!!!
Hello
my period was early 5 days and week after my period I starter spotting brown and a very bad lower pain is this normal, is been like this now for the past 2 days.
I was glad to read that someone else went through what I am going through right now.  I had an ultrasound on 8/3/04 (at 12 weeks) which showed my baby had died 3 weeks earlier.  Had a D&C the next day, and had minimal bleeding and moderate cramps.  5 days later, I had severe cramps and began passing clots the size of prunes.  Bleeding has been on and off ever since - some days I have nothing, but others, I get brown stuff that looks gross.  It's been almost 4 weeks since the D&C, and I am frustrated.  Dr. says that everything looks fine, but I don't feel "fine."  I want to conceive ASAP, but until I get 2 normal periods, I have to wait (according to my dr.)  My HCG levels are dropping very slowly, and I go every week to have them checked.  I want to know how long other women have had to wait until the "brown stuff" stopped coming out, and a normal period began.  I just want to be pregnant again.  This would have been our first, and we are desperately ttc again.  Any stories would be appreciated.  Thanks for listening.
Gosh...it's such a relief to hear there are others out there going through the same - I'm not alone! I'm just 25 yrs, and a little over 4 weeks ago I had a D&C after finding out at my 12 week ultrasound, that I had a "blighted ovum" (...baby hadn't formed inside sac?). We were so sad, and I went in and had the operation. The 2 weeks following I seemed to be getting better, I still had the brown blood spotting though. The day before my 2 week check up, I began experiencing severe cramping at night. Blood became a little more. Saw my Dr. and she put me onto the antibiotics. Cramping and fresh blood came the 3-4 days following, then began to ease and get much better (though small spots of blood still remained). I began my exercise again, and that night I had pain again, and since then the bleeding which has slowly gotten more and fresh. I saw my Dr again, and she perscribed another set of the same antibiotics, and said to come back in a max of 5 days if it doesn't clear up & I will most likely have to go in for another D&C....oh no...it's so disheartening...I feel so fed up and feeling so flat...I am also worried because this latest blood is more consistant and fresh just like my period... and I'm scared of being sent in for the D&C if it is just my period....!!! So exhausted & confused....and worried about being able to concieve (conceive) in the future...
Im a 24 year old woman. I had sex with my boyfriend on the 31st of July 2004 and got my regular periods on the 5th of August

2004. But this month I have not got my periods yet. Can you please tell me what might be the reasons why I have not got my

periods yet? Is there any chance of me becoming pregnant? Please advice me on this.
okay a newbie I am..but i have random Q...everyone else seems to have ahd a m/c to have a D&C...i didnt.never been pregant a day in my life actually...Ive just bled for almost 6 mnths straight..as a healthy (otherwise) 23 yr old..they did the D&C Aug 30 and here it is now im STILL bleeding badly with horrid cramps...I REALLY didnt thikn my period would come back this soon...i think im going to lose it if it doesnt go away..i mean 6 months??  someone please relate..my Dr says im okay but anyone else think this is weird???..thankies..:)
Ok i have a different experience.  I gave birth to my daughter almost 5 months ago.  Normal delivery.  I had been bleeding 5 weeks straight starting last month, heavily.  Went got an ultrasound everything was fine.  Got a D & C last thursday and still spotting brownish but not alot.  Has anyone ever had this problem?  I am hoping it stops soon.
I had a d &c on 11 Nov 07 due to an anembryonic pregnancy kind of disappointed. But since the procedure I have had bad headaches and cramps with expolsion of blood clots. I hope my body will get back in shape soon so I can get back in the baby making game.

Delilah
i have recently had a D and C after a m/c and i was told i would bleed for upto 7-10 days. its 2 weeks later and i ahve hemeraghed so badly..i have sought medical advice as i am in a great deal of pain, down my left leg and in my groin but i have contracted an infection which is quite common after and evacuation. I am 2 lots of antibiotics and i am hoping it will clear up. I really know what you are going thru and as well as the physical problems i know you will be trying to conquer the psychological effects too. Hang in there honey and i am sorry you are having to go thru this but i am sure there is light ata the end of the tunnel. God bless you x
Wow, i kinda feel better now that I know other women have had similar experiences.  At 12 weeks pregnant, my U/S revealed the the embryo had stopped developing at 6 weeks and no longer had a heartbeat.  I had my D & C on May 22nd and there was little bleeding in the two weeks that followed.  Then, all of a sudden, two weeks later, I had massive bleeding, to the point where blood was soaking my jeans and dripping on the floor (even with a super heavy pad!)  This has happened at least three times since then, the most recent being the day before yesterday - and at my new job no less!  I have noticed that the heavy bleeding episodes occur when my periods should be due.  The thing is, I had an abortion last November and the procedure was very much the same as a D & C and the same thing happened afterwards.  I bled for weeks on end (I think it was a total of 3 months), some days it was light bleeding, some days I didn't bleed at all, but the bleeding was really heavy on the days I normally would have had my period.  Then in February of this year, I finally had a normal cycle, and what do you know, I got pregnant - which unfortunately was the pregnancy that I miscarried.  

I was doing some research on 'incompetent cervix' where the cervix is weak from the trauma of D & C and is perhaps unable to retain the blood and hence lets it all out in one big gush?  The diagnosis seems specific only for pregnant women though.  It could even be that my hormones are still out of whack?  Its debilitating though because I'm contantly worried that I will be out somewhere and all of sudden I'm bleeding everywhere!  

Anyway, thank you for sharing your experiences.  It was comforting to know that I am not the only one who has been through all this.
On Febuary i found out that i was 8wks pregnant. i was very excited because i was told that i was having twins. Then on February 28th i found out that there was no fetal heartbeat and a D&c would need to be done. on March 2nd i had the d&c done and was bleeding lightly for a couple of days. then on march 31 i got my 1st menstrual period after the D&c and was happy that it was coming down normal it lasted 7 days and 5 days later i started to spot very light pink blood. is this normal? I'm very very scared!!!!!
Please help!!!

thank you
Mrs.Worried
I had my D&C exactly a week ago Monday after being pregnant for 7weeks. I stopped bleeding Friday. Yesterday I started again but it's dark red blood with clots and I'm having cramps. So I know exactly how you feel. I would also like to know if this is normal and if I should be worried or not. This was my second miscarriage. The first one I did not need a D&C as my body expelled everything naturally. That was more than 4years ago so I cant remember for how long I bled for.......
I'm so tired and I just want this to end now, I want my life to go back to normal!!!!
Hello! I know this is a very hard time for everyone to have a miscarriage and then most of all not to know what to expect. It helps to have others who have been there and hear their story and know you're not the only one and what you are experiencing are normal even though very painful.  I was 12 weeks pregnant, found out on my 12 week US that the baby stopped growing at 8wk 6day and had no heartbeat. I had an US two days later on 6/29/10. I had mild bleeding and cramps initially then 2 days after my D & C, I had severe pain/abdominal cramps, bleeding with prune size clots, that felt like it was gushing out of me when I stood, so I couldn't even stand, I took Motrin/Vicodin like they told me and it helped. Today, 4 days after my D & C, i thought i was getting back to my normal self, the bleeding/cramps have subsided again, so I didn't take my Motrin, then out of nowhere, again severe cramps where it paralyzes you with bleeding again. They want me to take this medicine called Cytotec, which will cause uterine contractions to get the blood clots to pass. I am scared to so I will wait until after my US tomorrow AM to see if I need to really take it. Is it normal to pass blood clots and tissue after a D & C? I thought it was suppose to take care of all that. I am soo scared, I am a big baby, 1st pregnancy and all. I have no one to ask about this who have been through this already. This site is such a blessing, to read other people's stories and know that you are not alone. Thank you! May God bless you all!
i had a mc on sept6th and a dnc on the 12th i have had 4 mc's in all the first three everything passed no dnc this one i had to have a dnc and i just started a period on the 6th of oct soooo scary it has been soooo heavy and really dark red i've been reading these stories and it seems that this is pretty normal so i guess i'll keep taking vitamins and iron pills for a few more days and see if this passes good luck to all others dealing with this problem.
I had a d&c last week (Thursday) for a missed miscarriage. After a few days of decreasing bleeding, I started cramping, bleeding heavily and passing clots. The doc did a vaginal ultrasound on Monday and said my uterus was full of blood and clots that my cervix was not letting out. I did two doses of Cytotec but no real change. The bleeding decreased again for 3 days but on Thursday they did another ultrasound that showed my uterine lining was still 3cm thick. (Apparently 1cm is normal for a heavy period).  

The doc said the uterus apparently didn't contract after the first d&c, so it continues to bleed. Then the clots/blood irritate it so it won't contract, making it a feedback cycle. So I had another d&c and this time they gave me Cytotec at the end of the surgery. Apparently this was to make the uterus contract immediately, not allowing it to fill with blood.

I'm worried that this will continue and I'll end up having to have so many d&cs that my uterus is scarred or, worst case, a hysterectomy.  So today I'm trying everything I can to get the uterus to contract: I have an appointment with an acupuncturist/herbalist tomorrow. And I'm intensively looking at pictures of my first children when they were babies, especially those of me breast feeding, and doing nipple massage, because the hormone oxytocin should contract the uterus.  (This is what happens during breastfeeding after a live birth).

I'd encourage anyone who is experience new bleeding after a d&c to contact their doctor and ask for a vaginal ultrasound. And anyone who just had a d&c-- do everything you can to get your uterus to contract again.
Its so nice to have a place were you can come and actually say ehats on ur mind.i just foubd out today that my pregnancy was not good.i thought I was 11 weeks but the baby stop growing at 5weeks.they did two sono to make sure.i was schedule for a D&C on saturday am so scared.i wish I knew what to expect....i really wanted this baby but I guess it wasnt possible.i have a question how soon afther can we try agai ..?thanx everyone vely
I had a miscarriage on 19th Feb 2011 (13weeeks 5 days), I was bleeding on and off up till 27th Feb 2011 when I had to be taken to hospital via an ambulance due to major bleeding and lots of clotting, went home late that night due to bleeding stopping again. Kept bleeding on and off finally got the doctor to send me for a D&C on 29th March 2011. Now 2nd April2011 heavy bleeding started, today the 3rd April 2011 bleeding is heavier than yesterday and looks like it is starting to get that thick clotting look to it. Sick of bleeding just want it to be over, want to move on it is ruining my life, please help.
I just had a mc 7 days ago, I never had a d and c and no one has done a pelvic exam on me. I think I was about 6 week, so not far along. However I am bleeding and clotting and in more pain at this 7 day point than the night I miscarried. So far I have only seen clots and blood, I never have passed a placenta or nothing. The night in the ER they did a sono on my belly that is it. I dont know what is going on. I only know I am in pain I tried to return to work on Monday and everytime I get upset or try doing anything I start hurting and bleeding
I recently had a D &C in March  2014 after I lost my 3 months pregnancy. I don't think bleeding after a MC is a good sign. after my MC and D&C no bleeding and everything is getting normal again