Maternal & Child Community
Bleeding after a urinary catheter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bleeding after a urinary catheter

Ok, this isn't exactly a "maternal" question...Has anyone experienced bleeding after having a urinary cathetor removed?  Mine was in for a little over an hour and I was made to move off one bed into a wheel chair, onto another table, then off again and into the wheelchair then back onto the bed.  I'm sure this caused irritation but this was Saturday afternoon and it's now monday evening and i'm still bleeding.  It's fresh blood becuase it's bright red...It usually comes out when I urinate, it's making it to a panty liner but if I go to the bathroom and wipe before I even urinate there is some blood but more after going.  I'm trying to determine if this bleeding is a result of the cathetor or from the pregnancy....Also my insides feel like they've been pummeled.  Just a gas bubble passing through my intestines cuases some pretty bad discomfort/pain.  When I urinate it hurts during and even after for a minute or two...not burning like in the urethra but pain inside like it's my bladder.  I feel bloated but I'm not really gassy and judging from my calculations i'm only about 5 weeks (give or take some days) post conception.  What's going on in there?????
it is common to get a uti after having a catheter. i'm not speaking from first hand experience, but i have seen enough of my grandparents go in and out of the hospital to know that it is very common. definitely call your dr asap, as a uti can turn into a bladder or kidney infection.
i did have a catheter when i had dd. i did not experience any bleeding.
I am also about 5-6 weeks pregnant and had to have a catheter on Sunday in the ER.  I had a cyst on my ovary, and they needed to do an ultrasound.  I had a tiny spot of pink on my tissue that afternoon and it was painful and burning when I urinated just that day.  By Monday, all the symptoms from the catheter were gone.  I hope this helps...I also had to move from bed to wheelchair to bed to wheelchair.  I hated it!  I hope everything works out OK for you!