Maternal & Child Community
Bleeding after sex during late late pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I'm sorry if this is TMI but I just need to know.
Last night after my husband and I had sex, I bled for a while.
Sex wasn't uncomfortable and I haven't had any signs of an infection so I was worried. I shouldn't really say bleeding, it was more like slimy discharge with blood in it. It did stop after probably an hour though.

Is it normal?? THis morning I feel really tender down there.
I'm 34 wks and I have started my one week appointments so I can ask my doctor Friday but was wondering if you ladies had any idea in case I needed to contact him today.

My baby is not acting different or anything. He's still moving around like crazy. I did notice that when I took a shower this morning, he was really low, REALLY REALLY Low. He seems to have moved back up a little though.  Any help would be so appreciated.
Thank you
I had a similat problem, and spoke with my Dr. about it.  He gave me the whole lecture about how your cervix is VERY sensitive and that i probably burt a few blood vessels during sex. And how if it worried me, then to be more gentle during sex.  He also said that at this late stage, that the baby's head could be engaging and causing irritation at the cervix and breaking a few vessels that way.  There are so many reasons why it could happen...i have a friend who made herself bleed from having a bowel movement (TMI, i know).  If it worries you, then call your Dr. so that he can at least have it on file that it happened....that way he can follow up on it at your appointment.  Good luck, you're almost there!!!!
I never bled during sex, but at one of my last visits during the last month or so, I had my gyno check my cervix to see if I was dialated..An hour or so after the exam, I sarted to bleed, like how you described. I was totally freaked out and called back a nurse. She said that late in pregnancy, the cervix is thinning and is more sensitve, so bleeding after an exam or rough sex is not uncommon..The blood was probably coming from you cervix or around there, and not from your uterus. But since you are going to see you doc this week, it wouldn't hurt to ask.
When it happened with me, it wasn't rough either.  I think it was just how sensitive my cervix was.  At the later stages of pregnancy, the blood vessels are very dilated, and like the other poster said, the cervix is thinning.  Don't ever be afraid to ask your Dr. a question.  I was the same way with my pregnancy, i called a lot.  But when it comes to the health of your baby, the only stupid question is the one not asked.   That's why they have the on-call nurses at many offices.  I was a worry wart too!  And I still know my Dr.'s # by heart..lol.
Thank you both very much.
I freak out really easy I guess. My poor doctor. He laughs at me sometimes because I will go see him for just about anything.

Do you think that, even if it wasn't rough sex, it would be normal for the cervix to bleed?? It really wasn't rough at all. I'm a worry wart, can ya tell?

Thank you both for your comments. I appreciate you both
I had this last night too!! i was quite worried. i called my midwife and she said exactly the same thing about the cervix thinenin out and to avoid having sex now. im only 31 weeks and after my brothers partner lost there baby this time last yr i really freaked out. i had to get my partner to speak to the midwife as i was hysterical. apparently when babys head locks in too that can cause spotting?? i checked myself again this morning and its all normal and baby is still moving a lot just like normal! he just feels a lot lower n now i walk with my legs further apart and waddle around shops.

Also has any of you's got to the point where you thought you were going to wet yourself? strange i know. i get the feeling every now and again but it seemed a lot stronger this morning when i went to the shops. i had to make my journey short and come back asap! im also getting pains just above my pubic bone and tightenings a few times every day (apparently its just braxton hicks) but i can feel baby push down when i get them!!!
Many different things occur during [url=http://www.chacha.com/topic/ovulation]pregnancy[/url] , I think you shouldn't be alarmed it could actually be normal.