Maternal & Child Community
Bleeding after vaginal delivery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bleeding after vaginal delivery

How long does bleeding last after you deliver? I gave birth to my son 3 weeks ago and I'm still bleeding! My doctor has lifted all my restrictions except sex and he said I can start swimming and bathing once the bleeding stops. I am going to visit family in Indiana this Thursday and they have a beautiful pool that I would like to enjoy with my 9 year old, but it just don't seem to be letting up!!
You can bleed anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks. I didn't stop bleeding until about 4 1/2 weeks after giving birth to my daughter.
you probably won't be able to go swimming with you 9 year old. when did you stop bleeding when you gave birth to your other child??? that might give you an idea of when you'll stop! mine didn't stop for about 7 or 8 weeks after i gave birth, but it was mostly just spotting.. nothing heavy
i am at 7 plus weeks and still bleeding

my doc at 4 weeks said I could still not do anything until after 6
hows little Brian doing, sounds like everything is well. i blead with my daughter for 2 months almost, Trevor on the other hand i have been just spotting off in on now, there will be a day i dont bleed and the next will spot. im asking the same question as you..WHEN will it stop, i guess the only way we will no is when it happens doctors and stuff say 4 to 6 wks from what ive heard but everyones body is different...

i hope you can go swimming with your 9 yr old, im sure she would enjoy that since most of your time is with the little one.

my family went to the beach today, i let my daughter swim and play and she just had a blast of fun, she started crying because she didnt want to go home.

hope all is well hope to hear from you with updates.
ksanden
Thanks for your replies. I dont remember it last this long with my first child, but that was 10 years ago. Its no big deal though, I just wanted to be able to get wet and have some fun with my son since I am always so busy with the baby. There are plenty of other thing to do with him! I also thought it was weird that my Doctor didnt tell me 6 weeks. He told me I can exercise and everything?? It seems early, but I've been doing it everyday and I feel fine.

ksanden,
       I hope all is going well with your baby. We are still having sleepless nights, but hes worth it. My husband did all the feedings Friday night and I got anbout 9 hours of good sleep. Boy did I need that!! Hey have you ever been to talkingbabies.com? Its a nice website! You can become a VIP member for free and create a webpage about your baby with pictures. I have been a member since I got pregnant. My page is full of belly pics, nursery, and baby Brian pics. I used is as my journal when I was pregnant. Its a great place to chat with other moms! check it out if you get time! My screen name is the sam eon that site.

my sister bleed untill 3 months, but the bleeding came and go, so i think it is not something so weired, but ask your doctor, there is something that i saw yesterday called "the cup" it might help, check it up. and what about tampons, or the swiming diapper as babies lol... joking with the last one.
10 years ago when i had my son i was still bleeding VERY heavily when i went back for my 6 week checkup.  since it was still very heavy, the doc gave me meds to stop my bleeding....but he told me it was only because i was bleeding so heavy too.
I stopped bleeding at about 5 weeks....
My first I bleed for 7 weeks Good luck!
I had my baby June 3rd, and I bleed continually for about 2 weeks, then spotted, now it's like every other day I'll start to bleed a little, a little more than spotting though.  

I can't remember with my other two, but boy is it annoying, especially when it has stopped, and then in a day or two, it starts again!  I too want to go swimming with my other two kids.  I have my 6 week appointment in 2 more weeks, I can't wait.